Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Too many Crates??

cnewton 5:44 PM - 20 November, 2010
can you have too many crates? and does it affect performance?

i notice start up and closing time is longer, but during the night, will too many crates cause performance problems?

i have loads of crates, and just keep adding, my music is far from organised, and it never will be, its like my cd folders used to be, complete mess but i know where everything is. so if i change it i get confused.haha.

would be cool if a serato geek could shine some light on this for me please.

cheers
zaguama 5:51 PM - 20 November, 2010
i've seen performance problems when you have too many layers of crates and subcrates so i try to keep it to a max of 3 or 4 layers. let me shed some light.

This is an example of something that might give you slower performance:

Crate A
|
Crate B
|
Crate C
|
Crate D
|
Crate E
|
Crate F

This is an example of something that might offer better performance:

Crate A
|
Crate B
|
Crate C
Crate D
Crate E
Crate F
Crate G

With the first example it doesn't means that its not going to work but you will see scrolling relatively slower than example B.

Hope this helps.
zaguama 5:53 PM - 20 November, 2010
Oh well it removed all the formatting from my post but basically every "|" you see means its a subcrate.
cnewton 6:53 PM - 20 November, 2010
ok, thankfully i have very few subcrates, but loads of crates.

cheers for the response!
Maskrider 6:57 PM - 20 November, 2010
What I do is just keep on re organizing I have some pre made sets crate and just delete the crate after i'm done with it.
BadBoyChubs 8:45 PM - 20 November, 2010
i notice that but for mi not to have sub crates, is alot of scrolling, unless there is a fast way to jump to a parent crate
zaguama 12:06 AM - 21 November, 2010
i think you should build your library to the limit. You should set it up as you want it to be and if you have performance issues scrolling then try to reorganize some other way and go from there because you might be able to get away with several layers of subcrates it just depends how much stuff you have on each layer. On my crew we are 2 djs and when my buddy plugs in his external hdd and loads his crates it slows down substantially my scrolling since he has too much garbage on his crates lol.
kraal 3:15 AM - 21 November, 2010
i have a TON of crates it only takes awhile cause there are many crates no slow down issues
cnewton 3:20 AM - 21 November, 2010
so far i have not had any issues with too many crates, im just asking coz i keep adding crates, and always hesitate to add a new crate as i think im creating too many. would be great for someone from serato, to respond with a certified view, ill wait till monday.lol
bootleg productions 5:20 AM - 27 April, 2011
Is this a problem seen both on Macs and Pcs?
DJ Jazzy-Lu 7:58 PM - 28 April, 2011
Can you make virtual crates in Itch, it is a feature in VDJ7. I think it is a great one to have. Lets say you have a crate called r&b, maybe you do an 80's set, make a virtual crate called 80's songs or whatever. It is just a link to the org file, no real extra space on HD
kraal 10:16 PM - 28 April, 2011
all crates on itch are just links to the song no extra space on HD
DJ Jazzy-Lu 10:45 PM - 29 April, 2011
can you drag and drop from one crate to another?
kraal 11:23 PM - 29 April, 2011
Yes you can
danimix 3:51 AM - 30 April, 2011
When I had SSL I had tons of crates & sub crates, traks took forever to load. Since I migrated to Itch I no longer use crates, instead I use the COMMENTS & GROUPING columns as substitute. I call it file association, eg.lets say you have 20 Hip Hop traks that you wanted to sub crate MAD BEATS... what you would do is highlite those 20 trakc and in the comments or grouping column name them said name Mad Beats.
Now whwnever you select anyone of those 20 traks you will be able to recall all 20 by clicking on the corresponding column.
I hope this will help, and my explanation was ok
Damo D 12:03 AM - 20 December, 2014
this issue still sucks i made sub crate deleted music and my scroll down only goes to the three dots on the crate list on my mac but on my pc i can move freely i starting to hate Mac i still don't like serato to tuff lol i need help i talked to Dave Wood of serato and he explain somethings that was helpful but i still have issues i need help fast email please