DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Best place to begin digging to find good BBoy music

Dj-M.Bezzle 10:13 PM - 9 June, 2010
Im one of several DJs booked to do a big BBoy break show in a few weeks. Now before people start in with the "you shouldnt have taken the gig if you dont know what to play" the promoter isnt looking for anything special just a typical set, top 40 and breaks, but i really wanna hook up my group with something special, some REAL BBOY shit. Not lookin for a playlist just a direction of some good info to pick up the vibe on what gets bboys goin. Most of the bboys down here listen to breakbeats and i got that on lock but i wanna try and find some hiphop ect stuff.
Doctorjon 10:16 PM - 9 June, 2010
I love breakbeats. I grew up listening to nothing but oldschool breaks especiallly florida breaks. Especially trance breaks.

Try beatport.com
Doctorjon 10:18 PM - 9 June, 2010
Like a lot of dj sharaz, dj huda hudia, tony faline, dj icey, dj trashy.
Doctorjon 10:21 PM - 9 June, 2010
Some old school breakbeats would be like raheem the dream and kilo ali
ninos 10:36 PM - 9 June, 2010
Promoe - off the record
chubb rock - treat em right

bezzle, try Z-TRIP'S BBoy breaks 3 CD. some sickass tunes on there. i have it my self.
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:02 PM - 9 June, 2010
Quote:
I love breakbeats. I grew up listening to nothing but oldschool breaks especiallly florida breaks. Especially trance breaks.

Try beatport.com

Quote:

already got this stuff on lock, Fl breakbeats were my speacilty until i got my mainstream gig, all my vinyl is FL and baton rouge breaks.
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:03 PM - 9 June, 2010
Quote:
Promoe - off the record

bezzle, try Z-TRIP'S BBoy breaks 3 CD. some sickass tunes on there. i have it my self.

PERFECT,im going to hunt that tape down, it sounds like the perfect reference for what im lookin for!! THANKS!
ninos 11:18 PM - 9 June, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Promoe - off the record

PERFECT,im going to hunt that tape down, it sounds like the perfect reference for what im lookin for!! THANKS!

amazon has it for like 15$, get it from there. and no problem man.
ZESH! 11:50 PM - 9 June, 2010
"Ultimate Breaks N Beats"

Franchise has all 25 Volumes. You can't get anymore BBoy than this IMO.
You'll just have to brush-up on your Turnablism if you wanna deal with this stuff.
djaction 12:55 AM - 10 June, 2010
you shouldnt have taken the gig if you dont know what to play
DJS/R 12:59 AM - 10 June, 2010
Quote:
Doctorjon 2:27 AM - 10 June, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Lies. What Dj would seriously turn down a gig that people want Breakbeats? Tell me when is a dj not diversified in their music.
Doctorjon 2:29 AM - 10 June, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Try beatport.com

Quote:

already got this stuff on lock, Fl breakbeats were my speacilty until i got my mainstream gig, all my vinyl is FL and baton rouge breaks.

Yeah the old stuff never get old.

Check it out.

www.youtube.com

www.youtube.com
DJ Bill Blast 2:42 AM - 10 June, 2010
When I think B-Boy, this would be a MUST for me...

JVC Force - Strong Island

Watchwww.youtube.com
Doctorjon 2:45 AM - 10 June, 2010
When i think B-Boy. I think of this

Tony Faline - Mind over matter

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Sniffles 3:48 AM - 10 June, 2010
when i think of bboy i think of this

Watchwww.youtube.com

;)
DJ Sniffles 3:50 AM - 10 June, 2010
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:52 AM - 10 June, 2010
Quote:

lol pretty sure you were joking BUT just in case you werent I have plenty to play. Like i said the promoter told me to just play the stuff i normally play in my sets which is breaks and new hiphop, i just know there are alot of people here from places rich in actual BBoy culture so im trying to find some gems that i can inpress the actual bboy performers with and not just the crowd. Also to put it in perspective im only doing about a 30 minute set, its not even a whole night. I just wanna see the breakdancers really get down!!
DJ Sniffles 3:55 AM - 10 June, 2010
DJ Sniffles 3:57 AM - 10 June, 2010
We had a weekly bboy night in seattle and the djs played nothing but old breaks from actual songs. That's what was big. They didn't play Africa Bambaataa and stuff like that. Just old funky breaks
DJ Sniffles 3:58 AM - 10 June, 2010
OOOOH! You def cannot for this classic

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Sniffles 3:58 AM - 10 June, 2010
*cannot forget this classic
DJ Sniffles 4:29 AM - 10 June, 2010
Pretty much this entire tracklisting. My absolute fav b-boy battle ever. The 2002 BOTY final round.

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Greg J 4:36 AM - 10 June, 2010
30 mins?

Just get these songs and do a mini set with them:

Incredible Bongo Band - Apache
The Mohawks - The Champ
Jimmy Castor Bunch - It's Just Begun
James Brown - Give It Up Or Turn It Loose (In The Jungle Groove)

those are the 4 most important b-boy jams of all time, and they work together fairly easily.

breakbeats are all good, though the true skool b-boys don't go for Florida stuff too much, unless it's the older 92-94 Icee stuff like Tricks (not the Tricks Theme side, but the inside track on the B-side), 12345678, Come On Dance, We Do It Like This, etc. Anyway, probably lay off the trancey stuff. Hit up some older Chemical Brothers (Chemical Beats especially), and other big beat jams. Plump DJs / Finger Lickin old stuff too, The Push, Electric Disco.
Doctorjon 4:43 AM - 10 June, 2010
Lol yeah not the trancey stuff, but there are some good florida breaks from the mid and late 90s.
DJ Shameless 10:33 PM - 11 June, 2010
www.discogs.com

check some of these out
SK1 12:27 AM - 12 June, 2010
Most of them have already been covered, but this is one of my all time favorites:

Watchwww.youtube.com

then there is...

Watchwww.youtube.com

and

Watchwww.youtube.com

and

Watchwww.youtube.com

newer stuff:
Watchwww.youtube.com

and

Watchwww.youtube.com

and

Watchwww.youtube.com

and

Watchwww.youtube.com

and

Watchwww.youtube.com

and

Watchwww.youtube.com

and

Watchwww.youtube.com

and

Watchwww.youtube.com

these are songs that I always liked to get down to at the bboy jams.
Doctorjon 12:30 AM - 12 June, 2010
Lol i probably said trance breaks only because I'm asian and that was pretty much our break dancing music.
SK1 12:31 AM - 12 June, 2010
the songs I listed were songs that we danced to at bboy summit and freestyle session. I used to go to those jams year after year. I haven't been to jams since 2004.
Doctorjon 12:42 AM - 12 June, 2010
Yeah, man i miss breakdancing!
Djfrank49 1:16 AM - 12 June, 2010
Quote:

You'll just have to brush-up on your Turnablism if you wanna deal with this stuff.

+1
Djfrank49 1:21 AM - 12 June, 2010
7th wonder- daisy lady very good stuff there must play
Watchwww.youtube.com
Jeffsteez 2:43 AM - 12 June, 2010
Are your Djing the actual battles? Or just generally for the floor. If you're not doing the battles then you've got a bit more freedom and can play anything hip-hop/funk/breaks with a good strong beat. Some good recomendations already, but a lot of 'classics' that are perhaps a bit played out amongst bboys. Beware of playing stuff that you see on 'electro-breakdance' type albums... very few people like breaking to that oldschool drum machine type stuff. Funk breaks is where it's at.

If it's the battles, you've got to be a bit more selective. Watch some bboy battles on youtube and see how the DJs rock it. Good example:
Watchwww.youtube.com

The Z-Trip mixtape is ok. You'd be better going to bboyworld.com forum checking some of the mixtapes posted to get an idea of what bboys are currently practicing to.
Doctorjon 3:16 AM - 12 June, 2010
Good stuff! having seen some breaking in awhile.
DJ Sniffles 3:50 AM - 12 June, 2010
You can't mess with Korea man. I remember in Ilsan where a lot of them practice was nuts at the outdoor mall.

When my girl and I ran our guesthouse for korean visitors in NY, one of the dudes from Rivers crew stayed with us. Took dude to Union Square, boy freakin rocked it and had other people coming to battle him. Shit was dope!
fresher 9:18 AM - 12 June, 2010
Haven't been on this forum in so long but to come back and read this as the first post is awesome! @DJ Sniffles @SK1, y'all named all the bboy jams!
SK1 8:21 PM - 12 June, 2010
I still bboy from time, but don't really have a place to practice. If I get a place to practice... then it's on. I still have my windmills, 90's, swipes, turtles, crickets... just not as clean as before.

I remember going to the jams thinking... Crazy Legs is in his 30's still throwing down, I want to do that. Well I'm hitting 30 at the end of July, and I think I can still get down.
ninos 2:55 AM - 13 June, 2010
thanks alot for this thread guys, got tons of new toons.
GoodVibez 12:14 PM - 13 June, 2010
Quote:

DJ TOGTFO 3:31 PM - 13 June, 2010
bezzle, stay in your lane. You arent advanced enough to rock a bboy jam. A Lot of the shit Sniffles posted is classic BBoy shit tho. Just remember BBoys/BGirls are assholes for the most part, so if you don't come correct they will let you know it. You fuck up, they will remember you forever as being whack. On the flipside, you murder that shit with ill shit, they will love you forever. Don't think songs, think about the "breaks".

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ TOGTFO 3:46 PM - 13 June, 2010
And please don't use the term "digging" in reference to MP3s
nonplus 5:18 PM - 13 June, 2010
www.guitarcenter.com

this is good... have the cd and want doubles of the vinyl set...
CMOS 1:14 AM - 14 June, 2010
My Favs:

DJ Hurricane - 70s in the Cut

Stetsasonic - Talkin' All That Jazz (Dominoes Instrumental Remix)
SK1 6:53 AM - 14 June, 2010
Some of the best advice yet...

Quote:
Don't think songs, think about the "breaks".
DeezNotes 6:21 PM - 14 June, 2010
I would love to watch this event go down live.
jprime 7:10 PM - 14 June, 2010
Hayz - Triggaphunk

Such a choooon.
elusivesf555 7:52 PM - 14 June, 2010
as a dj and a bboy currently in the scene i think i'd be a good source for some info on this...

if you've never played at a bboy jam and you dont know what to play, everyones right. you probably shouldnt have accepted it. but i dont think its too late to save yourself... REAL bboys get hype on the breaks of songs looped to create a stream of drumbreaks.. like as said above 'incredible bongo band - apache' is a bboy classic.and probably one of the most well known breaks among bboys.. the song is characterized by energetic rhythm, bongo, horns, fast tempo. this is what bboys can groove to..... not trance or breakbeat genres and DEFINATELY not top 40. the bboys will probably look up at you and wonder how the'yre supposed to dance to that shit. the less 'electronic' the better. THINK JAMES BROWN. james brown was the godfather of soul [RIP] and tracks like, 'sex machine' and 'give it up or turn it loose' will instantly get bboys in the cypher... just keep the tempo high, around 120BPM or a little higher... but not too fast to where its impossible to rock to. of course there are tracks that sound hype at lower tempos but , you get the idea...

to whoever said bboys are assholes... well yeah when it comes to our music WE ARE. how are we supposed to get the feeling inside us to BREAK when the song makes us want to go grab a girl and get on the dancefloor???? theres a time and a place for every genre, but top 40 in a bboy battle is a DEFINATE NO. yeah, the promoter might want you to play that, but if you really want the bboys to GET DOWN play some stuff like this....

tuff crew - soul food
soul searchers - blow your whistle
the jimmy castor bunch - its just begun <---another bboy classic
budos band - up from the south
brownout - homenaje

let me stress this again.. no top 40. please. for the love of god.

you could also take another approach (which might be more suitabe in this situation) since it sounds like you play hiphop and the promoter wants you to play what you would normally play... go the hiphop route, or do a mix of both... but be careful what you play.. try to take from the golden era of hip hop or before.. tracks like...

Run dmc - beats to the rhyme
big daddy kane - the wrath of kane
eric b and rakim - dont sweat the technique (a little played out but still useable)
nas - made you look <---speed this up and its guaranteed HYPE
mc serch - back to the grill

the main feeling your going for is RAW. we can go off on this.

hopefully this helped you....and whoever really, to get a feel of the vibe to go for. as a bboy that has seen many djs play what they THINK is good to break to, i'll GLADLY give up all this info for the enjoyment of the bboys that will be breaking at the spot your playing at. peace to you and hope it turns out FRESH! let me know if you have any more questions, i'd be glad to answer them.
dj_soo 8:58 PM - 14 June, 2010
jump onto itunes and search for "ultimate beats and breaks"

should be all you need for a real bboy comp.
Mr. Cheese 71nyc 1:59 AM - 15 June, 2010
This should be a staple in Every Dj's crate, MBezzle I'ld look at the 80's stuff Melly Mell, Furious Five up to Run DMC, Whodini, Beastie Boys. I'm sure you have the UBB collection already www.ultimatebreaksandbeats.com
DJ Greg J 5:34 PM - 15 June, 2010
Quote:
Are your Djing the actual battles? Or just generally for the floor. If you're not doing the battles then you've got a bit more freedom and can play anything hip-hop/funk/breaks with a good strong beat. Some good recomendations already, but a lot of 'classics' that are perhaps a bit played out amongst bboys. Beware of playing stuff that you see on 'electro-breakdance' type albums... very few people like breaking to that oldschool drum machine type stuff. Funk breaks is where it's at.

If it's the battles, you've got to be a bit more selective. Watch some bboy battles on youtube and see how the DJs rock it. Good example:
Watchwww.youtube.com

The Z-Trip mixtape is ok. You'd be better going to bboyworld.com forum checking some of the mixtapes posted to get an idea of what bboys are currently practicing to.

WOW! that video was BADASS, b-boying has come really far! thanks for posting
typerel 5:56 PM - 15 June, 2010
Quote:
soul searchers - blow your whistle

Didn't know this was a b-boy tune, but I can definitely see some serious uprocking to this
Watchwww.youtube.com
djdaze1 9:16 PM - 15 June, 2010
The Dix - Here Come The Dix
Watchwww.youtube.com

Head Automatica - Brooklyn is Burning
Watchwww.youtube.com

Can - Vitamin C
Watchwww.youtube.com
Jeffsteez 11:05 PM - 15 June, 2010
Soul searchers - blow your whistle is more of a locking tune imo... but I've heard it played plenty of times at bboy jams.
dj metal 1:21 AM - 18 June, 2010
Quote:
30 mins?

Just get these songs and do a mini set with them:

Incredible Bongo Band - Apache
The Mohawks - The Champ
Jimmy Castor Bunch - It's Just Begun
James Brown - Give It Up Or Turn It Loose (In The Jungle Groove)

those are the 4 most important b-boy jams of all time, and they work together fairly easily.

breakbeats are all good, though the true skool b-boys don't go for Florida stuff too much, unless it's the older 92-94 Icee stuff like Tricks (not the Tricks Theme side, but the inside track on the B-side), 12345678, Come On Dance, We Do It Like This, etc. Anyway, probably lay off the trancey stuff. Hit up some older Chemical Brothers (Chemical Beats especially), and other big beat jams. Plump DJs / Finger Lickin old stuff too, The Push, Electric Disco.

The truth! Those tracks are staples, you could run those all day!!! Don't forget "the Mexican" by Babe Ruth. Word Up!
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:58 PM - 24 June, 2010
Update on this, It was pretty much what i expected, i was def the right DJ for the job. Showed up at 4 and played till 7 (was supposed to close between 5 and 6 but it was stil jumping), I didnt play any top 40 just classic flordia and funky breaks, pretty much the same stuff doctorjon was talking about, alot of sharaz infiniti trashy 303 3BB malicious mike, stuff like that, the breakers loved it (the breakers around here are disserent from other areas i guess cause i always see them dancing to high energy tracks) and i had a BLAST doin the set because thats the kind of music i came into the game spinning and its been a while since i could just let loose with some breaks.

l sadly wasnt able to take any advice from the thread (except Doctorjon wrote) but thanks for all the suggestions, im still going to look into all of these and try to develop an arsonal for this area cause it may come in handy, i always love looking into new genres !! THANKS GUYS!!
DJ Tecniq 8:48 PM - 30 June, 2010
Drop these on em! Watchem break.

Biochip C - Go Bang (Jackal & Hyde Remix)
Watchwww.youtube.com

DJ Infiniti - Children Of The 80's
Watchwww.youtube.com

DJ Infiniti - Looking For Something
Watchwww.youtube.com

DJ Infiniti - Science Fiction
Watchwww.youtube.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:49 PM - 30 June, 2010
those are already in my arsenel, i acutually have all those on vinyl
DJ Tecniq 8:54 PM - 30 June, 2010
Quote:
those are already in my arsenel, i acutually have all those on vinyl
me too :) i first started out spinnin breaks. I remember shopping @ painted puppy where rick west worked and getting signed copies of all his vinyls. he really helped me find those hard to find breakbeat classics & is a super nice dude and sick dj/producer. props to you m bezzle for your knowledge of breaks!
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:58 PM - 30 June, 2010
Ya ive talked to rick a few times when ordering vinyl from painted puppy, SUPER COOL GUY!!!! Ya breaks is what got me into spinning and its all i spun for the 1st 3 years of my career (listened to them looong before that even lol). Kinda backed off them though beause the qualitys going down. There are a few good producers putting out good stuff but the qualitys not where it was. You really have to dig for the good stuff.
Doctorjon 10:32 PM - 30 June, 2010
Wow so you played florida breaks and it turned out great?
DJ TOGTFO 11:54 PM - 30 June, 2010
Most bboys I know would be pissed if thy were forced to dance to that shit. Maybe the poppers would like it tho
djdalite 12:31 AM - 1 July, 2010
check out this cd: DJ Def Cut - Keep It Raw 2009

the whole cd has dope breaks and a tight remix of that Soul Searchers - blow your whistle
djdalite 12:34 AM - 1 July, 2010
speaking of breaks

there used to be this dope remix of Stevie Nicks - White Wing Dove - have no idea who remixed it - heard it off a mixtape from DJ Gerry Lebarge and he had it on a whitelabel i think
djdalite 12:43 AM - 1 July, 2010
sorry, correction - the song i think was white wing dove (its was remix of edge of 17 by stevie nicks)
djdalite 12:54 AM - 1 July, 2010
i may have found it: Watchwww.youtube.com
Doctorjon 12:56 AM - 1 July, 2010
Quote:

Thats a badd remix. Check this one

Watchwww.youtube.com
Dj BuddyLove 4:22 AM - 1 July, 2010
Quote:
When I think B-Boy, this would be a MUST for me...

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:27 PM - 1 July, 2010
Quote:
Most bboys I know would be pissed if thy were forced to dance to that shit. Maybe the poppers would like it tho

Hmmmm must be a southern al\Fl\La thing cause thats all i see breakdancers dancing too down here lol. You cant play a track like "lights" without the floor forming a circle and 2 guys tryna break battle each other. I thought it was like that in the ATL too because everytime Kontrol and kiddstar come down here they bring some bboys with em and those are always high energy\high bpm shows
dj_soo 5:35 PM - 1 July, 2010
i think it may be a bit of a new school/old school thing.

I've known bboys who get pissed unless they hear the classics, but at the same time, i knew bboys who would break to edm breaks and dnb...
FunkyRob 10:18 PM - 30 July, 2010
how is it that "breakbeat" can mean to completely different types of music?
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:21 PM - 30 July, 2010
Quote:
how is it that "breakbeat" can mean to completely different types of music?

lol you know ive wandered the same thing
DJ Tecniq 2:44 AM - 25 October, 2010
Quote:
got that vinyl sick track! quality on the vinyl is absolutely terrible, the flipside had a breaks rmx of daft punk's one more time. very rare record ive worn the shit out of it.
DJ Tecniq 2:46 AM - 25 October, 2010
If im correct it's dj ill-versed who produced it and i think he's outta dallas, not florida his label was called 315 experience or something like that.