DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DJ's Caught CHEATING on DJ MAG TOP 100.....

DjWoody 8:43 PM - 10 October, 2007
----- ARTICLE -----
www.djmag.com
-------------------

From DJ Mag:

This year we’ve been appalled and disgusted to discover suspicious voting irregularities in our Top 100 DJs poll.

For the first time ever, now that DJmag is wholly independent again, the votes in this year’s poll have been collated in-house, and while in previous years we’ve relied on technology to weed out suspect votes, this year it’s been proved that there’s nothing more effective than the naked eye.

With 345,000 votes cast by email, publisher James Robertson has spent a ridiculous number of man-hours going through each vote. His discoveries have resulted in several DJs being disqualified from this year’s poll.

Roberston explained: “This year, I made a decision to investigate votes where the same IP address appeared over 50 times for the same person. The chances of the same person getting voted for by 50 different computers each having been allocated the same IP address within a week would be billions to one.”

The biggest DJs at the centre of our investigation were US stars Christopher Lawrence and DJ Dan. Both shared the same marketing manager.

“In both their cases, a script was used to bypass our security system,” said Roberston. “Not only did we get multiple votes from the same IP address, but we got multiple votes from multiple IP addresses — in other words, we received in excess of 50 votes from the same IP address on over 20 occasions.

Both Lawrence and Dan vehemently denied any involvement in vote rigging. “I take this matter very seriously,” said DJ Dan. “My assistant and I confronted my former marketing manager via telephone. He strongly denied any wrongdoing, but had no credible explanation for the improper voting. Christopher Lawrence, who used the same marketing person this year, reported similar voting problems.

When I discovered the common link was our marketing person, I immediately terminated him.”

Lawrence’s lawyer Kent Liu said: “My clients are willing to declare under oath that they themselves did not purchase or use a script, nor did they instruct any person in their employ to do so.”

(ok this part gets funny)
Chinese cheat DJ Tiesmi admitted paying cash for votes. “Tiesmi explained to me that it cost 4000 Yuan (£260) for 100,000 votes. He had paid a software engineer to create a script to by-pass our security code,” said Roberston. “However, it became apparent very quickly that Tiesmi was cheating when he raced to the No.1 spot within hours of the voting starting.

“His friend Yutise, who seemed to appear on the same bill as Tiesmi, as the second DJ, was also investigated. He explained that it was not him cheating, but his crazed fans who he had no control over,” said Robertson. “It’s funny though that the world’s biggest DJs, like PvD and Tiësto, don’t seem to have such problems.” (lmfao... i'll bite my tongue for the moment on this)

More voting irregularities surround the Flash Brothers from Israel — we detected over 1300 votes from the same IP address. They blamed “friends and family”.

In a statement to DJmag, they said: “It appears that some of our friends and family simply wanted to surprise us at all costs and help our cause. We certainly do not condone such behaviour. We feel very distraught about this whole affair. We accept full responsibility for this affair but are quite adamant it boils down to sheer stupidity and oversight.”

Hong Kong DJ Erick Junior has been dubbed “the fastest cheat in the East” after a four-day avalanche of votes saw him shoot to third position in the poll. Like the others, he has been disqualified. DJmag Editor Lesley Wright commented: “It’s outrageous that DJs should attempt to cheat. It shows a blatant disregard for the Top 100 poll, for DJ Magazine and, most importantly, for their fellow DJs. Shame on them
DJRodrigoSM.br 8:57 PM - 10 October, 2007
Do you guys thing DJ Mag's Top 100 is even relevant anymore? I bet there's more than a handful of people on this forum that are better DJs in every aspect than, say, the "bottom 60" on the list. Except for popularity, maybe.
I'll say this much: I can congratulate Tiesmi, Yutsie and Erick Junior for helping discredit this thing. Very nicely done.
DjWoody 8:59 PM - 10 October, 2007
Whether we like it or not, being on the Top 100 on DJ Mag means more bookings and more money. Promoters use this thing as a measuring tool to book DJ's.
nik39 9:04 PM - 10 October, 2007
lol.

C'mon... posting 50 votes from the same IP? Dumassses. If you have the knowledge to code an automated script firing of the votes I assume it is not hard for you to code something where you use proxies spread all around the globe, resulting in different IP addresses.

Rook's.
KaGeN 9:07 PM - 10 October, 2007
throw a party - all your peeps login to vote for you.. not too far fetched.. I do it all the time LOL
De LA 9:08 PM - 10 October, 2007
Fuck em. Yeah even the DJ's.
Julls 9:10 PM - 10 October, 2007
Good read. Thanks Woody!
dj_soo 10:47 PM - 10 October, 2007
what's awesome is now they've published exactly how to get a DJ disqualified.
Crickett 10:49 PM - 10 October, 2007
Quote:
Which is why these poles are garbage.

Nobody gives a damn about these polls..If these guys can cheat..They can all cheat.
a-swift 11:00 PM - 10 October, 2007
it's like baseball. if you're not cheating, you're not trying.
Beale Dabbs 11:14 PM - 10 October, 2007
Quote:
lol.

C'mon... posting 50 votes from the same IP? Dumassses. If you have the knowledge to code an automated script firing of the votes I assume it is not hard for you to code something where you use proxies spread all around the globe, resulting in different IP addresses.

Rook's.

Bingo. It wasn't just those guys doing it. They were just doing it badly. I wish they'd drop doing that poll altogether. I get sick of the myspace bulletin onslaught around voting time.

I just saw DJ Dan on Sunday.
DJBlisk 11:24 PM - 10 October, 2007
I've seen that homo (DJ Dan), so many times and hes so boring...

the homo reference was not meant as an insult since the guy is really gay.
DJ.ReFRESH 11:45 PM - 10 October, 2007
^^ homo hater
DJBlisk 11:47 PM - 10 October, 2007
hahahah. you going to Vice' B-day tomorrow ReFRESH?
KaGeN 11:49 PM - 10 October, 2007
I could give a rats ass if he's catchin or pitchin..... Dude has spun some damn good sets in the past and rocked it like sumtin fierce.
DJMark 11:53 PM - 10 October, 2007
I had the pleasure of meeting DJ Dan for the first time last week while I was DJ-ing, and he seems like an extremely nice down-to-earth guy. He isn't the first DJ I know of who's had to deal with shady "management" tactics.

DJBlisk, to put it as nicely as possible, your "logic" escapes me.
DJBlisk 11:56 PM - 10 October, 2007
Quote:
I could give a rats ass if he's catchin or pitchin..... Dude has spun some damn good sets in the past and rocked it like sumtin fierce.

All I said that his set was boring to me. the homo reference wasn't an insult.. he's probably the greatest guy in the world. You guys are way too sensitive.

I would rather listen to "Switch" KaGeN, but thats my personal opinion.
nik39 11:57 PM - 10 October, 2007
Quote:
I've seen that homo (DJ Dan), so many times and hes so boring...

the homo reference was not meant as an insult since the guy is really gay.

If this is not meant as an insult, why does it have to be mentioned here? I dont see that it adds any additonal information which we need to know.
DJBlisk 11:57 PM - 10 October, 2007
Quote:
I had the pleasure of meeting DJ Dan for the first time last week while I was DJ-ing, and he seems like an extremely nice down-to-earth guy. He isn't the first DJ I know of who's had to deal with shady "management" tactics.

DJBlisk, to put it as nicely as possible, your "logic" escapes me.

All I said that his set was boring to me. the homo reference wasn't an insult.. he's probably the greatest guy in the world. You guys are way too sensitive..

I forgot how homophobic you guys are on this board. I use to live in SF and.... aaahhh forget it.
DJBlisk 11:58 PM - 10 October, 2007
I take it back. I take it back. I apologize.
KaGeN 11:58 PM - 10 October, 2007
damnit - it that a backhanded compliment or what??
DJMark 12:15 AM - 11 October, 2007
Quote:
All I said that his set was boring to me. the homo reference wasn't an insult.. he's probably the greatest guy in the world. You guys are way too sensitive..

Look, I'm not trying to give you or anyone else a hard time here, but try reading this for example:

"I've seen that negro (DJ whoever), so many times and hes so boring...

the negro reference was not meant as an insult since the guy is really black."

The word "homo" is generally not considered a term of endearment by gay people (seems a pretty small step away from the f-word, much the same as "negro" seems a small step from the n-bomb), and using it in an open forum (whatever the reason, or attempted humor value) just seems like bad form.

I'm not prepared to tag anyone here as "homophobic", by the way. My sincere belief is that most are perfectly nice people who occasionally get a little careless. It's worth keeping in mind that there are many more people reading here than are actually posting.
DjWoody 12:34 AM - 11 October, 2007
Isn't Dj Dan actually gay? I heard he was.
DJMark 12:40 AM - 11 October, 2007
Quote:

Who cares?
Julls 12:45 AM - 11 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Who cares?

+1
DjWoody 1:00 AM - 11 October, 2007
The only reason why I said it was because of the sexual reference that was made towards him. When someone is gay, and they are called a HOMO it is much worse. Quite honestly, I don't care if Dan is or not. Actually, I met the guy before and I had the please to interview him. He is a very cool guy, chill and down to earth. He definitely knows how to rock a crowd.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:18 AM - 11 October, 2007
^^LOL some of you guys are doing Freudian slips on your own already....

Man, this thread will be fucked (no homo) when sixxx gets here and starts to edit the quotes...
DJ Prinvale` 4:09 AM - 11 October, 2007
While I like looking at the list they release when it's all said and done it has never influenced who I like more or less. I always base that on my own criteria.
DrStank 5:58 AM - 11 October, 2007
LOL @ comparing homophobia to racism.

(DJ whoever) can't change his skin color... but the other guy can stop kissing other boys. Or at least keep it to himself.

I wish someone would try and tell me that me being called a sand-ni**er is the same as Blisk calling Dan a homo.
DJMark 8:14 AM - 11 October, 2007
Quote:
(DJ whoever) can't change his skin color... but the other guy can stop kissing other boys. Or at least keep it to himself.

"Stupidest comment in the thread" award goes to you. Congratulations.
nik39 8:24 AM - 11 October, 2007
Quote:

It is based on exactly the same concept.
feniks 2:22 PM - 11 October, 2007
who wants popcorn?
Nicky Blunt 3:39 PM - 11 October, 2007
ok so sidestepping the homo convo

Im not really that interested in dj mag or its biased views towards edm tiesto best dj?

What happened to craze netik q-bert MMM & the millions more I could name!

Sheeet thats like putting sixxx 2nd over Johnny M
dj luis 3:49 PM - 11 October, 2007
are you guys thinking this thru ?

i bet this is only a maneuver to whatafuckwhatever...

if they are bright enough to pay someone to vote for them and get disqualified, why not do the same thing to 'the giants'?

why not disqualify tiesto, pvd, oakenfold ? i bet 100 votes from the same pc for those are totally acceptable...

story doesn't seem right to me.. pieces of the puzzle defo missing here...
a-swift 3:54 PM - 11 October, 2007
Can't we all just quote rodney king?
DrStank 4:01 PM - 11 October, 2007
"OWWWWWW!!!! I ain't do nuthin'!"

- Rodney King
DJBlisk 4:03 PM - 11 October, 2007
Are we all still on this? I apologized for it. Let it go. I forgot how close minded and sensitive a lot of you are.
nothing0011 4:08 PM - 11 October, 2007
Quote:

Not to derail the topic but are you the same Steve Dub who made the STEVE DUB mix of Mondo Grosso's SHININ'?
s42000 4:10 PM - 11 October, 2007
I hate to use this language but DJ Mag is the opposite of 'no homo'
a-swift 6:41 PM - 11 October, 2007
Quote:
"OWWWWWW!!!! I ain't do nuthin'!"

- Rodney King

uhhh. that wasn't quite the qoute i was thinking of, but holy shit that was funny!
DrStank 7:16 PM - 11 October, 2007
Quote:
Can't we all just quote rodney king?

"Ahh shit, my leg!!!"

- Rodney King

better?
DjWoody 7:24 PM - 11 October, 2007
Quote:
ok so sidestepping the homo convo

Im not really that interested in dj mag or its biased views towards edm tiesto best dj?

What happened to craze netik q-bert MMM & the millions more I could name!

Sheeet thats like putting sixxx 2nd over Johnny M

Anyone can vote for any DJ they like. As a matter of fact, Q-Bert and several other Turntablists used to be in it. But, their fans don't vote.
Serato, Support
Matt G 9:50 PM - 11 October, 2007
Quote:

I wish someone would try and tell me that me being called a sand-ni**er is the same as Blisk calling Dan a homo.

DrStank, this comment is way out of line and grossly offensive. If you continue with this line of reasoning on this forum then I will put you on permanent ban. I have already made you sufficiently aware that attacking any group of people on this forum is not acceptable.
Mr. $weetlife 10:44 PM - 11 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

DrStank, this comment is way out of line and grossly offensive. If you continue with this line of reasoning on this forum then I will put you on permanent ban. I have already made you sufficiently aware that attacking any group of people on this forum is not acceptable.

Yes! Let's nip this in the bud immediately! I don't know how DrStank's comment contributes anything of substance to this conversation.
DrStank 10:45 PM - 11 October, 2007
Or how you bringing it up brings anything to the table...
DJ Michael Basic 12:15 AM - 12 October, 2007
I like sandwiches.
dj luis 4:45 AM - 12 October, 2007
what's the thing about not saying nigger in the forums ? why everybody censors the word ?

(i am black so don't give the 'you're-being-racist')

don't tell me over us black people get all offended when they're called niggers or black...

or do they ?
sixxx 4:46 AM - 12 October, 2007
Quote:
what's the thing about not saying nigger in the forums ? why everybody censors the word ?

(i am black so don't give the 'you're-being-racist')

don't tell me over us black people get all offended when they're called niggers or black...

or do they ?

Actually, no. Not all. It's actually the people who ARE NOT BLACK that usually get offended. hahaha. Go figure.

That's what happens with being too politically correct. It starts backfiring.
dj luis 1:00 PM - 12 October, 2007
lol - oh well - sometimes i don't get it - i rather be called black than colored - and i'm black so no really offense here

afro-american ? please.. BLACK!
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:23 PM - 12 October, 2007
Quote:
lol - oh well - sometimes i don't get it - i rather be called black than colored - and i'm black so no really offense here

afro-american ? please.. BLACK!

+ 1

I never understood that. I lost my Afro in the early 80's (or was it 79), got the slant Fade.
J_Static 4:05 PM - 12 October, 2007
Quote:

Who cares about these polls anyways, and who's really appointed to say these are the top DJ's....

Shows just about everyone is a CHEAT!
Beale Dabbs 6:02 PM - 12 October, 2007
My wife just told that someone posted a bulletin on myspace with the article about the fake voting. They had the comments turned on and people were posting their jokes about it. She said there was a comment from DJ Dan that said "I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling kids!"

Pretty damn funny.
allenbina 9:10 PM - 12 October, 2007
Quote:
My wife ... posted a ... article about ... fake ... kids

whatever dude, that doesnt even make sense.
J_Static 9:31 PM - 12 October, 2007
hahaha allenbina!
S1d 11:11 AM - 13 October, 2007
I've always wondered about these voting things. It does seem easy that someone could hack the votes. That's a bummer about Christopher Lawrence and DJ Dan, I think it'll be a bad look whether they were involved directly or not. Although I think C.L. is a good dj, I was very suprised he was #4 last year, so I wouldn't doubt it.

On the other hand, isn't dj mag a UK publication? I wonder if they were targeting UK djs.
S1d 11:24 AM - 13 October, 2007
I read that the same thing happened to PVD last year, but they only discounted those votes and didn't say anything else about it. So why not just throw those votes out instead of dragging their name through the mud. For all anyone knows it could've been a teenage fan who wrote those scripts.
dj luis 12:24 PM - 13 October, 2007
would be cool to write scripts for everybody and totally kill the voting competition.. how sweet would that be ?
dj_soo 10:30 PM - 13 October, 2007
someone make a script for tiesto plz
Nicky Blunt 6:16 PM - 14 October, 2007
Quote:
someone make a script for tiesto plz

+ Infinty xs Infinty2
DJRodrigoSM.br 6:24 AM - 16 October, 2007
The only thing that really matters to me is in the very beginning of the article: "For the first time ever, now that DJmag is wholly independent again" (...). I'd love to see them call the whole thing a scam and pull the plug on this years election altogether. That might shake things up in a good way.
A look at the first 3 and then the most recent 3 REALLY puts things in perspective. Last year you would find Dave Seaman at 95, behind quality acts such as Skazi, Yahel and Infected Mushroom. Far more interesting is to plot the list on a map. What once was a rather UK thing, with some european input has changed drastically now.