Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Video-sl controls on djm-800

keith synnott 9:24 PM - 10 November, 2009
Hi guys this may have been asked but here goes anyway. I know that you can assign midi controls to video sl using the djm-800, I just need to know do the channel and cross faders work the same as with the ttm-57? Can you cut the audio/video using the same fader basically?
keith synnott 9:38 PM - 10 November, 2009
sorry guys gonna repost in the help section :)
Charlie Five 9:53 PM - 10 November, 2009
Well to answer your question YES! Nearly every fader, knob, and button on the 800 is MIDI assignable.
keith synnott 10:02 PM - 10 November, 2009
Thanks a lot Charlie , this is gonna save me a fortune as i was gonna buy the ttm57 and video sl plug in . Im just gonna buy the video sl plug in now alone and use it with my djm-800 .
djbigboy 12:08 AM - 11 November, 2009
yeah I think you will be pretty happy with it...
VJ Justin Allen 2:06 AM - 11 November, 2009
67 total buttons, knobs, sliders can be mapped on the 800. Be aware however that some buttons are latch and unlatch. For example, I use the 1,2,3,4,buttons for my start loop and end loop on the left and right sides. You have to press them once to engage and then once to turn off. Usually that just means coming back afterwards and "cleaning up" after yourself.

Same thing with the effects buttons right about the 1,2,3,4, (I use them for my loop on and off)

You'll see what I mean once you start playing with it.
Ingo B 11:57 PM - 18 November, 2009
Cue buttons do the same thing, too (latch/unlatch). It's weird at first, but you get used to it.
DouggyFresh 5:44 PM - 19 November, 2009
I like using the fader start buttons like this:

1 (cue point 1, decks 1)
2 (auto-loop deck 1)
3 (auto-loop desk 2)
4 (cue point 1, deck 2)

Then I use the channel effects knop to set the loop length. Of course you can always assign the other 2 unused channels for other stuff as well. The only thing I don't like is that there's no unlimited rotary knobs for song & crate scrolling.
Alixx J 6:26 PM - 19 November, 2009
I use decks two and three for the audio, and have mapped the loop rolls like this:

Channel 1 cue = activate loop roll on channel 2
Channel 1 effect knob = roll length on channel 2

Channel 4 cue = activate loop roll on channel 3
Channel 4 effect knob = roll length on channel 3

I use the fader starts on the mixer to bypass video effects and the video upfaders

Video wet/dry effects are controlled by effect knobs on channels 2 and 3

Upfaders 3 and 4 are assigned to the video upfaders

Gains on channels 1 and 4 change the gains in serato.
DouggyFresh 7:06 PM - 19 November, 2009
Quote:
I use decks two and three for the audio, and have mapped the loop rolls like this:

Channel 1 cue = activate loop roll on channel 2
Channel 1 effect knob = roll length on channel 2

Channel 4 cue = activate loop roll on channel 3
Channel 4 effect knob = roll length on channel 3

I use the fader starts on the mixer to bypass video effects and the video upfaders

Video wet/dry effects are controlled by effect knobs on channels 2 and 3

Upfaders 3 and 4 are assigned to the video upfaders

Gains on channels 1 and 4 change the gains in serato.

I like that! How do you deal with the latching function of cue and fader start? Is there a good option on the "midi mode" (absolute, relative, etc)?
Djmadmonk 8:44 AM - 18 April, 2010
can someone post a video of how you have everything midi mapped.

i mapped everything but when i move the fader from channel 1 to channel 2 it will only control the video and not the song

so there for i cant scratch unless i use channel 1 up and down i would rather use the fader
djbigboy 3:55 PM - 18 April, 2010
is there any chance that you didn't assign the crossfader to a or b? With the 800, I don't think you can assign video only to the crossfader...

DouggyFresh- sounds like you have a great system there, makes me wanna look into it more...I never thought of putting the roll length on the knobs...awesome!
VJ Justin Allen 5:45 PM - 18 April, 2010
You control the sound on the 800 by choosing the switches on the mixer. Select A or B ...you must be in the middle I think.
Djmadmonk 7:49 PM - 18 April, 2010
ok ill try that
Djmadmonk 9:45 PM - 18 April, 2010
when i assign the fader to the midi it only controls video fade from a - b not audio i have to use channel fader for the audio
DouggyFresh 3:49 AM - 19 April, 2010
At the bottom of your audio channels there's an AB switch - A is the left side of the fader, B is the right side... In the middle, the crossfader is bypassed.
VJ Justin Allen 12:24 PM - 19 April, 2010
I told him that earlier Douggy Fresh...not sure he read it.
djbigboy 2:49 PM - 19 April, 2010
I've never heard of this on an 800, usually it just getting it going that causes the problem...if he has the a-b switches set, what could it be?
VJ Justin Allen 3:49 PM - 19 April, 2010
Seriously???

They are the switches right about the crossfader and right below every volume slider control.

It says A - THRU - B

You have them set in the middle (THRU) Move one to A and the other to B and that should solve your issue.
Djmadmonk 5:33 PM - 19 April, 2010
ok its all good thats what i did was had it set on thru

thanks everyone!!