Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

OSC: Communication to external applications (video, animation,...)

puma snyder 12:26 PM - 17 November, 2006
Hi all,

I've seem some users requesting video support for scratch live, and others who specifically don't want it. As much as I like video support, I don't believe it should be implemented in the software itself, and any implementation should not be limited to video only.

So what I'd like to see is a way to communicate with other applications, be it for external video, 3d animation control or whatever. For this to work efficiently, the other application needs some key data from scratch live, especially the songs loaded and the current "index" signal where in the song we currently are. But other properties could also be highly usefull (i.e. control signals velocity, bpm, artist, crossfader position for 57sl, ...).

Therefore I'd like to see a simple (network) protocoll implemented, be it OSC or a custom (and documented) one, which sends out these data via sockets. Then it's up to the users to fetch those infos and apply it to video control, 3d animation or whatever they like. And the other applications can easily run on another machine(s), reducing the risk of crashes on your scratch live machine.

Of course this wont work with off-the shelf video players, but those things are pretty easy to create in Max/MSP, VVVV, Touch Designer ..... and I'm sure, with this large community, there will quickly be some visual generators/players available.

Cheers
Achim
AKIEM 8:12 PM - 17 November, 2006
word

I would like to see SSL control DVJ or the like.
jkriss 2:47 PM - 29 November, 2006
With OSC output of record velocity, I could make this work with SSL in a minute: jklabs.net

Right now, it's all in Max/MSP (using Ms. Pinky), which makes it really hard to use during a real set -- I'd rather not reimplement all of SSL in Max.

If SSL could send a few key parameters over OSC, I bet we'd see a whole bunch of really slick add-ons.
MÃ¥nsteri 1:14 AM - 29 June, 2009
OSC output +1

Using this old thread instead of starting a new one.

I would like to see at least all the stuff that is currently being exposed to Quartz Composer with the Video-SL being sent over OSC. Meaning vinyl velocity, TTM 57 controls, FFT etc.

Now I can do animation, video and even send the OSC by using .qtz files, but it would be better if this was all built in so I could mess around more easily with other software. Right now you have to always reload the .qtz file that sends the OSC when you play a new song.
radikarl 1:07 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:

I would like to see at least all the stuff that is currently being exposed to Quartz Composer with the Video-SL being sent over OSC. Meaning vinyl velocity, TTM 57 controls, FFT etc.
that can be done with a quartz compisition.
i played around with the demo of arkaos grand vj and some simple quartz compositions i've made...

the speed of a song in VSL changes the speed of some clip in arkaos. no problem at all. this should even work if arkaos runs on another computer.

Quote:
Right now you have to always reload the .qtz file that sends the OSC when you play a new song.

you can use scratch tools to associate it with all files at once.

still it seems that you have to reload the composition to work properly...

you can try to load two instances (two copies) of your OSC sending composition with my "quartz_slider.qtz" www.serato.com
that way, the refresh should be done for you automatically. since the slider flips trough the two instances.
you could also change the mentioned composition in a way, that it only changes once after lets say one second and then no more change.
still , the refresh should be done for you automatically
it's a little hack but it should do the work ;-)
Dax 7:13 AM - 22 April, 2010
OSC in SSL !!
+1 to that.
blinkenlights 9:49 AM - 16 May, 2015
Alright, this is old, like really old, but - we still need this!

How's there no solution to this? Don't want to be all too demanding, but it would be so incredibly nice to have all these outputs via OSC to any application. PLEASE!