DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Warping for dummies in Ableton 8 and The Bridge

Phil Anthony 2:19 AM - 15 January, 2010
With the announcement of The Bridge (Ableton/Serato collaboration) I thought it would be cool to start a warping for dummies thread that is specific to Ableton 8 because:

1. It looks like nicely warped tracks/loops/samples will be crucial to take full advantage of The Bridge.
2. I can't get it right and I have watched many many vids on you tube and spent hours trying to figure it out.
3. I am a dummy but I can't be the only one.

So let's tap our resources and help each other nail warping before The Bridge releases so we can all tap into new levels of creativity with our performance.
casket hands 2:43 AM - 15 January, 2010
so for computer made tracks, how much do you really need to go through the track and line up the warp markers.

for acapellas, I have no idea how to get these to sound right. any tips?
DJMaytag 2:45 AM - 15 January, 2010
warp the acapellas to the correct tempo (of the file) before your gig, then Ableton will be able to speed it up or slow it down in tempo the same way as the acapella would be using Ableton only.
casket hands 2:47 AM - 15 January, 2010
thats what I'm wondering, how do you find the warp markers on a track with no beat?
terrible1fi 2:51 AM - 15 January, 2010
warping is very straighforward
watch this vid
Watchwww.youtube.com

to lyrics, I find the trick is to find where the downbeat of the lyrics is, set that as 1, and warp from there. and if that's not exactly right you can make manual adjustments
casket hands 2:54 AM - 15 January, 2010
every time I try to move the gris around the vocals to find what I feel should be the down beat I get the first half of the some timestretched to go double speed and then the second half out of time with a drum loop.
DJMaytag 2:55 AM - 15 January, 2010
Quote:
thats what I'm wondering, how do you find the warp markers on a track with no beat?

you'll have to use the lyrics that line up with the "beat" (where there would be one if it wasn't an acapella). it'll take some experimentation though, but you ought to be able to do it without a ton of trouble.
Phil Anthony 3:58 AM - 15 January, 2010
I think one of the problems I have is that I play a ton of funk and disco and it would be so dope to have this stuff properly warped. Some of the newer stuff I play is quantized but most move around tempo wise. But admittedly I've even had trouble properly warping house tracks.
Marty Mcfly 4:12 AM - 15 January, 2010
warping is definitley easier in 8 than prev versions
djtripp 5:04 AM - 15 January, 2010
for vocals on sequenced music (i.e. anything quantized like current dance, pop and hip-hop) it's best if you know the BPM of the original song. You then set your first marker at the beginning of your acapella. I then right click or ctrl click the marker and choose "warp from here straight". Then set the tempo of the vocals to the original tracks BPM.

The biggest problem is that it may speed or slow later on as the track may "drift" a hair. At which point I put another marker when needed then drag an "un-marked number after that to adjust the tempo a hair. Repeat if necessary.

Any more hints, hit me up.
Marty Mcfly 7:05 AM - 15 January, 2010
for music that is quantized and produced with software or drum machines, ive found that
more than likely all i have to do is correct the first marker "1.1.1" to start at the first downbeat, and then skip all the way to the end of the track and add a warp marker closest to a kick and make a slight adjustment to line it up accordingly. you'll see all the other markers line up to the kicks and snares as well. so you only have to create two markers.

this wont work with vinyl rips due to drift on the turntable while recording. and also wont work with music with live drummers.
casket hands 7:17 AM - 15 January, 2010
Nice. I've had good luck with five or six tracks right clicking on the first kick and hitiing set 1.1.1 here and then warp straight.

I had one track that I lined up completely that would only play out of time with another drum loop I made to line everything up. It wouldn't let me up the tempo above 124. Serato told me the song's tempo was 123. Not sure how to speed it up because all the other tracks I added lined up automatically. I tried to manually change the tracks bmp but as I said 124 was as high as it would go.
Marty Mcfly 7:53 AM - 15 January, 2010
wow never seen that one before. is the clip set to master tempo by any chance?
see www.beatmixed.com
beatdown 8:01 AM - 15 January, 2010
I have Live 8 but haven't warped many pure acapellas - in response to OP and others, does anyone know if it is possible to "copy/paste" the markers from a warped track onto another track? If so, possible to warp the instrumental then paste markers onto acapella?
Marty Mcfly 11:42 AM - 15 January, 2010
copy/paste markers doesnt seem to work in 8 any more, but this video shows how you can warp multiple tracks simultaneously.
Marty Mcfly 11:43 AM - 15 January, 2010
oh yeah.. heres the link =) Watchwww.youtube.com
sweetL 11:52 AM - 15 January, 2010
Quote:
oh yeah.. heres the link =) Watchwww.youtube.com

'way to go mcfly'

actually, seriously, yeah, good man!
DJ Latino 12:18 PM - 15 January, 2010
Here are some of my tip's that I use when I warp Salsa where most people say you cant warp latin music ;-)
First start in ableton with the BPM of the Track you like to warp
Find the first Beat and set it as 1.1.1 then warp from here (Warpmode I use is Beat not complex or complexpro)
now I use a beat or the metronom to check the marker
Jump forward and try to find a spot where the song start drifting
If not ...ready for the next one
If so set your marker to the beat correct and then do a warp from here again.
Only on some songs I need to use warpmode other then Beat.
The reason why I use Beat is it dosnt need much cpu power
I can run 4 beats and mix with 4 Decks (I call it so :-) on a cpu with 3 to 5 % usage
Hope that help someone.
Ableton, Support
jesseterry 12:34 PM - 15 January, 2010
Here's a little lesson on warping:
www.jethroe.com
DJ Latino 12:47 PM - 15 January, 2010
Welcome to the first Ableton Mod here :-) and thanks for the link.
djemkay 1:31 PM - 15 January, 2010
i was awaiting to see some ableton mods nice
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:50 PM - 15 January, 2010
Quote:
www.jethroe.com

WOW..an ablemod
Black Science 3:25 PM - 15 January, 2010
Welcome Jesse ;-)
ancientyouth 4:06 PM - 15 January, 2010
whoa things are going to get interesting now ......
Cid K 4:32 PM - 15 January, 2010
Wooohooooo an Ableton Mod Hurray :-D

Welcome Jesse :-D
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:34 PM - 15 January, 2010
Awesome thread. This feature was the main reason I ditched my old production software and started using ableton years ago. I love that program.
Cid K 4:38 PM - 15 January, 2010
Yup totally agree with you Chad, that was also my main reason for switching from Logic to Ableton.

I still use from time to time Logic but GOD knows how much i love Ableton.
freshtodeath 4:41 PM - 15 January, 2010
I suck at warping, need more practice
Cid K 4:42 PM - 15 January, 2010
It get's very very easy and simple once you get the hang of it trust me :-)
powercut 4:48 PM - 15 January, 2010
whats the difference between complex, complex pro, beat mode etc?
and are there advantages and disadvantages of each?
i generally have it set to complex but don't really know why!
Cid K 5:26 PM - 15 January, 2010
Those are for the timestrech engin..
DJ Latino 5:53 PM - 15 January, 2010
Complex and Complex pro are normal for songs with not so much beats or bass in it and they are cpu hungry.
Beat is if you have a drum line or clear beat line in the sample and use not much cpu.
Cid K 6:15 PM - 15 January, 2010
Yeah the more timestrech it needs to more CPU power it will chew on.
T1 7:08 PM - 15 January, 2010
If you guys need any beta testers I own Ableton Suite 8 and ITCH (NS7).... I would love to test out The Bridge! Great work and I cannot wait to play with it. Thanks!
casket hands 7:16 PM - 15 January, 2010
heres a Q for the experience guys. how do I make it so all my clips launch on the same 8 count?
jprime 7:19 PM - 15 January, 2010
Quote:

for acapellas, I have no idea how to get these to sound right. any tips?

Generally I use complex mode, set a small loop from the beginning of the aca, and work my way through the vocal with the metronome on, moving the loop as I work through it.
If anyone has a faster workflow I'd like to hear it.
DJ Latino 7:22 PM - 15 January, 2010
@casket hands
depend on what all my clips is ?
You can use the Clip automation or you use the Bar on top of ableton where you can set the timing for starting clips and start them on your own.
Cid K 7:51 PM - 15 January, 2010
Yeah correct, if you want to start as soon as you press start set Bar at 1.
DJMaytag 7:54 PM - 15 January, 2010
Quote:
heres a Q for the experience guys. how do I make it so all my clips launch on the same 8 count?

scene launch, in ableton its the buttons all the way to the right.
dj_soo 8:10 PM - 15 January, 2010
actually this is one of the features about Mixtape that I'm stoked about.

I hate warping acapellas in ableton and sometimes just end up pitch-riding the acapella on the decks. Being able to do that directly into an abelton file will be a godsend.

for un-quantized beats, there's really no solution other than to go in there and drop a ton of markers.

However, you want to be careful - i find warping every beat will make the track sound a little over-warped and you lose the groove and feel of a live drummer
jprime 8:11 PM - 15 January, 2010
soo, isn't there a setting you can apply to give it more of a live feel? I thought there was some groove button or something.

lol, maybe I dreamed it.
T1 8:20 PM - 15 January, 2010
In Live 8, you can apply a grooves and even extract them from other tracks. It adds that "live feel". Also, Ableton comes preloaded with a bunch of default grooves you apply and mess around with. They have a free 30 day trial, so check it out if you do not have a copy.

Also, there is some great hardware for working with Live. I have an APC40 and love it.
T1 8:21 PM - 15 January, 2010
This link explains the groove engine better than me :)

audio.tutsplus.com
jprime 8:22 PM - 15 January, 2010
Yeah I thought there was something...

...looking at that upcoming apc20. Nice little unit right there :)

an extra 15 - 17 inch monitor that I can clip onto my stand would be nice too.
The New Guy 10:18 PM - 15 January, 2010
Quote:
www.jethroe.com

*clap clap clap* Welcome!
Cid K 5:40 AM - 16 January, 2010
We might know abit more info's on The Bridge after tomorow, since theres the Serato/Ableton Trowdown tomorow. Maybe they got a few last treasur up their sleeves.

www.ableton-serato.com
valdini 6:45 AM - 16 January, 2010
Quote:
www.jethroe.com

Hi Jethroe...Great tip btw.

Off topic: Is there any chance that you can adapt your 'Mastering Chain' to work on Live7...would love to try this out as have not got a clue on mastering/compression etc other than basic levels.

Would come in handy for tightening up my edits for sure!

Cheers,

K
Eric N 5:14 PM - 9 August, 2010
Ableton noob question:

I am finally starting to figure out warping and got a short demo mix tracked out in Session View. I tried to export it to .wav and it only exported the first track. How do I export the whole mix? Do I have to record it internally first? I tried to start a new audio track and record there, but the audio is coming in all distorted and clipping. How do I fix this?

Thanks in advance!
The Return of Dj Sparky 5:49 PM - 9 August, 2010
so how is thr bridge comming on is it in release candidate yet?
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:06 PM - 9 August, 2010
Quote:
so how is thr bridge comming on is it in release candidate yet?

youll prob see a public beta LOONG before a RC is released
DJMANICO 9:53 PM - 9 August, 2010
Check Open Labs
Watchwww.youtube.com
djdalite 10:42 PM - 9 August, 2010
damn that link was sweet, kinda helped me a bit

now im starting to see how transition tracks can be made
Serato
Sean.C 12:47 AM - 10 August, 2010
Quote:
www.jethroe.com

Greetings Jesse, fancy seeing you here ;)

s
beatdown 4:42 AM - 11 August, 2010
Quote:
Ableton noob question:

I am finally starting to figure out warping and got a short demo mix tracked out in Session View. I tried to export it to .wav and it only exported the first track. How do I export the whole mix? Do I have to record it internally first? I tried to start a new audio track and record there, but the audio is coming in all distorted and clipping. How do I fix this?

Thanks in advance!

I believe if you drag the loop brackets it will export whatever is between them. When I tack out a mix I export separate tracks this way
beatdown 4:44 AM - 11 August, 2010
* track
Dax 7:53 AM - 11 August, 2010
Quote:
Awesome thread. This feature was the main reason I ditched my old production software and started using ableton years ago. I love that program.

yep me too.
Childz Play 12:12 AM - 29 September, 2011
To warp an acapella correctly set the 1.1.1 where the very first beat of that song would be (use the actual track for reference). Then move down 8 bars at a time checking if the whole number you land one has a beat on it. if not then create a yellow warp marker on the nearest beat and drag it so it lines up with the whole number. Use the actual track as reference the whole time you do this!! and repeat this step every 8 bars until u finish warping. Hope that helps!
ancientyouth 3:41 AM - 29 September, 2011
also select warp mode - complex
DJ Memetic 9:58 PM - 21 February, 2013
Hey folks - I have a question: Does anyone have any tips for warping clips in a mixtape session? For example, if I don't like the way I performed a mix because it goes off a bit, are there examples of techniques for warping that will enable me to being things back into step? This is the main appeal of mixtape for me, and I'm having trouble getting this part right.

Thanks!
dj_soo 3:33 AM - 22 February, 2013
mixtape doesn't snap to a grid - you basically have to go in and warp the waveform as close to the other track as you can if you're trying to fix drifts.

Basically, stack the two tracks above each other, zoom in, and line up the transients so they're directly in sync.