Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

List your top 3 favourite DJ Controllers and tell us why

Kmxorbit 11:32 AM - 2 April, 2011
I would like to know how DJ's think about their top 3 best controllers
even when you don't own it of if the controller still has to hit the market, It doesn't really matter if it is an Itch controller or not.
Please add why you like them.

I'll Start:
My Top 3 favourites are:

1. Numark V7
Own a set... best gear I ever had. Precise control because of motorized platter, plenty loops en cues, Redundant play because of 2 Laptop's that can be connected, built like a tank, and definitely better then CDJ 2000

2. Numark NS6
I think it's gonna be a bomb! because of the 4 platter control, analog mixer and built in FX in 1 unit.

3. Numark Ns7+NSFX
The first Numark Itch controller and at that time a real beast ^^.
V7 was pretty tough competition when that piece came out.
DJ Cs 1:20 PM - 2 April, 2011
You have listed my three favorites as well.

However, I would move NS7 as my second next to the V7 for the reasons you listed.

1. The V7 could have been a CDJ/Turntable killer paired with the correct software and 4 channel support.
The ability to use any mixer with that grade controller is incredible.

2. Numark NS7
Very complete controller
Incredible sound...best I've heard.
Software limited

3. NS6
very complete, all in one controller. Just needs motorized platters :)

4. NI S4
very complete and works with the incredible features of Traktor Pro
Possibly my controller if it had motorized platters.
DJ dVO 3:36 PM - 2 April, 2011
For the simple DJ'ing style me..

1. Numark NS7FX
Pro: All in one. Does what it was built for. Solid build quality. Spinning platter and good ergonomics. Cons: Tad heavy with or without case. A sizeable controller.

2. NS6
Pro: 4-channel analogue mixer and built-in FX. From the look, decent build quality. Smaller in size makes it better for portability, although it can be a tad smaller not too small to give away the impression of a "toy-ish" presence. Con: No spinning platter. Clumpsy power cord.

3. Future Controller
Perfectly sized and weight (carry-on allowable) controller with 4 channel analogue mixer and built-in FX that runs off a Serato built App for the iPad 2. A dedicated case built by the same manufacturer and offers as a package is a must.
zanzibar1 5:04 PM - 2 April, 2011
Dunno about my top three but I know what my fantasy would be:

1 V7 + 2 Midi Fighters + DJM 900 Nexus.

As for software.... well Ideally his would be used with Itch 2.0, which would hopefully allow me to midi map the midi fighters and have plenty more FX to use with it.

But for now my NS7 is perfect :D
haze324 5:09 PM - 2 April, 2011
1. NS7 - it's the funnest thing to play on.
2. S4 - It allows for the best sets and features
3. VCi-300 - portable, ease of use.
soundbiter 8:28 PM - 2 April, 2011
1. (ITCH) Numark NS7 - feels great to use and has a large layout. lets you make way bigger gestures, more realistic scratching, generally just more fun to perform with. looks are killer too, obviously, and it's a lot more fun to watch someone use one of these than a tiny midi controller with just knobs/buttons, brings energy to performances.

2. (Traktor) Kontrol S4 - sampling, most impressive feature set combined into a small package as far as dj controllers go (very portable, more than ns7). can construct entirely original mixes with ease that have much more complexity than a 2 channel or non sampling capable setup.

3. (Ableton) Vestax VCM-600 - awesome mixing capabilities with many simultaneous channels possible, mappable knobs provide a range of setups as you desire it. tons of FX, send/return routing options, of these three gives the most impressive sound with possibilities to control a diverse range of processes on one control surface. negative is lack of jogwheels, but you can of course integrate other controllers into this setup (which many would, since it's effectively a mixer)
kraal 8:58 PM - 2 April, 2011
pioneer ddj-s1 --- nice layout good compromise of size and room to perform

kontrolx1 -- great add on midi controller for self mapping

apc40 -- complete control of software on a hardware device
Dj Fitty 11:42 PM - 2 April, 2011
1. mouse and keyboard
2. the first hercules with vdj
3. and of course the Torq xponent

LOL
seratosnatch 8:19 AM - 3 April, 2011
A&H Xone DX..

Solid, great build, love the construction, does the job and never fails.
DJ_Esco 9:40 PM - 3 April, 2011
I ♥ MY Numark™ NS7 and NSFX
Accurate, Reliable, what more can I ask for???
Its two turnables and a mixer and then some....
I dont have to carry a crap load of CDs or Vinyls and I can make some killer mixes in the studio,i in the club, and where it counts.

c0013704.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com
♫♪♫ ►►►►►►►DJ.Esco™ ©◄◄◄◄◄◄◄♪♫♪♫
Kmxorbit 9:02 PM - 4 April, 2011
Quote:
A&H Xone DX..

Quote:

OK guys , but I want to hear what other controllers you (would) like and why.
seratosnatch 9:08 PM - 4 April, 2011
I'm happy with my relationship and not looking :)
Paco71 9:13 PM - 4 April, 2011
1. DDJ-S1 I'm a pioneer Addict, and it suit me very well.
2. VCI300MKII for it's performance in a small form factor and for it's portability.
PapiC 7:06 AM - 5 April, 2011
1. VCI300 MKII [small, portable, does everything I need, perfect usability!]

2. xone DX [fantastic touch and feel - just too small/not sensitiv jogwheels and small hot-cue-buttons]
2. numark v7 [for my needs too big but I love the idea of spinning platters]

3. maybe pioneer ddj s1 [honestly I didn´t like the plastic feel of that toy - would like to try it in a club though] - btw the traktor version is quite ugly :O(
kraal 7:17 AM - 5 April, 2011
Quote:

3. maybe pioneer ddj s1 [honestly I didn´t like the plastic feel of that toy - would like to try it in a club though] - btw the traktor version is quite ugly :O(

since i have been using mine i really dont notice the 'plastic'
Maskrider 7:32 AM - 5 April, 2011
Vci300 all the way portability is always an issue for me.

If ever vestax decide an all in one controller with fx,sampler,and whatever they decide to put in there new midi.

As long as its as portable like the VCI300.
DJ Cs 3:44 AM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

since i have been using mine i really dont notice the 'plastic'

Kraal, would it be against forum rules for you to do a brief review of that controller? I really don't like static controllers but did use the Torq xponent for awhile and it worked great. It did LOOK and feel plastic but did it's job in a mobile way.

The DDJ S1 looks great, but waaay to expensive for a static controller (i know, my opinion only).

Quote:
Quote:

A&H Xone DX..

Quote:

OK guys , but I want to hear what other controllers you (would) like and why.

I'm good with my V7's but would love a future controller with spinning platters by NUMARK supporting 4 decks on ITCH.
kraal 3:55 AM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:

Kraal, would it be against forum rules for you to do a brief review of that controller? I
[

i will get one up soon --- i am just in 'i wonder what 2.0 is' mode right now
DJ Cs 4:23 AM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Kraal, would it be against forum rules for you to do a brief review of that controller? I
[

Looking forward to both the review and the rumored ITCH upgrade.
i will get one up soon --- i am just in 'i wonder what 2.0 is' mode right now
DJ.Tyme 1:43 PM - 6 April, 2011
I went from numark cd mix3, to denon dn-s3500, & now = Numark NS7 and have never looked back.
Ivan velez 6:45 AM - 15 May, 2011
quick question.....will the allen & heath xone db4 work with itch?
haze324 6:59 AM - 15 May, 2011
if you use a V7 with it. by itself no.
platinumsteel 12:17 PM - 16 May, 2011
My 2 are..Ns7FX and NS6
DJ BOBBYDEE 1:58 PM - 16 May, 2011
Quote:

@ DJC'S
I'm good with my V7's but would love a future controller with spinning platters by NUMARK supporting 4 decks on ITCH.

+ 1 ( MILLION) !!! or a mixer that would allow use of 2 V7's in a four channel config. w/ one laptop..... ;-)
seratosnatch 2:00 PM - 16 May, 2011
Xone Dx

works the way I like it to, sounds awesome and not too big.
dj loco lopez 11:39 PM - 17 July, 2011
As far as I am concerned, NS7FX is the only one for me!

I do like the V7s but it defeats the purpose for me. I am a turntablist and wanted to get away from having to much bulky gear (a major problem I suffer from.) NS7 is heavier than most of the others, but that's what I like as well. Back when I bought the Technics (89ish), I was sold on their solid weight. I felt like I was buying a pro-grade piece of gear, not a toy. The same holds true for NS7, its not a toy.

After downsizing the system to my NS7FX, I've never looked back. It handles everything I could possibly want out of a system. My ONLY wish would be to have dual channel aux's that are crossfade assignable. And have the auxs connect from the back. (that's 2 but hey, I want what I want. Lol)

Other than that... no regrets. One aux still serves me fine (I guess that's why its like that. lol)

Oh and did I mention that this freakin thing sounds awesome when I am playing out live and loud!!!!
DJ.Tyme 12:35 AM - 18 July, 2011
Quote:
As far as I am concerned, NS7FX is the only one for me!

I do like the V7s but it defeats the purpose for me. I am a turntablist and wanted to get away from having to much bulky gear (a major problem I suffer from.) NS7 is heavier than most of the others, but that's what I like as well. Back when I bought the Technics (89ish), I was sold on their solid weight. I felt like I was buying a pro-grade piece of gear, not a toy. The same holds true for NS7, its not a toy.

After downsizing the system to my NS7FX, I've never looked back. It handles everything I could possibly want out of a system. My ONLY wish would be to have dual channel aux's that are crossfade assignable. And have the auxs connect from the back. (that's 2 but hey, I want what I want. Lol)

Other than that... no regrets. One aux still serves me fine (I guess that's why its like that. lol)

Oh and did I mention that this freakin thing sounds awesome when I am playing out live and loud!!!!

EveryThang You said Iz What I Wanted 2 Say,But You Said It Well 4 Me :-) ima mobile dj & since i got my NS7. I also have never looked back. i went from technics to numark cdmix to denons dn-s3500's now to the numark NS7
DJ TeK9 11:02 PM - 16 August, 2013
Anyone try Pioneer's DDJ-SX?
Looks really solid! im interested because the look and feel would be familiar to my current setup.
has 4ch mixer, infinite canceling 3 band, 8 pads per deck and the ability to run 4 decks...
For $1G, it's cheaper than the ns7fx (last I remember...)
Just wanting to here it from a real DJ other than that AGIPRO Audio Sales man on YouTube...

Also...any one tried/own the CDJ-2000 Nexus with their RekordBox software?
Could this be the new "industry standard" in DJ equipment & software?!
To my knowledge this is the first iv ever seen a "2-way" communication between software & gear. Everything out there is a "1-way" control (so to speak)

Will the RekordBox & Nexus concept catch on?... Better yet, will Serato and other Manufactures catch on?

just want an opinion from fellow DJs b4 I dish out this kind of dough.
DJ Radical Rob 9:06 PM - 24 August, 2014
Been on the fence for quite a while now if I should grab Serato or not. I do maybe 2-3 gigs a month tops now, so not nearly as much as I used to. (Been spinning since 84). Tried TORQ, was plastic and the software crashed way to much. Currently using Traktor with S4 and I'm happy with it, but it seems 90% of the DJ world rocks with Serato so in order to be compatible I'm seriously contemplating the switch.

Eventually need to get some hands on time with Numark NS7FX before I make a decision but would love any feedback to pursuade or disuade me. (But this is a Serato forum so I'm completely open to any opinions)