DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane Staff: Talk To Me... When Is A Warranty Just Not Enough?

Dj Shamann 12:23 PM - 22 May, 2010
First off to anybody reading, I'm not trying to air Rane out or have you misunderstand my intentions. I'm a very loyal customer to Rane for a reason, IMO they make the most solid mixers on the planet, and I've used dozens of models and hundreds of mixers through various clubs over the years. The last thing I want to do is discourage anybody from looking into a Rane. But I've become so frustrated with my own mixer and it's warranty "service" I'm just about at the end of my rope.

I bought a TTM56s almost a year ago, it literally sits at my house looking pretty. I'm never home, and when I do actually stick my keys in the door after being away for however many days it's to take a shower and bounce to a gig. This thing is untouched, it has maybe 40 hours on it tops...if that.

Shortly after I bought my mixer (maybe 2-3 months in) I noticed that for no apparent reason the right side of the main out was disappearing, if I powered it down and left it for a moment, powered back up, usually it would work again and sometimes it would be a little more stubborn and I would have to come back to it. I should've addressed the issue right away but as I said, never home and I knew it was under warranty, any service technician looking at it would know that it was not caused by user negligence. So recently I decided since I only needed it for a studio mixer I would have it fixed, sell it, buy a 57 so I didn't have to keep unhooking/hooking up my SL1 every time I actually came home to use it.

I spoke to someone at the retailer I purchased it from and they said they would handle it. I dropped it off, two days later they say it's fixed and I'm to pick it up... great.. I have a session at the house and need to use it. Bring it home... the main out is fine, however the headphone out is not. No sound at all. So, dissapointed I bring it back in, tell them what happened and when they say they'll get right back on it, I say "no...take your time...please". Sure enough i get it back, all excited to do some work at home I pick it up within an hour of the call and take it home. Nice...the headphone jack works. Fire up Serato, get to it for about an hour...WTF happened to my sound? I have one channel but not the other, move the faders around... now I have never seen this in my life.

If I can paint a picture... the left deck/channel, I hear sound, but nothing on the right. I check all switches just in case I hit a kill or a line by accident, nothing. I move the fader (I'm hamster) from the right all the way to the left and bingo... I have sound...but from both decks in the far left position! WTF. So I hit reverse and both channels disappear, slide the fader back over to the right and voila... both decks. If I so much as move the fader a hair over, both channels disappear again. I power down, I'm color blind but right about now I'm seeing red, I take a breather, step outside for a minute, come back in and power up. Now...the fader just does not work at all, reverse/regular, left/right/center. All sound, all the time. I can mix with the upfaders but if I wanted to do that all day I would just use my studsio board and i wouldn't have bought a scratch mixer.

I'm at my wits end, this is going to be the third time in as many weeks with a new problem each time. I have shit to do, i can't be going back and forth and praying that it works, it's a $1300 mixer with not so much as a smudge on this. I definitely can't sell it to buy a 57 without fear of some angry customer waiting outside my house after it does something else. And I can't use it for my own purposes which are usually studio sessions. I book a sesshy and a paying client comes in and I'm like "hold on... it works only when i do this" I'll look like an idiot.

What am I to do here? Clearly this service warranty is not helping, Is there a policy for full on replacement? Do I have to send it to Rane directly and sit around mixerless a couple weeks with soem expensive shipping charges while awaiting a verdict?

I'm pretty pissed at the moment, I've never seen a Rane act like this but it's starting to shake my faith a little.
DJBIGWIZ 5:05 PM - 22 May, 2010
well, if you had someone other that RANE work on it, you can't blame RANE for them making it worse. I would call RANE if I were you and talk to them. They usually have a very quick turnaround and you would probably have your mixer back in a very short period of time and working like new.
Djaward 6:20 PM - 22 May, 2010
U said its a $1300 mixer.. WHERE THE HELL DID YOU BUY IT??
The 57 is worth that much. One question, why didnt you send it to rane? At the shops, they only check what you tell them to check. Im pretty sure rane would have done a full check.
DJBIGWIZ 6:31 PM - 22 May, 2010
Quote:
Im pretty sure rane would have done a full check.

+100
Dj Shamann 7:09 PM - 22 May, 2010
Quote:
well, if you had someone other that RANE work on it, you can't blame RANE for them making it worse. I would call RANE if I were you and talk to them. They usually have a very quick turnaround and you would probably have your mixer back in a very short period of time and working like new.

First off, I'm not blaming Rane, I said in the very beginning of the post that's not what this is about. Secondly I didn't "have someone else" work on it. I was under the assumption the mixer would be sent to Rane since when I went to the store I asked whether I have to send it in to Rane myself or would they foot the bill, I was told they would take care of it. (Assuming they meant send it in since that's what was discussed) This is not a mom & pop shop, it's a large chain (Long & Mcquade)

Quote:
U said its a $1300 mixer.. WHERE THE HELL DID YOU BUY IT??
The 57 is worth that much. One question, why didnt you send it to rane? At the shops, they only check what you tell them to check. Im pretty sure rane would have done a full check.

Not USD.
Dj Shamann 7:22 PM - 22 May, 2010
For anybody else misunderstanding, the reason I am dropping this here is because I'm on a very busy weekend, I'm not going to get answers from the store since it's a holiday weekend here and it will be closed for a couple of days (and I'm not sure I'm interested in what they have to say anymore) and two both the Rane and Serato staff in my experience have always been very helpful and honest when dealing with their customers. I don't have time to call in this weekend and was hoping a Rane employee might see it in the next cuple of days and offer up their thoughts.

Personally I'm a little surprised at how this has gone, I didn't expect this store to handle the issue like this, they are a very legitimate and respected business and have been around for years, and most stores I know send in directly to the head reps for the area in that situation (problem with your Allen & Heath? Give it to us, we'll send it in to Erikson Pro etc..)
DJBIGWIZ 9:27 PM - 22 May, 2010
Call RANE on Monday.
Dj Shamann 9:36 PM - 22 May, 2010
LOL Monday..is..a...holiday

Look, I'm just trying to put my mind at ease here for the time being. if nobody from Rane answers me in this thread, that's eventually what I'll do... but this is already causing me to lose sleep over frustration. If a Rane employee happens by the thread before then.. all the better, they're generally very helpful people. I don't know if I should run up in the store guns blazing (metaphorically speaking of course.. I am not strapped LOL) or if I get a heads up from a Rane staffer before then I can approach the situation accordingly. I'm quite long distance from Rane and my celly bill is in shambles as is.
SuckaDJ 10:23 PM - 22 May, 2010
WTH? The whole time I'm reading this I'm pissed myself..

At the fact that you didn't actually send it to RANE in the first place?? They'll find other shit wrong with it (if any) and they'll FIX that also!

Come on man....
Dj Shamann 10:30 PM - 22 May, 2010
Quote:
WT
At the fact that you didn't actually send it to RANE in the first place?? They'll find other shit wrong with it (if any) and they'll FIX that also!

Come on man....

Okay...for the last time, I am not in the states, I approached the dealer about it (they are like a Guitar Center) I asked them "do I send it in to Rane, or do you handle that?" since shipping across borders can not only be pricy, but tricky. They said they will handle that, and by handle that I didn't think they meant repair it themselves, obviously for them to actually be doing repairs on such equipment they gotta be authorized by Rane to do so in the first place otherwise they could be voiding the warranty. that was part of the reason I dropped it here, to get thoughts from a Rane employee off the record before I take my next course of action.

And if they are authorized, at which point does everyone have to realize that I may have just got the one lemon out of a million and is a replacement in order?
Detroitbootybass 12:04 AM - 24 May, 2010
If you're not too busy on Monday (I know it's May 2-4 in Canada this weekend), then call Rane as it's not a holiday weekend here in the US.

Rane may have you contact it's Canadian dealer (www.rane.com), 'Contact Distribution', for further help.

Good luck and I hope someone finds a quick and equitable solution for you!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:14 AM - 24 May, 2010
I was getting ready to say, Monday isn't a holiday in the US.

NEXT Monday is though..
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:39 PM - 24 May, 2010
Quote:
LOL Monday..is..a...holiday

is it a holiday in new zealand...where rane is located??
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:39 PM - 24 May, 2010
ooops foot in mouth serato is in new zealand....where is rane located at??
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:40 PM - 24 May, 2010
ya if you take it back to one of the large chain stores they dont send it back to the company, they have centers where their people fix the issue
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:00 PM - 24 May, 2010
Monday is not a holiday, I am here now. I skipped the last 10 posts, so sorry if I'm redundant.

Call us and send it to us. I don't know who you went to our how they would get it to us and back to you within 2 days. Are you in Seattle? If so, bring it in to us yourself and we'll even give you a tour of the factory.

We 100% stand behind our gear and a lot of users know this, that is why they choose us. All you have to do if you ever have a mixer question or concern is call us at 425.355.6000. We are more than happy to help and hopefully we can trouble shoot and see if it's not something that can be corrected without shipping it away.

Give us a call, we are here and waiting to help. You should fire the person you brought this too. Who was it?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:05 PM - 24 May, 2010
/END THREAD.
djdalite 5:10 PM - 24 May, 2010
Quote:
Monday is not a holiday, I am here now. I skipped the last 10 posts, so sorry if I'm redundant.

Call us and send it to us. I don't know who you went to our how they would get it to us and back to you within 2 days. Are you in Seattle? If so, bring it in to us yourself and we'll even give you a tour of the factory.

We 100% stand behind our gear and a lot of users know this, that is why they choose us. All you have to do if you ever have a mixer question or concern is call us at 425.355.6000. We are more than happy to help and hopefully we can trouble shoot and see if it's not something that can be corrected without shipping it away.

Give us a call, we are here and waiting to help. You should fire the person you brought this too. Who was it?

customer satisfaction guaranteed

btw, i want a tour of the factroy :...( i live in FL tho
Dj Shamann 6:37 PM - 24 May, 2010
Quote:

The Monday is a holiday thing was my bad, i was so frustrated at that point and bhad been up for a couple of days, i told Big Wiz ina PM I wasn't thinking straight, everything here is closed, I realize in The U.S. everything is business as usual.

The store was Long & Mcquade on Bloor St. (Toronto) I'm in Canada which is why getting it to you is a bit more difficult, months ago when I was looking into the original problem (no signal from the right out) I was told by Zach S to get in touch with the distributor to find out where the closest authorized repair center is, I live right next door to pretty much the largest store of the largest chain in the country, which is also an authroized repair center. At first I went to them to ask whether I send it in to Rane or if they handle that because as I said earlier, me shipping across the border is not only pricy but tricky with customs and all that jazz, they said they would handle it. When I first went in to as I thought they would send it out, but then I realized that no since they are the authorized repair center, they do it themselves, which is a little unsettling to me especially after all these problems.

My cell phone is restricted at the moment so calling across the border is going to be difficult, this is why I brought it up here in the meantime.

And yes I'm aware that you stand 100% behind your gear which is why I've been a loyal Rane customer since 1998, I'm not blaming Rane the company for this, although I'm wondering if i got a one in a million lemon of a mixer. My frustrations are with the "authorized repair center" set up where I'm stuck in a situation that has proved to be unreliable, yet it's pretty much my only option right now.
latindj 6:48 PM - 24 May, 2010
it's not your only option. just pack it up and ship it to Rane. yeah, you'll be out of a mixer for about a week, but it's better than not being able to use the darn thing at all...
SuckaDJ 6:51 PM - 24 May, 2010
^ RIGHT.....??
Dj Shamann 6:56 PM - 24 May, 2010
Quote:
it's not your only option. just pack it up and ship it to Rane. yeah, you'll be out of a mixer for about a week, but it's better than not being able to use the darn thing at all...

Repeat: sending a mixer across the border is not as easy as it is for a US citizen to send it within the country.
latindj 8:17 PM - 24 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Repeat: sending a mixer across the border is not as easy as it is for a US citizen to send it within the country.

Repeat: it may not be easy but Jesus Christ do something!
nik39 8:41 PM - 24 May, 2010
It can really be a hassle sending equipment across borders. It's not only expensive... but you have fill out a shit load of papers, and even then things can get complicataed.-. You know how paranoid the US government is.

However, you should really kick the distributors asses if you dealt directly with them. If you haven't yet - talk to them now. I know that the german distribution kicks ass when it comes to turnaround time and repair quality. ;)
DJMark 9:31 PM - 24 May, 2010
Canada is not North Korea or Iran, and getting gear across either side of the US/Canada border is relatively straightforward. Especially, as is the case here, where it's not actually being permanently shipped out of the country and therefore subject to taxes/duties.

I would think anyone at UPS or Fed-Ex could help with whatever needs to be filled out about it.
Dj Shamann 9:33 PM - 24 May, 2010
it's $200 + to ship, already did a calculator with UPS and Canada Post. Then there's customs, you're stateside so you may not realize what a bitch it really can be.
DJMark 9:46 PM - 24 May, 2010
I would not have thought it would cost $200.
nik39 9:58 PM - 24 May, 2010
Oh yeah, forgot about the customs... and papers!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:12 PM - 24 May, 2010
Dag! $200.00 to ship? Man listen, you could fly a Rane TECH to your crib for that, and have him fix it on the spot.
sixxx 10:29 PM - 24 May, 2010
Quote:
Dag! $200.00 to ship? Man listen, you could fly a Rane TECH to your crib for that, and have him fix it on the spot.

lol
latindj 11:03 PM - 24 May, 2010
Quote:
it's $200 + to ship, already did a calculator with UPS and Canada Post. Then there's customs, you're stateside so you may not realize what a bitch it really can be.

yikes! 200 bucks? wow, that sucks. sorry, didn't realize that... I guess your stuck dealing with the store. If I were you, I'd tell them to exchange it for another mixer if you could...
Rane, Support
Chad S. 11:41 PM - 24 May, 2010
Quote:

My cell phone is restricted at the moment so calling across the border is going to be difficult, this is why I brought it up here in the meantime..

email me your digits, I'll call you ;)

chads@rane.com

What I would do is to personally contact the rep in that area and ask what is the deal with this repair place. I'd ask him what his approach might be and who to contact next. i don't know if the reps have a special connect or not but maybe he can ship it and avoid some duties. Do you still have his contact info?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:42 PM - 24 May, 2010
Chad S., you may be in for a road trip.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 11:42 PM - 24 May, 2010
dude, wheres my car?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:29 AM - 25 May, 2010
Quote:
dude, wheres my car?

i.fosfor.se
Bigga Bounce Ent 3:31 PM - 26 May, 2010
Quote:

it will be more than $200.00 if he's gotta fly into Pearson, plus he's gotta get a work visa.....ANOTHER whole canna worms ;)
DJ DisGrace 3:44 PM - 26 May, 2010
Canada - Warranty service cannot be sent to USA.... he said this many times

The Rane distributor in Canada is Contact Distribution in Scarborough - Send it directly to them. In my experience Long & McQuade is worse than the baffoons that work at Best Buy.

I sent my 57 in for warranty service to contact a few months ago. Cost me $20 to ship it to them. They had it back to me in a week.

Shamman - check ur PM
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:47 AM - 27 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

it will be more than $200.00 if he's gotta fly into Pearson, plus he's gotta get a work visa.....ANOTHER whole canna worms ;)

Put the Rane tech in a FedEx box, throw some bubble wrap in there, and it's a party.
Dj Shamann 6:32 PM - 27 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

My cell phone is restricted at the moment so calling across the border is going to be difficult, this is why I brought it up here in the meantime..

chads@rane.com

What I would do is to personally contact the rep in that area and ask what is the deal with this repair place. I'd ask him what his approach might be and who to contact next. i don't know if the reps have a special connect or not but maybe he can ship it and avoid some duties. Do you still have his contact info?

Thanks for the help everyone, just an update this is still up in the air but I've been pointed in what looks to be the right direction by DJBIGWIZ, I emailed Mike May and he in turn had the area rep contact me (thanks for the heads up to Dj DisGrace, it was the same contact) it's in an area where I'll be able to physically drop it off myself and drop it to the rep personally. When he said he may need a few days with it I was all for it, this overnight turn around fix 'em up has obviously not been working.

I will keep everyone posted as the situation progresses.
Detroitbootybass 10:57 PM - 28 May, 2010
Quote:
Contact Distribution

No love for my 'first'?

lol
Bigga Bounce Ent 11:58 PM - 28 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Put the Rane tech in a FedEx box, throw some bubble wrap in there, and it's a party.

LOL I think a Rane Tech might weigh A lil more that a 56, we should give it a shot!! Party ova here!!!
Dj Shamann 6:59 PM - 11 June, 2010
So yeah... turns out after all this it was once again a disconnected wire. What troubles me about this is the fact that had I shipped it for $200 only to find out someone "forgot" to check the connections...after it was brought back in for a second repair for the same thing, it would've all been a waste of my money, time and Rane's time due to negligence on the part of the repair technician.

I've been inside the 54 before, I know it's very user friendly however I didn't want to void any warranty by fiddling around in the 56s when the first problem itself (only one side of the main coming and going) was not this kind of issue.

Anyway, thanks to DJBIGWIZ for putting me in contact with Mike over at Rane, thanks to Disgrace and Detroitbootybass for the heads up and Chad S for monitoring the thread, after it was all said and done I now have my Rane back funtioning just like a Rane should... beautifully. And when that was confirmed I sold it to one of my brothers and bought a 57 today. (glutton for punishment?)
djrayray0981 9:29 PM - 11 June, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

chads@rane.com

Chad, I also sent you an e-mail. Please call me whenever you can. Thanks man