DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Recording at 24 bit

Mr. Goodkat 6:23 PM - 11 May, 2007
So are you not supposed to record at 24 bit and save to MP3? I read that it can make mp3s have tempo changes, is this true? I don't remember where I read it, but one person said it was the frequency i.e. 44,48,96, but then another said tempo change could happen with alternate bitrates.
sixxx 6:24 PM - 11 May, 2007
Even if you record to 24 bit. You have to convert to 16 bit before you transfer to MP3... right? Wrong? I don't know. At least, that's what I think right now. :)
dj_soo 6:31 PM - 11 May, 2007
If you encode a 24-bit file to mp3, it won't play on serato. You have to dither down your files to 16-bit.

I usually record my vinyl in 24-bit just for the exapanded fidelity and then dither down to 16-bit.

Sample rate is another thing - serato can only handle 44.1 khz max, so if you record in a higher sample rate, you could affect the sound.
Mr. Goodkat 8:42 PM - 11 May, 2007
nah, i record in 24 bit in soundforge, and save as 320 mp3. I think it automatically dithers down. Thats the process i was wondering about.