DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Revo 4 Set Up Help

Zero Day 5:50 PM - 24 December, 2009
Hey.
Just got a Revo 4 a few days ago. This is my first light.
Have a couple questions.
1: How to turn the unit off. I don't see a power switch so do you just unplug it?
2: When i have "sund" or sound mode where it goes to the music, it only lasts a few min then cuts out. How do i get it to last through a whole gig? And to be able to change the displaces you have to click the up or down arrow on the back. Is there any way to get it to do this by it's self?
3: I don't have DMX yet but are all the other folders besides sound activate used for and by DMX?

Thxx
Zero Day 10:39 PM - 24 December, 2009
1: Thats what i was thinking.
2: My music stayes turned up and it just goes off.
lakecharlesdjs 10:59 PM - 24 December, 2009
1.Just unplug it or if you need control during an event and the light is close, you could maybe access the blackout feature. Menu>BLAD or BLND?>OFF

2.Check the sensitivity knob on the back and turn it up and make sure it's in Sound or Audio and not Auto. MENU>Soun>on

3. It doesn't seem to have selectable patterns or colors like the VUE does so you'll have go DMX to really control it. I recommend a cheap controller (DJ supply has an ADJ controller for $109) or DMX Software if you can afford it.
Zero Day 10:40 PM - 25 December, 2009
Yup i have it on Sund (sound mode) and click enter and it flashes "on" or "off"
leave it flashing "on' but nothing happenes.
ernie 2:47 AM - 26 December, 2009
dip switch
Zero Day 3:21 AM - 26 December, 2009
Dip switch?
Discobee 12:45 AM - 27 December, 2009
Most DJ lighting won't have a power switch on the unit itself. That's because lighting is meant to be controlled by a power controller or DMX controller. I use this one for my mobile gigs: ultrax4.com

It's not DMX but it gives me individual power control of my lights. I like to use sound active mode with my lights. For the Revo 4, make sure you are in SOUN mode. Does anything happen when you tap on the mic of the unit? When you're playing your music loud, is there some bass to it? Lights in sound active mode react better to low frequencies.
Zero Day 2:17 AM - 27 December, 2009
Yea it reacts to the music fine for a few minuts then randomly cuts off.
and i also want to be able to change the patterns (12 diffrent types i think) but is the only way to manually do it by hitting the up or down arrow on the back?
Zero Day 9:56 PM - 4 January, 2010
stil having the problem
the music is turned on
bass is up
light doesnt do anything
soun > on
...help??
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:01 PM - 4 January, 2010
did it come with any kind of instructions?
Zero Day 10:22 PM - 4 January, 2010
ya but they dont answer my questions
called them up to.. usless. guy was chattin with someone n was tryin to get me off the phone so they usless.
so i put it in Shnd mode. and it has 0-12 for diff patterns. io put it on 0 so its random and changes. the screen flashes Sh 0. about 2 min into doin it thing it jus stopes and shows the numbers 7871.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:24 PM - 4 January, 2010
sounds like your revo is defective www.djforums.com ...that or you dj so bad that......nah forget ti its defective
Zero Day 10:25 PM - 4 January, 2010
shit... you sure???
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:27 PM - 4 January, 2010
as sure as someone who dosent own one, has never seen one, but has googled the error and found and posted the link to a forum page discussing the EXACT same situation with that as an answer
Zero Day 10:29 PM - 4 January, 2010
ya just read it..
damnit..
now i gotta pay to ship it back.. and wait. and possibly miss a gig cuz i have one that they wanted lights for and this is the only one i have so far (new to lights)
azteca promotions 6:53 PM - 18 March, 2011
hey DJ ELL i was in the same problem till i discovered something for being lazy hahahaha i was trying for the fifth time to set up the light till i give up and i was listening some music in my pc, then the light (that i left plugged) begun to work lol this was because it takes a few minutes after you stop messing around with the menu then it exits and start working the set up im usig is set to sound mode active, set to master and about the shows you can set anyone from 0 to 12 all of them will work, there are a lot of diferents patterns tha will work randomly, if you want to control what show or pattern you want to set as the one you want to show i guess you will need the dmx controller
PTPluto 1:50 AM - 30 March, 2011
Hi I just got a Revo 4 and had some trouble getting the sound mode to work properly. Make sure that the LED setting is "off" - this sounds counter intuitive, but the setting, according to the manual, is for turning off the LED after about 2 minutes. Also, and this is the problem I was having, the unit needs to be in Master mode for sound activated mode to do anything, so make sure you've got that set up in the menu correctly as well. After that, happy lighting!
DJ MV 4:05 AM - 30 March, 2011
If you want to "control" it without DMX get a UC4 controller product.
Guitartrooper 8:31 PM - 24 August, 2011
I too experienced these same problems with the Revo 4. I think the LED on/off refers to the LED alpha-numeric display on the back and not the "show" LEDs. I could be wrong but it just goes to show you how poorly written the user manual is.

Anyhow, I've made the following settings as recommended in this forum and finally the darn thing works:
ADDR - DMX Address Setting
Don't care if not using DMX

CHND - This will let you switch between 4 Channel DMX mode and 256 Channel DMX mode

SLND - This will let you set unit as a master or slave in a master/slave configuration
Set to master

SHND: Show modes 0 - 12
I set mine to show 0, which randomly advances through each show. I believe the following comment in the manual is wrong: "For Show Mode to run properly make sure Sound Active Mode is off." I found that my show mode does not react to sound if I have sound mode off (total opposite of what the manual claims to be true).

SOUN - in this mode the unit will run in sound active show mode - Again, I believe the note regarding the sound mode preventing show mode from working is incorrect (I have my sound mode set to on).

BLND - Blackout or Stand by mode - set to no

LED - With this function the LED display will turn off after 2 minutes - set as required (this refers to the numeric display on the back, not the show LEDs)

IDSP - This function will reverse the display 180º - set as required

At this point I just turn on the music and wait about one minute for the show to start. yes, believe it or not you need to wait for a minute after the last menu selection for the thing to start the show. I did however discover that you can power down and power back up and the show will begin immediately after initializing.

IMHO, the thing I like the most about the Revo 4 is show 0. It's really cool to watch it dance thru each show to the beat of the music. The thing I like the least is that you cannot select show 0 via DMX so I just setup as described above and power the thing up when I need it. ADJ made some really stupid choices in their software design but if you can forgive that, just setup as described and this thing should work for you as well.
Zero Day 11:52 PM - 25 August, 2011
Thanks for this! Since that happened i have sent back the light and not ordered another. Not sure if i want to put $300 on a light that has this common problem and also takes a minuet to start.. But i need to find a new light to buy if i don't end up ordering this one again.
DJ MV 2:41 PM - 26 August, 2011
I just saw the Chauvet CUBIX and I kind of wish I had that instead of the Revo 4 now.
sixxx 4:18 PM - 26 August, 2011
I have the Revo 3 and 4. No controllers. No issues.
I have them go to the sound with random patterns.
Zero Day 2:13 AM - 30 August, 2011
Quote:
I just saw the Chauvet CUBIX and I kind of wish I had that instead of the Revo 4 now.

The Chauvet CUBIX looks awesome.. Samash.com and MusiciansFriend.com doesn't cary it. Usually order from one of those two sites
Dano2 9:16 PM - 2 October, 2011
I had the same code ("7871") on my 10-month old REVO 4. It worked fine at home the night before the gig. Once it was hooked-up at the gig, it contnually shut off after it ran through it's show (3-4 minutes). I couldn't use it. I got home, plugged it in the next day and it works fine. I have to wonder if there is some kind of AC power diff at the venue or an interference from another componant.........
deejaydroc30314 4:12 AM - 25 March, 2015
No problems with mine in stand alone or dmx also use a uc3 and 4 controller works just fine adj has a lot of defective issues as does chauvet.........one says American the other sounds French but they all have Chinese parts FYI
AndySuv 1:15 PM - 12 June, 2015
Quote:
I too experienced these same problems with the Revo 4. I think the LED on/off refers to the LED alpha-numeric display on the back and not the "show" LEDs. I could be wrong but it just goes to show you how poorly written the user manual is.

Anyhow, I've made the following settings as recommended in this forum and finally the darn thing works:
ADDR - DMX Address Setting

CHND - This will let you switch between 4 Channel DMX mode and 256 Channel DMX mode

SLND - This will let you set unit as a master or slave in a master/slave configuration
Set to master

SHND: Show modes 0 - 12
I set mine to show 0, which randomly advances through each show. I believe the following comment in the manual is wrong: "For Show Mode to run properly make sure Sound Active Mode is off." I found that my show mode does not react to sound if I have sound mode off (total opposite of what the manual claims to be true).

SOUN - in this mode the unit will run in sound active show mode - Again, I believe the note regarding the sound mode preventing show mode from working is incorrect (I have my sound mode set to on).

BLND - Blackout or Stand by mode - set to no

LED - With this function the LED display will turn off after 2 minutes - set as required (this refers to the numeric display on the back, not the show LEDs)

IDSP - This function will reverse the display 180º - set as required

At this point I just turn on the music and wait about one minute for the show to start. yes, believe it or not you need to wait for a minute after the last menu selection for the thing to start the show. I did however discover that you can power down and power back up and the show will begin immediately after initializing.

IMHO, the thing I like the most about the Revo 4 is show 0. It's really cool to watch it dance thru each show to the beat of the music. The thing I like the least is that you cannot select show 0 via DMX so I just setup as described above and power the thing up when I need it. ADJ made some really stupid choices in their software design but if you can forgive that, just setup as described and this thing should work for you as well.

What guitar trooper says seems correct....was getting really upset with it to the point I was going to strap it to the kids and do a controlled explosion!

lights on back yellow master appears and green sound flickers

now working fine... show 0 is cool

thanks
light me 6:16 AM - 26 July, 2015
Any tips for the revo 2?
Mine has no manual. I employed several of the tips from guitar trooper, but do not see all the settings he mentions on my light. I want to leave it free standing and in sound active show mode.
dizzyrocks2001 3:36 PM - 26 July, 2015
Quote:
ya just read it..
damnit..
now i gotta pay to ship it back.. and wait. and possibly miss a gig cuz i have one that they wanted lights for and this is the only one i have so far (new to lights)

Miss a gig because of a light?? Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater lol. Just borrow or rent one? You're not going to stay in business long if you cancel a gig every time a light doesn't work.
xaviss 10:52 AM - 25 June, 2018
Hi! i know that this is an old post, i bought one of these revo 4 in 2015 and today i still having some issues with it, the code 7871 for example etc, finally i found the way to make it work, once you've selected the desired option in the menu, you must press enter and then press and hold menu button few seconds until the unit accept the new selection, there is no need to wait a minute or power off the unit, sorry for my english and sorry for revive this post, i hope this info could be useful for somebody

Regards!