Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Anyone use Video SL alongside regular Serato for music? What visuals 4 MP3s?

Solomonic 5:27 PM - 26 November, 2009
Ok so happy thanks giving to everyone... I am excited about using Video SL in my regular sets...

My first question to start... With Video SL being a seperate app, what is displayed to your video output when playing files that are in regular Serato instead of Video SL?

I play on a reggae soundsystem and have landed a new sunday weekly... Over the years I have gathered a very large collection of reggae videos... I would like to be able to 'juggle' the videos in my sets alongside my regular tunes/dubplates. So I might kick off with a video or two on a riddim, but then mix into a song... What I want to know is can I somehow display the MP3 artwork for the songs?

I have taken the time to add artwork to my tracks, and I know Serato has artwork support...

I plan on using a DELL M109S for projection and if possible tie into the club's TV feeds but I am not counting on that yet.

Last question on another topic... A lot of the times when I get tracks, the videos audio codec is ripped to some bad VBR. I have 320K mp3s of the same files. Is it worth me 're-mastering' the video in iMovie or something and merging the video with a better audio format, or does anyone have a shortcut?
sixxx 8:15 PM - 26 November, 2009
1. If you're playing an mp3 while using the VSL plug-in, your screen will go dark (or empty). You can add anything you like to it. Even a video from another song. You can't add artwork as it is not yet supported, but the new version will support being able to display say, a jpg or png image among other cool features.

2. It is worth "re-mastering" the video in iMovie with better audio. I do it ALL THE TIME as a lot of old videos have crappy audio. Also for those videos that need editing due to breaks, etc.
Solomonic 1:51 AM - 27 November, 2009
Thanks sixxx... Any word on when the new version drops? I am probably a few months out from grabbing the projector anyway...
sixxx 4:26 AM - 27 November, 2009
As with any new release, it won't be out until it's ready. So, no date. But, we're happy that VSL keeps improving and going in the right direction. :)
Solomonic 4:32 AM - 27 November, 2009
All good thanks. One question on your first comment. Since the screen goes dark, you are suggesting I just load another video file or something onto the deck that is not playing, in order to give a visual... I guess I just need to play with it a bit but I am wondering how much work that is live to be switching to new tracks, visuals etc... Do you yourself do 'mixed' sets of both videos and regular music? That is exactly what I would like to do when playing audio, just load a clip that is our logo and sponsors, guests etc, or old movies or something that relate to the night...
sixxx 4:55 AM - 27 November, 2009
I try not to play anything that I don't have a video for when mixing video. But, for those times where there isn't even a video to a song, and I just have to play the song, I add my logo to the current mp3 track. It's easy. You can just "drop" the file you want on the deck that's already playing. So, you're assigning it that way. Or, you can assign it permanently so anytime you play that particular mp3, the video will already be attached to it.
Solomonic 5:14 AM - 27 November, 2009
Ok thanks, I think I understand, like I said I will have to play with it. My issue is I might do straight video for like an hour but its not the focus of our set... But if I can add other stuff to my mp3s, it will make for a nice add on to our performance I think. Thanks again for your advice.
Joshua Carl 10:27 PM - 27 November, 2009
theres also a thread floating around about "free stock footage" Ill do the logo... or sometimes a flyer, or the stock film...

now that im fiddling more...I combine all 3 into a minute long file.

but to be completely honest, I havent had to play a song that does not have the video
in quite some time....
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:18 AM - 29 November, 2009
Solomonic in the place!!!

I was running video on the dancehall night for a good while but I've gone back to just audio.

I imported a bunch of videos and cut up clips in Premier and saved them as MP4s with just the audio from the movie. This is also how I got 80% of my reggae and dancehall video (off Dvds). Now I have a folder which is tied to a crate of dancehall clip. I would use a combo of adding clips to mp3s and some of the visual effects built into vsl.

My intention has been to gather clips of each artists and at least preassign a clip to each song I would play on a riddim, however the stability of those clips staying with the file hasn't always been there. I'd say its worth it now, but I haven't found the time to cut up all the clips I need. I also ran out of HD space on the edit machine, which held everything up for a bit.

needless to say, its very time consuming but can be worth it. Especially if you have some custom video. The cool thing about SSL and VSL is that every time you use it gets better. Now that the ID info is saved in the MP4s I have been coding all my videos as I play. Each successive gig my crates and playlists get deeper.

a few folks out here have done some video dubplates, which is the way of the future for the selector. easy enough to grab a HD cam and pull it in the booth during a session. now we're talking serious prep time.

nuff respect, hit me up if you have more questions
Solomonic 1:22 AM - 29 November, 2009
bless up Dub Cowboy, nuff respect!

i got the demo figured out pretty good...

maybe i need to make the purchase for all of this to work, but is there a tutorial somewhere where i can learn how to assign clips to the mp3s? that is one thing I couldnt figure out on my own.

also, the video dubplate is exactly where i am going with this... our bredrin from Federation have been doing some dope ones, taking the original video from the artist and adding in cam video etc...

I got lots of ideas, plenty of videos, and hard drive space... what i am lacking is the time...

anyone figure out how to use the VSL instant double feature to clone yourself, so that one of you can work on music and the other one can do everything else in life? lol
DJ Dub Cowboy 1:46 AM - 29 November, 2009
under the deck circles are two buttons

set video | save effects

you can drag the clip to the button or click it when the video is assigned

I have a button assigned for each deck on my midi controller
Solomonic 1:46 AM - 29 November, 2009
ok I will give that a shot thanks much!
DjCrumbz 6:16 PM - 24 December, 2009
sixxx

Quote:
1. If you're playing an mp3 while using the VSL plug-in, your screen will go dark (or empty). You can add anything you like to it. Even a video from another song.

I do this regularly to single mp3's with no video. Is there a way to "mass" assign a generic video file to many mp3 files at once?
Solomonic 6:35 PM - 24 December, 2009
yes I was wondering the same thing.

my next question, i am assuming that the video 'sticks' to the MP3 so you don't have to do this more than once (even if you do it one at a time). my question is, does this stay with the 'crate'? If I unplug my HD and then go plug into my partners setup at another club, will the video file assignments be 'remembered'? or do I have to do the same thing all over again?

if not, since I am the one kickstarting this whole mission for my entire soundsystem (7 djs), is there any way to do the assignments and then export a crate or serato library settings so that they can just import and go?
Joshua Carl 6:46 PM - 24 December, 2009
I believe so, I have songs that have videos permanently associated with them.

if you want to make a MASS video, for many video id suggest making a single crate
with the few videos you want to use.
then whenever you want to associate a video you just pop open the crate and drag
it to the track...it takes all over 3 seconds..
(fishing for the video is usually the long part)
VJ Elite 4:42 PM - 25 December, 2009
Solomonic you need to link me....9544718260 or edward@elitedisco.com

www.youtube.com
DjCrumbz 1:31 AM - 28 December, 2009
Say there's a crate with 100 mp3's in it. There's 1 single (ID Tag) video loop file I want to assign to all 100 mp3's at once, Is this possible? Has anybody done this?
Solomonic 9:09 PM - 28 December, 2009
In regards to that last question, I would be extremely happy if Video SL could by default just use the track artwork. That way I can just assign video to what I want as I am playing.
Dj Ace 1:30 AM - 30 December, 2009
That is the same thing I requested a WHILE that would be perfect as a temporary screen holder...
MOE247365 11:17 PM - 7 March, 2011
Quote:
I try not to play anything that I don't have a video for when mixing video. But, for those times where there isn't even a video to a song, and I just have to play the song, I add my logo to the current mp3 track. It's easy. You can just "drop" the file you want on the deck that's already playing. So, you're assigning it that way. Or, you can assign it permanently so anytime you play that particular mp3, the video will already be attached to it.

How do i permanently add my logo/jpeg to an mp3 on Video SL? Can you also permanently add a video loop on video SL so that anytime i play a song with no video (an mp3) it will play that same loop?
ta2423 12:45 AM - 8 March, 2011
Quote:
yes I was wondering the same thing.

my next question, i am assuming that the video 'sticks' to the MP3 so you don't have to do this more than once (even if you do it one at a time). my question is, does this stay with the 'crate'? If I unplug my HD and then go plug into my partners setup at another club, will the video file assignments be 'remembered'? or do I have to do the same thing all over again?

if not, since I am the one kickstarting this whole mission for my entire soundsystem (7 djs), is there any way to do the assignments and then export a crate or serato library settings so that they can just import and go?

My 2 cents... If you add a visual to an mp3 make sure you dont move those visual files. Unless it has been fixed and I havent seen it anywhere. If the visual has been moved/lost and the mp3 played it will freeze looking for the visual.
Dj Nyce 1:44 PM - 8 March, 2011
I just have to laugh (at vsl, not you).

Ok back to your question. VSL has no way to assign videos to your mp3. You have to manually assign and you have to manually unassign.

And for some amazing visuals, check out www.motionloops.com
Paulsilver 6:47 AM - 11 July, 2011
Quote:

Ok back to your question. VSL has no way to assign videos to your mp3. You have to manually assign and you have to manually unassign.

Yo Dj Nyce, One question though... I bought some visuals from motionloops.com and it's awesome. But the thing is, the video is like 12 seconds long whereas my mp3 track would be 4 minutes long, so when i assign/tag the video to the mp3; will it play the video on loop by default as long at the song is playing?
DJ Tecoy 9:24 AM - 11 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Yo Dj Nyce, One question though... I bought some visuals from motionloops.com and it's awesome. But the thing is, the video is like 12 seconds long whereas my mp3 track would be 4 minutes long, so when i assign/tag the video to the mp3; will it play the video on loop by default as long at the song is playing?

Yes! Will loop........ Till track is removed from play deck! Man, ME does all this!
djpuma_gemini 3:58 PM - 11 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes! Will loop........ Till track is removed from play deck! Man, ME does all this! AUTOMATICALLY

Fixed IT
Code:E 7:05 PM - 11 July, 2011
i used to just dump loop visuals over tracks i didnt have videos for. now i made a bunch of presets and started using oneidea (from MIK) and thats great for all the house tracks i play withought videos
Solomonic 12:22 AM - 13 June, 2012
Bumping this thread now that I just was ready to buy Mix Emergency so that I could do this, I see it is not compatible with v2.4

What is the current status of Serato Video now... Can I play MP3s or AAC files, and have the iTunes artwork be displayed as the default art on the visual?

Because to be honest, mixing videos is less of a concern than being able to display album art as we are running a set.

Thanks
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:33 AM - 13 June, 2012
You can't do that currently in 2.4. If you aren't using the 62, the work around for ME is to just use 2.3.3 or below. Some people with 62s are using an SL1234 and midi mapping the 62 so you can still do a video set with ME.

Hopefully that is something added to SV soon.
Solomonic 12:52 AM - 13 June, 2012
yeah all good, guess i will have to bite the bullet... already bought Video SL once before i realized this, and have used it exactly zero times in gigs.

finally got a nice weekly coming up and wanted to do this properly...

we using SL3 or TTM57 so I guess we will just go with Mix Emergency then...

thanks as always Dub Cowboy!
djpuma_gemini 2:16 AM - 13 June, 2012
^smart move.
Solomonic 3:26 PM - 25 August, 2012
bumping this thread. i still need to get this going properly...

first question, seems like Mix Emergency 2.1.0 is now working with 2.4?

second question - since I have never used my Serato Video install (version 1.0) can I resell it to someone on eBay? not sure how Serato's licensing works.

thanks everyone
Solomonic 3:27 PM - 25 August, 2012
if it matters, only one of my 2 installs was used.
skinnyguy 8:59 PM - 25 August, 2012
me works. yes.

no. doesn't matter.
Code:E 3:27 AM - 26 August, 2012
Just keep your copy of serato video incase you ever buy an itch controller or need it for back up. I have both and even if i could sell one i wouldnt.
Solomonic 1:17 AM - 4 October, 2012
Quote:
Just keep your copy of serato video incase you ever buy an itch controller or need it for back up. I have both and even if i could sell one i wouldnt.

glad i didn't. ME latest build broke the artwork functionality. been waiting almost 2 mons for the next release. not really feeling confident using that in gigs even if it gets fixed. decided to go back to Serato Video and deal with it.
djkurve 3:29 PM - 4 October, 2012
The latest version of Serato Video has an auto on/randomize for visuals. So as long as you have visuals/videos in the media crate it will automatically play one when you load an mp3.
dj point 4:27 AM - 1 February, 2013
nice now this is what i was looking for. what kind of format the media can be.
monkeyfunk 10:11 AM - 1 February, 2013
Quote:
i used to just dump loop visuals over tracks i didnt have videos for. now i made a bunch of presets and started using oneidea (from MIK) and thats great for all the house tracks i play withought videos

Whatever happened to OneIdea from Mixed in Key - did they ever get it to a beta stage on the Mac ?
Code:E 6:22 PM - 1 February, 2013
Quote:
Whatever happened to OneIdea from Mixed in Key - did they ever get it to a beta stage on the Mac ?

i dont think so i have a full copy on my pc but its not even on there site anymore. i thought it was great but apparently all the video pro where too snobby to use it. It really is a basic software but did a cool easy job for creating videos for tracks.
monkeyfunk 2:36 AM - 2 February, 2013
shame, there's always room for what those guys work on
DJNRG 10:23 PM - 12 April, 2014
i had OneIdea disappointed that they just scrapped it.. i would not have purchased it if that was the case.........
DJ Tecniq 7:47 AM - 14 April, 2014
www.beeple-crap.com for free vj visuals