DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

In ear monitor: 3D Active Ambient system | Any DJ's try it?

DJ BIS 1:55 PM - 12 September, 2010
For years I continue to tell myself that I NEED to react in regards to my abusive hearing situation when I am DJing. As of recent while playing with a drummer I've experienced even more abuse and what I believe might be minor irreparable damage to my right ear, so now more than ever it is imperative that I commit to a solution.

Ear plugs have been my preferred choice because I am still able to get *some* of the "live feedback" in the room which helps me gauge the overall loudness and energy, plus I can still hear people trying to talk to me if they want to make a request, etc, but the plugs come with the annoying Occlusion effect (see: en.wikipedia.org) which does not let me get comfortable when speaking on the mic. Additionally the ear plugs rub against the the headphone earpads and this constant rubbing makes it very annoying to perform with the earplugs in.

The other solution for many is the In-Ear Monitor, a more expensive option that offers great musical clarity and additional accuracy at much healthier sound levels. In my case the drawbacks are that in-ear monitor mixing (for DJ cueing and such) can be tricky, specially if you are dealing with different mixer models, some which have complicated cue monitoring controls or completely lack them. Considering that this situation may not come up all that often, we still have to deal with popping out one in-ear in order to deal with requests or such in a loud environment and the fact that ALL ROOM SOUND is blocked so it is pretty difficult to gauge the energy in the room in addition to your voice on the mic, etc.

BUT ENOUGH OF MY RANT.

By some luck today I ran into this product, sensaphonics.com produced by a reputable manufacturer, the 3D Ambient System is touted to: "solve the two biggest problems associated with conventional in-ear monitoring: the need to speak directly to others on stage, and the desire to hear crowd reaction. This is accomplished by incorporating tiny microphones within the earpieces to pick up ambient sound, then using a small bodypack mixer to add that sound to the in-ear mix in a controlled fashion."

My eyes lit up when I saw this and immediately wondered if any DJ's are currently using this to aid in their monitoring needs. At this point my biggest questions are:
• Price
• Audio Quality, specifically in the low frequency area, for their unique earphones.

It looks like a great idea, would be excited to hear some reviews from anybody here.

Cheers.
DJ BIS 5:29 PM - 17 September, 2010
Anybody?
DJ Dac 6:02 PM - 17 September, 2010
Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller?
DJ BIS 8:56 PM - 17 September, 2010
Apparently they can send a DEMO system to be tested for 2 weeks. Gonna try it out!
DJ BIS 8:56 PM - 17 September, 2010
By the way, also found out the cost: System starts at $2000!
DJ Dac 9:07 PM - 17 September, 2010
well thats why no one is responding... if you got 2 grand to spend its worth it im guessing
SuckaDJ 9:48 PM - 17 September, 2010
ultimateears.com cheaper, not cheap but cheaper. check it out.
DJ BIS 9:59 PM - 17 September, 2010
Quote:
well thats why no one is responding... if you got 2 grand to spend its worth it im guessing

The post has been up for a while, I just reported the price, it is not listed on their website.
DJ BIS 10:02 PM - 17 September, 2010
Quote:
ultimateears.com cheaper, not cheap but cheaper. check it out.

Thanks SuckaDJ, I like the UE's, and a number of others, but none of them have the active ambient technology.

I am interested to know if anybody in this forum uses them (or has used them before) and what they think.

I am guessing nobody has, which is cool. It is very expensive.
kthbrdy 1:33 PM - 6 February, 2011
this idea will be the future of DJ monitoring
burra 9:30 AM - 3 August, 2011
Hey DJ Bis.... ok - I'm a very amateur dj and an audiologist and did the whole sensaphonics training thing last month (which was very cool)... and I had exactly the same idea as you about the 3d ambients - if the biggest bands use them, why not dj's! I had a chance to try the demoes but of course they're nowhere near the same.... so I ordered some (it's a work thing for me as well - so cost isn't as much of an issue) and they arrived today... I've unplugged my headphones and about to plug these babies in!
I'll keep you posted on how they go - but i'm sure they'll be a winner! oh and you can get a dB meter with them so you can be sure you're not blasting your ears - $2k is a lot, but have you checked the price of hearing aids? or considered what a lifetime of ears ringing is worth???
another thing - it always baffles me how people get generic or hard shelled iems and somehow think they're protecting their hearing....
tomlowd 2:04 AM - 26 October, 2011
Quote:
Hey DJ Bis.... ok - I'm a very amateur dj and an audiologist and did the whole sensaphonics training thing last month (which was very cool)... and I had exactly the same idea as you about the 3d ambients - if the biggest bands use them, why not dj's! I had a chance to try the demoes but of course they're nowhere near the same.... so I ordered some (it's a work thing for me as well - so cost isn't as much of an issue) and they arrived today... I've unplugged my headphones and about to plug these babies in!
I'll keep you posted on how they go - but i'm sure they'll be a winner! oh and you can get a dB meter with them so you can be sure you're not blasting your ears - $2k is a lot, but have you checked the price of hearing aids? or considered what a lifetime of ears ringing is worth???
another thing - it always baffles me how people get generic or hard shelled iems and somehow think they're protecting their hearing....

how'd you go?
DJ BIS 6:14 AM - 27 December, 2011
burra, would love to hear how they feel/sound!!!
Thanks for your note. 100% agree!

Quote:
Niro 6:22 AM - 27 December, 2011
Quote:
how people get generic or hard shelled iems and somehow think they're protecting their hearing....

Please explain more: I use a pair of Westone ES5's and also a Pair of their UM56 for backup, but I'm getting a pair of UE Triple Fi's re-shelled to custom IEM.

Thanks
kthbrdy 2:18 PM - 27 December, 2011
ACS have been working with top DJs for the release of their new T1 Live Series IEM.

"Every T1 Live! has a pair of built-in, sub miniature, wideband, flat response microphones! Interfacing our new ambient sound processor between the wireless belt pack and your T1 Live! in-ear monitors, will allow you to introduce and adjust your ambient surroundings independently from the mix. Imagine being able to control the outside sound and safely eliminate the isolation experienced by wearing good sealing in ear monitors.

With the arrival early next year of our Live! series ambient processor, isolation will become a thing of the past. Plug in and experience your own individual sound environment as though you have nothing in your ears!"

www.acscustom.com
iNBiTuiN 7:41 PM - 27 December, 2011
I tried these guys and I'm loving it.
www.inearz.com

If you want ambience, just tell them you want the ambience option so you can still hear the room. That was my main problem with my pair since I didn't have them drilled.
www.facebook.com

Here's a thread you could follow for more ideas...
www.head-fi.org
HYDRO MATIC 5:55 PM - 29 December, 2011
Quote:
www.inearz.com

price??
dj.kinetic 6:45 PM - 29 December, 2011
I've used in ear monitors for years in lieu of regular DJ Headphones....The reason was to save my hearing as well...with in ears you don't have to turn the monitor/cue volume up super loud...personally i've used Shure in ears since i switched and havent had any complaints...check out the SE425s much cheaper alternative to UEs which i've also used as well.
DJ Remy USA 8:35 PM - 29 December, 2011
I use Bose in ear monitors works great, I prefer the noise cancelling I can look at the crowd to gauge energy and when you get used to them the need to hear ambient noise goes out of the window. Talking on the mic I just got used to not really hearing myself talk and use the up faders to fade the sound in and out as Im speaking. I think it just takes some getting used to but I love in ears
Rebelguy 9:31 PM - 29 December, 2011

I think they just customize the iems you already own. Their conversion is like $100 or so.
Niro 9:54 PM - 29 December, 2011
Inearz is doing a remold on a pair of my UE Triple Fi's, I'll let you know when I get them back. I hear they are good and the sound signature changes very little. Another way to go is to get custom tips done like the Westone UM56's. I've been using them on my UM3X while one of my ES5's is getting refitted.

You can find the Triple Fi's for around $140, $100 for reshells and $80-100 for ear impressions or $25 if you do it yourself. You can get some really good custom in-ears for under $300. I would highly recommend it.

I've tried shure's and prefer Westone and UE sound signature way more. But my old room mate swears by his 325's.
DJ BIS 3:43 PM - 30 December, 2011
Please note this thread is specifically about the active ambient sound feature in IEM's.
Niro 4:34 AM - 31 December, 2011
You know how it is in the hood, first you's talkin to Jimmy, than not even knowing it, you actually talking to Sterling.
DJ BIS 4:31 PM - 7 January, 2012
Quote:
ACS have been working with top DJs for the release of their new T1 Live Series IEM.

"Every T1 Live! has a pair of built-in, sub miniature, wideband, flat response microphones! Interfacing our new ambient sound processor between the wireless belt pack and your T1 Live! in-ear monitors, will allow you to introduce and adjust your ambient surroundings independently from the mix. Imagine being able to control the outside sound and safely eliminate the isolation experienced by wearing good sealing in ear monitors.

With the arrival early next year of our Live! series ambient processor, isolation will become a thing of the past. Plug in and experience your own individual sound environment as though you have nothing in your ears!"

www.acscustom.com

I see a lot of promise here. I sent them an email requesting release date, etc.
DJ BIS 4:33 PM - 7 January, 2012
Quote:
I use Bose in ear monitors works great, I prefer the noise cancelling I can look at the crowd to gauge energy and when you get used to them the need to hear ambient noise goes out of the window. Talking on the mic I just got used to not really hearing myself talk and use the up faders to fade the sound in and out as Im speaking. I think it just takes some getting used to but I love in ears

Yeah man, that "getting used to" process has been grueling for me. So much that I have had to stop several times. I basically could not stay with it and ended up giving up on trying to educate my ears and change my habits. Props to you for making it happen, its not easy at all.
DJ BIS 4:35 PM - 7 January, 2012
Quote:
www.inearz.com

If you want ambience, just tell them you want the ambience option so you can still hear the room. That was my main problem with my pair since I didn't have them drilled.
www.facebook.com

Here's a thread you could follow for more ideas...
www.head-fi.org

No pricing info anywhere?
Soundguy 9:54 PM - 8 March, 2012
DJ Bis,

Thom Fiegle from Sensaphonics here.

Kindly contact me via soundguy {at} sensaphonics.com to arrange for a demo of 3D.

I can brag about how it does exactly what you are wanting however, the best way to know is to try it.
kryptonitednb 3:58 AM - 9 March, 2012
Hey Bro!

I use the M-Audio in ear monitor. They are incredible. You can barely turn up your monitor because they isolate sound so well. With that said, it is a huge adjustment. You never take it out of your ear to keep the seal. I have started walking away from the mixer more than once and about ripped my ear off, but I got an extension that is a coil cable like on normal headphones. You can also get a little clip to put it on yr shirt, collar, etc.. I actually run ,ine through my shirt and up through the shirt hole. People ask me all the time, "do you not use headphones?" Also you have to get used to turning down the cue or turning it off to listen to your mix levels, etc.  

With that said, the sound is INCREDIBLE. Unparalleled by anythingn I have ever used can style. Let me Google the model real quick. 
kryptonitednb 3:58 AM - 9 March, 2012
M-Audio IE-30s.
DJ BIS 8:54 PM - 19 March, 2012
Quote:
M-Audio IE-30s.

Thanks man!!! Says a lot about the bass response on the IE-30's... being that you do mostly bass-oriented music! Nice!

I am still after these IEM's with the mic included. I hate that they need a 9V battery to operate (one more thing to carry in my bag... and remembering to keep them charged).

But I am gonna give the Sansaphonics unit a demo.

The release date of the one at ACS ( www.acscustom.com ) is still inconclusive, and I don't want to wait much longer.

I'll update this thread with my review.
DJ BIS 10:13 PM - 19 March, 2012
Was just doing some further research on "ambient" IEM stuff. And found this:
adaptear.com

For DJ's it would be a nice option to have a "limiter" that would prevent any popping, and other weird noises that occur by mistake when DJ'ing. Its a nice form of "insurance" against accidental ear damage. It's additional bulk to have to carry, but to some it may be worth it.

But that's not all, towards the end of the demo video I found a curious bit:

The AdaptEar limiting device can incoroporate TWO separate audio sources! Watch the video and notice the explanation at around 3:38 ---> Watchwww.youtube.com

What this means is that you could come up with your own cheap/home-brewed In-Ear "ambient" listening solution by simply adding a separate microphone that you could place on a mic stand or in the DJ booth.

You would connect your AdaptEar device to your DJ Mixer, then the IEM to the AdapEar device and then also connect a high sensitivity mic (Here's an affordable choice: www.google.com ) to the second AdapEar input connector.

You could adjust the Mic volume and the Music volume separately to suit your needs, meanwhile both sources will be limited from high spikes that could hurt your ears.

CONS: Having to buy all the separate parts... decent IEM ($300 and up) + The price of the Zoom H2 ($150) + The price of the AdaptEar device (not published, can't imagine it would cost more than $200). The inconvenience of carrying and setting everything up at a gig. You also have a lot of separate variables and things to control and worry about should anything go wrong while you are playing.

PROS: Flexible "Ambient" solution potentially available at under $700 (for everything) with the additional protection of active limiting on audio sources which protect your hearing no matter what. Does not require you to be a rocket scientist to make it work, its fairly simple.

What do you think?
HYDRO MATIC 2:02 PM - 20 March, 2012
DJ BIS

Well lets see...my monitor was 450 with the stand. If i could find a way to use this with out carrying the stand...the limiting feature to me seems woth the extra 250
DJ BIS 9:49 AM - 28 March, 2012
Yeah, this is years beyond carrying a monitor speaker with a stand.
DJ BIS 6:32 AM - 18 April, 2012
I put in for the Sensaphonics Demo unit a few weeks ago. Still nothing... :0(
DJ BIS 11:29 PM - 20 April, 2012
And like that... The package just showed up at my door today!
www.sensaphonics.com
Looks really nice. The case alone (Water tight "Pelican style" case with automatic pressure purge valve and full foam+rubber lining), is probably worth a few bucks.

Here is a video I recorded: www.facebook.com
Photos: www.facebook.com

Hardware: the bodypack's plastic case is very sturdy, put together with very small Phillips and HEX screws. All hinges and switches feel solid. The braided chords appear to be pretty heavy duty and are protected from accidental strains/yanking by special clips on the bodypack itself.

A 1/8" to 1/4" plug adapter along with a coiled extension cable will be something I NEED TO GET to try them tonight and for the next 2 weeks.

For demo purposes the in-ear plugs that came with it do a good job of fitting in your ear and isolating sound (I was worried about this before I ordered the demo), but so far they seem to isolate fairly well. Fit is not great, the earphones are heavy and hang out of your ear quite a good bit (maybe I am not pushing them in far enough?) but keep in mind that these are demo units. If you commit to purchasing these you will have custom-made ones made for you, so the fit and feel should be nearly perfect.

Putting them in your ears and turning on the bodypack with the included 9V battery allows you to test the microphones placed outside of each earphone. The first thing I noticed was a slight amount of "hiss" being generated by the system, something which won't really affect your listening experience live at a gig with dance music.

The built in microphones do a good job of bringing the ambient sounds into your ear accurately and the occlusion effect (en.wikipedia.org) is reduced, but I will have to test this a little bit more to conclude whether it is fully effective while performing live.

These are just initial reactions to my experience. I'll add more detail in a few days.
DJ BIS 2:37 PM - 21 April, 2012
First night out was quite pleasant. Here are some of my first reactions to playing live with the 3D Active Ambient IEM (Single Driver):

After getting a coiled extension (1/4") at Radio Shack and a 1/4" to 1/8" tip adapter to connect the bodypack I was able to connect the IEM system to the Pioneer DJM-800 I used last night. Figuring out how to use the cueing system on the 800 was a pain, but after I got through that I was golden. The IEM demo earpieces fit a bit tight in my ear which made it uncomfortable for the 2 1/2 hours I used them, but they did ensure proper isolation which is key to getting good results with these and a must for this test period. Isolation was excellent. It is very awkward being fully isolated from the room, these are advertised to reduce noise by 37db, so a booming sound system sounds more like a low voice with these on (when set to "Perform" mode). The vibrations of the room would reach my feet/body in a sort of asynchronous time in relation to the sound coming from the mixer which kind of throws you off as you start to turn up the volume on your "headphones" and most specially when you try to mix. You have to completely ignore the vibrations around you and focus on the sound in your ears (and this happens with any kind of IEM, not just the Sensaphonics system). It will take some getting used to the bass not being heard and only felt.

I carefully turned the volume up on the DJ mixer to a loudness level which I felt was comfortable and stayed there for the rest of the night without the need to change it. In "Perform" mode I was getting crisp loud and clear sound for cueing my tracks, however I noticed a serious lack of low end. I checked my EQ settings to see if I was messing up but that was not the case. The Sensaphonics single driver earphones appear to be somewhat deficient in this department. Maybe it would be a bit different with custom molded earpieces??? but I doubt it. Immediately I felt disconnected from the dancefloor because the heavy rumble of the room was certainly not matching what my ears were hearing through my cue mix. I felt like more bass was needed in my ear drums for accurate EQ'ing! I adjusted the bass on certain tracks that I know are very bass-heavy (Drake's "Motto" for example) but for the most part I kept the EQ flat throughout the night as I was still trying to learn the IEM's acoustic signature.

At that point I thought it would be a good time to get some of the "ambient" sounds in my ears, maybe then I could judge if the bass was too loud out on the dancefloor? So I flicked the switch on the bodypack to "Full Ambient" and BOOM! I got hit with what seemed to be the full 100+db of sound in the room. The mics in the earpieces were certainly doing their job! If you are working at very high volume levels in a room full of people the difference in settings (going from "Full Ambient" to "Perform") with this IEM system can be pretty startling. I took a moment to really "feel" what I was hearing in "Full Ambient" mode. The boomy-ness of the low frequencies in the room appeared to be amplified by the mics in the earpieces, but everything else sounded fairly true to life. Nothing seemed off. I tried quickly removing and re-inserting one of the earbuds to gauge the difference in level between the "Full Ambient" mode in the IEM's and what the room actually sounded like with my bare ear. Appart from the added "boominess" everything sounded quite even in terms of loudness and clarity, very cool!

As I placed the earpiece back in my ear a patron approached the DJ booth and made a song request. I was very surprised by the fact that it felt as though I could hear her better with the earpieces on, considering the loudness of the room (like having bionic ears!!! hahaha)! This was an important test which the system passed with flying colors. Throughout the night various patrons made requests and all I had to do was hit the switch on the bodypack to "Full Ambient" mode and I could hear them (and myself) talking very well. No need to pull out the earpieces, and no occlusion effect either. This alone had me smiling. You just have to be quick on the switch, back and forth from one mode to another as you try to quickly take requests and keep mixing.

Following that I grabbed the mic, with the IEM system in "Full Ambient" mode and shouted-out a few people in the crowd. There was still some remnants of the occlusion effect in my ears when I hollered but it was not too bothersome because I could hear myself clearly out on the dancefloor. Since I had no sound technician mixing my music/voice, I was controlling the loudness of my voice and Mic volume on my own. As far as I could tell things were sounding OK on the dancefloor. At least I hope I was not being too loud on the mic. More practice will reveal the truth.

At the end of the night I removed the earpieces and my ears felt decent, a bit sore from the plugs but not tired from sound pressure.

In summary I was a bit disappointed with the sound quality in the system's "Performance" setting. The Earphones that Sensaphonics has developed are designed to provide "reference" quality acoustics, not colored/consumer acoustics, however if this means losing a lot of the low end from the songs I am trying to mix together I may have to look into their Dual Driver earpieces to find out if they provide a bit more low end and not ONLY added headroom.

The effectiveness of the "Ambient" feature really came to shine with the flick of the switch, this is exactly what I wanted. And this IS the core feature for me and the reason why this system is so exclusive (and pricey). Noise in the system could be improved, specially when its being advertised as "reference" grade equipment.
Very early in the night the yellow "Battery" light came on. I did not know what to make of it as the alkaline battery I tested was fully charged before the show (I'll have to do some more reading with the included manual to find out what the light meant). This also lead me to think about the mess of 9V Alkaline batteries I would have to start carrying in my bag... Not cool!

Overall this was a very good first impression. I'll try to add more to this review in the next few days as I get more experience and I try the system with other DJ mixers.
slimmjimm 6:36 PM - 21 April, 2012
Man, I'm really diggin this, but the price. I know you really can't put a price tag on your hearing, but it makes it a bit hard to get into.

This is a definite something I want, I'll just have to wait for the rest of our review and then allocate funds from there. Hearing or not, the wife will not be happy about dropping 2 stacks.
DjPolarCa 8:12 PM - 21 April, 2012
great review! will have to look into these...i think u almost got me sold, except the next to no bass part...that is the hold up.
DJ BIS 12:26 PM - 22 April, 2012
Yeah, I played with them for 4 hours today. Unfortunately the bass continues to be a problem. I am going to test them in my studio when I get a chance. There is also a test procedure recommended by the manufacturer's website. I have to try it.

Headroom is not a problem. Plenty of volume left, but bass is really lacking.

The price is really prohibitive, its such a tough decision.
DJ BIS 1:00 PM - 22 April, 2012
DjPolarCa 6:11 AM - 23 April, 2012
Personally, u can't put a price on ur hearing. If u can't hear what ur playing, then u are not in tune with what's happening on the dance floor (roller rink).

Was packing up from an x-mas party, guy coming on stage had the monitor louder then the system facing the crowd. Could believe how loud he had it, from the 5hrs of music that I played I had no hurting ears from mixing, but in te 10 mins it took to get torn down to packing away and loading...my ears felt like they were on the verge of bleeding.

Now that a few more shows are in the works, wanna look at something that will help protect the hearing from the main systems and from other Dj's making the systems sound like crap, which I'm sure we all have had experience with. Along with managers that have no clue and come up and push the volume louder...

Hell I've had one general manager come up, turn it up a couple of notches. Then proceeds to threaten me to shut me down if i turn it down. Then the one bar manager comes and turns the limit down on the system and says if ANYBODY turns the system up again, send them to me...well long story short, heated discussion about proper levels insued and I still ended up gettin payed, but with a very disgruntled gm that I am glad I don't do gigs for again...hopefully.
DJ BIS 6:22 PM - 8 May, 2012
Got word back from the "Adaptear" folks in the UK.
They referred me to a US distributor which appears to be very DJ-oriented: preservear.com

I got a chance to talk to the rep at Sensaphonics a few days ago. They are unaware of any hiss produced by their product. I am clearly, without a doubt getting a hiss from the 3D ambient system, with and without being hooked up to an audio source (that's how I know its the system itself). The rep said that it may be a degraded demo system, but he said he checks them before they are dispatched for demos, so there shouldn't be a problem.

In regards to the lack of BASS issue his go-to response was along the lines of "huge professionals use them on stage... they won't take a crappy product... there is a reason why such professionals pick the 3D ambient system... if it lacked bass they would not use it". But when asked if any DJ's have embraced the product he said: not one yet has become a customer, probably due to economic reasons. While I can't disagree in that we aren't making Dave Matthew's money, I must say that professionals like Dave M. have very different acoustic needs than DJ's do. So right away his response seemed a bit uninformed/demeaning.

Then he touched on the very real possibility that the seal of the one-size-fits-all demo earpieces in my ears could be bad with the demo system which would have a negative effect on low frequencies inside the ear. I explained that I pushed the darn things as far as I could and that it felt as though they were sealing VERY well. I also added that I know when the seal is broken, because in other instances when I did not push the ear pieces far enough inside the ear canal I could break the seal by moving my jaw, which momentarily allowed the ambient sound in. When the ambient sound suddenly reaches your ear drum you totally KNOW you lost the plug's seal. He told me to try the system in more environments and settings so that's just what I did.

Last night I did a lot of in-studio low frequency testing and judging based on bass-heavy music that I am intimately familiar with here in the studio and the club. I also tried some test tones and such (including the one on their website to insure proper IEM seal). There was no combination of settings, devices, songs, etc, that would sway my opinion about the earpieces having a very obvious lack of BASS. And I swear I pushed the ear pieces as far as I safely could (they hurt). The rep said that the system is a reference quality audio device so everything will sound flat, but IMO they aren't sounding accurate on the low frequency side based on my experience with the music I am playing (or the way I'm used to hearing them). In addition to that I have to question a "reference" grade system that has "hiss" when you turn it on, even if its a slight amount of it.

An additional curiosity is that Sensaphonics claims isolation levels of up to 37db, while most other pro IEM companies that make custom ear pieces claim 24-26db isolation with their IEM systems. How does the isolation level increase by that much with the 3D ambient system, given that ALL custom ear pieces should perform the same if properly fitted in the ear?

Finally, just like their seal test using 50HZ and 500Hz I tried a tone generator which I set to the same volume as their test. Both gave consistent results: the 50 Hz bass tone felt a bit lower in both ears when compared to the 500hz tone, which according to them could be a sign of a bad IEM seal. But like I said, I can't push these ear-plugs in any further, and I feel VERY isolated!
Can I ear the bass? Yes, but it feels as if it lacks definition, body (or whatever you want to call it) and loudness. The bass emanating from the club's speakers seems to overpower it (since low frequencies do reach your eardrums even when fully isolated), so sometimes its just difficult to gauge how I should be adjusting the EQ's low frequencies while blending songs, etc, because I can't hear the bass clearly.

Again, all of the previous criticism is balanced out by the convenience obtained from the system by incorporating the microphones right on the earpieces and the additional settings on the beltpack. Other than the lack of bass these things DO sound sweet. In the end it is up to every DJ to figure out whether the acoustics of a specific IEM system fits their needs or not.

For two weeks I gave these a run and had consistent results. Indoors, outdoors, in the studio and in the club. My conclusion was that with the bass deficiency I found, I could not use these confidently. However I am 50/50 on the topic of proper ear seal in my ears, and I am pretty sure that having the custom pieces ordered would show improvements. The question is: how much of a bass improvement would I hear?

In the end this would be a risk, a $2500+ risk!!! If the bass was still insufficient for my application with the final, custom ear pieces, I would have wasted the money as the custom nature of the product would prevent me from returning it to the company or selling it to another professional.

In addition Sensapnonics is not interested in payment plans of any kind, so you have to show the full amount at once.

So I am sad to have to step away from The Sensaphonics 3D Ambient system under this premise. I was really looking forward to investing on them and finally giving my problem a final solution. The product attained I'd say 75% satisfaction with me, but when it came to bass things just did not go well, and that's huge for me. Battery life seemed very short as well, so there is a cost involved there (I got about 3 nights out of one 9V battery).

----------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------

As a side note I am attempting an experiment with my Zoom recorder as an ambient mic (as described a few posts above), it may do the job fairly well, but of course it will lack the simplicity and portability of the Sensaphonics system, though at a fraction of the price.
tomlowd 7:21 AM - 21 May, 2012
such a great review!!! thanks so much!! i'm looking to trial a pair myself....

is it ever possible to beatmix in the ambient mode with the sound from the monitors coming through the mikes and the cue coming direct from the mixer? kind of like one headphone on, one-off when using normal cans?
DJ BIS 8:25 PM - 21 May, 2012
Yeah, the beltpack has a knob that lets you turn up the ambient volume, so you can have both as loud as you want.
Though, having loud ambient sound while having your cue loud as well kind of defeats the purpose of having in-ears to protect you from loud ambient sound....
PopRoXxX 4:38 PM - 22 May, 2012
You should Google "Clear Tone Monitors". Based out of Orlando, FL. Dude used to work for big companies I guess and went on his own. Great product and he even endorses big name artists. The price is WAY better than any I've seen. He works with you personally and will even do your ear molds for FREE if you're in the area
DJ BIS 12:11 PM - 23 May, 2012
I believe I did see his website. But I don't think he has active "Ambient" technology on his.
Thanks for the tip, PopRoXXX
DJ BIS 12:13 PM - 23 May, 2012
By the way, yeah, I've been in touch with them a while back, Hispanic dude, good people. Best prices for sure. www.cleartunemonitors.com
PopRoXxX 2:51 PM - 23 May, 2012
Hell yeah. I guess I'm not understanding this "ambient" technology. Never used it. I've been playing with in-ears for years because of my other music/instrument based music with multiple bands/gigs in the past. So I took that whole live stage feel to the DJ aspect later on.

What's this "ambient" stuff?
DJ BIS 6:45 AM - 24 May, 2012
It's all throughout the thread. But in summary:

When you use isolating IEM's they do just that, they isolate the room and keep only the music that you are cueing. The trade-off is that you cannot hear the room, the crowd, requests, and even your own voice as it projects onto the room. For some individuals this extreme feeling of isolation can present problems.

IEM companies have come up with "passive" and "active" solutions to this issue.

Passive: they drill a tiny hole in the custom earpieces which allows the sound from the room to make it into your ear. You can block the hole to obtain full isolation if you choose, or you can open it up, but this procedure is not something you can do on the spot while playing.

Active: Instead of small holes on the earpieces, a mixer/beltpack that you wear is introduced along with tiny microphones on each earpiece. The mics pick up the sound from the room and bring it to the beltpack where you can adjust how much of it you want to hear. This creates a perfect mix that you can constantly adjust, tweak and customize to your liking. So far only one company is selling this technology, and it comes at a premium price.

See the rest of the forum for details.
tomlowd 1:08 PM - 27 May, 2012
Yo bis

Thought you'd be interested that I've got a pair of sensaphonics to try, they couldn't give me a generic pair like you got, they are moulded to someone else's ears, so I can't put them in properly. Gotta say the build quality and presentation is not what I would expect for a product costing over 2500 bucks. I think I'm going to get an ACS t1 live, because I heard nothing but good things about the sound, and the triple driver thing sounds much better than the single driver sensaphonics...

And while ACS can't give a date of who their belt pack will be released, they will surely do it reasonably soon. And until then I'm going to use a small mixer and a stereo mike to control my 'ambient' level. I like the idea of having the mike on a fader so I can constantly adjust it rather than just switch between two modes, so it may be a better solution anyway.... Gonna get a limiter too llike the one you linked to above.... I can get a limiter, a mixer, a mike and the best in ears there are for the same price as the sensaphonics....

Thanks for your review. A few other people have concurred that the sound quality isn't that great for djs...
DJ BIS 10:07 PM - 27 May, 2012
Whoah man. That's crazy. Thanks for taking the time to check out the info.
Let me know how you do.
The folks at ACS have me on the list of people to call when they are ready to release their system.
I will update this thread when they do.
tomlowd 10:14 AM - 28 May, 2012
preservear.com

fyi. adaptears american distributor. looking like a good option for limiting
DJ BIS 10:49 AM - 28 May, 2012
Indeed. No battery required either! A simple beltpack, with additional inputs and extra protection for your ears.
DJ BIS 5:35 AM - 29 August, 2012
UPDATE: A very kind gentleman from Sensaphonics reached out to me yesterday. Thom, the original person that contacted me months ago has left the company.
The new person in charge of marketing is much more in touch with DJ's needs and says that he can probably help me with the bass problem if I am willing to give the 3D's another try, this time with full custom earpieces and a longer test period.

I think I am going to try it, even though the cost of creating the ear molds is on me ($75-$100 I think). What do you guys think?
DJ EZSMOOTH 12:24 AM - 18 October, 2012
spring for the custom molds. Sensaphonics made mine for my shure se425's and it doubled the bass purley because of the seal it creates.
DJ BIS 8:28 AM - 18 October, 2012
true dat EZ!
Got some great news for those interested in the 3D's. Super impressed with Sensaphonics' response to the feedback I provided and the modifications that their engineering team implemented.

I have been testing a new "Beta" 3D product with new tuning, and features that appear to be squarely aimed at our needs.

I have been testing for 3 weeks or so, I haven't finished testing all the features but so far the results are freaking amazing!

Hoping to have a full review for you guys soon! I'm stoked! haha
DJ EZSMOOTH 1:40 AM - 19 October, 2012
Can't wait to read it!
DJ BIS 9:46 AM - 24 January, 2013
▀▀▀▀ PLEASE READ MY PREVIOUS LONG POSTS BEFORE READING THIS ▀▀▀▀▀

Hello everyone. I wanted to come back to put a conclusion to this, my report on the Sensaphonics 3D IEM system.

As I mentioned before, things changed a lot since they brought in some new engineering staff who have actually had the intention of improving the features that I thought were lacking since the last major report I posted here. It's rare when you see a company that takes feedback to heart and decides to go to bat for their customers.

After a few months of feedback and testing, the new-and-improved instrument that Sensaphonics has delivered is close to perfect in my opinion.

As you will read in my previous posts (above), I did my best to test their first demo set with the generic ear-plugs they give you. I ended up loving the concept and the features in the 3D system but disliking the most crucial of features: the sound.

This system is not cheap, so if its going to work, it has to work GREAT and I am not going to accept anything other than that. If I am going to invest as much as I would on a flagship DJ-Mixer or computer, the sound has to be awesome. The fit has to be comfortable too.

I repeated all of my tests and have now spent since October with the new product, so let me explain what they have done:

• Custom Molded Ear Pieces:
Having the full seal of a custom molded earpiece is key to achieving accurate sound, specially when it comes to the low frequencies (bass). The cost of creating your ear molds is separate from the cost of the 3D Ambient system (I believe), it usually costs $100-$150 to get your ear molds. So now that this part is covered I can accurately judge and compare the old system with the new one.

• New, Dual Driver Earphones (3D-2):
During my first Demo I used the 3D-1(single driver earphones). For this new trial I now have a total of 4 drivers in my ears, so I am noticing much better bass response and a really natural sound for the kind of music that we play on a day-to-day. The other thing it did... it boosted the volume level capability by a bunch! With the 3D-1's I did not need to turn up the volume very much in order to hear loudly. But now I actually find it somewhat difficult trying to keep the volume level nice and low. The headphone volume knob on my TTM-57 is at 1 or 2 on the dial!!! lol

The 3D-2's are really loud, but this has helped me become better with my channel gain management. If I start to creep up on my levels I immediately start to FEEL IT, so I back off my gains a little. It keeps my ears healthy and also protects me from the volume "creeping" that we all tend to suffer during a long set. You will immediately notice things about songs you used to mix that you may have been doing wrong. The level of accuracy that is afforded with the 3D system really gives you a new level of listening and understanding for your live mixing and EQ'ing.

• More BASS? No Problem!
Even with the addition of a 2nd driver to the earpieces, I still felt that some music, specially while played in a loud room was not "feeling" right. The bass sounded great to me outside of the club, and in the studio, but in the club I certainly could use a bit more bass. I want to FEEL it!
It wasn't until a few weeks after I had been using this new demo system that I made a call to the engineer in charge of my demo. I explained that even though the system was now at a reasonable point for me, maybe a little more bass could be beneficial???

He responded: "well, did you try the 'BASS BOOST' feature???" I was dumbfounded!!!

Sensaphonics had figured out a way to re-purpose some of the space on the new 3DAA-2 3D Ambient System bodypack to include a switch that engages an additional 10db of low frequency power, but I was clueless about it until the man on the other side of the line explained to me where the switch was!!! lol

Here's me: BASS BOOST ---> [ON] ..... "Oh whoah holly sh*t!!!" lulz

The difference was SO incredibly pleasing. Seriously though, why didn't they have this before on my first demo??? This totally makes everything sound the way I expect it to sound! "Why would Dave Matthews not want this awesome BASS????" I thought.... lol

I went back to all of my test tracks and listened with a renewed sense of excitement and confidence on the 3D ambient system. I took the system to a few DJ gigs and took turns with the BASS BOOST feature on and off, just to see how much of a difference it made in a real, live DJing scenario... Hands down... The bass boost was 100% better for DJing.

The music now felt full, it agreed with the feeling my body was experiencing as the club vibrated, etc. My ears and my mix now felt "in sync" and my EQ changes sounded accurate and musical. Needless to say, the BASS BOOST switch on the pack is now permanently set to the ON position. It might be a bit too much for the studio or for some kinds of music (classical, some vinyl rips, and others), but for Electronic music (specially electro, tribal, dubstep, "trap", D&B), Latin music and Hip-Hop, Bass boost is what completes the listening experience for me.

• No More Hizzing: The noise that bothered me with my first trial unit is gone. The new demo is totally quiet. I assume that the previous demo body pack had been damaged? Either way, no matter what you are listening to now, the quiet parts of the songs will remain quiet and without distraction.

• 3D Ambient is STILL just as BEAUTIFUL: 3 nights of straight DJing, approximately 16 hours total during a weekend (sometimes with a drummer cracking away right next to me) just doesn't face me anymore. Back in the day, it would take my ears a few nights of rest just to recover. I was damaging my ears exponentially fast.

I finished the weekend with my ears feeling quite fresh, no buzzing when I go to sleep, no pain during the show! And the whole time I DJ'd I heard my music plenty loud, with great bass, did not need external monitors and did not worry about the drummer being too loud anymore... The bodypack now allows for easy volume adjustment of the stereo microphones on the earpieces so I can tweak how much of the room ambiance I want to let into my ears while I am mixing. If I want to hear the crowd and the club system I turn the dial up just a tad, not too much (same when I have a drummer or other artist next to me). This gives me just enough to feel the "vibe" in the room, without the need of crushing my ears.

This volume adjustment is separate from my CUE volume on the mixer! This means that the level of listening control I have now is downright impressive. And I still have the full AMBIENT switch available on the bodypack in case somebody needs to speak to me for a moment. If I have somebody wanting to request a song or a manager asking to make a quick announcement, I simply hit the switch to ON and now its just as if I had taken the earpieces OUT... The mics come on at full volume and I can hear EVERYTHING loud and clear.......... perfect!

CONCLUSION: I believe that with this new demo, my original "issues" with Sensaphonics 3D Ambient system have been rectified to a point where I have no reason NOT to consider buying such an important piece of gear. The price is steep, with good reason... the product is cutting edge technology, made for professional use, road abuse, touring, and delivers professional grade sound (just like your $2000+ mixer). The price may be high but so is the cost of most of my precious gear. And though as precious my gear might be, there is one even more important set of instruments which I CANNOT afford to misuse or damage: my ears.

Clearly, not everyone is in a position to afford such a gear, but in my case I am making a career out of music and I hope to continue to use my EARS to pay the bills for many years to come! Investing in another professional piece of gear that not only saves my ears but will help me guarantee longevity in this business is worth untold amounts of money!

So if you are a professional DJ on the grind, playing several shows a week, then going home and working on some edits, then getting in the car and listening to more music, then stopping by to hear your favorite DJ at the local club, then going to a concert on your night off... (repeat every week) You need to consider some sort of protection. Musicians earplugs are my choice for non-critical listening (say when I go to a concert), but when I have to make musical decisions live or in the studio, I need accuracy, and the earplugs just haven't delivered for me in that department (see my first posts in this thread).

Good lawd, its almost 5AM! This got way too long. Sorry.

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, SHOOT.
IF I HAVE CONFUSED YOU (cause I am half way asleep), let me know and I can try to clarify.

I have one more thing to discuss and that is BATTERY LIFE. I will go over it ASAP.
Thank you and take care!
DJ BIS 9:55 AM - 24 January, 2013
I just found out they have a Facebook page: www.facebook.com
DJ BIS 10:05 AM - 24 January, 2013
Quote:

Hey man, any updates?!
DJ BIS 1:15 AM - 30 January, 2013
Anybody?
DeezNotes 6:17 PM - 28 February, 2013
Excellent review. I'm in the market for another pair of IEMs and I was looking at these.
DJ BIS 8:56 PM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
Excellent review. I'm in the market for another pair of IEMs and I was looking at these.

Deez, on the real. These things are amazing. They are changing the game for me.
Let me know if you want me to put you on with the folks at Sensaphonics.
DeezNotes 4:00 AM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I appreciate it. I've already ordered the Westone UM3X RCs. I got a good price on them and I need replacements fast. Initially I was looking at the Shure 535s, but I wasn't too confident in their track record. Some custom molds would be nice, but I can't spend that much right now. I just hope the Westones will last at least as long as my Ultimate Ears. One of them cracked and broke on me today.
DJ BIS 7:31 AM - 1 March, 2013
No doubt man. Its hard to go back to headphones when you start working with in-ears.
I hope you don't have any more problems with them!

The thing about the price...
I have bought a couple of $2000 mixers before, I have spent $3000 in the best players, I have plunked $4000 in the most powerful and reliable speakers i could find, etc... (quality DJ gear is not cheap).

Is the health of our ears, (the MOST IMPORTANT TOOL that we have for DJing) not worthy of a large investment like this? I believe they should be! I need my ears for as long as possible, and I want to enjoy my music at each step of the way knowing that I'll still be able to produce a song when I am in my old age if I have to.

I would not throw more than $600 for standard, high quality in-ears. If you can mix fine while having your ears completely blocked from the room's sound, there is no need to spend more than a few hundred bucks. But I can't. I really like to be able to hear the room too and hate being isolated. Hearing the crowd and feeling the vibe is a big part of what gets me going when I play. When I realized that there was technology that would allow me to mix both my mixer's signal and the room's "vibe" I was floored. Only thing is that the technology is exclusive (I can't find it anywhere else), Sensaphonics holds all the patents and they have made strides to perfect it for us (the DJ's) which I respect, so I decided that I would invest, just like I have throughout my career on other important gear that allows me to make a living and enjoy what I do.

By the way, DeezNotes: I am a huge fan of your old school/classic breaks mixtape. I keep it around and I bang it for inspiration all the time! THX!
DeezNotes 7:54 PM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:
By the way, DeezNotes: I am a huge fan of your old school/classic breaks mixtape. I keep it around and I bang it for inspiration all the time! THX!

That's dope man. Thanks!

I've been using my in ears for a few years now. Usually, I'll throw my cans in the trunk just in case, but I haven't used them out in a long time. I also carry them with me every day going back and forth to work, so that's one of the main reasons I want something that has a median price range (besides the fact that I don't want to dish out $1k right now).

For this weekend, I can still use the ones I have - only using 1 ear though. I'll just chop one of my cords in half.

So the Sensaphonics in ears plug into a pack? And this pack can't be used with other headphones?
DJ BIS 8:23 PM - 1 March, 2013
The 3D active ambient system is a complete package, basically the highlight of the product is that it comes with In-Ears that have condenser mics IN THEM. The belt pack is, effectively, a mixer that controls how much of the audio received by the condenser mics you can hear.

The whole idea being that you can control what is coming in through your mixer (cue/master) and when you want to mix in a bit of the "room" you can easily do it. You don't have to keep taking your in-ears out to hear things, or to hear your voice over the mic. You simply adjust a volume dial and/or flick a switch.

The benefits of this system have really come to shine in really loud rooms, or when I have a long weak and my ears start to get fatigued from the amount of listening hours and DJ time. I can lower the volume on my (headphone output on the mixer tremendously, and I can adjust how loud I want the room to sound). If I need to take a request or something I simply flick the switch and I can hear the patron speak as if I had no in-ears on. Its crazy.

I hate talking over the mic with in-ears on, now all I do is hit the switch on the beltpack and I can hear myself normally. And playing with a drummer or other loud instruments next to me is much more enjoyable since I can adjust how loud they sound to me on stage. With normal in-ears you just would not hear them as well.

For you, who have already gotten used to the "occlusion effect" with your in-ears, and have been using standard in-ears for a while there is probably no need to spend the money: unless you want better sound, more isolation, and the option to mix in the stage/room audio when and how you like it. The 3D ambient system in the end protects your ears much more than normal "ear-buds" and standard "cans" (over the ear headphones).

I'll try to record a video showing them.
DeezNotes 8:42 PM - 1 March, 2013
Ah, I didn't know they had mics in there!? I was wondering how that feature worked. Sooo nice...
the_black_one 8:44 PM - 1 March, 2013
might drop the coin.... My right ear is fucked
DJ BIS 10:21 PM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:
Ah, I didn't know they had mics in there!? I was wondering how that feature worked. Sooo nice...

Yeah man, thats the reason for the price. Nobody else is the industry is doing this stuff yet. I have literally waited for a couple of years to see an imitator. So far nobody has stepped up to the plate...???
DJ BIS 10:22 PM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:

The Black One, As they say:
Nobody Got Time For That!
the_black_one 11:34 PM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

now we need a serato dj forum hook up...
stevie o 2:16 AM - 2 March, 2013
Hey bis. Great review. The original link doesn't work anymore. Is there a new site?
the_black_one 2:19 AM - 2 March, 2013
Quote:
Hey bis. Great review. The original link doesn't work anymore. Is there a new site?

www.sensaphonics.com
DJ BIS 7:48 AM - 2 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

now we need a serato dj forum hook up...

It can't hurt to ask, right?
qbaser 10:05 AM - 29 April, 2013
Hi there. Does anybody know if the less costly 'ACS T1 Live' tripple driver moulds (which have small mics in them too) will work with the sensaphonics 3D Ambient bodypack?

I've been waiting ages for ACS to releae their bodypack but looks like its taking forever. Would be good to know the answer if anyone can oblige thanks.

Al
Rebelguy 6:48 PM - 29 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah man, thats the reason for the price. Nobody else is the industry is doing this stuff yet. I have literally waited for a couple of years to see an imitator. So far nobody has stepped up to the plate...???

Actually Shure used to make a microphone attachment you could add in between your output and in ears. You could flip a switch to hear when someone talked to you.
qbaser 6:58 PM - 29 April, 2013
Rebelguy, I have that Shure attachment mic. And it doesnt work well, not enough signal and only one mic so mono. Doesnt do the job that we are all hearing about with the 3D systems. p.s. As I have said ACS are doing T1 Live that have ambient mics. Just their body pack isnt available yet!
DJ BIS 1:30 AM - 30 April, 2013
I have been in the ACS mailing list for a couple of years now. They have never sent me an update. :(
Their website has had the same info for at least 3 years... "coming soon", yet nothing has surfaced. It's a shame really, I was hoping I could try their much more affordable product and use it on the regular.

I wonder if they are having problems with their design? I know Sensaphonics went through a lot to get their patents, etc, so their sticking point could be related to that and/or licensing related.

I know it's still expensive for the average DJ these days, but Sensaphonics is having a really nice discount on their 3D Ambient system until the end of may I believe. Might be worth a shot if you at least request to demo the system.

I assure you, even the demo unit will put a huge smile on your face.

PS: in other news... I should have a full video review of the system up by next week. It might help some of you.
DJ BIS 1:35 AM - 30 April, 2013
Quote:
Does anybody know if the less costly 'ACS T1 Live' tripple driver moulds (which have small mics in them too) will work with the sensaphonics...

Al

I am almost complete sure that they will not be able to work with each other. Similar to how Rane and Traktor devices don't connect the same way or talk to each other.

I also imagine that the kit is sold as a bundle for a good reason. The acoustics on these devices are very carefully matched. Much like an active powered speaker has an amp that has been matched to the speaker(s) being driven, etc.
Rebelguy 6:08 PM - 1 May, 2013
So what system do you recommend for djs? Single or dual driver?
DJ BIS 9:12 PM - 1 May, 2013
Quote:
So what system do you recommend for djs? Single or dual driver?

As mentioned above, I found the single driver to be insufficient but at that time the Bass boost feature wasn't around. The dual-driver unit I am using now is great. The bass-Boost feature it comes with is also very useful.

It seems to me that the non-bass-boosted EQ curve on the 3D's isn't made to emphasize low frequencies often found in dance music recordings. This setting is nice for most music though (vocals, guitar, or if you are an engineer trying to mix a band, etc.) The bass boost changes that for me by accentuating the bass perfectly to my liking. It makes it sound equal or better compared to the over-emphasized bass that exists in a club, so it's perfect.
DJ BIS 3:20 AM - 19 August, 2014
Hey guys! What's up? Its been a minute. How's everybody's ears doing so far?
Has anybody tried the 3D Active Ambient system yet?
Just wanted to update this thread by sharing some recent activity I had with Sensaphonics.
They came out from Chicago to the DJ Expo in AC (for the first time) last week and I got a chance to hang out, ask questions, DJ a little bit and learn a ton about our ears along with the unique engineering and ear-saving technology that goes into their products - right from a Sensaphonics engineer and a Sensaphonics doctor! I also served as a good "demonstrator" since I've owned a set of 3D's for the last few years and have now acquired a pretty good amount of experience with them in booths and stages around the region... DJ's had a lot of interesting questions/opinions about IEM's in general. I am still pretty wired up from all the action.

I came home impressed with all the stuff I learned, but most importantly, surprised by the overwhelming amount of interest DJ's expressed for their hearing health. I also noticed that there was a LOT of misconceptions in the DJ community regarding in-ear products, and misunderstandings about hearing safety and quality. A lot of people thought Sensaphonics was there selling HEARING AIDS! lol Other folks though they were selling wireless products for DJing (like wireless belt-pack transmitters and such?). And the majority of folks that saw the booth were pretty intrigued by the ear canal "impressions", which were being done right there, for free by the doctor.

My biggest revelation was when Joe, the Sensaphonics "sound guy" (engineer), took out a special device for measuring loudness in a room and the sound coming from any source, ( www.sensaphonics.com ) and revealed to me the actual levels at which I am used to listening to my in-ears while I DJ, compared to the levels that I used to push on my nice expensive headphones before I ever knew about the 3D's. The result was between 70db on the more quiet sections of a song, to a max of about 94db peaks on really loud or bass-heavy audio, or when scratching. Most of my mixing stayed fairly steady within 80db and 90db on my Rane Sixty-Two mixer (not bad for my crappy ears!). The knob on my headphone gain is always at 10 o-clock (the usual for my in-ears), while the gains on the mixer always were OUT of the RED. A lot of the times my VU meters hit the second orange led, but thats still within a good gain threshold I think (no distortion). Compare this to the way I listen to my Pioneer HDJ-2000 headphones: 2 o-clock on the headphone gain, sometimes 3 o-clock. (LOUD! And no protection/isolation from the room noise!)

At first I thought the device was just a normal decibel meter like this cheapy one that I bought years ago (www.sonicelectronix.com), but then he went to explain that the device is actually designed and calibrated to measure very specific devices... in this case the dbCheck device has the full Sensaphonics product line stored so that you can confirm with confidence that your dual-driver Sensaphonics in-ears, or single driver, or whatever you may be using from their current IEM line-up is ACTUALLY emitting X-amount of decibels, not more, not less. ACCURACY! I have searched the web to see if other manufacturers of in-ears care to offer such device to match their devices, or if there is even a device like it in existence, anywhere... and no. I found nothing like it. A tip of the hat to them for this helpful tool.

The Sensaphonics dB-Check is also capable of checking ambient room loudness with accuracy, and with the ability of selecting various weighing scales, like some of the more expensive dB metering products in the market. Needless to say I will be picking one up to replace my beat up Scoshe and will ask them if there is any way to calibrate the device to other in-ears or headphones that are not theirs.

What else...

oh Yes. My ears. They need serious cleaning. Everybody's ears are different, shape, size, sensitivity, moisture, amount of wax they secrete, etc. According to Heather, the doctor at Sensaphonics expo booth, my ears are pretty compacted in the very end of the ear canal (probably with help from my IEM's, which help push wax back inside). She said, that when I get them professionally cleaned by a local audiologist, I might be able to hear even better! ...Unfortunately she wasn't able to clean them for me at the show (she lacked the special tools required to extract the masses in my ear!). Her advice was to do regular cleanings with a simple cleaning kit found at a pharmacy after I have my ears looked at, and of-course, get annual hearing checks. That will make sure, that even if my in-ears are keeping some of the wax from coming out, my ears won't ever be so stuffed that it affects my hearing. One more thing to add to the calendar!

And to conclude, I got to show Expo DJ's and mess around with the brand spanking NEW set of Sensaphonics AARO in-ears (The new 3D Active Ambient in-ears!). Its fun to see people's expression when they hear the Sensaphonics difference (specially if they are used to a different brand of custom in-ear). hehe.

AARO = Active Ambient Record Out.

The new 3D's feature a 1/8" stereo output on the beltpack that you can use in a number of creative ways to enhance your listening performance on stage and/or to record the sound that the MICs on the ear pieces are receiving. Pretty cool for LIVE DJ sets which you intent to record for a mixtape or video demo. With the AARO you will have the recording of your crowd's singing, clapping, screaming and their energy when you get them hype, CO2 cannons, pyro explosions (im talking to you Tiesto, lol), and everything going around you (like surround sound!) sent into your favorite recording device in real time (I think I would use my laptop to record. No extra cost on parts, etc).
So with a tiny bit of post-mixing on your computer at home, you can start sharing your mixes with actual ambient sound extracted from your favorite night at your favorite event and put your fans RIGHT IN THE THICK OF IT.... I dig it!!!!

The new AARO version of the 3D is going to replace the standard 3D system, and the price is going to stay where it was before apparently. So, its a new, free feature for us, not an option we pay extra for. What's not to love?

Anyways. That's all I can think of for now. If I remember of other stuff I will share it here.

If you guys have questions about all this mumbo jumbo, please, feel free to send me a PM. Im always glad to help.

Bis.
DJ BIS 3:38 AM - 19 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I appreciate it. I've already ordered the Westone UM3X RCs. I got a good price on them and I need replacements fast. Initially I was looking at the Shure 535s, but I wasn't too confident in their track record. Some custom molds would be nice, but I can't spend that much right now. I just hope the Westones will last at least as long as my Ultimate Ears. One of them cracked and broke on me today.

hey Deez, this week at the DJ Expo I met with the Sensaphonics folks and got a nice lesson on normal, non-ambient in-ears and "sleeves" for non-custom in-ears from other manufacturers. If you are not looking to spend a lot and/or are happy mixing with your current IEM's but want more isolation with a custom-fit feel, a sleeve might be the way to go. Sensaphonics makes them and they are super affordable!
They also have very affordable options for NEW custom-fit Sensaphonics IEM's without the 3D option. You mentioned that yours broke? The Sensaphonics I have had for a couple of years now are made of a special silicone material that won't break, mine still function and look like new. Not only that, but they are soft to the touch, and super comfortable in your ear compared to cheaper plastic/acrylic ones.

Give them a holler if you got questions about your Westones!
DeezNotes 4:51 PM - 3 September, 2014
Thanks! I'm still rocking the Westones and they've been holding up great.
DJ BIS 9:53 PM - 3 September, 2014
Quote:
Thanks! I'm still rocking the Westones and they've been holding up great.

Good to hear it man!
DJ BIS 11:40 AM - 23 December, 2014
Hello folks, I am back with great news.
Sensaphonics has given me the opportunity to start selling this product and the rest of their awesome product line-up and accessories to fellow DJ's and musicians.

I am available for questions (please PM me or message me on Facebook.com/djbis ), I don't want to get in trouble here in the forum for selling stuff.

If I can be of service to you, by getting more information about the technology only available through this leading in-ear manufacturer, please let me know. I'll answer any questions you have about real-world use of the product and how it can change your life (yes, I said your life).
Special pricing, and holiday discounts are available.

Detailed review video coming soon!
Happy holidays guys!
Davideon 12:47 PM - 23 December, 2014
3d dj headphones?

100% pointless
DJ BIS 10:32 PM - 23 December, 2014
You are confused.
djattila 1:01 AM - 24 December, 2014
BBD... You have no idea what your talking about
DJ BIS 3:32 AM - 24 December, 2014
I think he went by the tittle and avoid the tedious task of actually reading the thread. 😕
Davideon 10:35 AM - 24 December, 2014
Quote:

So 15 years of DJing, previously being a recording studio manager, and doing a music technology degree where I did a dissertation on psychoacoustics means I don't know what I'm talking about?

Please.

The whole idea is ridiculous and flawed, and if you think it's not you must have a very basic understanding not only of how music is recorded, produced and played, but also of DJing.
Davideon 5:57 PM - 24 December, 2014
Oh. And I have experience in recording, mixing and mastering in surround sound. Still, what do I know?
Rebelguy 7:55 PM - 24 December, 2014
Yet hundreds of artists swear by them and the company received a Tec Award nomination for the product.
DJ Remy USA 7:58 PM - 24 December, 2014
Quote:
3d dj headphones?

100% pointless

You should read it bro it actually seems legit. If I could Id have me a pair.
DJ BIS 3:17 AM - 25 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

So 15 years of DJing, previously being a recording studio manager, and doing a music technology degree where I did a dissertation on psychoacoustics means I don't know what I'm talking about?

Please.

The whole idea is ridiculous and flawed, and if you think it's not you must have a very basic understanding not only of how music is recorded, produced and played, but also of DJing.

My dude, the 3D Active Ambient system has nothing to do with 3D in the traditional sense of the word. Its got nothing to do with 3-dimensional anything.
The "3D" name is derived from the fact that the microphones embedded in the ear pieces produces a natural stereo effect that allows the user to listen as if he/she did not have ear-pieces on. It all has been explained in painstaking detail in the long long discussion that you seem to have totally avoided. Why don't you try to read it so you get a better idea of what the product is about?

Ignore the "3D". "Active Ambient" are the truly relevant words here.

Merry Christmas.