DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Touch OSC + MacBook + iPhone = midi control for SL

DJ Pimp 10:00 PM - 26 May, 2010
I purchased the damn thing, but..
I can't find Serato Scratch template and I have no success in midi mapping the thing.
Any help is appreciated..

1. does anyone have a template to share for iPhone?
2. how can I midi map the buttons? What is the catch?

Thanks
DJ Pimp 1:30 AM - 28 May, 2010
Does anyone have a Touch OSC template to share for iPhone?
VJ Justin Allen 1:33 AM - 28 May, 2010
Have you downloaded Osculator yet? You need that in order to use TouchOSC.

I have actually been working on this for the last few days with my iPad...it rocks but I need more time than I have right now to make the layout the way I want it.
DJ Pimp 1:39 AM - 28 May, 2010
Yes I have the Osculator as well. I manage to work it and to map it a little bit (the Simple template).
Before that I tried to make my own template, but for some reason I can make template in Touch OSC, but I need also parallel file in Osculator for right communication.
VJ Justin Allen 1:57 AM - 28 May, 2010
OK, start with your own template.

The set-up is really simple as long as you realize what each program is doing. TouchOSC is the front end. You can make cool buttons and layouts with that. It "talks" to Osculator over your network (make sure you select it).

Go to TouchOSC and touch the button/slider/knob and it should show up in Osculator. You then select the midi type under the "Event Type" column and then you select a midi number (they must be unique) under the "value" column. Keep the channel at 1.

Then select midi in ScratchLive and highlight the control you want to map, move over to TouchOSC on your iPad (or iPhone/iTouch) and touch it. That should map it.

Hope this helps.
DJ Pimp 2:09 AM - 28 May, 2010
Yes it's very helpful, only I didn't make a full template, I was just messing around, and realized that Osculator needs a parallel file in order to run correctly.
I pray that someone comes trough with finished template so I don't have to waste my time :)
Hopefully will not be forced doinit myself, but if I will have to this will be very helpful.
Thank you Justin Allen
VJ Justin Allen 2:13 AM - 28 May, 2010
No problem. Like I said, I am just starting out with it as well...however being able to jump to multiple pages that control video effects, audio effects, whatever is very very cool.

Having a hardware device that you can change in a few minutes to take advantage of a new software release is going to rock.
spirez 1:17 AM - 1 June, 2010
I just got this, seems real cool.

Does anybody have an iphone/ipod template they'd be willing to share?

Creativity's not by strongest point when it comes to designing layouts etc!

Makes me really want an iPad now...
BERTO 3:15 AM - 1 June, 2010
i wish my iphone wifi worked.....
A10 10:37 PM - 2 June, 2010
Just got this running, if I get some time I'll post a simple template for the iphone.
DJ Pimp 10:37 PM - 2 June, 2010
Tnx A10
A10 6:56 AM - 3 June, 2010
now all I need to do is dry my iphone out.....Just woke up and found it fell into a mug of tea :(

Time to dry!!
VJ Justin Allen 9:53 AM - 3 June, 2010
Put it in a jar of white rice for 24 hours
Dj dOoOb_edstreme 4:25 PM - 2 July, 2010
template please....
nitetone 4:29 PM - 2 August, 2010
therapup.net

been working on this for a bit :)
paulhannon 1:33 AM - 30 September, 2010
Could anyone tell me using simple english, how the hell you get this app to work!!!!!!???
peds 4:50 AM - 30 September, 2010
this is on a mac not pc, i dont know if its differant on pc .ok .have you made a network between your iphone and pc/mac first? the host on your iphone should be the same name as your network ie.. settings/ wifi/ choose other... make a name. ie 'peddles'
for starters on iphone use a pre map on osc ( mix 2 example) just to get the hang of it ok. have you downloaded osculator open it up, top left corner is the osc input port (8000) make sure thats the same on osc on iphone then on the top right corner in osculator reads( parameters) click open then open (osc routes), at the bottom is default host ( no selection) click arrows to find nearby host, 'peddles'. back to iphone on osc where it says network tap arrow it should say found host, (should be your named network 'peddles'. and below should say port (outgoing) =(8000) once these are running parallel tap done. have osculator open and it will read your movement on the touch osc. once you've tapped all toggles/ sliders etc then leave osculator running in back ground open serato/ midi , and map away.

i suggest learn this first so you understand before creating new maps, its a little bit more complicated best of luck.
peds 4:53 AM - 30 September, 2010
just looked at your profile paul hannon see you got a mac you'll be fine
peds 5:01 AM - 30 September, 2010
oh and by the way, if you dont register (buy) osculator it stops running after about 15 minutes asking you to register it then comes back on
paulhannon 1:44 PM - 30 September, 2010
Thank you peds, that's a big help. have it working now thanks to you.
DJ FlowJay 4:34 PM - 28 October, 2010
for a template holla at me(but it´s iphone 4)
Craig Dalzell 10:51 PM - 15 November, 2010
Hi peds just seen this discussion,i'm in the same situation i have a Mac & trying to run TouchOSC of my iPhone4 and needing a bit of help working this app.

I'd already bought OSCulater and had ports etc. synced between Mac & iPhone i.e found host Craig Dalzell:8000 (OSCulator)

Took your advice and decided to give it a go with the Mix 2 layout,OSCulator is picking up all buttons,sliders etc. triggered from iPhone but when i try to MIDI map in Serato nothing is happening

Any ideas
peds 10:49 PM - 16 November, 2010
hi craig, i haven't used it for a while now.(using x1). so i've just run it to see what you might have missed out and its doing the same thing (not picking up midi signal in serato).

i'm running 2.1.1 now so i rebooted 2.0. which i used to run the osc, (thinking it might be an update issue), and thats not worked.

i know i had a update for the app about a month ago, but that still works with osculator, so at the moment i'm not sure. give me a couple of days i'll work it out
Craig Dalzell 4:12 AM - 20 November, 2010
hi peds thanks for the reply,i've customised a few templates and got everything up and running.

This is what i done..

Open OSCulator on computer

Open TouchOSC on iPhone & tap all relevent controls so they show up in OSCulator

In OSCulator shift select all these controls and click any arrows in the EVENT TYPE panel and select MIDI CC (make sure every control has MIDI CC as the event type)

In OSCulator give each of these controls an individual value by clicking the arrows in the VALUE panel and numbering them 1,2,3,4,5 etc. (basically if you've tapped 20 controls they must be numbered 1-20) this can take a bit of time depending on how many controls you have

Open SSL and MIDI map all your controls with your iPhone

That will be it working for you mate

When you close OSCulator save what you've done and rename it something like "peds OSC template 1" then open it every time you want to use it with Serato and you won't have to do any of the above steps again
peds 6:06 PM - 21 November, 2010
hi craig, good to see that you've worked it out, so will it be an ipad on the christmas list now
marz21 6:11 PM - 25 January, 2011
i made up a custom template to use with an iPod touch/ iPhone with my SL3.... it's still a sort of a "beta" and i'd be down to share it with some one... I ended up getting it to work with my windows 7 set up so i'm not sure if Osculator automatically reads the midi control channel's value or what, but i'll post the touchOSC file for you guys to do what you will...

www.mediafire.com
BERTO 7:11 PM - 25 January, 2011
So you need osculator and touch osc to run touch osc to ssl?
peds 8:17 PM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:
So you need osculator and touch osc to run touch osc to ssl?

yes osculater is the midi translator
BERTO 8:32 PM - 25 January, 2011
For 30 dollars? What about midi-to ?
peds 8:40 PM - 25 January, 2011
try before you buy it gives you about 15 mins then goes off for about 1/2 a min then comes back on and so on.
BERTO 9:06 PM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:
try before you buy it gives you about 15 mins then goes off for about 1/2 a min then comes back on and so on.

I have midi-to its awesome i was asking your opinion....r u saying the osculator has a trial or midito sucks? Lol
peds 9:19 PM - 25 January, 2011
yes its a trial, for me i had the buzz with it on the iphone, but didn't buy.
i like my x1 better.
eagsbfd 9:24 PM - 25 January, 2011
i use touchosc and osculator on my ipad with no issues, I do have midi-to and like it as well.

I use the touch for custom templates
Jreed 5:41 PM - 17 April, 2011
Craig tried to follow your instructions but I can not get SSL to see OSCulator. When I try to map controls nothing happens. Any help plz :)
Mike Walker 11:49 PM - 4 May, 2011
i also, cant get serato to see OSCulator,... any help?
DJ KEVLAR 2:35 AM - 6 November, 2011
Mine doesnt see osculator or osc touch in the ssl midi setup screen either...
tomd05 4:54 PM - 9 November, 2011
I got this up and working on my i phone but now i cant connect back to my wi-fi network on my mac(works on my i phone still). My airport tells me its connected and has the green dot beside it in the network preferences,but the airport bar at the top of the screen has an exclamation point and tells me no internet connection.

It was working fine up on till i made a network on my mac to us touch osc and my Pc connects to the wi-fi with no problems..
any help?
Mukt 7:22 PM - 19 April, 2012
Hi just bought OSC works cool with serato,
the only issue how to assign command to cross fader on TTM57 since the serato software does not have a cross fader like Virtual DJ or Traktor?
How to assign loop roll on using OSC on serato ,I m able to loop it but not able to make it like loop roll if anyone has a tip on it please lete know...thanks
Djseize2012 10:46 PM - 9 July, 2012
I can't figure out how to setup the cross fader, I use mix emergency.. Can some one help.. Thanks
PopRoXxX 7:44 PM - 10 July, 2012
i made one for my iphone as its more compact for a setup than the ipad. it was pretty easy to make with the editor
aarontesfai 5:02 AM - 20 August, 2012
DJ SethV 2:26 PM - 20 December, 2012
When you are creating the templates in TouchOSC editor do you assign channels, numbers, and ranges? I am building a template to run with my Denon HC-4500. The Denon is a MIDI device, so I'm not too sure how to go about adding in TouchOSC. I'm am a MIDI noob, so any help would be great!
dj bizrok 1:23 AM - 25 February, 2013
I'm trying to get this working with my android tablet.
Yorkshireman 12:38 AM - 6 April, 2013
I followed this guys tutorial to get everything working from scratch (lol). He has put links in the description to the extra software you need. Didn't take too long to setup. Make sure you have the newest version of SL....

Watchwww.youtube.com

Saying this I am also a midi noob, and looking for some more templates for iphone, alternates to the one shown in the tutorial above, SP-6 and effect variants....

Anyone know of any sites? Theres plenty of iPad but not many iPhone combos.

Also how do you label your buttons in Touch OSC editor?
DJ SethV 2:02 PM - 6 April, 2013
Quote:
I followed this guys tutorial to get everything working from scratch (lol). He has put links in the description to the extra software you need. Didn't take too long to setup. Make sure you have the newest version of SL....

Watchwww.youtube.com

Saying this I am also a midi noob, and looking for some more templates for iphone, alternates to the one shown in the tutorial above, SP-6 and effect variants....

Anyone know of any sites? Theres plenty of iPad but not many iPhone combos.

Also how do you label your buttons in Touch OSC editor?

Shoot me your email. I've got a TON of templates.
Yorkshireman 12:57 AM - 7 April, 2013
Thanks dude. Ive sent it to you via private discussion.
BERTO 12:33 PM - 23 April, 2013
Just got it and see it had core midi, so no osculater needed?...
BERTO 12:38 PM - 23 April, 2013
hexler.net right?! Or am i missing something?!
Code:E 6:51 PM - 23 April, 2013
Yorkshireman, why dont you just make your own. And maybe post any templates you find on the DJtechtools midi map sharing site. I put up my ME template up there.
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:12 PM - 2 May, 2013
Jesus i can not in anyway get the iphone5 to talk to my macbook all video just say press one button.

I need help big time! Used to have this working with ssl but i have totally forgot how to use it as in get the iphone and mac talking to each other.

On mac i set creat new network press ok then on iphone in wifi connect to the network i just made but it will not find touchosc editor and times out if im even lucky to get that far most time no hosts show up in the list.

Sure im missing something simple here.

Any help pleeeaasessed
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:41 PM - 3 May, 2013
Just an update i restared my and reset my iphone (holding home and sleep button) tried again and worked first time! Strange.