DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Flex FX... is anybody using it and what are you using??

DJ Complete 7:51 PM - 12 September, 2007
The only downside to the 57 is the lack of effects compared to what I had on my Numark DXM. I saw that you can plug in an outside FX sampler and i was wondering what others were using with flex fx and what kind of success they were having. I was thinking about getting a kaoss pad.... anybody using that??? Any Feedback would help!! Thanks

Complete
Super Mario 8:09 PM - 12 September, 2007
I'm using a Pioneer 500
nik39 8:11 PM - 12 September, 2007
ssl-wiki.help.bootlegs.de <- click, TTM57 w/o Efx... that would be baaad. :)
DJCheLu 9:03 PM - 12 September, 2007
I have a efx500 but i tried it a few times and havent used it since. Its just so ridiculously easy to engage effects using the above method all on the mixer in seconds.
Super Mario 10:06 PM - 12 September, 2007
The 500 has more effects and are easier to use in my opinion currently because you don't have to change groups on the 57 and visually you always know the state of the settings for whatever effect is on standby so to speak.
Thundercat 10:37 PM - 12 September, 2007
Quote:

+1

No group changing necessary to engage effects AND settings always visible on the right side of the hardware panel (when expanded).
nik39 10:40 PM - 12 September, 2007
Ooops, I meant TTM57 w/o FlexFx ... that would be baaaad.
Super Mario 4:04 AM - 13 September, 2007
No group change is necessary to engage, but it is to change effect type, and currently the 57 only has two. Maybe once there are updates to the types and what not I'll use them more, but for now I find the 500 better and I don't mind lugging it around if I have to.
Super Mario 4:32 AM - 13 September, 2007
I do agree however that if you just want to use one or the other, especially for the echo effect, this tip is SWEET as hell! Kudos on it Nik39...
cheeba (the believer) 9:45 AM - 13 September, 2007
www.imuso.co.uk

sweet and simple
dj-b 2:55 PM - 13 September, 2007
Thanks a lot nik39. That's one thing I hated about using the 57sl at the club I'm at is that there were too many buttons to push to use the delay effect and then go back to a cue point. Your wikipedia entry REALLY helps out.
dj-b 10:11 PM - 13 September, 2007
I ran into a problem. Everything from your wiki is working except for getting the pad lock show up next to the bpm. It is just keeping a random bpm that I set. How do I get it to clock the actual bpm of every track I load?
nik39 10:14 PM - 13 September, 2007
Are your tracks already BPM'ed?
dj-b 10:20 PM - 13 September, 2007
yes they are
dj-b 10:24 PM - 13 September, 2007
whats weird is that its showing the bpm lock on the lp filter just not on the echo.
nik39 10:26 PM - 13 September, 2007
Are you sure you have mapped the correct function to the joystick?

There is a track bpm for effect 1, and one for effect 2. I am pretty sure you have chosen the wrong one.
DJCheLu 10:37 PM - 13 September, 2007
I did the same thing i had mapped the incorrect function to the joystick. I fixed that and still didnt work, then i realized the joystick has to be pushed down and lit up to be in the correct mode hahahaha. Check both of those things and you should be good :)
nik39 10:41 PM - 13 September, 2007
If someone cares to update the wiki... pretty easy.
Thundercat 12:12 AM - 14 September, 2007
People use the joysticks in normal / transformer mode? With these buttery faders, why? I know I can click much faster and cleaner with the fader than I can with a transform switch.

You guys are strange like Papa San: sg1.allmusic.com [no logout]
dj-b 6:03 AM - 14 September, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions. The problem is fixed. But not necessarily the way I would like to be. I left my house for a few hours and when I get home there is a padlock symbol on the echo section of the serato screen. So the problem is temporarily fixed, and I have no clue how they hell it got fixed. Crossing my fingers it stays that way though. Time will tell.
dj-b 4:46 AM - 16 September, 2007
I think I found the problem when I manually go in and adjust the bpm with P1 knob it takes away the lock for the rest of the time I'm in that session with Serato. Unless someone knows another way I can get the lock icon back on without restarting the program.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 7:08 AM - 16 September, 2007
first time setting up for me and works fine.
dj-b if you followed the instruction then J sticks puts the padlock back on
nik39 12:12 PM - 16 September, 2007
Quote:
first time setting up for me and works fine.
dj-b if you followed the instruction then J sticks puts the padlock back on

Yep. Thats why you map the mentioned track-bpm-to-efx to the joystick.
DJ Daffy 2:04 AM - 21 September, 2007
Quote:
I'm using a Pioneer 500

I'm doing the same thing. I agree it would be much nicer to just use the effects on the mixer (and I have done this) HOWEVER, if you need to use your mic input on your 57 (especially if you have an mc that wanders around and uses the mic whenever) the effects on the mixer become a pain in the ass. Using Niks shortcut for the effects is the only way to make it easy however it's also the main problem when using a mic since they shares the same flex output. Turning the effects off everytime you/mc crack the mic is impossible. Therefore the 500 is easier, more effective, and more diverse at this point. If Rane could re-route the mic...different story.
djX-daVet 3:28 PM - 26 September, 2007
djComplete - I have a pair KAOSS pads hooked up between my TT & Denon's DNS1000 and mixer and haven't had any problems with that setup. Nice effects but Im about to upgade w/the 57 soon so Im optomistic it will work just as well.
djbeats 3:00 AM - 21 October, 2007
Quick questions? if i use the efx shortcut i know it affects the mic, what if i just turn the aux button off will it still affect the mic output while someone is speaking?
DJ Smooth B. 1:17 PM - 21 October, 2007
If you don't want Efx on the mic you have to deactivate the Efx for AUX.
Mic + Aux are routed the same way.
MenskeezA 6:56 PM - 7 November, 2007
Quote:
I'm using a Pioneer EFX 1000

The following settings work well with what I use (see my profile for gear used). When I turn "ON" and "OFF" the Flex FX to isolate channels with the below settings, all volume output to the main and monitor maintains integrity.

Brand/Type of Cables: Quantum 3 foot unbalanced 1/4" patch cables with straight end plugged into TTM57SL and angled end plugged into EFX 1000. Four cables total.

TTM57 GAIN knobs set at "12 o'clock."
Use BALANCED OUTPUTS on RANE properly. Read the manual.

EFX 1000 Settings: On the back, switch set to 96 kHz. On the front: INPUT LEVEL & EFFECT OUT LEV. dials set at "12 o'clock."
SIGNAL FLOW switch set at JOG -> BEAT. METER MODE set with INPUT and OUTPUT used.
SupaSandeep 4:41 AM - 9 December, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
I'm using a Pioneer EFX 1000

EFX 1000 Settings: On the back, switch set to 96 kHz.

I thought thats only for digital i/o, if its not, wats the advantage to having it set to something thats not the highest quality?
DJ Nemesis Enforcer 4:26 AM - 10 July, 2014
Quote:

When clicking that link it brings up a page that says "Object not found!"
Is there an updated link, tutorial, or somewhere I can find this information?
It would be greatly appreciated!