DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Someone please educate me on the difference between Electro/House/Techno/Trance

a DJ 8:36 PM - 8 December, 2009
Electro seems to be the current pop sound. Fat repetitive synth bass. like those MGMT remixes

House?? lol

Techno seems to be more like Basshunter, the faster songs.

Trance seems even more repetitive than the others, has that same background type synth repeating over and over.

I just have a hard time differentiating between them all. Maybe someone can clear it up for me? Thanks. I'm a hip hop DJ lol, trying to include some faster genres in my DJing.
Beanfish 8:58 PM - 8 December, 2009
Long overdue for an update but..............

techno.org

don't take it too seriously though.

and Basshunter is definitely not techno
djmallon 9:34 PM - 8 December, 2009
ill give this a go..

electro house is your klaas kind of sound...big synth bass lines that shake the place down.
ex -> Watchwww.youtube.com ...go 2:13 in. usually in that 126-132 bpm range. don't get it confused with kraftwerk kind of electro...you'll piss people off! hahaha.

house is all encompassing. electro house...tech house...deep house...your mom's house...they all fall under the house umbrella.

techno is a bit more stripped...a little darker. falls between the 120-128bpm region?

trance is all about the buildup...ususally between 135-145bpm range. lots and lots of synths...more epic.

...but hey. thats my opinion.
Audio1 9:38 PM - 8 December, 2009
Here we go again.
C. William 9:40 PM - 8 December, 2009
i haven't paid attention to genre names in years. if i like a track, i spin it.
MrTM2 9:45 PM - 8 December, 2009
Don't trust it, but most of it is true.

en.wikipedia.org
DJDaveOtt 9:47 PM - 8 December, 2009
Quote:

+1
a DJ 9:53 PM - 8 December, 2009
Yeah I might just call em all House and forget about it lol. I'm kinda curious about what the difference was. I'll look into that first link when I get a chance, looks like it has a lot of examples.
DjWoody 9:54 PM - 8 December, 2009
------------------------------------------------------------
Real EDM that has past the test of time...
TECHNO = Richie Hawtin, Sven Vath, Sasha, Digweed, Dubfire Watchwww.youtube.com

TRANCE = Paul Van Dyk, Tiesto, Above & Beyond, Sean Tyas

HOUSE = Danny Tenaglia in one extreme, Eric Morillo on the other, Laurent Wolf in between.

GARBAGE THAT WILL GET BURNED OUT, BUT YET, IT'S THE MONEY MAKER RIGHT NOW....
- David Guetta's radio remixes
- Pitbull
- Electro Mashups
- Electro (Top 40 Stuff) = Klaas, Vandalism, Starkillers
flipmo8064 10:11 PM - 8 December, 2009
If you want to get even more in depth, Richie is minimal. Not techno ;)
DjWoody 11:00 PM - 8 December, 2009
Quote:

I was avoiding sub-generalizing, as each one of the genre's has multiple sub-genres. For example Minimal, Tech House, Tech Trance, Latin House, Hard House, etc... I just broke it down to the 3 main genres. Anything deeper, use the guide posted above.
flipmo8064 11:55 PM - 8 December, 2009
I know... I was just messing with ya
DPR250R 12:09 AM - 9 December, 2009
Quote:
Yeah I might just call em all House and forget about it lol. I'm kinda curious about what the difference was. I'll look into that first link when I get a chance, looks like it has a lot of examples.

Tech House / House :

Watchwww.youtube.com

Techno :

Watchwww.youtube.com

pretty straight forward.... it can get complcated with sub-genres though... just get the basic difference in sound in your head.

Techno is not as popular or as easily found in the US as House.... chances are... what you have is not Techno... and you wouldn't be playing much of it if you had any.
treeo730 1:11 AM - 9 December, 2009
To get a feel of whats what go to beatport, you can pull of top 10/100 list of a bunch of genre's.
dj_soo 1:59 AM - 9 December, 2009
a lot of it has to do with the hardware that was being used to produce the tunes back in the late 80s/early 90s.
Pete Moss 2:04 AM - 9 December, 2009
Quote:

+1

If someone tries to tell you specific reasons what makes them different, they're making it up.
-DMT- 5:15 AM - 9 December, 2009
Quote:

Minimal is a subgenre of techno. So he is both.
djdragon 5:54 AM - 9 December, 2009
Quote:
Someone please educate me on the difference between Electro/House/Ect..

The difference is is 3 pills and two lines. And maybe a Candy Flip.
al83 10:50 AM - 9 December, 2009
Basshunter is definitely not techno lol basshuner is cheesy commercial euro dance for hyperactive ASBO kids.

House first and foremost isn't a descriptive term for the music, House is a vibe & a feeling and cannot be explained simply. In general though and in its broadest sense House Music is 4/4 rhythmic music between 118 & 132 BPM that has a 'human' feel to it, be that either with funk, real instruments, real sounding synths, phrase repitition and/or vocals. However, that is only a rough a guide as House can also be anything, its a very lose term, and back in the day just simply meant 'Club Music'.
DJ Mups 2:05 PM - 9 December, 2009
Quote:
house is all encompassing...your mom's house...they all fall under the house umbrella.

LOL
Axialism 8:11 AM - 10 December, 2009
Simple, go to www.beatport.com
pick a genre, any genre. listen to the top 10 in that genre.
Move on to the next one, rinse, repeat.

You will notice style differences between them from song 1.

Too hard to explain what "is" electro house vs what "is" techno. Those that play it and those that are passionate about it just kind of know.
al83 1:13 PM - 10 December, 2009
I wouldn't take Beatports genre classification as gospel, they frequently mislabel things get very obvious things very wrong, but its not a bad start I suppose.
DJ_Gadabout 3:53 PM - 10 December, 2009
Beatport Does frequently mislabel tracks. Its seems like they take the artists "main genre" and label everything they make as that. Like Tiesto's recent electro [garbage] is still under the trance folder.
O..and My kind of House Music =]: Watchwww.youtube.com

[its one of my tenminmix..dnt click if u dnt wana hear/watch =P]
PopRoXxX 1:29 AM - 11 December, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

+1

+1