Websites Discussion

Talk about our websites Serato.com and Whitelabel.net
To talk about a Serato product such as Scratch Live or ITCH please find the appropriate forum area.

320kb or 32 kb

severin 6:30 PM - 30 December, 2006
i have the problem, that the tracks apears only in 32kb quality.(in i tunes)
and there is no import from itunes to sertato.
greetz
dj cubicle 8:34 PM - 30 December, 2006
the only place they show up as 320 is within serato running v1.6.3.
nik39 10:06 PM - 30 December, 2006
Quote:
i have the problem, that the tracks apears only in 32kb quality.(in i tunes)

Thats how it is.

They will sound like crap in any application except for Scratch LIVE, and even then, you must make sure that you are using at least Scratch LIVE version 1.6.3!
Robert Tompkins 9:42 PM - 2 January, 2007
Nik, Yeah, I was wondering about that question- are they 32 bit or 320 as shown in Serato 1.63? They seem to sound OK either way Itunes or Serato on my small system at home where I downloaded them- but this music is already compressed to the max and the cd's usually sound about the same. So what is it 32 or 320 ?
Daim 11:21 PM - 2 January, 2007
both
dj cubicle 12:00 AM - 3 January, 2007
i'm a firm believer that at some point in time, a "read the f'in FAQ" is in order.

that time is now.
Serato, Support
Matt G 8:50 AM - 3 January, 2007
Robert, the tracks have two parts inside them. One part is 32kbit mono, which plays in iTunes and any other mp3 player. The second part is 320kbit and plays only in Scratch LIVE (version 1.6.3 and above).
Res-Q 6:01 PM - 3 January, 2007
Matt, what if I want to use an instrumental to make a remix in Acid Pro, will the instrumental be low-fi?
If so, we'll only be able to do live remix in the club, which is cool, but I would have loved to use one of the instrumentals I got from here to make a dope remix on Acid.
Talrinys 6:59 PM - 3 January, 2007
In that case, play that part on your turntable and record it into Acid Pro, that'll also allow you to throw effects, EQ, and other stuff on it immediately. Or just do the live remix and record the stuff? Even a crappy integrated sound card can do that in acceptable quality, and if not you can get 24-bit/192khz sound cards for cheap these days.
dj cubicle 7:32 PM - 3 January, 2007
Not exactly sure that would be smiled upon...
dj topspin 6:17 AM - 5 January, 2007
Matt,

You guys @ RANE need to upload the music you're providing so that iTunes users can deal with 320 kbps files just like those who use SERATO 'CRATES'. You offer the choice between the 2 to the user, so you should provide the user with the same luxuries. Why is that so difficult to do? Also, who in their right mind would play anything @ 32 kbps publicly? Streaming online audio & sample sound clips @ online music retailers have even higher bit rates. Who chose 32 as the iTunes option anyway? This makes NO sense to me...

DJ TOPSPIN - Seattle, WA
HEAVY ROTATIONS ENT.
www.topsyte.com
www.myspace.com
Serato, Forum Moderator
Steve W 7:50 AM - 5 January, 2007
Hi topspin,

Could you explain the problem you're experiencing? All whitelabel tracks play at high quality in Scratch LIVE 1.6.3 or newer, irrespective of whether you use iTunes playlists or Scratch LIVE crates to organize them.
boy2k 3:39 PM - 6 January, 2007
DJ Topspin doesnt understand that they arent offering an itunes solution. They are only ofering a serato option for 320kbs only and if you dont use serato then it forces playback to 32kbs. The reason for this is to stop people using the mp3s for personal use.
Killbill 2:29 PM - 7 January, 2007
Quote:
DJ Topspin doesnt understand that they arent offering an itunes solution. They are only ofering a serato option for 320kbs only and if you dont use serato then it forces playback to 32kbs. The reason for this is to stop people using the mp3s for personal use.

Yeah, but why, other services like digiwaxx give high quality files regardless. Why not white label, what's soooo wrong with that.
DJ BIS 1:19 AM - 8 January, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, but why, other services like digiwaxx give high quality files regardless. Why not white label, what's soooo wrong with that.

Then you should get the files from digiwaxx!...

Serato is trying to work with a file protection system which will be smiled upon by record companies and many others. They have their reasons, I guess... I doubt that anybody will change their mind... hehe.
Killbill 5:16 AM - 8 January, 2007
Yeah, I guess. Besides, other services have newer ish.
Daim 2:33 PM - 8 January, 2007
Quote:
Yeah, I guess. Besides, other services have newer ish.

other services are running for years.. this is still a beta
Talrinys 3:59 PM - 8 January, 2007
Haha sure they do killbill, digiwaxx has at most 15 releases each week, with crappy quality compared to this, that'd sound like shit on any soundsystem i'm playing with, and they are not tagged properly, their descriptions are in all capital letters, and it's just a generally unprofessional site.
Killbill 5:15 PM - 8 January, 2007
Quote:
Haha sure they do killbill, digiwaxx has at most 15 releases each week, with crappy quality compared to this, that'd sound like shit on any soundsystem i'm playing with, and they are not tagged properly, their descriptions are in all capital letters, and it's just a generally unprofessional site.

Good for you.
DJ LIL' JOHN 5:40 PM - 12 January, 2007
"...so that iTunes users can deal with 320 kbps files just like those who use SERATO 'CRATES'...."

Taking what TopSpin said into a slightly different direction, I have ALWAYS used Serato with the "read iTunes library" setting, it keeps my countless mp3 files well organized AND updated.

So, I guess I need to create at least one Serato "crate" just for my WhiteLabel.net files... :-(

Let's see what the future holds, WhiteLabel.net is the bizness, even in beta form!
Serato, Support
Matt G 10:17 PM - 12 January, 2007
DJ LIL' JOHN, you don't need to change anything you're doing. You can still organise all your music in iTunes, including Whitelabel.net tracks. They will only play as 32kbit in iTunes, but when you load your iTunes library in Scratch LIVE they will play as 320kbit.

No need to change anything or start using SSL crates. It's business as usual. The problem TopSpin is describing is something else, and possibly a misunderstanding.
eltoronyc 6:40 PM - 16 January, 2007
Ok, 1st off I think is a brilliant idea, and give props to the serato team for implimenting it. I also understand that there are probably a ton of legality and licencing issues with having the mp3s in good quality in any other programs other than serato. The thing is, all this commercial ish is easy to find using a file sharing program like acquisition, limewire, etc... so why would anyone bother with a file that doesn't play in itunes or anywhere else other than serato. My only thing is that the labels should look at this site as a huge promotional tool for their artists, and therefore have no problem offering the songs unlocked. (especially since they are so readily available on all these p2p programs.) I as well as I'm sure many other people organize their songs in itunes, and listen to them while I do so...even a well produced catchy song sounds worse in 32 mono in comparison to badly produced song in 320 stereo. I think it is highly possible to convince the lables to offer higher quality unlocked downloads since this is a site strictly for working dj's...and let's face it, now days if not soon the majority of the dj's in the world are using serato... Just a thought...
dj disturbed 10:30 PM - 16 January, 2007
Quote:
Ok, 1st off I think is a brilliant idea, and give props to the serato team for implimenting it. I also understand that there are probably a ton of legality and licencing issues with having the mp3s in good quality in any other programs other than serato. The thing is, all this commercial ish is easy to find using a file sharing program like acquisition, limewire, etc...

b/c thats not legal!!!!!! Serato is giving us a legal venue for getting these files that we dont have to worry about the RIAA mafia wont take us to court for downloading!
DJ Skrilla 11:29 PM - 16 January, 2007
I agree that most people on here (DJs) are not here to bootleg the tunes. Being able to listen to it besides spinning on your turntable IS IMPORTANT. Interscope sends out TONS of promos that suck.... I think you should be able to access them at least at 192kbps outside of SSL (version 1.6.3). I get emails from my friend who runs a pool and they always send out 192 quality of instrumental, acapella, etc... (just got the new mike jones - "mr jones") I dont understand why they are worried about us distributing them, since if anyone wanted to they could just record the track using SSL and upload it to p2p. DJs dont care about that. Seems proprietary so RANE can make sure what software and what version you are using. 11 megs for 1 mp3 is too big IMO. Plenty of other ways to get this same music....
messrocka 9:49 PM - 17 January, 2007
Quote:
I agree that most people on here (DJs) are not here to bootleg the tunes. Being able to listen to it besides spinning on your turntable IS IMPORTANT. Interscope sends out TONS of promos that suck.... I think you should be able to access them at least at 192kbps outside of SSL (version 1.6.3). I get emails from my friend who runs a pool and they always send out 192 quality of instrumental, acapella, etc... (just got the new mike jones - "mr jones") I dont understand why they are worried about us distributing them, since if anyone wanted to they could just record the track using SSL and upload it to p2p. DJs dont care about that. Seems proprietary so RANE can make sure what software and what version you are using. 11 megs for 1 mp3 is too big IMO. Plenty of other ways to get this same music....

How do you know everyone on here is a DJ? All you gotta do is sign up for a scratchlive.net or whitelabel.net forum account and boom, you got access to the downloads.

You can listen to them without 'spinning on your turntable" through SSL's Internal mode. Regardless, PREVIEW IT ON THE SITE before downloading it! Even at low quality you can tell gold from mold.

If you're complaining that it's low quality outside of SSL, but high quality outside of SSL if you DL from a P2P, then you know what, stop your belly aching and do it the ski mask way. Serato and Rane have provided you WITH A FREE SERVICE to LEGALLY get tracks in advance. In the last 15 years, any time I wanted some advance business to play at the club or for a gig I had to belong to a record pool. Record pools cost money and you don't get to pick and choose which tracks you get for your money. You get your bag every week, sometimes it would be full of garbage, sometimes it would all be good, but no matter what you still paid for it.

If they released 192 versions for every tune that would play outside of SSL, to the general public (none of you had to verify club residencies or gigs, right?), NO LABEL IN THEIR RIGHT BUSINESS MIND WOULD SUPPLY MUSIC.

It has nothing to do with them trying to track what software version you're using, it has to do with them getting labels (MAJOR labels, at that) to provide free pre-release content to an unverified user base.

Y'all megas are pretty thick skulled if you can't figure that one out.
djmel 7:46 AM - 19 January, 2007
i would like to know why in the hell do yall use itunes??? tht $#!t is awful. i hate i tunes it always fuck up my serato music box i have and just put everything out of context. i use db power sveta apple an the shit works wonder and is way faster then itunes and wont mess up your mp3 at all.
DJ BIS 5:40 PM - 20 January, 2007
Its like everything man, some people who do work it right actually get a benefit out of it. I know I do. Until Serato comes out with its own music management app iTunes will be at the center of my music database operation for logical reasons.
djmel 6:02 AM - 23 January, 2007
use db power amp an then tell me what u think of itunes aka iruins
erockerik 7:27 PM - 26 January, 2007
yeah, while i understand this from a business perpective, it is still kinda lame from a creative perspective. Please, at least let the accapella and instrumental versions be accessible as 320 outside of SSL, so you aren't forced to do all your mashups/blends on the fly or through the bootleg methods mentioned above.

basically, the whole "the labels want us to do it that way" rhetoric is bull. RANE/Scratch has set up this system so you are FORCED to use their product to make use of the files they provide you. They don't want to give out files to heads that are just going to use them with some other DJ system. This is understandable since they are providing the whitelabel service for free, but don't let them trick you into thinking that they are just obeying the label's demands. They are running a business here folks.

Aside from my request above, I think a great solution to this whole thing would be to make the whitelabel service exclusive to people who have actually purchased SSL (via product registration or unlock codes), and maybe then we can all live in peace.

rollit, lightit, smokeit...

e
Serato
Jeff D 10:11 PM - 26 January, 2007
E.... there is no trick to it. If the labels don't approve of the DRM they simply won't give clearance and none of their music gets on. Getting the "OK" from a promo rep at a label is still not official clearance.
sojourn 1:54 AM - 27 January, 2007
@ erockerik:

Even if your conspiracy theory were true, how do you justify product registration or unlock codes being more secure than current DRM as a deterent?

What label(s) have you talked to that would support what you suggest to be "rhetoric"?

Who's "FORCING" you to use whitelabel's FREE tracks again? Who's supplying those FREE tracks again? What part of SSL prevents you from using purchased MP3s again?

What Jeff D stated: "If the labels don't approve of the DRM they simply won't give clearance and none of thier music gets on." ...is a fact, no matter how you "feel" or "interpret" the intentions of the company called Serato. Ask any artist or label-head and they'll tell you that in very simple language; and as well they'll probably have a thing or two to impart about the "creative perspective" and how they'd like to protect it any way they can. Anyone who thinks Rane/Serato is doing this on their own in this industry, or "for themselves" should take a step back re-analyze a couple things.

Like it or not, Rane/Serato has set an industry standard with thier product(s). And like the shape of it or not, historically those at the front of the pack have always defined the line of things to come. Was Pioneer trying to corner a market with the Technics series in the 70s? You bet. Did anyone complain about their products? Probably, but they aren't saying anything today. How bout Bozak? How bout Urei?

I say: Rather than bash the hand that feeds us, why not encourage the good behavior as a company Rane/Serato demonstrates: namely direct, constant receptive contact with the end user, subsequently resulting in products that we are able to use as if they were customized directly for us.

I'm no ass-kiss for the front-runners of the industry, and that includes Rane/Serato; I do my research and it takes alot to bring me around. But very rarely do end-users have an oportunity to shape their own end-products like they do with these guys; and I'm not going to dis heaven when it's in my hands.

/end opinion
Serato, Support
Matt G 8:49 PM - 27 January, 2007
What Jeff D says is true. His knowledge is first hand because he's at all those meetings with the majors.

This line bears repeating:
Quote:
If the labels don't approve of the DRM they simply won't give clearance and none of their music gets on.

We are doing our best to please both the labels and the DJs. That means compromise.
Chrisssss 10:48 PM - 27 January, 2007
I'm sorry, i dont wanna say something against someone, but what you guys are trying seems very stupid to me.

Rane developed an audio-format that makes it possible to use the audio-files only in tha DJ-applcation (for promotional purposes). So some labels agreed to offer their songs bofre release for the DJs FOR FREE. Because they can be shure that the promos they hand out will not land on filesharing services, on private MP3 players... for free and before release.

What you guys are trying is to break the system. Accordingly, those recordlabels wouldnt give anymore records to whitelabel and to you.

So what you are trying is to interrupt getting free records to play and for others too.

I hope you recognize the purpose of this service.

Best wishes
Chris
DJ Juan G 2:35 PM - 3 February, 2007
Serato is doing a great job in protecting these files. Labels will feel more comfortable when knowing that there file is protected, ...more exclusives for SERATO USERS ONLY....
Dj Jd Movements 3:42 AM - 11 September, 2013
i need a activation code for serato dj 1.3
Serato, Forum Moderator
Eru G 10:33 PM - 11 September, 2013
Quote:
i need a activation code for serato dj 1.3

Hi Dj Jd Movements,

You can purcahse a Serato DJ license from our store or from within the app.

Here's a link: store.serato.com
demotricus 10:02 PM - 13 September, 2013
I get the thing about only letting serato software use the 320kb files , but just can`t for the life of me think of any earthly use for 32kb files apart from scaring cats away, -whats the point of releasing the 32kb files at all? - no-ones going to listen to them lol!
Just release the 320kb files locked into serato FFS.
demotricus 11:58 PM - 13 September, 2013
Actually - I`ve just answered my own question, - the ONLY way I can hear these releases are through the 32kb files -reason? - because I`ve got a large (DJ sized) itunes library, run the windows version of serato and as soon as I enable itunes in serato, - the program crashes. - A known fault - Serato DJ just does not work with big itunes librarys.
So I can import them into itunes and listen to them as 32kb files but CAN NOT import and play them in serato because of this fault.
AlxRyde 3:05 AM - 7 October, 2013
Aah, I do not have any strict playlist management software on my computer at all besides Serato (No iTunes, WMP, Zune, Foobar, nothing), it seems to be working for me. I wanted to say that I've found the 32kbps version useful for preparation though (when I'm off the mixer, on the go); as bad as the compression is, I can still figure out where I need to be setting my cue points and loops for optimal playback. Translates directly over to great sound on the mixer when I have it hooked up.
demotricus 3:16 AM - 7 October, 2013
Thats how I`m using it now - without itunes, - 2 screens serato and explorer - drag and drop -- simples...
The Despicable Nyan Cat 3:03 PM - 28 December, 2013
You're getting decent music for FREE, y'all be happy!
The Despicable Nyan Cat 3:05 PM - 28 December, 2013
Quote:
I'm sorry, i dont wanna say something against someone, but what you guys are trying seems very stupid to me.

Rane developed an audio-format that makes it possible to use the audio-files only in tha DJ-applcation (for promotional purposes). So some labels agreed to offer their songs bofre release for the DJs FOR FREE. Because they can be shure that the promos they hand out will not land on filesharing services, on private MP3 players... for free and before release.

What you guys are trying is to break the system. Accordingly, those recordlabels wouldnt give anymore records to whitelabel and to you.

So what you are trying is to interrupt getting free records to play and for others too.

I hope you recognize the purpose of this service.

Best wishes
Chris

Totally agree w. you.
Adam McGregor 3:08 PM - 13 February, 2014
OMG it was to beautiful to be true! Free whitelabels and playable with serato...and what I´ve got is terrible! I know that these tunes have 32kbps in iTunes but please don´t tell me they have 320kbps in Serato because this is a totally bulls***! Serato show that, they may have 320 but they haven´t! If you compress Data down to 32kpbs you automatically loose quality. Its sounds crap! So if serato try to boost this to 320 what happens?! It boost it up to even more crap! If one track is playing you can hear this cracky-wacky sound on hi-hats or bass drum... if you don't believe me compere it with track from iTunes store.

I´m very disappointed! I´ve canceled all these tracks.
nik39 3:49 PM - 13 February, 2014
Lol, but they *have* 320kbps in SL/Itch/SDJ. It's true!
The Despicable Nyan Cat 4:46 PM - 13 February, 2014
Quote:
OMG it was to beautiful to be true! Free whitelabels and playable with serato...and what I´ve got is terrible! I know that these tunes have 32kbps in iTunes but please don´t tell me they have 320kbps in Serato because this is a totally bulls***! Serato show that, they may have 320 but they haven´t! If you compress Data down to 32kpbs you automatically loose quality. Its sounds crap! So if serato try to boost this to 320 what happens?! It boost it up to even more crap! If one track is playing you can hear this cracky-wacky sound on hi-hats or bass drum... if you don't believe me compere it with track from iTunes store.

I´m very disappointed! I´ve canceled all these tracks.

Do you have a early version of SL, or Itch?
nik39 5:08 PM - 13 February, 2014
I think he means that it is technically not possible to compress down to 32kbps, then "blow up" to 320kbps and restoring the original audio.

That's not what the software does.
Adam McGregor 9:49 PM - 14 February, 2014
I got SDJ 1.6.0.

@ nik39 but it´s exact what the DRM do. I´ve tried a whole bunch of tracks. Listened them on headphones first then on speakers and even two other people have said the same... something sound very very strange with these tunes! And I think everyone with even not trained ears can recognize that the quality not come up to 96 kbps. You can hear what I mean f.e in some quiet passages.

Sorry for my bad english... :)
nik39 10:37 PM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
it´s exact what the DRM do

It's not what Serato does. If you think that these track sound like 96kbps where they should sound like 320kbps or 32kbps something is wrong. It's not how it should be.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Eru G 7:16 AM - 15 February, 2014
Hi Adam,

Serato DJ will only unlock the 320kbps version of Whitelabel tracks when you have your hardware device plugged in.

Please make sure you have your hardware plugged in and then let me know if that fixes your issue.

Cheers,
Eru
Adam McGregor 6:14 PM - 15 February, 2014
Hi guys thank you for your response.

In truth I´ve tried it in Serato without plug the Pioneer device. But anyway I will try it soon...

I´m very excited about the results ;)

Cheers
DJ TMX 10:20 AM - 21 February, 2014
I agree with what some of the people are saying. The tracks sound good here when you listen to them and i put them back to back with other 320kb in the club they sound bad like i am playing a cheap version of it. I can make the difference very well, like they don't have any depth. My set up Serato and Rane 62 so technically they should be good but.... not so much.