Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Karaoke

DJ Watty 5:47 PM - 17 November, 2009
Simple question, looking for simple answer. Does the new Serato Video SL support Karaoke formats?
I tried the search feature but no luck. I have been using VDJ for a while now. Since I visited NYC this past weekend I am looking at switching to Serato. I got to use it for 3 days straight with time code, and realy enjoyed it. I am a mobile DJ and I do a LOT of karaoke. I was hoping to keep a "All in one" Package like I have now.

I also called my closest dealer and they could not answer this question either.

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.
-DJ Watty
skinnyguy 6:58 PM - 17 November, 2009
no
PopRoXxX 8:38 PM - 17 November, 2009
but could karaoke dvd's be ripped with handbrake into mp4 format? i was wondering this for a friend of mine who loves to do karaoke.
DJ Watty 9:04 PM - 17 November, 2009
damn. So i will need to run both programs side by side if I wish to use Serato then.
Thank you a prompt and to the point answer.

-DJ Watty
DJ Watty 9:10 PM - 17 November, 2009
PopRoXXX From what I have read Serato does support MP4 but it is the zipped versions from Tricerasoft that I need to run. So I would have to convert all of my MP3+G files to DVD/AVI and that would take me a solid month or more :-( At least that is what I have gathered from the limited information that is available.

Of topic but it is also confusing on the subject of mixers. Specs say you MUST have a 57 to run SLV but I would hope that was a typo and the software supports all video mixers like the Denon X900 and such. At least that is the way it appears from a quick glance.
F The 1 Man Disco 9:24 PM - 17 November, 2009
A friend of mine converted few avis to mp4 and they worked fine on Serato.
PopRoXxX 9:39 PM - 17 November, 2009
I already have Serato Watty. I've been on VSL for a year now. I just haven't tried the karaoke side. But if karaoke tracks come on DVD's then rip the DVD's with handbrake to MP4. Load in Serato and go!
Kedar 3:11 AM - 18 November, 2009
why do karaoke suppliers sell CD+G anyways? I don't see any karaoke jockey's messing with lyrical modifications or stuff.... i don't see a benefit over a standard .mp4 or .avi video file (size of file aside)
DJCheLu 4:27 AM - 18 November, 2009
I think its so they can adjust tempo of song and the speed of the lyrics individually. Just guessing though. I have no idea :). Virtual dj is supposed to play karaoke files. Might want to look into that peice
DJ Watty 3:08 PM - 18 November, 2009
Yes it is so you can adjust the key of the song to the singers voice, for one reason.

Yes VDJ does it very well. I just kinda liked the feel of Serato when I used it this past weekend. The timecode seemed to run better to me on Serato for some reason. I think I am still going to get Serato and just daisy chain my CPU's into my mixer when doing a Karaoke gig.

Wouldn't be just a matter of Serato adding a Codec or something into the software? I know nothing about programing, lol. Just curious. I would pay extra for a Karaoke plugin just so I could continue to do everything from one package.
sixxx 3:13 PM - 18 November, 2009
My package does everything it needs to do. :P

Jokes aside, I don't see why Serato Scratch Live or VSL should add karaoke support. The software is getting so bloated as it is. ScratchLive was made for DJ's... not karaoke performers.
PopRoXxX 3:55 PM - 18 November, 2009
^^^^^ True ... AND ... If you want to do Karaoke just get Karaoke DVD's and convert them to MP4. If the singer can't sing the original key of the song, then here's no need to try and hack it on a different key. Choose a better song that suits your voice rather than try to make song suit you!
DJ'Que 1:15 AM - 23 November, 2009
I use Kjams pro and my macbook pro to do karoke.serato doesnt play karaoke. all my karaoke is on my harddrive. I have like over 150000 karaoke songs.i run karaoke and serato at the same time. when no singer is singing I play music.
D.J.MOOK 5:11 PM - 2 July, 2013
I dj all time.More people are asking for karaoke. I don't want to buy a karaoke system but, may have too. What's my best route.
Taipanic 1:46 AM - 3 July, 2013
VDJ also will play the zipped Karaoke files.
skinnyguy 3:55 AM - 3 July, 2013
vdj. i believe vdj still can read your serato crates. on pc, it's there. on mac, a bit of a workaround, but do-able...if you wanna do it all the time you make changes to your crates.

but yea, would be nice if sv could read karaoke files.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:48 AM - 5 July, 2013
+1 again

I'm willing to pay for a karaoke plug in.
dj jamalot 8:03 PM - 7 July, 2013
I did a talent show and the singer brought a ripped cd+g file and it showed the lyrics on screen in my itch using ns7 last year dunno how but it worked i didn't think it would...
Dj Shazzle 2:05 PM - 19 March, 2014
Would definitely pay for a serato Karaoke plugin ! :)
djkurve 6:43 PM - 20 March, 2014
Just use VDJ......
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:19 PM - 16 October, 2014
Hey guys,

What would you want out of a Karaoke plugin? MP3 + G support? CDG support? Any features in particular that help with DJing Karaoke?
dj jamalot 11:36 PM - 16 October, 2014
Wow serato DJ Karaoke support I'm hella down! I've been using a separate rig running Kjams pro this would work out great.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:26 AM - 17 October, 2014
Quote:
Hey guys,

What would you want out of a Karaoke plugin? MP3 + G support? CDG support? Any features in particular that help with DJing Karaoke?

I CANT BELIEVE IT!!

Martin,
I use Karma
www.karaosoft.com

Mp3+G
Key Transpose Buttons
Singer/song Rotation = Prepare window
dj jamalot 1:38 AM - 17 October, 2014
Serato remote integration that allows singers to select songs like Kjams would be nice...
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:50 AM - 17 October, 2014
Thanks for the link DJ_X_Trodinaire! No Mac Support :( I will try it out on my Windows computer soon though.

Whats generally considered the go to KDJ software for mac? Virtual DJ?

Do you know of any good video tutorials that focus on the Karaoke features you've mentioned? Where does everyone mostly get their Karaoke content from? Explain like I'm 5 :)

Quote:
Serato remote integration that allows singers to select songs like Kjams would be nice...

Damn, thats cool!
dj jamalot 3:03 AM - 17 October, 2014
Kjams is the most popular Mac soft ware VDJ is good too but you have to buy the pro edition I believe... I have it from my old mc 6000 that was used for Karaoke.
skinnyguy 10:30 AM - 17 October, 2014
i use vdj when i have to do karaoke (2 - 3 times a year if i'm lucky)
mp3+g, cdg, and zipped file support would be nice
scratchlive support would be nice too ;)
key adjusting is useful
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:33 AM - 18 October, 2014
Quote:
Kjams is the most popular Mac soft ware VDJ is good too but you have to buy the pro edition I believe... I have it from my old mc 6000 that was used for Karaoke.

I think Kjam is the only Karaoke software for mac :)
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:52 AM - 21 October, 2014
Cheers guys :)

So where do you look for content though? I see some software have online pools/streaming you can sign up to. Is there anywhere else thats popular?
dj jamalot 3:05 AM - 21 October, 2014
Karaoke version has the best songs / latest. I just added karaoke to my residency on thurs nights using Kjams and a old i3 iMac works great.
gymarines 9:16 PM - 2 November, 2014
I use Freekmake video downloader and serato video. I look it up on you tube ( karaoke version) and downloaded it as requested on my external hard drive.
Then I move the external HD to my mac where serato is installed.

A ilttle bit of work and I have a second laptop next to it that downloads the video and takes the text requests.
gymarines 9:57 PM - 9 December, 2014
I just downloaded SOUNDHOUND. Not only does it recognize the song but 90 percent of any song when using the ipad when you turn it and it shows the lyrics to the song.

FYI
Joey Tunes 7:35 PM - 14 April, 2015
Good news to those karaoke DJ's:
serato.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:53 PM - 14 April, 2015
just need them to be able to read zip files :)
Taipanic 1:48 PM - 15 April, 2015
Quote:
just need them to be able to read zip files :)

That would seem to be important. Having to individually unzip every karaoke song....
Seems that many of the other K players can do this.
The X-MAN 9:16 AM - 30 April, 2015
Yes!! Very Important!!! I need to be able to read zip files. Otherwise, I will still have to use Virtual DJ, and I want to stop doing that. Please help!!
skinnyguy 3:58 PM - 30 April, 2015
And something to transpose key.
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:49 PM - 30 April, 2015
Serato have said this is not possible as there library can not write to zip files so you will have to stay with vdj
The X-MAN 6:55 PM - 30 April, 2015
Karaoke files are a whole different ball of wax. Up until now, Serato now can read MP3+G files, so it shouldn't really be to hard to write in the code that recognizes a .zip file as a karaoke file. If the competition does it, Serato can do it! Come on Serato!!! I BELIEVE IN YOU!!
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:01 PM - 30 April, 2015
no they said it is impossible with there current library. So ya sure if they get a totaly different library seems extreme just for some karaoke. Best bet is to get over to the feature suggestion secion and rally up some users. i guess you would need a few thousand to make this happen
The X-MAN 7:27 PM - 30 April, 2015
LOL. Well then I will make it a mission. I know that all my buddies would love this feature to happen.
skinnyguy 10:38 AM - 1 May, 2015
Also said mixing video without the 57 wasn't possible.....
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:16 AM - 1 May, 2015
Like i put they said with there current library so yes it could be done just alot of work to make it happen. And i really can't see them putting all that work in just for a Karaoke file support. But as always get the numbers wanting it and serato will do it.
money100 3:26 AM - 3 August, 2015
im lookin to buy karaoke mp4 9547097199
D.J. Todd 5:36 PM - 5 March, 2016
I would love to offer Karaoke but there are so many issues with karaoke from getting quality karaoke files, to updates to licensing. Do you see Serato making an agreement with ASCAP, BMI & SESAC etc. to offer karaoke files? Why not make it proprietary like Whitelabel.net so the karaoke files would only work with Serato Karaoke. That way music companies, venue owners and KJ's would all be happy! This is needed and I bet that a lot of DJs/KJs would gladly pay for this type of blanket license to bring Karaoke out of the shadows. MAKE KARAOKE GREAT AGAIN SERATO! Thank you.
djrickj413 7:09 PM - 10 May, 2016
I have a Pioneer DDJSz and a MacBook Pro. If I use a thunderbolt to HDMI cable to connect to an external monitor, can I play Karaoke videos (MP4) downloaded with MacX YouTube Downloader on Serato Video?? i don't want to pay $150 for Serato Video if this won't work. Also, if there is another way to play karaoke videos through my controller? please post it. Thanks
popnwave 9:21 PM - 10 May, 2016
Quote:
I have a Pioneer DDJSz and a MacBook Pro. If I use a thunderbolt to HDMI cable to connect to an external monitor, can I play Karaoke videos (MP4) downloaded with MacX YouTube Downloader on Serato Video?? i don't want to pay $150 for Serato Video if this won't work. Also, if there is another way to play karaoke videos through my controller? please post it. Thanks

In theory, yes. The downloaded files may not be the most stable to use though. I'd check and recheck them in stress testing before I trusted them live.
djrickj413 4:00 AM - 11 May, 2016
Ok, thank you....I'm gonna give it a try!
Marv Incredible 11:07 PM - 12 May, 2016
Are you being paid to play Karaoke?
djrickj413 12:17 PM - 13 May, 2016
Quote:
Are you being paid to play Karaoke?

Of course!