DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Serato, the bridge, ableton, iPad, touchosc, osculator, livecontrol tutorial!!!

dj machetie 7:07 AM - 22 October, 2010
A bit of history with my experience with serato so far, kick me if I keep ranting on.

The bridge rocks and since it's been in beta stages i've been looking for a perfect controller for it. I've always like to dj with one turntable and have a midi controller as my second deck/controller for serato. I have the Stanton dascratch, novation launchpad and now the iPad I have used them all in the various ways but both the launchpad and dascratch are limited of control of the bridge.

Now the iPad was in my line of sight since it was announced, I have played around with my friends iPhone and itm matrix previously and liked the whole idea of wireless control of serato, but as you know there is NO midi out on Serato. The bridge is an awesome thing I don't have to tell you how good both softwares are!!!!

To control the bridge with iPad and get midi signals back from ableton you'll need couple of things ;
1) touchosc at the app store (touchosc editor) paid app
2) osculator you can google that one and it's a paid app (donation min $19 but it's worth the whole $39)
3) livecontrol which is a free template for touchosc and a server with ableton implementation.

Now livecontrol is a cool thing that has a full control of ableton in very neat touch ui for iPad it's reasonably easy to setup the website has the tutorial if you run in to any problems and osculator forum Has very good support and will help with lots of problems you might encounter.

Now the principal behind the the setup is to control the serato via midi like cue points, loops, sp6 sampler, browse thru crates etc. And control ableton via midi and get feedback about clips, devices, tempo etc.

Detailed tutorial upon request with files and photos
Dj Ace 6:40 PM - 25 October, 2010
Just realized that when using a Mac u don't need a wifi hotspt or internet connection correct? You just have to setup a computer to computer network between the Mac and the ipad...if this is the case I deinitely picking up an ipad pronto! How Os the response Time on touch-able?
dj machetie 7:05 PM - 25 October, 2010
Quote:
Just realized that when using a Mac u don't need a wifi hotspt or internet connection correct? You just have to setup a computer to computer network between the Mac and the ipad...if this is the case I deinitely picking up an ipad pronto! How Os the response Time on touch-able?

Ace you're right it's an ad-hoc connection which you can do both ways if you have a jailbroaken iPad/iPhone you can use an app called MyWi or just setup an computer-to-computer connection which is fairly easy.

And if you referring to the response time on the app "touchable" - which I own too is pretty good on both the touchable and touchosc, but I'll have to say you cont really control serato with touchable in my case I tried to use touchosc and touchable at the same time and switching apps on ios 3.2.2 is impractical in a live situation just waiting for the update for the iPad.

I think the iPad was will investment you could ever get, I would never trade it for anything else!

If you have any more questions about the setup or the ipad I'm happy to help.
Dj Ace 7:57 PM - 25 October, 2010
touch-able is the one that is already 'pre-mapped' for ableton right? what is the response time from clicking buttons to the action taking place...like launching clips, controlling volume, intiating send and returns etc
Dj Ace 7:58 PM - 25 October, 2010
almost instant?
dj machetie 8:51 PM - 25 October, 2010
Quote:
touch-able is the one that is already 'pre-mapped' for ableton right? what is the response time from clicking buttons to the action taking place...like launching clips, controlling volume, intiating send and returns etc

Touchable and touchosc with livecontrol template are both "pre-mapped" for ableton.

As on the exact ms response time I'm not sure but it does depend on the wifi distance between the iPad and Mac. And so far I have not noticed the latency it's pretty snappy and i shouldn't be worried about that in your place.
dj machetie 8:52 PM - 25 October, 2010
Quote:
almost instant?

Yes!
dj machetie 8:53 PM - 25 October, 2010
Quote:

Touchable and touchosc with livecontrol template are both "pre-mapped" for ableton.

As on the exact ms response time I'm not sure but it does depend on the wifi distance between the iPad and Mac. And so far I have not noticed the latency it's pretty snappy and i shouldn't be worried about that in your place.
Dj Ace 2:39 AM - 26 October, 2010
which one do you recommend? touch-able or touch osc? the video's on the touch-able look awesome
dj machetie 3:30 PM - 26 October, 2010
Quote:
which one do you recommend? touch-able or touch osc? the video's on the touch-able look awesome

If you just want to control ableton then touchable is the word, but if you want both serato and ableton then touchosc!
Marty Mcfly 1:04 AM - 27 October, 2010
machetie please do up a tutorial and post your templates for touchosc! very interested in doing this as well. i already have touchosc and osculator + livecontrol but wanted a scrollable session view so i gave touchable a go.

as you say its great for just ableton by itself. but it lags while using the bridge, even under adhoc network. just bought griid pro to try as well.
Dj Ace 1:22 AM - 27 October, 2010
touchable works well with bridge?
Marty Mcfly 3:01 AM - 27 October, 2010
it works, but not well in my experience. might be too much going on for my machine. it becomes unresponsive for a few seconds every now and then. im running 2.4ghz 15" macbook pro with 6gb ram. works perfectly without the bridge though.
Dj Ace 5:00 AM - 27 October, 2010
ok ic...i have 4 GB of ram and 2.66 core duo will give it a go
Dj Ace 5:02 AM - 27 October, 2010
maybe i will up my ram to 8GB also
Dj Ace 5:02 AM - 27 October, 2010
thanks for the info
dj machetie 4:36 PM - 27 October, 2010
Quote:
machetie please do up a tutorial and post your templates for touchosc! very interested in doing this as well. i already have touchosc and osculator + livecontrol but wanted a scrollable session view so i gave touchable a go.

as you say its great for just ableton by itself. but it lags while using the bridge, even under adhoc network. just bought griid pro to try as well.

Hey Marty I'm at work right now I'll post the templates for the touchosc and osculator as soon as I get home. But do you want a video or a step by step tutorial with photos?
dj machetie 5:16 PM - 27 October, 2010
Quote:
it works, but not well in my experience. might be too much going on for my machine. it becomes unresponsive for a few seconds every now and then. im running 2.4ghz 15" macbook pro with 6gb ram. works perfectly without the bridge though.

In my experience it all depends on your hdd speed (7400rpm and the latest from seagate is the momentus xt with hybrid memory +1 got a 500gb myself fast boot time and serato search and response) and if your clips are selected to load in to ram when loaded in to ableton session (you know in warp settings when you double click your clip). And 6gb is enough than again depending on the size of the ableton session 1000+ songs without any vst instruments cos they are very CPU heavy especially the ones with a lot of reverb. And depends how much free room at least 15gb of free hdd memory helps too.

I'm Running a 150gb library in serato and 1000+ song ableton session without any vst instruments.( I'm using songs as an example because they varying in size and time length and are on average about 4 min). I have a MacBook pro 15" C2D 2.4 ghz 4gb ram
Marty Mcfly 2:21 AM - 28 October, 2010
Ahh maybe thats the problem. I've gone for size rather than speed with a 750gb 5400rpm internal HDD.

Just a step by step with pics would be awesome. Or whichever is easier for you. I know how to get livecontrol working with ableton but curious on how you get it working with serato as well. I'm sure others will find it very useful too.

Cheers.
dj machetie 7:01 AM - 28 October, 2010
Hey back at home decided to write this thing now so here it is:
the files www.megafileupload.com

You`ll have set of 3 files in there 1 for the osculator one for the ipads touchosc and a midi file for serato.

So where do we begin ???
First of all create computer - to - computer connection and connect your ipad to your mac,

On your Mac: Click on Airport icon in the menu bar (this is the one that looks like a radar scan).
Check that Airport is turned on, and select “Create Network”.
img340.imageshack.us

Give a name to this network. Optionally, if you are concerned with security, protect your network with a password (could be handy if you are performing on stage!)
img541.imageshack.us

Now click on "open network preferences"
Then select airport on the left menu if it`s not selected already
img51.imageshack.us
Now click on
Advanced -> TCP/IP ->Configure IPv4 drop-down menu -> manually ->
Type the IPv4 Address : 10.0.2.1
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
and press OK
and Apply
close the settings window

Now on your ipad turn the WiFi ON
Wait for the networks list to populate, and select the network you've previously created on your Mac.
Before leaving this application, click on the blue disclosure and then the static button
www.chrisyounguk.com
Manually enter
ip address 10.0.2.2
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Leave other fields blank!!!
You can now leave the Settings app, and run TouchOSC,
Open the touchosc template and sync with your iPad.
liine.net
the touchosc port has to be set to Outgoing:8000 Incoming:8001
After thats done open osculator and the template
img832.imageshack.us

Now open livecontroller server.
it should look like this (IF IT DOESN'T DON`T PANIC IT WILL AFTER THE NEXT STEP)
img190.imageshack.us
the connected device is your iPads name

Now go back to osculator and open parrameters button then OSC routing
which should look like this
img196.imageshack.us

Now in I/O settings tab
img638.imageshack.us
and the Select active MIDI inputs Select active MIDI Outputs
----------- img576.imageshack.us -------- img41.imageshack.us
OK we are Done with Osculator

Open live and its preference and it should look like that.
img25.imageshack.us

OK NOW YOU SHOULD HAVE FEEDBACK FROM ABLETON LIVE.
Drag a clip in the clip view in Ableton now on your iPad TouchOSC it should correspond with Ableton.

The midi file for Serato should be copied under Music/ScratchLIVE/MIDI folder
and in settings enable the midi file.you can find out more on MIDI in Serato
serato.com
The Last 2 pages of the iPad Touchosc template is for Serato.
You can add as many pages as you want be creative the Serato pages are used for demonstration purposes only.

NOW this is the first time I have made a tutorial EVER. I`m sorry for any mistakes or if the info is not enough to make it work please ask any questions ill try to answer anyway i can.
Marty Mcfly 8:17 PM - 29 October, 2010
Great tutorial, thanks for taking the time to write it up and sharing your templates!

I've got everything working well except the midi template for serato. Its in "~/Music/ScratchLive/MIDI", and has been enabled in settings, but it doesn't respond. If i click the midi button and start assigning the buttons manually, it works, so serato is receiving midi. Any thoughts?

I also notice that the drum pads and keys have stopped sending midi to ableton. Is this because its being routed to serato instead?

Cheers.
dj machetie 9:15 PM - 29 October, 2010
Quote:
Great tutorial, thanks for taking the time to write it up and sharing your templates!

I've got everything working well except the midi template for serato. Its in "~/Music/ScratchLive/MIDI", and has been enabled in settings, but it doesn't respond. If i click the midi button and start assigning the buttons manually, it works, so serato is receiving midi. Any thoughts?

I also notice that the drum pads and keys have stopped sending midi to ableton. Is this because its being routed to serato instead?

Cheers.

Ok I think I haven't made it clear how the whole thing works!
Basically think of the osculator as your gateway/hub what ever you want to call it.
You send a osc message with the iPad and the osculator receives it where you then tell it (route it) to either livecontroll server (the event type is Osc Routing with a value D) or either a midi type event like midi cc note with a value of a number or music note (which is for serato).
Now every message line in osculator that's starts with "/.... Some number" is ment for ableton so if the drum pads or keys have been assigned a midi cc "event type" then It'll be registered only in serato so you have to change that to OSC Routing in "event type" with a value of "D"
Now have a look at osculator and press any drum pad or key and let me know what lights up, I'll double check the osculator template later today.
It's very crucial to understand this if you want to make your own custom template, but I'll try to help anyway I can!

On another note how's your latency?
dj machetie 2:24 AM - 30 October, 2010
Hey marty i see your problem now, just checked it and you`re right, no midi in to ableton i really havent played around with the keys and drum pads all i have seen was that osculator receives the message i just rerouted it to livecontrol! So im trying rectify the problem and ill let you know soon... thanx for the heads up i actually was thinking to use it tonight instead of my launchpad!!!
DjThots 11:48 AM - 30 October, 2010
ohh man how fun that was!... dj machetie ur freakin awsome! i got stuck for bout 2hrs but pulled thru ( midi template was not showin up in ableton). BIG ASS THANK YOU for this tut. i will stay posted with this discusion as i wuld like to eventually us the key and pads as well
Charlie 3:34 PM - 3 November, 2010
Thanks for taking the time to post this. Awesome guide
DVDjHardy 9:22 PM - 18 November, 2010
I've also been using LiveControl with Bridge. It's a free download and it's really simple to set-up: liine.net

By the way, I have Osculator because I use my own template in TouchOSC for Serato. But, you don't actually need it if you strictly want to control Ableton (including the Bridge) using LiveControl. It has it's own routing protocol that you get with your download.
dj machetie 2:13 AM - 26 January, 2011
OK after months of trial and error i have finally figured it out !!!!, how to get everything working!!!!
TouchOSC --> Osculator--> LiveControl--> Ableton
TouchOSC --> Osculator--> Serato

From one TouchOSC template!!!!
DjThots 11:16 PM - 26 January, 2011
what was the problem/s ...machetie??
i havent had any with mine but i dont use all the features
Marty Mcfly 2:09 AM - 27 January, 2011
nice one machetie. got the drum pads and keys sending midi to ableton?
Dj 3Mo 8:22 AM - 1 February, 2011
Nice, I was planning to use this method too, but using iPhone instead of iPad~

is the performance stable?? Any problem so far for you??

Is MBP 2.4GHz i5 4GB RAM enough to run this setup with no problem?
dj machetie 2:44 AM - 8 February, 2011
All good now every feature works now, steps wher overlooked in osciulator midi input mode change to raw and intrepid and same for TUIO and in live control Server instead of choosing oscillator midi port you choose live control and everything should work like the charm, even drums and keys!

Updating the osculator helps too.

Hope this works for every one so far everything is stable and latency is stable.
Will Love 4:54 PM - 3 April, 2011
is there another link? I’m not having success downloading the file, and btw thank you for making a template for the bridge…. I have wished for this
dj machetie 9:45 PM - 7 April, 2011
I will update the links in the next 48hrs
Will Love 11:55 PM - 7 April, 2011
I will be on the lookout!!!
dj machetie 11:55 PM - 11 April, 2011
Sorry mate been shafted to Melbourne for a week now. I will post the links soon!
Will Love 12:31 AM - 13 April, 2011
Thx
Will Love 4:02 AM - 19 April, 2011
any headway on this? I’ve been talking you up. still looking for a touchOSC controller for the bridge
Dj 3Mo 3:58 PM - 12 October, 2011
been using TouchAble with my iPad~ works well for me~
djfaq 11:12 PM - 11 November, 2011
The serato preset is empty, you have to assign all keys from the beginning..
Dj2Ls 9:55 PM - 22 February, 2012
I can't get the files to download either.. No osculator template or midi file. Please help
Also the osc template with the extra pages for scratchlive would be great! Please help