Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

effects on itch with ns6?

bluefoot 8:31 AM - 17 April, 2011
Hi all,

I am wanting to know exactly what fx are/will be available on itch with numark ns6.
links to threads, downloads to manuals, or hands on experienced info would all be useful.

history: I am an old skool vinyl dj who moved to cdj1000s so i could take more songs with me without carrying tonnes of vinyl. But i love to cut so any vinyl emulation that isnt at least up to the standard of the cdj1000s will not do. I now use cdj1000s to control traktor so i can still cut but i also have a hercules steel to navigate the browser and control echo/filter and hot cues/loops.

From what i can gather the ns6/itch is an all in one lightweight and cheap rig which can replace everything i have without losing any of the functions i need?

really sorry if this is a query that has been done to death, i cant find any details anywhere!

p.s. if there's loads of vinyl headz tutting at me: i only use this rig for function gigs.... at my yard the old scratchy vinyl still comes out on the 1210s, ya grumpy old gets.
kraal 4:29 PM - 17 April, 2011
the are the same effects that are in the software
Schuyler 4:49 PM - 17 April, 2011
Hi bluefoot,

The NS6 seems like a good fit for you, but I can only speculate as to the platter response compared to the CDJ 1000.

The effects that you described are included in ITCH. Here's a list:

HPF, LPF, Phaser, Repeater, Flanger, Braker, Echo, Reverb, Reverser.

I can't think of any others right now, that's off the top of my head.

If you're a vinyl-head, I would highly suggest the NS7 or the V7s as it gives you perfect vinyl emulation (more accurate than a DVS).

The NS7, V7, and the NS6 all provide intuitive browsing capability and you might find the Smart Crates feature useful in the future when ITCH 2.0 comes out.
haze324 4:50 PM - 17 April, 2011
Blue...great to see you on the Itch forum. Try to read up what you can on Itch here. What you'll read mostly is that Itch has less fancy features than Traktor, but has a streamlined workflow that makes play music very enjoyable. There is a different "feel" to it. Much less "button pushing" and more interaction.

Effects. I don't know them all off the top of my head but the one main difference is that they are post fader effects and sound "wetter" but they are simple, but for me enough. Also the effects are not synced to the beatgrids so to get a perfect "gater" effect called tremolo you need to tap the beat in. Effects that I use and enjoy:
Filters LPF, HPF- sound great you can adjust the resonance
Delay - great rebounding sound
Reverb - sounds just as good
Echo - kinda weak
Tremolo - Gater effect not beatsynced
Beatreapter - don't use it
Breaker - what cerla uses in the vid.

Then I think there is flanger, phaser and crusher which I don't use. Mostly I stick with filters, delay, reverb. So while it's not TONS, it's more than enough.

I think if your a hands on DJ, or someone who plays open format or multiple genres in one night, Itch is awesome. The beatgrids are elastic so you can have multiple BPMS in a track and have them gridded perfect. The current sync system is crap - but 2.0 has an improved system. Well see when it drops in the next few months.
kraal 5:09 PM - 17 April, 2011
here is an older video with the effects --- not the best demo but hey what can you say

Watchwww.youtube.com
bluefoot 5:36 PM - 17 April, 2011
hi all, cheers haze.

great info, nice 1.

I am a vinyl head but want to avoid the weight and modular set up of ns7 system.

I'm interested in the:
"intuitive browsing",
"Smart Crates feature",
Quote:
different "feel" to it. Much less "button pushing" and more interaction.
anyone care to go into more detail on any of these? i will be using more specific search terms in these forums already but more knowledge is more knowledge.

Am also hands on and multi genre so glad to hear itch will suit that.

a few specific questions though:
-is an upgrade to itch 2.0 free for purchasers of the ns6? it doesnt show it as an offer on the numark or itch site...
-do you have to use sync on it?
-does it automatically apply beatgrids or can i disable them altogether?

My previous experience with beatgrids has not been good. traktor + virtual dj seem to get it wrong for me and require me to spend time sorting something i dont want anyway. I find they give everything an ableton-like feel which is too precise for my taste for mixing, but useful for producing mashups/ other production. I may have just mis-understood what the grids are trying to do for me but so far I prefer to be entirely manual for my syncing, even if i'm looping, even with more than 2 dex and yes, even if there are mistakes.
kraal 5:41 PM - 17 April, 2011
a few specific questions though:
-is an upgrade to itch 2.0 free for purchasers of the ns6? it doesnt show it as an offer on the numark or itch site...

yes ITCH updates are free

-do you have to use sync on it?

Nope
-does it automatically apply beatgrids or can i disable them altogether?

you can disable them in setup --- which i do all the time
bluefoot 5:45 PM - 17 April, 2011
ha ha, that was simple.
cheers kraal.

still happy to hear any more points of view on pros and cons between:
traktor + itch
and:
cdj1000 and ns6

lovin it
kraal 5:49 PM - 17 April, 2011
cdj 1000 vs ns6
with the ns6 set up is a breeze.
cost will be on the ns6's side also

draw back of ITCH based controllers (other than the V& ) is you are at the mercy of the software.

if you find a mixer with killer effects then you can use those with the cdj
Schuyler 6:00 PM - 17 April, 2011
Or you can use an external FX like the EFX or the Kaoss pads (Quad or the original) with the NS6's RCA out.
bluefoot 6:03 PM - 17 April, 2011
Quote:
Or you can use an external FX like the EFX or the Kaoss pads (Quad or the original) with the NS6's RCA out.

is that an fx loop rca out or master out?
haze324 6:03 PM - 17 April, 2011
as a user of both systems Traktor and Itch, Blue I think you will be more at home with Itch. I prefer to use Itch to play Tech House type music, but I'll play open format on Itch any day before Traktor. The stacked waveforms are very intuitive and the difference between button pushing and a better "feel" is that when playing on Traktor and the S4 I may have two songs going and perhaps a vocal, and they are all synced. Really the work involved is timing of when to press a button or turn a knob. It could all be done on ANY thing with a knob and button.

With the NS7 it's a bit different. I scratch and release songs in, i tap the plater fwd or slightly to slow down or speed up. The NS7 and assume the NS6 will be the same have a feel of "real" hardware. Analogue mixer feel vs. of lets say a VCI-100. I feel more invovled although the output of music and "tricks" is less --- but for that type of music less is needed.

I enjoy Traktor for what it can do with the Genre I need it for. It's a more powerful software, while Itch is a funner and more intuitive software. I think you'll be a happy camper with the NS6.
haze324 6:04 PM - 17 April, 2011
opps I meant I prefer Traktor for Tech House.
bluefoot 6:18 PM - 17 April, 2011
Quote:
opps I meant I prefer Traktor for Tech House.

ha ha, was a bit confused at 1st. nice 1.
haze324 6:24 PM - 17 April, 2011
the biggest limitation of Itch (for me) however is the 1:1 mapping. You get it the way the controller is. No customizing. That's the power for Traktor for me. One knob can do three things that I choose it to do. With Itch, it's all 1:1 and that's the streamlined more traditional approach. I enjoy them both for what they are.
bluefoot 6:31 PM - 17 April, 2011
oh ok, i had assumed midi mapping was an option

that is important. i'll have to look at those available controls with a fresh eye now i know that.
quality
kraal 9:17 PM - 17 April, 2011
Quote:
oh ok, i had assumed midi mapping was an option

that is important. i'll have to look at those available controls with a fresh eye now i know that.
quality

well an itch controllers has the fuctions of the software --- so unless you need a button in a different place midi mapping is not 100% important...
bluefoot 8:33 AM - 18 April, 2011
hmmm, i see your point kraal but as haze said: one button on traktro can do 3 things. This is because in midi mapping on traktro you can set any button to be a modifier (or shift function) so that you can have more fx/loop functions available when shift is pressed.

i like this function, but am still weighing up pros and cons.
Maskrider 1:32 PM - 18 April, 2011
I bet more polished efx will be added soon with ITCH 2.0
bluefoot 9:17 AM - 25 April, 2011
this is an ok overview for novice users:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="www.youtube.com frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
blackavenger 5:42 PM - 25 April, 2011
^ FAIL ^
bluefoot 7:25 AM - 26 April, 2011
ooops. seems my attempt to embed failed.

here's a link: youtu.be

just trying to be helpful so thanks to the black avenger for pointing out my amateur error.

isnt it good that some people watch threads without commenting or adding any knowledge but are always ready to make someone feel dumb.
blackavenger 2:56 PM - 26 April, 2011
Quote:
isnt it good that some people watch threads without commenting or adding any knowledge but are always ready to make someone feel dumb.

Actually, I was pointing out the error because I wanted you to fix the link...smartass!

I thought it might be something I haven't seen yet....but alas, it's the same video that has been posted, then re-posted since January.
bluefoot 3:00 PM - 26 April, 2011
oops,
sorry boss, novice internet users like me require more patience, understanding, and instruction than one word, especially if that word is a very negative one like "fail"

but i'm sure you are in the right and that your post is completely reasonable amongst those in the know.

i'll get my coat.
blackavenger 3:17 PM - 26 April, 2011
Quote:
i'll get my coat.

:)
MusicDan 7:17 PM - 26 April, 2011
Quote:
novice internet users like me require more patience, understanding, and instruction than one word, especially if that word is a very negative one like "fail"

This happens to even some more experienced users like myself. It's called lost in translation. You can't express emotion through text, which is why you get emoticons but even they aren't always effective.
bluefoot 7:51 AM - 27 April, 2011
^ aye, I see that.

thanks for the time you spent explaining it dan.