DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

I HATE this mixer....why rane???

DJDLO 415 6:28 AM - 29 March, 2007
alot of boths around here (SF/san Jo) have the rane MP 24 mixer....everytime i see that thing only one thing comes to my mind FUCK! this thing has NO levels for the chanels and no fadder contour....on top of that sometimes the cross fadder knob is like this wierd ass thing i cant even call a knob.....

i know im being pickey but i was just thinking about it b/c im gonna meet this promoter next week and i think a couple of the clubs he has, have this POS there...i jus feel like i cant go though my set how i want to with it, being i love to scratch.....

why rane? why? the program you guys released is called "scratch live" but a mixer you have distributed to a lot of venues make it difficult to do....i demand a response from a moderator

- DLO =)
djtonypsalms 7:05 AM - 29 March, 2007
MP 24's have been a standard in the club scene for years, just like SL1200's.

Give thanks you're given the opportunity to spin in a club...

Good luck!
DJDLO 415 7:10 AM - 29 March, 2007
lol....i know they have....dont take this post to personal!
DJDLO 415 7:12 AM - 29 March, 2007
its more of a joke.......
Panic City 7:17 AM - 29 March, 2007
shit ill use it if u give me an opportunity to spin. holla!
sixxx 7:40 AM - 29 March, 2007
Being the "standard" isn't the best thing. I mean, the "standard" at clubs is playing crappy music for drunks. So, yeah. The standard sometimes means shit.
deepdjdanny 1:25 PM - 29 March, 2007
is the mp24 the huge grey clunky thing from the late 80's/early 90's with yellow cue leds & with the record lineouts that can dodge recording microphone? are they still working? fondling memories :)
DJ Irv 1:35 PM - 29 March, 2007
the MP24 is a tank. The fucking things won't die. In New York a lot places still have Urei's with nobs. Try spinning on that shit! It's no problem for Reggae and House but spinning Hip-Hop is no fun.
deepdjdanny 1:36 PM - 29 March, 2007
gotcha.
papsworth 2:04 PM - 29 March, 2007
i'll take a rotary over a 24 any day.
Dj KaGeN 4:00 PM - 29 March, 2007
www.warehousesound.com

My first residency had one of these, I used to pull it out of it's spot, half flip over so I could tuck it under deeper in the booth and place my own VESTAX on top of it!! That mixer was a tank, and back then - about a bat's chance in hell I was going to be able to spin house 'well' on that....
tig ol' bitties 4:07 PM - 29 March, 2007
^^ At least the thing's got a crossfader...the one time I had the oppurtunity at a residency I had to cut and mix with knobs..that shit sucked!! esp since I had never used one before, can ya say TRAINWRECK! lol
Dj KaGeN 4:13 PM - 29 March, 2007
Getting on an mixer you do not have prior experience on and trying to showcase your skills in the effort to get the gig = no bueno.

Rane by far has thrown me for THE BIGGEST loops, that 2016 w/ expansion was a real mutha F'r, too my first go round.
djslimsa 4:22 PM - 29 March, 2007
I am old school I guess. I don't mind the MP24. I have had one for nine years now. i just put all new faders in it (cost me $100) I moved it to my mobile DJ set up, I am using a newly purchased TT56 for my SSL set up! The MP24 is the Toyota of mixers. Take care of it and it will last forever!
Releaux 4:40 PM - 29 March, 2007
I either learned on this one or a model very similar to it back in 1990... I wasn't paying attention to gear way back then. =-)
grrillatactics 4:48 PM - 29 March, 2007
I have had to use the 24 a handful of times, and I do not think that this is a mixer that I would like to use again.
DjWoody 7:04 PM - 29 March, 2007
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of that mixer either. I love the MP2016, specially the new updated version!! WOOHOO They finally fixed the cueing system!!! I also like their MP44. Hehehe
Pete Moss 7:06 PM - 29 March, 2007
The MP24 is the greatest 19" mixer ever made. Ever, ever, ever, ever. . . . .
DeezNotes 8:19 PM - 29 March, 2007
I don't particularly care for it, but there are so many clubs that have it installed you just gotta get used to using it. This one club was supposed to have 1200s, but instead only had those rack-mounted Denon CD players and the 24 with NO crossfader. It felt like I was piloting a nasa space shuttle all night long.
matt212 8:25 PM - 29 March, 2007
Quote:
It felt like I was piloting a nasa space shuttle all night long.

funny shit right thurr.
Detroitbootybass 8:26 PM - 29 March, 2007
I like the MP24z... extremely well built and with a good clean sound.
DJDLO 415 8:41 PM - 29 March, 2007
Quote:
I don't particularly care for it, but there are so many clubs that have it installed you just gotta get used to using it. This one club was supposed to have 1200s, but instead only had those rack-mounted Denon CD players and the 24 with NO crossfader. It felt like I was piloting a nasa space shuttle all night long.

LOL thats comedy.....one thing i will always be mad about is yea, i do have to get used to it and i hate it.....i hear the MP44 is tight but i have yet to use it, i cant wait till i see it in the booth....

anyway i can bypass it and plug my 56 in? my bad im not savey with sound systems yet
Dj KaGeN 8:45 PM - 29 March, 2007
MP44

that's a cinch..
myspace-594.vo.llnwd.net
first time out in Vegas I got popped with that mixer.. loved it!
DeezNotes 8:55 PM - 29 March, 2007
Quote:
anyway i can bypass it and plug my 56 in? my bad im not savey with sound systems yet

If you decide to do that, take a look at the diagram on Rane's website FIRST! It's not like your normal scratch mixer. Shit is crazy under there... but you can then see one of the reasons it's a standard.
Pete Moss 8:58 PM - 29 March, 2007
All of you haters do realize that the MP24 is no longer manufactured? It was taken out out of production last year.
skinnyguy 9:00 PM - 29 March, 2007
i remember back in the day when mixers didn't have x-fade contours and you needed some muscle to move the x-fader.....
DJDLO 415 9:14 PM - 29 March, 2007
Quote:
All of you haters do realize that the MP24 is no longer manufactured? It was taken out out of production last year.

i am very aware....and happy =) its still everywhere tho!!

yo deeznuts.....i will do....my buddie did it for me once at a club i jus am not good with that shiii
DJDLO 415 9:52 PM - 29 March, 2007
mabe i should just switch the thread up......"how do i hook up my 56 in clubs with only the 1/4 in. and rca masters, what about the booth speaker etc....??"
djbillgates 1:24 AM - 14 August, 2014
This mixer is not for dj who like to screw around club sound..... :-)
Its A Club Owner's Best Friend
dj_soo 5:04 AM - 14 August, 2014
this thread is also 7 years old
Draven1327 2:55 PM - 14 August, 2014
i love these zombiie threads lmao!!!
keknoir 6:02 PM - 31 August, 2015
I love this mixer. In the 1980s, DJs drooled for this mixer. Back then, you had the option of some old Bozak and Ureis and old Numarks (when they were good). But this was up there among the best of them. And like the Bozak and Urei (basically the same mixer), this was not only an audiophile-level piece of gear, it was also built to military specifications. Meaning it was tough. Every time I used one, it worked flawlessly. I always borrowed a damp bar rag from a bartender and wiped down the mixer and 1200s before my sets as part of my warm up routine.

There was a crossfade that you could scratch with it. Many turntablists used this mixer. Many didn't even use the crossfader.

These new mixers with their frictionless crossfaders and channel EQs just make mixing easier. It's also good for the lazy DJ... Just like hitting the "pitch match" button now.

Try spinning house and doing those nice long three minute mixes with no channel eqs, no beat matching button. Those were the days. You had be smooth and somewhat sober to mix properly.

Something has been lost. Perhaps with the resurgence of vinyl, we may find it again.
eugguy 8:28 PM - 31 August, 2015
I also loved this mixer. A very good example of a Rane product, tank. I still see this out here and there. What is great is that you can now find this for super cheap!
HighTopFade 8:57 PM - 31 August, 2015
Eight years later, I wonder if it's still there and working.
El-ray 7:12 AM - 6 May, 2016
Hallo,I m following this discussion and I d like to be informed of how can I expand my MP24 so I can have control of Eq's and perhaps gains for each channel.I used to own an MP2016 w/ the Expandor plus a dopereal isolator.Due to lack of money and needs that had to be taken care of asp I was obliged to sell them..:( Now with the MP24 that I found from a beach bar a friend used to have and a pair of SL1200s I hope to get back in business.Any ideas?!