DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Electro-Voice ZXA1-90 vs Qsc k8

Mm3 2:56 AM - 6 February, 2010
Well i was going to get a pair of k8s then i heard about ev's new powered speakers. heard great things about ev but i have never owned one. the zxa1 is rated at 800w, weighs 19 pounds and map of $499. now thinking of going this route. opinions? mackie srm450 vs qsc k8 or the new ev zxa1? just sold my matrix 1000, got tired of carrying that sub. sounded good but looking for something more compact. plan on adding a sub to whatever tops i buy later on, but not anytime soon so im lookin for something that will put out descent low end.

thanks
djticonyc 5:53 AM - 6 February, 2010
waow I'm about to buy a new speaker real soon. I allready have the mackie srm 450v2 i love them. I never knew about the zxa1 till i read this post and wow. $500 for a speaker that weights 19 pounds and 800watts. My srm 450v2 is 41 pounds and 400 watts and paid $750. I went to a few sites couldn't find any personal reviews tho. So if anyone has heard them are they louder and more clear then the 450v2?
djticonyc 12:04 PM - 6 February, 2010
allright i came apon this. Watchwww.youtube.com it says 200 watts rms and 800 watts peak. my srm 450v2 is 300 watts rms. So my question about which one is louder would def be my 450v2 right ?
Mm3 2:42 PM - 6 February, 2010
actually that's the wrong speaker, this is the new one that just came out. Watchwww.youtube.com
djdalite 5:23 PM - 6 February, 2010
damn 8in and 800watts and its self powered

thats sweet
djticonyc 10:31 PM - 6 February, 2010
lol whoops your right looks exactly the same. well i can't find any information on the rms power of that speaker
DJ GaFFle 4:14 PM - 7 February, 2010
Quote:
Well i was going to get a pair of k8s then i heard about ev's new powered speakers. heard great things about ev but i have never owned one. the zxa1 is rated at 800w, weighs 19 pounds and map of $499. now thinking of going this route. opinions? mackie srm450 vs qsc k8 or the new ev zxa1? just sold my matrix 1000, got tired of carrying that sub. sounded good but looking for something more compact. plan on adding a sub to whatever tops i buy later on, but not anytime soon so im lookin for something that will put out descent low end.

thanks

I was wondering when someone would ask about this comparison.

I'd go with the EV... ESPECIALLY at $499. That K8 is waaayyyy overpriced at $649 for an 8" speaker. I've heard good things about the K8s and QSC makes quality stuff (I use to own HPR 122i's and 181i's) but EV makes industry-standard VERY high quality sound and has been doing that for years.

They both have a tuxedo look quality, aren't gawdy and are very functional with controls on the back. Both are win/win...

I'm wondering if EV is working on a competitor for the K12... maybe an EVZXa3.
djticonyc 6:25 PM - 7 February, 2010
so gaffle which route would you go mackie srm450v2($600) or ev zxa1($500)?
Joee 6:31 PM - 7 February, 2010
ev's all the way i use the passive zx1 with a sb122.....

8inch top 12 sub, you would be amazed at the sound they put out
djticonyc 6:34 PM - 7 February, 2010
yea but the 8" makes me think twice of how loud it actually is. I allready own a srm 450v2 but im looking for another speaker. I don't want to buy the ev's and next thing you know they are actually not as loud
DJDeluchi 6:41 PM - 7 February, 2010
i love ev i have the 300 sx speakers they rock
Joee 8:35 PM - 7 February, 2010
do NOT let the size fool you
www.electrovoice.com
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:25 PM - 7 February, 2010
+1

I own K8s and K10s and just started using the 8s instead of the 10s for my mains. They really sound that good. Loud, clean, and lightweight.

I'm actually thinking about selling my k10s and replacing them with the K8s. I came from Mackie SRM450s, this is a world of difference.
Mm3 12:07 AM - 8 February, 2010
Dj Dub, do you run your k8s with subs? if so have you done gigs with them without subs? just wondering if i could get away with not having a sub with k8s on small-medium size venues 100-200 people. weddings, medium size ballrooms, etc. im pretty sure it will not have the same low end as my matrix 1000, but im hoping that the k8s or the zxas will give me a descent low end for it'll be while till i can afford a sub.
DJ GaFFle 12:20 AM - 8 February, 2010
Quote:

The Mackies, with a 12", will have a more full sound only because it's a larger driver. Not a apples-to-apples comparison.

I'd choose the ZXa1s, they make a better product. I'm not a fan of CHackies (Chinese-made Mackies).
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:50 AM - 8 February, 2010
Quote:
Dj Dub, do you run your k8s with subs? if so have you done gigs with them without subs? just wondering if i could get away with not having a sub with k8s on small-medium size venues 100-200 people. weddings, medium size ballrooms, etc. im pretty sure it will not have the same low end as my matrix 1000, but im hoping that the k8s or the zxas will give me a descent low end for it'll be while till i can afford a sub.

I run 2 Ksubs.

However I can run the K8s in DEEP mode and crank them without clipping, where to get the same output on the K10s I have to run them in EXT SUB mode. The K8s are good and sound full, but they do not give the rumble that a Matrix sub would.
DJ GaFFle 12:27 PM - 8 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

The Mackies, with a 12", will have a more full sound only because it's a larger driver. Not a apples-to-apples comparison.

I'd choose the ZXa1s, they make a better product. I'm not a fan of CHackies (Chinese-made Mackies).

... if you CAN'T afford a sub right now or will never buy a sub, I'd would suggest the Mackies or an alternative speaker with at least a 12" or 15" driver. You'll look really silly trying to DJ an event with some 8" speakers (w/o a sub).

If you CAN see yourself purchasing a sub soon, go for the higher quality EVs.
Maskrider 4:12 PM - 8 February, 2010
Subs are not that expensive try to look at Community Speakers the VLF212 sub in particular very compact with 2 x 12" in woofers 900 watts.
DJ GaFFle 7:25 PM - 8 February, 2010
Quote:
Subs are not that expensive try to look at Community Speakers the VLF212 sub in particular very compact with 2 x 12" in woofers 900 watts.

LOL... they look like KV2 ex2.5s: www.communitypro.com
DJ GaFFle 7:27 PM - 8 February, 2010
^^^ also the ex 2.2s.
Maskrider 8:50 PM - 8 February, 2010
I was about to say that but I'm waiting for people here to notice it..........lol
Mm3 10:31 PM - 8 February, 2010
Thanks for all the input. btw, according to some people mackies have a reputation of clipping/overheating, at least the v1 but were they really that bad? found a local guy selling a pair(not v2) with stands for $600. good deal? he claims it wasn't used much and from the pictures the speakers look like they are in great condition.
djticonyc 1:52 AM - 9 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

... if you CAN'T afford a sub right now or will never buy a sub, I'd would suggest the Mackies or an alternative speaker with at least a 12" or 15" driver. You'll look really silly trying to DJ an event with some 8" speakers (w/o a sub).

If you CAN see yourself purchasing a sub soon, go for the higher quality EVs.

ah yes that's is what i was thinking. the ev's are so small i don't think it has any bass while my mackies produce good enough amount. I'm not looking to buy a sub right now or anytime soon so adding the other mackie instead of going the ev route would be my best option for just djing a party with two tops?
dj_JM 4:43 AM - 9 February, 2010
what's the warranty for the ZXA1's? the website doesn't mention it....
latindj 5:02 PM - 9 February, 2010
Quote:
Thanks for all the input. btw, according to some people mackies have a reputation of clipping/overheating, at least the v1 but were they really that bad? found a local guy selling a pair(not v2) with stands for $600. good deal? he claims it wasn't used much and from the pictures the speakers look like they are in great condition.

that's a pretty good deal. the speakers did overheat, happened to me once or twice but only during hot weather. the trick is to keep them running out of the read, a well ventilated room, don't use it as a floor monitor (cuts air circulation), and if needed mount a small fan to the amp heatsinks on the rear.
Dj K.Smith 4:48 PM - 15 February, 2010
I just went EV's for $850... Will report back when they arrive...
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:57 PM - 15 February, 2010
I feel a K8/EV shootout coming on soon.
DJ GaFFle 6:10 PM - 15 February, 2010
Quote:
I feel a K8/EV shootout coming on soon.

This'll be a good one. I've heard great things about the K8s... people surprisingly rate them higher than the K10s for some strange reason.

I'd stick with EVs but both seem like a win/win.
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:47 PM - 15 February, 2010
I rate the K8s higher than the k10s and I think it's because the r&d went into the smaller speaker and then they expanded the line by making bigger boxes. If they had designed the k12 first and just cut the size of the box down it would probably sound like shit. They all sound good, but the 8s sound whoa!
djticonyc 11:19 PM - 15 February, 2010
Quote:

? it/s $500. and the evs have not yet come out so i can't hear it. I just would really like to do which one is louder hehe. that's a big plus for me since i do alot of mobile parties also
Dj K.Smith 5:11 AM - 16 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

? it/s $500. and the evs have not yet come out so i can't hear it. I just would really like to do which one is louder hehe. that's a big plus for me since i do alot of mobile parties also

Pre-order from musician's friend to take advantage of coupon savings bro... I think they come out from them on the 22nd...
djticonyc 9:10 AM - 16 February, 2010
link me up to the cupons ?
Dj K.Smith 1:41 PM - 16 February, 2010
It's done now dude... If it still works it's "prez"...
djticonyc 5:34 PM - 16 February, 2010
ahz yea ur right doesnt seem to be working =/
Dj K.Smith 5:46 AM - 18 February, 2010
Just got the email, my joints just shipped...
djticonyc 7:08 AM - 18 February, 2010
hopefully you have heard the 450v2 before so u can compare them evs to the 450v2 -.-
dj cubicle 4:25 PM - 18 February, 2010
*subscribes*
Dj K.Smith 4:34 PM - 18 February, 2010
Quote:
hopefully you have heard the 450v2 before so u can compare them evs to the 450v2 -.-

Well I already have the 450's V1 and use them along with some yorkville subs as my main system (bigger events I use the subs). The EV's are for my VCI and when I do small parties, open houses, get-togethers, etc... Also I can use them as a second set-up for when I do a wedding in one spot and a reception in another...
DJ GaFFle 4:40 PM - 18 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Well I already have the 450's V1 and use them along with some yorkville subs as my main system (bigger events I use the subs). The EV's are for my VCI and when I do small parties, open houses, get-togethers, etc... Also I can use them as a second set-up for when I do a wedding in one spot and a reception in another...

That VCI/EV setup is perfect for a ceremony. Add your lavaliere mic and you're good.
dj cubicle 6:09 PM - 18 February, 2010
Didn't realize BB has the unpowered versions of the EVs right now. They're so ridiculously small!
DJ GaFFle 6:34 PM - 18 February, 2010
Quote:
Didn't realize BB has the unpowered versions of the EVs right now. They're so ridiculously small!

BlackBerry sells speakers?
buddy2007 4:00 AM - 25 April, 2010
Quote:

thanks

I recently picked up a pair of the EV ZXA1s...I got them for $409 each (free shipping) from Music123.com I use them for ceremonies, cocktails & small parties where big thump is need required. Outstanding speakers! EV has a winner with these.

On another note: I also have a pair of Mackie SRM450s..in the 10 years I've had them, they have NEVER overheated or quit on me.
WirelessDJ 9:16 PM - 1 May, 2010
I will have the srm450 right beside the zxa1 tonight ready to switch over in the event the ev overheats. A simple swap of the xlr and power connector and I am back in business.
WirelessDJ 9:17 PM - 1 May, 2010
My previous post did not post so here it is again...

Today I bought one ev zxa1 to compare to the mackie srm450 v1's that i own and here is my quick review. First, i love my mackies. They are built like a tank and have never let me down at a gig.  They are loud and sound great. But they are big, heavy.

Now on to the review.  

Weight
The zxa1 is  more than half the weight of the mackie and that is important to me.  I play in a small bar where the srm450 is a pain in the a$$ carrying up stars.  The ev will be no problem at 20 pounds.  

Venue
The srm450 is almost too loud for the size of the room i dj in.  And i admit, a few times I have driven people out of the bar because of the high sound pressure levels.   the ev spl is 123db  and the mackie is 127db - so it isn't a huge difference  however the mackie has the bass thump that gets the dance floor moving.

Sound  
On the high end Comparing side by side,  The mackie is slightly louder but the ev clearly has better highs. Very crisp and loud and clean.   If i had to explain it, it sounds like there is a sheet over the srm450 compared to the zxa1.  But if you think about it, a sheet does not dampen the sound that much.   

Initial test
Prior to the first gig I hooked the zxa1 directly to my vci 300 and pushed the hell out of it. With the speaker gain on zero and the vci300 totally Maxed all the gains and redlining... It barely clipped.  Some heavy bass tracks it did clip more often.  There was some speaker cabinet noise rattle but it still sounded good for an 8 inch speaker.  I've done that same test with the mackie and the srm450 sounds great at first but will eventually start to distort as the amp heats up.  This can easily be avoided with a fan blowing on the heat sink fins.   

Power rating
What i cannot understand is ev says these are 800 watts with 30 percent headroom meaning it peaks at 1100 watts -- and yet there are no fans or heat sinks like the mackie.  This is bullish-t.  I Really have trouble believing this is 800 watts rms.  Even more disturbing, what will happen to the ev after pushing it for 5 hours at max volume - will it hold up or thermally shut down?  The specs say it draws max 0.6 amps at max. A little math shows it can't be 800 watts

P=I x E
P=0.6amps x 120 volts

So Power = 72 watts drawing from the mains?   The mackie says on the power plug 320 watts!

The ev has a Class D amplifier with a high compression driver but i can't see it being true 800 watts.  Someone please correct me?  Maybe I am not comparing apples to apples?

Build quality
I like the case of the mackie better. Definatley more solid and will hold up longer  The ev is light and the plastic is not as durable as the mackie.  It will scratch and dent easily. I highly recommend padded cases.

Which one
Overall the mackie is better for large outdoor venues and wins on the low end.   This may be the right sized speaker for my venue.  If i were build a club i would get 8 zxa1s, and a few amplified subs.  They don't dominate the room and make a great speaker to blend in.   

Other uses
the zxa1 makes a hell of a dj booth monitor. Small, light, loud.  All you would need is an adjustable booth monitor level control. 

Future
If it works out i am going back Monday and getting a second zxa1. Still will keep the mackies for larger gigs.  That is unless i get a powered sub, then the mackies are history.  The zxa1 is the perfect gig speaker -only if- you had a powered sub.  By themselves they are good for small rooms.  

Tonight i will put it though a 5 hour torture test to see if it lasts at max volume.  Look out for my follow up post!

Wirelessdj
Joee 10:13 PM - 1 May, 2010
Quote:

Today I bought one ev zxa1 to compare to the mackie srm450 v1's that i own and here is my quick review. First, i love my mackies. They are built like a tank and have never let me down at a gig.  They are loud and sound great. But they are big, heavy.

Now on to the review.  

Weight
The zxa1 is  more than half the weight of the mackie and that is important to me.  I play in a small bar where the srm450 is a pain in the a$$ carrying up stars.  The ev will be no problem at 20 pounds.  

Venue
The srm450 is almost too loud for the size of the room i dj in.  And i admit, a few times I have driven people out of the bar because of the high sound pressure levels.   the ev spl is 123db  and the mackie is 127db - so it isn't a huge difference  however the mackie has the bass thump that gets the dance floor moving.

Sound  
On the high end Comparing side by side,  The mackie is slightly louder but the ev clearly has better highs. Very crisp and loud and clean.   If i had to explain it, it sounds like there is a sheet over the srm450 compared to the zxa1.  But if you think about it, a sheet does not dampen the sound that much.   

Initial test
Prior to the first gig I hooked the zxa1 directly to my vci 300 and pushed the hell out of it. With the speaker gain on zero and the vci300 totally Maxed all the gains and redlining... It barely clipped.  Some heavy bass tracks it did clip more often.  There was some speaker cabinet noise rattle but it still sounded good for an 8 inch speaker.  I've done that same test with the mackie and the srm450 sounds great at first but will eventually start to distort as the amp heats up.  This can easily be avoided with a fan blowing on the heat sink fins.   

Power rating
What i cannot understand is ev says these are 800 watts with 30 percent headroom meaning it peaks at 1100 watts -- and yet there are no fans or heat sinks like the mackie.  This is bullish-t.  I Really have trouble believing this is 800 watts rms.  Even more disturbing, what will happen to the ev after pushing it for 5 hours at max volume - will it hold up or thermally shut down?  The specs say it draws max 0.6 amps at max. A little math shows it can't be 800 watts

P=I x E
P=0.6amps x 120 volts

So Power = 72 watts drawing from the mains?   The mackie says on the power plug 320 watts!

The ev has a Class D amplifier with a high compression driver but i can't see it being true 800 watts.  Someone please correct me?  Maybe I am not comparing apples to apples?

Build quality
I like the case of the mackie better. Definatley more solid and will hold up longer  The ev is light and the plastic is not as durable as the mackie.  It will scratch and dent easily. I highly recommend padded cases.

Which one
Overall the mackie is better for large outdoor venues and wins on the low end.   This may be the right sized speaker for my venue.  If i were build a club i would get 8 zxa1s, and a few amplified subs.  They don't dominate the room and make a great speaker to blend in.   

Other uses
the zxa1 makes a hell of a dj booth monitor. Small, light, loud.  All you would need is an adjustable booth monitor level control. 

Future
If it works out i am going back Monday and getting a second zxa1. Still will keep the mackies for larger gigs.  That is unless i get a powered sub, then the mackies are history.  The zxa1 is the perfect gig speaker -only if- you had a powered sub.  By themselves they are good for small rooms.  

Tonight i will put it though a 5 hour torture test to see if it lasts at max volume.  Look out for my follow up post!

Wirelessdj

i use this set up, it's a great sounding system nice & light i use it for small gigs,100 to 200 guest it does the job well
www.electrovoice.com

if you want a powered sub to match
www.karaokeequipment.com
WirelessDJ 10:17 PM - 1 May, 2010
I want a small lightweight sub to match. What do you recommend?
Joee 10:21 PM - 1 May, 2010
Quote:
I want a small lightweight sub to match. What do you recommend?

bro you have to LOOK^^^^

i put the link there for you to see LOOK>>> www.karaokeequipment.com
WirelessDJ 10:52 PM - 1 May, 2010
Ehhh, in the past i had two sx200's and one ev sb120 -- and i wasn't impressed. What i found was most of the time i would leave the sub at home because the sx200's sounded fine without it.
Joee 11:05 PM - 1 May, 2010
Quote:
Ehhh, in the past i had two sx200's and one ev sb120 -- and i wasn't impressed. What i found was most of the time i would leave the sub at home because the sx200's sounded fine without it.

in the PAST you said sb120 , i don't use a sb120 i use a sb122 with zx1's & a qsc plx

when i say they kick i MEAN they KICK!!!!! sound awesome, i used it new years in a school gym
WirelessDJ 11:14 PM - 1 May, 2010
The sb120 is similar to the sb122 except for the fact that it does not have a secondary amped out. They both are 400w rme and 12" cone. I was hoping there was another brand someone could recommend, lightweight, powerful and small. I will however reevaluate the sb122 next time I go to sam ash.
DJ GaFFle 7:17 PM - 2 May, 2010
Quote:

Today I bought one ev zxa1 to compare to the mackie srm450 v1's that i own and here is my quick review...

This is not a fair comparison, an 8" speaker to a 12" speaker... A more fair comparison would be Mackie's SRM350 10" speaker to the ZXa1... OR K. Smith's comparison of it to the QSC K8.
WirelessDJ 7:51 PM - 2 May, 2010
I agree, they are in two different classes.

I ran the zxa1 and although it did redline sooner than than my tests at home, it had no issues all night. Amazing sound from a speaker the fits i n a duffel bag. At the end of the night, it wasnt even hot. I was very impressed with electro voice and plan to get a second one tomorrow. I am Not selling the mackies though. Still need those for large and outdoor gigs
WirelessDJ 11:26 PM - 3 May, 2010
Update:

1. I Picked up the second zxa1 today. Great little speakers. The rms power on these is 200 watts not 800 as they advertise and 1100 with 30 db headroom. 800w is IEC peak power. Regardless, they still sound great and I love them. I just wish the industry would stick to one standard, it's misleading.

2. Today I confirmed from two sources that the ev sb122 is (or about to be) discontinued. I don't know if there is something going to replace it or thats it for em with that line -- but it is GONE.

so that still leaves me trying to find a small powered sub.

Anyone have Any ideas? It doesn't have to be ev
latindj 11:42 PM - 3 May, 2010
What's the budget?
Dj K.Smith 12:30 AM - 4 May, 2010
I still think after hearing them both the QSC is the stronger speaker. The EV is nice, but the QSC has a fuller sound, more range, and seems to handle higher volumes very well, IMO...
WirelessDJ 2:34 AM - 4 May, 2010
Under 500 if possible.

I would have considered the qsc if the local stores sold them. When i saw the ev's, i had to demo them. Then i ran to my car and drug in the mackie to do a side by side comparison. It's hard to buy speakers online unless you have heard them somewhere before.
arenasnd 9:49 PM - 16 June, 2010
We recently bought 4 of the EV ZXA1's for our arena use. The speakers are all that and more. They've been used in the bowl, outdoor events, bars, etc. The clarity is amazing & the bass response for such a small cabinet is unbelievable. We also have 4 EV ZXA5's but have been using the A1's more often now.
WirelessDJ 10:21 PM - 16 June, 2010
Update: I too bought the zxa1s and i agree 100%. Best dj monitor ever. Love them.

Did you know of a small stand that will fit these? I have Ultimate's but they are huge compared to the zxa1's
arenasnd 10:26 PM - 16 June, 2010
looking around. Our situation is always about things not tipping over so wider is better. I'll let you know if i come across something.
bill-e 5:22 PM - 19 June, 2010
this thread is relevant to my interests
sacrilicious 7:24 PM - 19 June, 2010
Any love for the JBL EON515s? Apologies for thread jack but trying to figure out what speakers to buy. Criteria: powered, portable (though I don't gig mobile all the time and am not worried about stairs, etc), nice bass thump for 100+ people, around or less than $1500 a pair.

The main contenders are QSC K12s, EON515s. The Mackies were a top choice, too, but don't get very much love from you guys. I think I need to demo them all.
latindj 4:54 AM - 20 June, 2010
QSC > EON
Dj Pudgey 6:19 PM - 29 August, 2011
well I just found this posting and I can add my $0.02 worth.

I just djed a gig with 2 SRM450v1's as mains and the EV zxa1 as my monitor. As for the amplitude in db's for the gig needed the 450's were just fine, and as a monitor the EV did its job well. Since I could not reach the full potential in db's for the monitor, I took it home to give it a run for its money. At about 100 db's @1m, the cabnit did fine. at 105db's @1m, the woofer started to bottom out and distort. The cabinet sounds great and for small gigs like house parties or for monitors in your studio, they would work fine. If you need to play at high spls for more than 60 people, you may need a larger cabinet.

A good thing is that if you could add an eq and roll off at say 90-120hz, add a sub to the set up, it could be a really good way to go with a small rig that is light weight and highly portable.
JDforKing 2:32 AM - 30 August, 2011
Quote:
well I just found this posting and I can add my $0.02 worth.

I just djed a gig with 2 SRM450v1's as mains and the EV zxa1 as my monitor. As for the amplitude in db's for the gig needed the 450's were just fine, and as a monitor the EV did its job well. Since I could not reach the full potential in db's for the monitor, I took it home to give it a run for its money. At about 100 db's @1m, the cabnit did fine. at 105db's @1m, the woofer started to bottom out and distort. The cabinet sounds great and for small gigs like house parties or for monitors in your studio, they would work fine. If you need to play at high spls for more than 60 people, you may need a larger cabinet.

A good thing is that if you could add an eq and roll off at say 90-120hz, add a sub to the set up, it could be a really good way to go with a small rig that is light weight and highly portable.

I have a pair of ev zxa1 that i use as monitors and wanted to see how they sounded with one of my jbl prx 718s subs. I must say that i was extremely impressed (the ev zxa1 were crossed over) I could use that set up for a crowd of less than 100 people and be fine at wedding like volumes.
Dj Pudgey 8:01 PM - 8 September, 2011
After I used the EV's, I found out that they have a Roll Off stitch on the back for use with a sub. I used that when I need to push high SPL's so the woofer doesn't bottom out. Im going to pick up 5 of them in a few weeks. Now to find a good 12" sub to match!!
Joee 8:56 PM - 8 September, 2011
Quote:
After I used the EV's, I found out that they have a Roll Off stitch on the back for use with a sub. I used that when I need to push high SPL's so the woofer doesn't bottom out. Im going to pick up 5 of them in a few weeks. Now to find a good 12" sub to match!!

ev sb122 or sb2a
Dj Pudgey 10:55 PM - 15 September, 2011
EV SB2a looks like the way to go!!
DJ GaFFle 2:10 PM - 19 September, 2011
Quote:

+1... I had a chance to get a couple a long while ago for $800 (pair). I shoulda jumped on them. I always want just a lil extra bass at weddings than just 2 EV ZXa5's.
Joee 4:16 PM - 19 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

+1... I had a chance to get a couple a long while ago for $800 (pair). I shoulda jumped on them. I always want just a lil extra bass at weddings than just 2 EV ZXa5's.

you saying that 2 sb2a's go well with 2 zxa5's? do you run the zx5's in top mode or full range? or is it just for a little bass, cause theres no way 2 sb2a's will keep up with even 1 zxa5
JDforKing 6:46 PM - 19 September, 2011
How does the ev elx118p stand up against the 2 sb2a's. I just ordered one elx118p to add to my 2 zxa1 for smaller gigs and wondering what to expect. Joee i know you have lots of experience with all the ev speakers so chime in :).
Joee 7:02 PM - 19 September, 2011
Quote:
How does the ev elx118p stand up against the 2 sb2a's. I just ordered one elx118p to add to my 2 zxa1 for smaller gigs and wondering what to expect. Joee i know you have lots of experience with all the ev speakers so chime in :).

you can expect good sound! i haven't put my sb122's side by side with my elx118 so i can't compare the two, i'm sure you will be more than happy
pdidy 8:40 PM - 19 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

you saying that 2 sb2a's go well with 2 zxa5's? do you run the zx5's in top mode or full range? or is it just for a little bass, cause theres no way 2 sb2a's will keep up with even 1 zxa5

The key word is "wedding" . At wedding volumes the sb2as will work nicely with the ev zxa5. The point is to reduce the volume of the the zxa5 so that it works well with the sub, not the other way around.
Joee 9:08 PM - 19 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The key word is "wedding" . At wedding volumes the sb2as will work nicely with the ev zxa5. The point is to reduce the volume of the the zxa5 so that it works well with the sub, not the other way around.

i know that, i just wanted to see what he says, if it's a good combo i will be getting a pair
Mm3 11:36 PM - 19 September, 2011
Wow I posted more than a year ago and still going.... =)
btw, i ended up getting a pair of k8's and a hpr18 sub. more than enough for majority of my gigs. would love to get another pair of k8s in the future but not necessary right now...
DJ GaFFle 9:05 PM - 21 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yea, what he said.

I don't ever crank my ZXa5's up at weddings... that would be too much. I'd have the ZXa5's X'd-over at 100Hz (off the back) and the 2 SB2a's handling all the low end stuff for a nice and very full sound. The SB2a's are small enough to go under your typically draped DJ wedding table and be clustered for better bass response and dispersion. Placement of them would probably be venue and event dependent.
Joee 10:43 PM - 21 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yea, what he said.

I don't ever crank my ZXa5's up at weddings... that would be too much. I'd have the ZXa5's X'd-over at 100Hz (off the back) and the 2 SB2a's handling all the low end stuff for a nice and very full sound. The SB2a's are small enough to go under your typically draped DJ wedding table and be clustered for better bass response and dispersion. Placement of them would probably be venue and event dependent.

thinking about getting a pair to go with my x5's, but the price there selling for i may as well get the JBL VRX-918-SP
DJ GaFFle 1:27 PM - 22 September, 2011
Quote:

thinking about getting a pair to go with my x5's, but the price there selling for i may as well get the JBL VRX-918-SP

Made in USA... I'll get the EV's. The reason is mainly due to their very small size and light weight. I don't need an 80+ lb. sub; I've already got those.

Are you sure a JBL VRX918SP is in the same $ range as a pair of EV SB2a's? I would guess that the performance is not really a contest between them but portability and the ability to split a pair of SB2a's up would also lean me towards the EV's. For anyone just starting out and building their DJ system up from scratch, I wouldn't recommend them... I'd start with a 18" sub solution.
Joee 7:00 PM - 22 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Made in USA... I'll get the EV's. The reason is mainly due to their very small size and light weight. I don't need an 80+ lb. sub; I've already got those.

Are you sure a JBL VRX918SP is in the same $ range as a pair of EV SB2a's? I would guess that the performance is not really a contest between them but portability and the ability to split a pair of SB2a's up would also lean me towards the EV's. For anyone just starting out and building their DJ system up from scratch, I wouldn't recommend them... I'd start with a 18" sub solution.

the ev's seem to be selling for $800 a each, i can get the jbl for $1,300, it will give me better sound over all i think
dj_JM 7:19 PM - 22 September, 2011
Quote:
btw, i ended up getting a pair of k8's and a hpr18 sub. more than enough for majority of my gigs. would love to get another pair of k8s in the future but not necessary right now...

@Mm3
How many people or what's the typical venue size for the majority of your gigs?

I'm using 2x K8s and a KSUB and it's sufficient for 175ppl events, possibly 200ppl.
JDforKing 7:30 PM - 22 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

the ev's seem to be selling for $800 a each, i can get the jbl for $1,300, it will give me better sound over all i think

I got a sb2a for $399 a month a go to use with a pair of zxa1. I didn't like it as a stand alone so i sold it for the same price. You can definitely find a sb2a for cheaper than $800. I decided to go with a single elx118p to run with my 2 zxa1. Im hoping this set up gives me the sound im looking for to use for smaller events. For larger events ill run 2 rcf 312a and 2 jbl prx718s. I recently came to the conclusion that i should always use a dedicated sub. It really sounds better than not using one imo.
Joee 8:15 PM - 22 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1 sb2a won't cut it, thats why you not happy, 2 you might like

I got a sb2a for $399 a month a go to use with a pair of zxa1. I didn't like it as a stand alone so i sold it for the same price. You can definitely find a sb2a for cheaper than $800. I decided to go with a single elx118p to run with my 2 zxa1. Im hoping this set up gives me the sound im looking for to use for smaller events. For larger events ill run 2 rcf 312a and 2 jbl prx718s. I recently came to the conclusion that i should always use a dedicated sub. It really sounds better than not using one imo.
Joee 8:15 PM - 22 September, 2011
JDforKing 8:53 PM - 22 September, 2011
Quote:

I just got my elx 118p delivered. I hooked my 2 zxa1 and the sub up and the sound is great. I recently purchased a yorkville ls720 and really didn't like it so i sent it back. I definitely like the ll8p better with the zxa1 in sub mode. Great small sound system.
Mm3 9:47 PM - 22 September, 2011
Dj Jm.... between 150-250 ppl. on few occassions i've also use my back up system (passive jbl mr series w/qsc amp) along with the k8s and hpr, just to get a fuller sound all around but not necessarily needed, happened last weekend when the hotel banquet hall was literally L shaped. i always bring a passive set with me "just in case," depending on the venue (acoustics, high ceilings etc...) but most of the time the passive stays in the truck. i've also done several gigs (halls, clubhouses, smaller banquet halls) with just the k8s, no sub. k8s on deep mode hits pretty hard.....
Javier drada 11:33 PM - 4 October, 2011
I just ordered 2 K8's for $540 each, still hunting for a sub.
JDforKing 11:45 PM - 4 October, 2011
Quote:
I just ordered 2 K8's for $540 each, still hunting for a sub.

Get the ev sub elx 118p they have one at american musical supply for 520. I got one and should sound pretty good with the k8s for the price.
4mydawgz 3:25 PM - 2 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

@Mm3

I'm using 2x K8s and a KSUB and it's sufficient for 175ppl events, possibly 200ppl.

What kind of music do you play? I play dancehall, which a majority of the time is bass-heavy music. Does the Ksub thump?
dj_JM 3:53 PM - 2 November, 2011
Quote:
What kind of music do you play? I play dancehall, which a majority of the time is bass-heavy music. Does the Ksub thump?

Open format...but the majority of my gigs are weddings and corporate events. The sound works well in my current situation. But if all the guests start dancing or the number of guests increases (200ppl+), my current setup would not be sufficient.
DJ Ginger 3:57 PM - 2 November, 2011
Ksub is terrible for bass.. especially at high volumes, If youre serious about bass you're going to want to get the QSC KW181. They sound amazing for the price level
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:29 PM - 2 November, 2011
spend the money on the KW181. I just went from 2 Ksubs to one KW 181 and I am very very happy. I pretty much had to push the KSubs to the max where as the KW181 has bass to spare.
DJ Ginger 4:31 PM - 2 November, 2011
Pretty much. Im planning on buying two a side for when I do dubstep shows. I demoed one a side for a top 40 event and was more than pleased with how little I had to push them
pdidy 4:32 PM - 2 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

@Mm3

im a dancehall dj also an the K8s and KSUB are not for djs like us. they are best for wedding djs who want small systems and dont need it to be loud or bass heavy.
DJ GaFFle 10:23 PM - 2 November, 2011
Quote:
... K8s and KSUB are not for djs like us. they are best for wedding djs who want small systems and dont need it to be loud or bass heavy.

Jeez guys... if you're a new-to-the-game DJ looking at QSC speakers... take this advise, especially on the Ksub. DO NOT get the Ksub and expect to perform in school gymnasiums or for large crowds even if you use multiples of them.
DJ Dub Cowboy 11:00 PM - 2 November, 2011
The ksub is comparable to a 15" powered sub. It's got bass but it doesn't pound like an 18"
stefanmplayer 9:50 PM - 16 November, 2011
coming back to the main question:

I have worked with the SRM-450's (V1!!!), own ZX-A1's

as far as I can tell: do you want a really compact loudspeaker that can still pump out ''good'' quality sound at astonishing volume levels (compared to it's size) and you need an emphasis on vocals and the likes, the ZX-A1's are what you want to buy,

do you just want some serious SPL at an ''ok'' sound quality, go with the SRM-450's, given the fact that they are 12'' compared to ev's 8'' they will give you a little bit more low frequency

the qsc K8,K10,K12's seem to be yet another great choice, i've heard the K12's a little while ago and can tell you that these also are some very interesting speakers,

the choice is up to you but in my opinion, with EV and QSC you can't go wrong either way
Dj Pudgey 1:19 AM - 18 November, 2011
I just recently found an amazing deal on the K10's. for me size is an issue, 8 is the size I want but I like the sound of a 12, so 10 is a happy medium for me.
JDforKing 2:08 AM - 18 November, 2011
Quote:
I just recently found an amazing deal on the K10's. for me size is an issue, 8 is the size I want but I like the sound of a 12, so 10 is a happy medium for me.

Pudgey i have to agree, i bought a pair of rcf 310a for 360 a piece brand new and i must say that is the best bang for you buck you can find right now. The 10 is perfect.
Kadilac 11:37 AM - 19 November, 2011
I wish I was making big cash like you guys!

I'll stick to the B-52 Matrix 1000v2 and 2000...
Dj Pudgey 9:36 PM - 27 April, 2012
I know this thread has been chilling on ice for a bit, have you guys heard the new zx1 sub yet?
Joee 6:36 PM - 28 April, 2012
Quote:
I know this thread has been chilling on ice for a bit, have you guys heard the new zx1 sub yet?

i have them they sound good no bass thumping, they just round out the sound nicely
DJ Matthew Sol 2:02 AM - 8 May, 2012
Just heard the ZX1 Sub. Sweet little box for sub 50 pounds. Like Joee said, not a real thumping bass but really sounds clean and adds a little rum to the punch bowl....if you know what I mean. I'm selling my old JBL EON G1......and making the new ZXA1's my wedding ceremony production speakers. They are bad AZZZ for 19 pounds each!
DJ Ricky aka SikhDawg 8:07 AM - 21 May, 2012
Hey everyone... I had a question, been a little confused for my new setup.. i have been using passive c300 mackies for last 10 years but want to go the active way now. I bought the FBT Maxx 4a's really great speakers but I had a dj friend who borrowed and blew one speaker and doesn't want to agree on doing so anyhow I couldn't find replacement parts, so no more Italian speakers for me. Meanwhile I bought 2 Zxa1's just because they were small and I wanted something for monitors or small room parties. I used them first time for a small gig about 75 ppl with my jbl 18" powered sub, I was really scared and had my mackies ready in case, i was blown away with the sound never thought of them as something i would use as mains, then recently i had a chance to play them side by side with my mackie's Even though mackie had a more fuller sound I think EV's were crisper and louder.

So now for my main setup i was thinking 4 zxa1's and 4 zxa1-subs for crowds of 300 - 500 and for smaller events i would take 2 a1s and 1 or 2 subs depending on room size? any suggestions other contendors are

PRX by JBL
12" tops and xlf 18" bottom 2 each

QSC K12W and K181w again 2 each

or EV LiveX series.

ur thought?
DJ Matthew Sol 4:21 PM - 21 May, 2012
Quote:
Hey everyone... I had a question, been a little confused for my new setup.. i have been using passive c300 mackies for last 10 years but want to go the active way now. I bought the FBT Maxx 4a's really great speakers but I had a dj friend who borrowed and blew one speaker and doesn't want to agree on doing so anyhow I couldn't find replacement parts, so no more Italian speakers for me. Meanwhile I bought 2 Zxa1's just because they were small and I wanted something for monitors or small room parties. I used them first time for a small gig about 75 ppl with my jbl 18" powered sub, I was really scared and had my mackies ready in case, i was blown away with the sound never thought of them as something i would use as mains, then recently i had a chance to play them side by side with my mackie's Even though mackie had a more fuller sound I think EV's were crisper and louder.

So now for my main setup i was thinking 4 zxa1's and 4 zxa1-subs for crowds of 300 - 500 and for smaller events i would take 2 a1s and 1 or 2 subs depending on room size? any suggestions other contendors are

PRX by JBL

or EV LiveX series.

ur thought?

Hey Ricky,

I would strongly suggest TWO ELX-112P's for your main setup. I use my ZXA1's for ceremony and cocktail sound production. I will also use them wirelessly (with special gear) as satellite speakers to fill up a BIG banquet room.

The ELX-112P's are solid enough for weddings of up to 200 people without a SUB and up to 350 with a SUB. I have had mine for over a year now and get compliments on their sound all the time. My only real complaint is their design, while attractive, will make them looked heavily used in a short time if you are not careful with them....order protective covers and handle carefully.

As as alternative, RCF makes a mean speaker called the 312A that is quite impressive and the plastic cab makes it a little more road worthy and will hold up.
DJ Ricky aka SikhDawg 4:52 PM - 21 May, 2012
Hey Mathew, I dont want to buy italian because of bad service anyhow I might go towards ELX-112P's -what would u recommend for subs ... so for a party of 500-600 people u think 2 zxa1'a and 2 112's with subs would be sufficient for like a big ballroom.
JDforKing 5:30 PM - 21 May, 2012
Quote:
Hey Mathew, I dont want to buy italian because of bad service anyhow I might go towards ELX-112P's -what would u recommend for subs ... so for a party of 500-600 people u think 2 zxa1'a and 2 112's with subs would be sufficient for like a big ballroom.

Do you really think you can do a 500 to 600 person party with ev zxa1 as your tops. Come on thats not going to happen. I had a pair of those tops and sold them. They were good speakers but they couldnt have a party that size. You would need 4 elx 112ps tops and 4 subs to do a party that size, period.
pdidy 7:21 PM - 21 May, 2012
Quote:
You would need 4 elx 112ps tops and 4 subs to do a party that size, period.

True, this system would be the bear minimum you could get away with for 500-600 . But even this system would be it the RED LIMITS all night trying to keep up.
DJ Matthew Sol 7:31 PM - 21 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

True, this system would be the bear minimum you could get away with for 500-600 . But even this system would be it the RED LIMITS all night trying to keep up.

I agree with all of the above...going from 350 to 500 or 600 people is a lot of bodies in one room. I would not recommend tackling anything more than 450 people with 2 112P's and 2 ZXA1's with their matched subs. I use TWO Mackie's SWA 1501 subs for my larger events.

And I am assuming this would be a music type event...not just sound for mics and speaking.
pdidy 8:05 PM - 21 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree with all of the above...going from 350 to 500 or 600 people is a lot of bodies in one room. I would not recommend tackling anything more than 450 people with 2 112P's and 2 ZXA1's with their matched subs. I use TWO Mackie's SWA 1501 subs for my larger events.

And I am assuming this would be a music type event...not just sound for mics and speaking.

If showed up to gig more than 50 people with 2 ZXA1's with their matched subs, I'd be Fired on the spot......lol
Peoples idea of proper sound definitely varies greatly in certain regions.
Joee 8:19 PM - 21 May, 2012
i can speak on the sound the zx1's put out......i have done gig's for 100 to 200 people with two sb122 & two zx1 powered by a qsc 3002 with one sxa100+ to fill out the sound

it did the job very nice, i was at the limit of what the system could do, i had no more to give, but it worked.......not ideal......but it worked

------> www.mediafire.com
DJ Ricky aka SikhDawg 10:07 PM - 21 May, 2012
in that case what about 2 zxa1's for the sides of the ballroom where the tables are and for the center, next to the dance floor i put 2 elx112p tops with 2 elx118p subs.

btw wat do u guys think of 118p ?
Joee 10:15 PM - 21 May, 2012
do you have any of these speakers already? or are you buying all 6 speakers two 112p two 118p & two zxa1?

if you buying all six, please consider this one here two will be all you need

pricing-----> www.ebay.com

specs------> www.electrovoice.com
DJ Ricky aka SikhDawg 10:24 PM - 21 May, 2012
I already have zxa1's rest i will buy.

i looked into zxa5's but i would still need sub after spending 2600.
DJ Ricky aka SikhDawg 10:27 PM - 21 May, 2012
and there is no matching sub with this. And its open box so i dont know if i get full warranty.
Joee 11:01 PM - 21 May, 2012
they sound pretty good on there own

zxa5's hit so hard (NH) they sound as if you were using a sub, you can find them for $1,400 brand new
pdidy 11:16 PM - 21 May, 2012
Quote:
they sound pretty good on there own

zxa5's hit so hard (NH) they sound as if you were using a sub, you can find them for $1,400 brand new

And base on the fact that he wants to cover venues of 500-600 people, The ev zxa5 is the best choice.
Joee 12:13 AM - 22 May, 2012
^^^ i'll recommend the zxa5 all day every day to everyone, we know all to well the speaker is a beast, it's the best money i ever spent on a pair of speakers

but not everyone is willing to pay for them, they go qsc or jbl.......the saying is all to true "you get what you pay for" a pair of zxa5's might just be the LAST pair of speakers you'll ever buy
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:32 AM - 22 May, 2012
Quote:
a pair of zxa5's might just be the LAST pair of speakers you'll ever buy

Now THAT's EXACTLY how I like to shop...

Stay tuned...
Joee 12:37 AM - 22 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Stay tuned...

man johnny you been buying a pair for how long now?...........lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:48 AM - 22 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Stay tuned...

Man, I got kids goin' to college....

***sigh***
DJ Ricky aka SikhDawg 12:57 AM - 22 May, 2012
so u guys mean to say only 2 zxa5's would be enough for 500-600 ppl event.
Joee 1:06 AM - 22 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Stay tuned...

Man, I got kids goin' to college....

***sigh***

let them buy there own books.....BAM, theres your speaker money....LOL........ima stay tuned

Quote:

zxa5's are a amazing speaker
DJ Ricky aka SikhDawg 1:07 AM - 22 May, 2012
i got that they are amazing but are they that loud t cover 600 ppl
Joee 1:10 AM - 22 May, 2012
yes!
Joee 1:11 AM - 22 May, 2012
provided you have the hight enough
pdidy 1:11 AM - 22 May, 2012
Quote:

The 2 ev-zxa5 will be all you need for tops in a 500-600 person venue but you will still need good subs.
DJ GaFFle 1:12 AM - 22 May, 2012
Quote:

Hecks no. They're only 2-way tops.
DJ GaFFle 1:12 AM - 22 May, 2012
You need subs for party crowds playing dance music.
Joee 1:16 AM - 22 May, 2012
zxa5's are much better than what he wanted to do.....2 elx112p's 2 elx118p's & 2 zxa1's

yes the bass is there, but i have both 112p & 118p, i'll take the zxa5 any day of the week
DJ Ricky aka SikhDawg 1:23 AM - 22 May, 2012
well thats amazing to know that 2 speakers would be same as 4 tops and 2 subs. I might look into it.
Joee 1:28 AM - 22 May, 2012
Quote:
well thats amazing to know that 2 speakers would be same as 4 tops and 2 subs. I might look into it.

most dj's now a day use qsc k12's one zxa5 is louder than two k12's

as was mentioned you will need sub's, but the zxa5's bass pretty nice all buy them self
pdidy 1:33 AM - 22 May, 2012
Quote:

@ DJ Ricky aka SikhDawg, Whats your budget ? It cost alot of money to properly provide quality sound for 500-600 people. This is for the more pro level in sound, which is why most mobile djs cant or wont do it.

Maybe you need to start small with just the ev-zxa5s and build up as you earn money from gigs.
DJ Ricky aka SikhDawg 1:38 AM - 22 May, 2012
i dont wanna do over $4000
DJ Ricky aka SikhDawg 1:39 AM - 22 May, 2012
$3000 would be ideal
pdidy 2:47 AM - 22 May, 2012
Quote:
i dont wanna do over $4000

In my personal experience, you will need a budget of 6-7000 to properly cover 5-600. So like I said you may want to start small and build up.
DJ Ricky aka SikhDawg 4:56 AM - 22 May, 2012
I was talking to a friend and he told me a set of 112p and 118p (2 tops and 2 subs) should cover 400 ppl and a second same set would cover upto 700 ppl. I think i might go this round ( all this would cost me around 5k, which is still reasonable for 4 tops and 4 subs).. I dont want to get zxa5's cuz then i would be forced to take 50 lb speakers to event the smallest of gigs. and maintainance on such expensive speakers will cost a whole lot too, so i rather buy cheao and not worry. Thanks everyone
pdidy 6:40 AM - 22 May, 2012
Quote:
I was talking to a friend and he told me a set of 112p and 118p (2 tops and 2 subs) should cover 400 ppl and a second same set would cover upto 700 ppl. I think i might go this round ( all this would cost me around 5k, which is still reasonable for 4 tops and 4 subs).. I dont want to get zxa5's cuz then i would be forced to take 50 lb speakers to event the smallest of gigs. and maintainance on such expensive speakers will cost a whole lot too, so i rather buy cheao and not worry. Thanks everyone

come back and give us a review of how the system worked out.
skinnyguy 10:10 AM - 22 May, 2012
i don't like those elx series...

but do try to give the yamaha dx series a listen...
Joee 11:41 AM - 22 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

@ DJ Ricky aka SikhDawg, Whats your budget ? It cost alot of money to properly provide quality sound for 500-600 people. This is for the more pro level in sound, which is why most mobile djs cant or wont do it.

Maybe you need to start small with just the ev-zxa5s and build up as you earn money from gigs.

this is your best option, i have zxa5's cost me $1,300 brand new.....thats $2,600 for top, i also have jbl vrx918sp cost me $1,550

so for two tops & two subs cost me $5,700.....my system will crush 4 elx tops & subs
Joee 11:43 AM - 22 May, 2012
but like pdidy.........let us know how the two 12's & two 18's work out!
DJ Matthew Sol 2:30 PM - 22 May, 2012
As mentioned, I don't think 2 ELX 112P's and 2 ZXA1's with subs will be enough to handle the big 500-600 gig. Especially if you have to run so high that you thermal out...then what? May want to look into renting another pair of speakers (running six tops plus 2 subs)....i.e. 3 way cabinets or maybe even a set of QSC K12's in addition to your complete setup. There would be nothing worse than booking this event and not being able to deliver enough quality sound to fill the room. Please let us know what direction you take and how it turns out. Good Luck! PS...hope you don't think we are being negative with this input, I'm guessing the above responses....like me, are speaking from hands on experience!
DJ GaFFle 4:03 PM - 22 May, 2012
Quote:
As mentioned, I don't think 2 ELX 112P's and 2 ZXA1's with subs will be enough to handle the big 500-600 gig. Especially if you have to run so high that you thermal out...then what? May want to look into renting another pair of speakers (running six tops plus 2 subs)...

6 tops with only 2 subs? ...Sounds a little off balanced.

I'd rather run more subs and be selective with my tops, not a hodge-podge of 90 degree tops either, more like 60 or 75 degree units to prevent comb-filtering (frequency conflict and overlap). With the music and crowds most of us play for, you'll pretty much always need more bottom than top end sound, ie: more subs than tops.

As an owner, I can say the EV ELX115P's sound pretty decent, especially considering their price ($559 at GC with a price match). I can't speak for the ELX112P as I've never taken the time to listen to them. I wouldn't think of investing $5k on pro-audio speakers and settling for ELX118P's. I've heard them and they are not overly impressive. They have decent sound for the price but when it comes to doing the big gigs and expecting big sound, there are much better options out there (ie: JBL VRX918SP's, Yorkville LS801P's and USC1P's, JBL PRX618-XLF's, QSC KW181's, etc.) You'll get more sound from those with less units compared to the ELX118P; however, they do cost almost double in some cases BUT also have double the boOM (in some cases).
Joee 4:13 PM - 22 May, 2012
i say buy one of these-----> www.audiolines.com
& two of these--------------> www.ebay.com

than t puts you at $4,048.......you can than add the second sub when you have the extra cash, it's what i did, you will not be sorry about buying that rig, it's top level higher end gear that will blow most dj's rigs out of the water

you said $4,000 is you max budget, im sure you can find another $48
JDforKing 5:44 PM - 22 May, 2012
Within your price range of $4000 i think you could work with:

2 of these jbl prx 618 xlf www.ebay.com

4 of these rcf 312a www.ebay.com

This also makes your rig scalable. For larger gigs you could use more and for smaller gigs you use less. This isn't the best, but its quality for you budget. BTW, i've dealt with the rcf company here in the US and their customer service was great. Sent them a speaker to repair, and as the promised, there was a 10 day turn around.
Taipanic 5:49 PM - 22 May, 2012
For your $4k, I would reccomend:
2 EV ZXa5s
2 Yorkville LS801Ps (used, if needed).

That will give you decent, dancable, full sound for 3-500. You will find you could probably add a third or fourth sub and the EVs will keep up. The ZX1s would work great as back fill in a large room, ceremony/cocktail, and very small parties. I would probably still use 1 LS801p with them rather than the ZX1 Sub if I was playing dance music. I also would reccomend clustering the subs when possible.
Joee 6:14 PM - 22 May, 2012
that yorkville sub is another great choice, i always forget to recommend them cause i don't want to carry such a big sub
djaction 9:03 PM - 22 May, 2012
[quotethis is your best option, i have zxa5's cost me $1,300 brand new.....thats $2,600 for top, i also have jbl vrx918sp cost me $1,550

where the hell do you buy ZXA5's for $1,300 brand new?
pdidy 9:20 PM - 22 May, 2012
Quote:
[quotethis is your best option, i have zxa5's cost me $1,300 brand new.....thats $2,600 for top, i also have jbl vrx918sp cost me $1,550

@ pro audio star.....With a lil haggling and cash you can get very close to that # with free delivery an no tax depending on your state.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:00 PM - 22 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

@ pro audio star.....With a lil haggling and cash you can get very close to that # with free delivery an no tax depending on your state.

***Right Click*** Save As...
Joee 1:04 AM - 23 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

^^^^^ ;)

***Right Click*** Save As...
******sigh******

don't be right clicking saving as,CLICK add to cart CLICK proceed to checkout CLICK pay now ;)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:22 AM - 23 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Hold up...Cash, but they're in Brooklyn, so I would just take the trip....but don't they have them in stock? Cuz I'd just load the jawns up and roll out...

Plus the OPEN BOX is the one's listed at 1449.00.

Are you saying the NEVER BEEN OPEN JOINTS can be haggled down to the 1300?
monchi 1:32 AM - 23 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hold up...Cash, but they're in Brooklyn, so I would just take the trip....but don't they have them in stock? Cuz I'd just load the jawns up and roll out...

Plus the OPEN BOX is the one's listed at 1449.00.
This^^^Joee
Are you saying the NEVER BEEN OPEN JOINTS can be haggled down to the 1300?
Joee 1:33 AM - 23 May, 2012
^^ you don't want to take the trip if you pick up in store they will charge you tax, your in NJ right? you order & you will have them the very next day

open box for $1449....? heres on for $1299------> www.ebay.com
DJ Ricky aka SikhDawg 6:11 AM - 23 May, 2012
It seems like everyone here likes zxa5, I actually went and got 2 ev 112 and 2 118 will use them this weekend and let u guys know. It just didnt seem smart cost wise to buy 2 tops and one sub, plus even for my events for 300 ppl i would have to lug the same rig. I have been really confused for the past 2 weeks so before i went and bought the speakers i went to my repair guy he actually makes speakers too (smith audio) and spoke to him bout this setup, he told me this was better setup than k series except 181 was better than 118 which i figured. But in this case for smaller events of 200 - 250 i will be fine using 2 tops and 1 sub. 1 other thing i play at weddings in ballrooms and i get bass complaints while using 2 jbl jrx118sp, I think i will be fine with this and maybe after i sell my current gear i might buy 2 zxa5s, now i have 6 original italian mackie tops for sale c300, 2 fbt maxx4a's, 4 jbl jrx118sp's and 2 qsc 3402's Any takers?

Ricky
Joee 11:52 AM - 23 May, 2012
look forward to hearing your review....buy the way i also use live x speakers as well i think they sound great for there price point, but i think the 15 sound much fuller than the 12
monchi 9:21 PM - 23 May, 2012
This GUY right here ^^^^^^^^ is the MAN!!!! Props to you buddy.
Joee 9:50 PM - 23 May, 2012
Quote:

why am i the man?......did you get them?
Joee 9:52 PM - 23 May, 2012
o i see now, ;)
pdidy 11:06 PM - 23 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

why am i the man?......did you get them?

i remember he asked about the zxa5 + LS801p combination
monchi 11:15 PM - 23 May, 2012
pdiddy you were right about PAS and I'm on the west coast.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 stopping dicking around, do yourself a favor and call PAS, you will not regret it. Mang no one came close on price for either the zxa5 or the ls801pb. Damn right, skippy!
Joee 11:16 PM - 23 May, 2012
i see what he did, man why does that ls801p have to be so big & heavy, i would have bought 1 or 2.... i'm never gonna find a 70lbs or lighter sub

got me thinking about you saying you crossed over a zxa5 and used it like a sub, i'm gonna buy 4 more zxa5's to use 4 as subs and two for tops.......lol

i wonder how well this would work.........lol
Joee 11:18 PM - 23 May, 2012
Quote:
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 stopping dicking around, do yourself a favor and call PAS, you will not regret it. Mang no one came close on price for either the zxa5 or the ls801pb. Damn right, skippy!

i try to tell people proaudiostar is where its at, but nobody want's to here it, they would rather shop at agi & spend more money
monchi 11:50 PM - 23 May, 2012
Jojo or pdidy can't find the warranty on these speakers. Went on EV.com and I can't find any warranty info. Guess I'm gonna have to call EV. Can it be that maybe it is through BOSCH.COM since they manufacture the speaker.
Joee 12:45 AM - 24 May, 2012
let me look at my paper work, stand by
Joee 12:48 AM - 24 May, 2012
5 years my paper work says
Joee 12:52 AM - 24 May, 2012
heres the warranty info-----> www.mediafire.com
DJ GaFFle 1:15 AM - 24 May, 2012
Quote:
5 years my paper work says

Hot damn! I thought it was 3 years... More reassurance that I made a great decision buying them.

I've got a DJ friend who bought a pair of ELX115P's as a start to rebuilding his sound system. I know he does large gigs (500+) at times and he's in it for the long haul but his funds aren't unlimited. I'm trying to get him to go for something like the LS801P's for the sort of sound and coverage he's looking for.
DJ GaFFle 1:32 AM - 24 May, 2012
Anybody in Montreal want a demo model ZXa5 for $499? www.ebay.ca
canicypher 1:40 AM - 24 May, 2012
Quote:

That'd be worth the 6 hr trip if it were a pair at $500/each....and they weren't too beat up (this one, cosmetically, looks good)
Joee 1:51 AM - 24 May, 2012
Quote:

it has a 14 day return!
Certified Quality Entertainment 2:32 AM - 24 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

i try to tell people proaudiostar is where its at, but nobody want's to here it, they would rather shop at agi & spend more money

No PAS for me as I live in my. Sales tax on large purchases add up really quick! Lol. I usually find better deals elsewhere for that reason alone.
Certified Quality Entertainment 2:32 AM - 24 May, 2012
My = NY. Damn auto correct
pdidy 2:46 AM - 24 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No PAS for me as I live in my. Sales tax on large purchases add up really quick! Lol. I usually find better deals elsewhere for that reason alone.

Yea its fuked up if u in NY an im 10 min away from them, I got a new jersey delivery address just for that reason. Fuck tax
canicypher 2:47 AM - 24 May, 2012
^ make friends with someone right over the NJ border :) worked for me.

I see the 516 area code. I'm in nassau county also. If you are ordering a G or more worth of stuff then it's worth the short trip..
canicypher 2:48 AM - 24 May, 2012
Quote:
Yea its fuked up if u in NY an im 10 min away from them, I got a new jersey delivery address just for that reason. Fuck tax

ah u slipped that in right b4 me (nh/nm)...but yeah, that's the trick
pdidy 2:56 AM - 24 May, 2012
Quote:
i see what he did, man why does that ls801p have to be so big & heavy, i would have bought 1 or 2.... i'm never gonna find a 70lbs or lighter sub

got me thinking about you saying you crossed over a zxa5 and used it like a sub, i'm gonna buy 4 more zxa5's to use 4 as subs and two for tops.......lol

i wonder how well this would work.........lol

I would love a 70lb sub if if could put out 130db, until then nope ...im spoiled an cant deal with the trade off.
Certified Quality Entertainment 1:55 PM - 24 May, 2012
Quote:
^ make friends with someone right over the NJ border :) worked for me.

I see the 516 area code. I'm in nassau county also. If you are ordering a G or more worth of stuff then it's worth the short trip..

I did that when I got my rcf subs. Drove to the warehouse to pick them up. Saved over $100 in shipping on top of the great deal I already got.
Certified Quality Entertainment 1:56 PM - 24 May, 2012
Where are u in nassau. I grew up in lynbrook but live in holtsville now.
canicypher 3:26 AM - 25 May, 2012
check your PM
monchi 11:53 PM - 25 May, 2012
Well placing my order next week for (2) zxa5s @PAS. Now my only decision is to either get the ls801PB for $1249x4 (NEW) or hold out and get (2) Yorkville LS2100P!!!!!! Dang decisions decisions.
Thanks Joee and pdiddy.
Joee 11:44 AM - 26 May, 2012
;) i would use the 801pb my self if it wasn't so heavy, great output, now if you have no problem hauling the bigger ls2100p witch i think is the same speaker with a 21 inch drive, than bay all means get it

got luck, be sure to let us know what you think of that rig
DJ GaFFle 2:53 PM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:
Well placing my order next week for (2) zxa5s @PAS. Now my only decision is to either get the ls801PB for $1249x4 (NEW) or hold out and get (2) Yorkville LS2100P!!!!!! Dang decisions decisions.
Thanks Joee and pdiddy.

It doesn't seem like the LS2100P is worth it to me considering the specs. It is 4dB SPL louder at peak ((( but ))) close to 70 lbs. heavier at 203 lbs. Both subs go as low as 45Hz at +- 3dB... you'd expect a 21" driver to go even lower than the 18" so where's the big advantage(s)?

You can scale that 137 lb sub depending on the size of your gig. Lugging 203 lbs. around is no joke.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:23 PM - 26 May, 2012
QUESTION!!!!

Can you corner load POWERED subs, and have them still the same sound effect as having passive subs corner loaded?

I ask because the passive ones in a particular corner are most often driven by the same amp in a parallel hookup...

Since we're talking "Powered" subs, there are separate amps to deal with...

I know Pdidy knows....
pdidy 9:33 PM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:
Can you corner load POWERED subs, and have them still the same sound effect as having passive subs corner loaded?

Absolutely, powered speakers receive the same benefits in regards to speaker placement as passive. The fact that they are individually powered has no effect what so ever. Quite often passive speakers are powered by multiple amps and even different models but this too has no negative affect.
canicypher 4:32 PM - 27 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Absolutely, powered speakers receive the same benefits in regards to speaker placement as passive. The fact that they are individually powered has no effect what so ever. Quite often passive speakers are powered by multiple amps and even different models but this too has no negative affect.

Be careful with active subs that aren't fan cooled. When corner loading active subs that aren't fan cooled it increases the risk of thermal shut downs/overheating. Try to add a small fan ESP if you know you are gonna be pushing the subs or it's a big crowd.
pdidy 6:45 PM - 27 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Be careful with active subs that aren't fan cooled. When corner loading active subs that aren't fan cooled it increases the risk of thermal shut downs/overheating. Try to add a small fan ESP if you know you are gonna be pushing the subs or it's a big crowd.

what sub in particular did you have this issue with ?
canicypher 11:09 PM - 29 May, 2012
Well, it was meant as a general precaution. The heat sink won't be able to draw away adequate heat if the air around it is just as hot. Along the same line of thought as keeping them out of direct sunlight. If the heat sink is getting too hot from a source other then the amp, then it's not doing it's job of drawing away heat from the amp....Then the risk is increased. Not definite that it over heats or will shut down every time...but there is an increased risk to consider. I usually add a small fan behind the subs anyway, regardless if they are being corner loaded or not, just a peace of mind thing for me.

I do remember this coming up before (placement of active speakers and ventilation) in the forum but don't really remember where...maybe with the first prx635? issues..
Joee 11:22 PM - 29 May, 2012
^^^^^^^ www.djmb.net
canicypher 12:03 AM - 30 May, 2012
^^ ah, yep..
pdidy 7:44 AM - 30 May, 2012
When corner loading a sub it should be standard practice or just common sense to provide adequate space for ventilation. This by no means will affect the benefits of corner loading. Now if you're required to bring your own fan or build a bootleg fan on to your speaker under normal operation conditions....... then this is simply a POORLY DESIGNED speaker. You should never be concerned about your speakers overheating under normal conditions.

Most of the overheating discussion started with the jbl PRX600 line which jbl likely has fixed at this point. Some of these issues were also USER ERROR, for example some djs like to hide their subs under their tables covered by skirts which completely cut off all air circulation causing the sub to overheat and fail. Some people failed to admit this lil detail.....smh
pdidy 8:13 AM - 30 May, 2012
Quote:
^^^^^^^ www.djmb.net

I admit he did a great job with the fan modification but he should never have had to....

he says...."The next day I called JBL about my problem and they said the speakers needed more air circulation or else it will shutdown otherwise you need to get a small 5in house fan."
Oh hell no, I would have sent them rite the fuck back...lol

BTW , if you read his "issue" , he basically admits to over driving the speakers into the RED LIMITS and continued to turn the mixer up even louder.....smh..lol.

So I would call this user error and poor speaker design. A Bad combination.....
canicypher 2:44 PM - 30 May, 2012
Quote:
.."The next day I called JBL about my problem and they said the speakers needed more air circulation or else it will shutdown otherwise you need to get a small 5in house fan."
Oh hell no, I would have sent them rite the fuck back...lol

^^ agreed! Totally unacceptable for a company to tell you this!

Quote:
Most of the overheating discussion started with the jbl PRX600 line which jbl likely has fixed at this point.

I know this was mostly a bad batch of speakers from JBL but somewhere in that discussion there were some tangents about general speaker placement..or so i think i remember lol

Quote:
some djs like to hide their subs under their tables covered by skirts which completely cut off all air circulation causing the sub to overheat and fail

Agreed again, but could corner loading POTENTIALLY cause the same conditions....that's all i'm saying lol.
canicypher 10:06 PM - 30 May, 2012
Taipanic 7:11 PM - 31 May, 2012
Corner loading will definetely increase the SPL but I prefer to cluster the subs in front of the dance floor. It increases the bass where you need it most, without blowing away everyone else.
If you're using the LS801s, you must be in a pretty big room if you feel the need to corner load them - they already go very loud and are boomy enough as it is.
DJ HD2 4:41 AM - 25 October, 2012
I just bought two EV ZXA1. I cannot say enough good things about this speaker. However, this speaker is not a good full rang speaker. There is a reason they came out with a 12inch Companion for the ZXA1, because it does not reproduce mid/low bass at high spl. It is a great speaker. When you are listening to the speaker you cannot hear a difference between the horn and the woofer. The speaker comes across as "smooth." I like this, sum may not. I took my speaker up to guitar center and compared it to the Alto Ts-110A. I had both speakers in the same room with the same track and same mixer. The alto comes across as "crisper". The horn in the alto stands out from the woofer. I have not made up my mind on which speaker I prefer. I think EV's products are 100 times more pleasing aesthetically. The speakers have very similar bass reproduction. I love both speakers, but I am thinking about adding some Alto Professional TS-110As to my gear. I figure I can always have a back up, and decide which speaker I like more, at a latter time. You can get two Alto TS110A for the price of one ZXA1. I'm telling you they are both good products, but the TS110A has a more aggressive horn.
DJ GaFFle 7:51 AM - 25 October, 2012
Those Alto's have the sizzle sounding highs to me. Not a quality sounding speaker in my opinion and their low cost qualifies this. I agree with you on the aesthetics and smoothness of the ZXa1. They're not meant for large full-range sound... they're meant for convenience and smaller purpose sound needs.
stefanmplayer 2:14 PM - 4 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

PRX by JBL

or EV LiveX series.

ur thought?

Hey Ricky,

I would strongly suggest TWO ELX-112P's for your main setup. I use my ZXA1's for ceremony and cocktail sound production. I will also use them wirelessly (with special gear) as satellite speakers to fill up a BIG banquet room.

The ELX-112P's are solid enough for weddings of up to 200 people without a SUB and up to 350 with a SUB. I have had mine for over a year now and get compliments on their sound all the time. My only real complaint is their design, while attractive, will make them looked heavily used in a short time if you are not careful with them....order protective covers and handle carefully.

As as alternative, RCF makes a mean speaker called the 312A that is quite impressive and the plastic cab makes it a little more road worthy and will hold up.

i have to say, either you ?USA? guys are used to a whole lot less ''noise in a room'' or you like to push equipment to it's operating limits, 4 a1's and 4 zxa1 subs are surely a nice system, got a1's myself but for crowds up to 500 people here in the southern netherlands i wouldn't be suprised to see (for example) 4 L'acoustics SB-28's with 3 Arcs top cabs a side! (or similar sized systems of any other brand)

I find it interesting to see such differences between 2 continents ;)
Dj Pudgey 4:56 AM - 28 November, 2012
Just to let everyone on in this thread know, I picked up a pair of k12's, and I'm totally satisfied on my purchase.
dj_soo 7:53 AM - 28 December, 2012
bringing this thread back as I'm interested in getting a pair of small-size powered speakers to either use at small parties (w/ sub) or as satellites for larger venues, or as monitors for my current rig (2 K12s, 2 Yorkville LS701Ps).

The pricing of EVs is very attractive but the coverage and power on the K8s still seems a cut above. Consider that I will rarely max them (although for some dance parties, I may push them as monitors) I'm still edging to the EVs...

There are now a few more competitors on the market too tho so just wondering what people are thinking in terms of the RCF ART 408As or the Yamaha DXR8s...
DJ GaFFle 2:24 PM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
bringing this thread back as I'm interested in getting a pair of small-size powered speakers to either use at small parties (w/ sub) or as satellites for larger venues, or as monitors for my current rig (2 K12s, 2 Yorkville LS701Ps).

The pricing of EVs is very attractive but the coverage and power on the K8s still seems a cut above. Consider that I will rarely max them (although for some dance parties, I may push them as monitors) I'm still edging to the EVs...

There are now a few more competitors on the market too tho so just wondering what people are thinking in terms of the RCF ART 408As or the Yamaha DXR8s...

The only thing that would lean me towards the ZXa1's would be the fact my other powered tops are mostly EVs. I would actually go for the RCF HD10's or the 408A's. I really felt the ZXa1's were lacking in comparison to the K8's. I was disappointed in the comparison and EV as I felt they should have been stellar like their bigger brother ZXa5's.
JDforKing 3:19 PM - 28 December, 2012
i have a pair of rcf hd 10-a and a yamaha dxr8 (used as a monitor and wedding ceremonies). The hd10's are about $150 more than the yamaha dxr8. They are much louder, but for an addition to a rig or monitor i would go with the yamaha dxr8. Definitely a great bang for your buck. You can find the yamaha for as low as $499.
skinnyguy 2:53 PM - 29 December, 2012
Yamahas sound nice. And price is nice too.