Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Live Internet Broadcasting/Recording With ITCH

Cogito 4:34 PM - 3 March, 2011
Do any of you DJ's out there do any live broadcasting over the internet airwaves?
I've been doing it for a few years on PC (Not with ITCH) and was just curious what other ppl are doing to make it work using Serato/ITCH. I have been using Edcast with much success for quite some time. I've recently switched to mac and i'm trying to evaluate my options. Nicecast is lookin good at the moment.

Shoutcast/Icecast, PC/MAC, whatever the case may be..
Let us know what software/hardware you use or any tips that can help. THANKS!
Cogito 4:39 PM - 3 March, 2011
Looks like the site for Edcast was taken down (a little googling can find a dl however) but here's some info on it.
en.wikipedia.org

And then for Nicecast
www.rogueamoeba.com
Jsavino 6:05 PM - 3 March, 2011
ustream
Koolaay97 6:12 PM - 3 March, 2011
I use B.U.T.T (Broadcast Using This Tool) windows version along with my VCI-300

RCA/Y out from VCI-300 to line in on laptop
1/4' out from VCI-300 to speakers
RCA/Y aux on VCI-300 to Laptop headphone out (this is for sound exf)
GlobalFX running in the background
Cogito 7:47 PM - 3 March, 2011
Quote:

B.U.T.T. looks like a really nice minimal tool. How does it fair quality wise. Is your line-in sufficient? On my pc I get serious background static from hdd read/writes and ground loop.

Also, does it allow you to set track/title info?
Koolaay97 6:38 PM - 6 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

B.U.T.T. looks like a really nice minimal tool. How does it fair quality wise. Is your line-in sufficient? On my pc I get serious background static from hdd read/writes and ground loop.

Also, does it allow you to set track/title info?

The quality is good and yes you can set set track/title info or do it manually for each song as it plays

here is part of a set I did, see if the quality suits you..
soundcloud.com
Cogito 4:20 AM - 7 March, 2011
Thanks koolay the mix sounds good to me..

I've done a little testing with both and I'm leaning towards Nicecast. The price is reasonable and it has a good feature set.

I'm running itch with 2 V7s and a denon dn-x600 which works quite nicely. With the mixer in usb channel mode i'm able to select the master output (7/8) as a stereo source and broadcast quite easily with little hassle. This totally eliminates the need for an external recording device and/or another interface for capturing mixer output.
BadBoyChubs 2:57 PM - 7 March, 2011
thanks for this inportmant thread, i tried B.U.T.T (Broadcast Using This Tool) on the MAC 0S, and it works great!

I was looking a long time to set up my mac to stream
SkylarkAliasMov 4:26 PM - 7 March, 2011
I just figured out how to set up my MacBook/NS7/Itch to broadcast on Ustream...go into system pref. click sound, toward the bottom of the window select "use audio port for" sound input and boom broascating without mixer clicks and all that jazz. super easy much better than downloading a bunch of extra software and bying a bunch of peripherals. the only thing i needed was an rca to 3.5mm from the booth out to the audio port on the MBP. ustream produce seems to e pretty simple and has decent effects. you can get ustream preducer pro but you cant really do mch with it especially if you are deep in your mix. good luck
SkylarkAliasMov 4:26 PM - 7 March, 2011
chubs thanks again for the Kueit hookup...best money spent in a loooooong time!
BadBoyChubs 5:37 PM - 7 March, 2011
Quote:

Thats no prob, ur welcome. even if itch gets a sampler, i still will be using it, money invested good!

I been using ustream for awhile with no probs, now i switching over to B.U.T.T
SkylarkAliasMov 6:26 PM - 7 March, 2011
i'll check it out. is it any easier to use than ustream?
Schuyler 11:25 PM - 7 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Thats no prob, ur welcome. even if itch gets a sampler, i still will be using it, money invested good!

I been using ustream for awhile with no probs, now i switching over to B.U.T.T

Is there a discount I can hop on for this app? It looks like a great program
SOULKHITECT 11:28 PM - 7 March, 2011
www.ustream.tv <---this is how you DO IT!!!!
DJ Jazzy-Lu 6:55 PM - 15 March, 2011
I have not been able to get a good level with B.U.T.T, but I do with simplecast (14 days free ), but who wants to pay them $199.00. Are they crazy
Schuyler 8:19 PM - 15 March, 2011
Currently I have my club set up to stream from Edcast to an Icecast server on a dedicated server hosted by HostGator.com

This Icecast server then redistributes the stream to the other two affiliated nightclubs to provide 1 DJ for 3 locations (as a matter of quality control, not cost savings). We set up two mountpoints...1 HQ (160 kbps works and sounds fine) and 1 LQ (64 kbps) for people visiting our website.

To reduce dropouts we have bonded internet connections at each location with two separate ISPs for redundancy, and we also set the burst size of the Icecast server at about 1 megabyte.

The connection to the stream is through a digital out on a Denon mixer with a post-out setting for the microphone (to give us the option to prevent DJ shout-outs at the other locations or on the web).
kraal 9:58 PM - 15 March, 2011
Quote:
Currently I have my club set up to stream from Edcast to an Icecast server on a dedicated server hosted by HostGator.com

This Icecast server then redistributes the stream to the other two affiliated nightclubs to provide 1 DJ for 3 locations (as a matter of quality control, not cost savings). .

wow that was a scenerio i was hoping to never see. I still beleive a dj needs to play to the crowd ... oh well:( -- technologically speaking its cool
Schuyler 10:52 PM - 15 March, 2011
Quote:
wow that was a scenerio i was hoping to never see. I still beleive a dj needs to play to the crowd ... oh well:( -- technologically speaking its cool

There are light jockeys at the other two locations who communicate back to the DJ at the "primary" location via MSN :) they are all trained at reading crowds and the DJ makes sure of it. Song requests, bday shout outs, and such else come back. For the main DJ, it's freaking hard to keep up but he pulls it off and the sales at all three clubs are substantial.
Schuyler 10:53 PM - 15 March, 2011
Oh FYI the crowd doesn't notice the difference, I've went out and evaluated the success of the other locations a few times and to most people they think the guy working the lights is also doing the music.
SkylarkAliasMov 11:02 PM - 15 March, 2011
sounds weird to me...unless these venues have super similar crowds or its the same club just in 3 different location or its some kind of theme night...just seems lame....and quality control? get a better dj. i find it hard to believe there is just one great DJ within and XX miles of these 3 clubs. who even thought of this BS.

Yo son this Light Jockey is killin it right now!!!!!!!!!!! makes me laugh just thinking of it
Schuyler 11:07 PM - 15 March, 2011
Quote:
sounds weird to me...unless these venues have super similar crowds or its the same club just in 3 different location or its some kind of theme night...just seems lame....and quality control? get a better dj. i find it hard to believe there is just one great DJ within and XX miles of these 3 clubs. who even thought of this BS.

Yo son this Light Jockey is killin it right now!!!!!!!!!!! makes me laugh just thinking of it

Same club (name, business model, pricing, management, etc.) in three different locations.

Personally, I think it kills the opportunity for DJ residencies and creativity, but I was just here to explain how I achieved the set up that the guy who PAYS the DJ wanted...so keep laughing at it, but I'm going to enjoy my paychecks ;)
SkylarkAliasMov 11:14 PM - 15 March, 2011
i'm not knocking YOU since you seem to be the supreme dj killing 3 clubs simultaneously....i'm laughing at the idea, i agree it kills the creativity. you can stop defending yourself since you are getting paid and laugh we wont tell corporate.

I bet those light jockeys probably get all types of dj love. BULLOCKS!!!! no dj love if you aren't the DJ.

thats a lot of trust in the LJ seems like jsut as much as you would put in a dj...hmmmmmm? ah well!

where are these clubs BTW. when i touch the world again i may have to check out the experience
Schuyler 11:18 PM - 15 March, 2011
Quote:
where are these clubs BTW. when i touch the world again i may have to check out the experience

Don't bother :P it's basically wedding DJ music where you'll hear normal old anthems and basic top 40 stuff, nothing revolutionary.
SkylarkAliasMov 11:44 PM - 15 March, 2011
well that's that. get your money.
Cogito 3:25 AM - 18 March, 2011
Quote:

This Icecast server then redistributes the stream to the other two affiliated nightclubs to provide 1 DJ for 3 locations (as a matter of quality control, not cost savings). We set up two mountpoints...1 HQ (160 kbps works and sounds fine) and 1 LQ (64 kbps) for people visiting our website.

To reduce dropouts we have bonded internet connections at each location with two separate ISPs for redundancy, and we also set the burst size of the Icecast server at about 1 megabyte.

The connection to the stream is through a digital out on a Denon mixer with a post-out setting for the microphone (to give us the option to prevent DJ shout-outs at the other locations or on the web).

Sounds like a pretty nice setup to pull off the idea.. I like it! Do you broadcast online too? Have you ever though of having various live DJ's at the other locations on certain nights/etc.?

Stick with what works man. NO reason to hate on the guy LOL.
Yaniv Levy 4:26 PM - 20 April, 2015
Hello .
While i DJ (DDJ-SR) with Serato DJ i run the EDCAST and choose the "SOUNDCARD" - ASIO DDJ-SR, but nothing comes out on the GRAPHICAL EQ GRID of the EDCAST.
Does some1 have any idea why?

Im struggeling this for along time.
Thanks Guys!
Yaniv