DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Are ortofon carts & stylus interchangeable?

yuri 2:04 PM - 3 August, 2006
Hey.. I have a big gig commming up and i need some backup stylus. I was wondering if ortofon stylus are interchangeable, for example can I use a concord pro s stylus on my concord djs cart?? thanks
DJ Nevoc 3:48 PM - 3 August, 2006
Yes You can, though the sound specs are going to be off, not noticable but slightly off. Also go to Ortofon.com and get the specs for each stylus off the website. As the Bule DJ stylus run I think 3g max the Night Clubs run 3-5g So make sure your running optimum weight.

NeV
yuri 4:20 PM - 3 August, 2006
hmm thanks.. they will be used only for serato.. so hopefully the sound spec shouldnt matter too much.. thanks again
DJ Nevoc 4:23 PM - 3 August, 2006
I've talked for hours with the Rane guys about TTs and seting everything up. The most important things to do is make sure your cart is level, balanced and weighted properly and that the antiskip is center.

Some people dont know how to do this. Take a piece of vinyl thats blank and put the tone arm on it and turn your anti skip till the tone arm doesnt go left or right on its own.

NeV
yuri 6:30 PM - 3 August, 2006
how do we find a piece of vinyl thats blank :) ??
Niral 6:53 PM - 3 August, 2006
Wait, so I just want some clarification. I have a pair of orto nightclubs. I would like to purchase the Q-bert stylus..are you saying that would work?
DJ Stuart (AR) 6:53 PM - 3 August, 2006
One sided vinyl singles. Or simply the end of record with a short song.
Cheers.

www.djstuart.com.ar
Boogie Down Martin 2:42 AM - 4 August, 2006
Quote:
how do we find a piece of vinyl thats blank :) ??

If I remember correctly i've read in the specs for the Concordes that the recommended antiskating setting is 0.

I also think instead of using a blank vinyl you could also balance the tonearm to make it float close over the surface of the vinyl. You have to balance to tonearm anyway before adjusting the weight on the needle.
DJ Stuart (AR) 9:52 AM - 4 August, 2006
Quote:
I also think instead of using a blank vinyl you could also balance the tonearm to make it float close over the surface of the vinyl. You have to balance to tonearm anyway before adjusting the weight on the needle.

Yes, but you have to set the anti-skipping acording to the tonearm weight. So its cool to have a blank piece of vinyl.

www.djstuart.com.ar
Alixx J 10:38 AM - 4 August, 2006
I have just put some ortofon scratch stylus on my blue dj s carts and there have been no sound issues, they just hold the groove better. You get blank vinyl on the reverse side of some promo slates.

If you scratch its best to have the anti-skate at 0, for general playback, as nevoc says, the tone arm should stay centred whilst the needle is playing on a blank piece of vinyl. When you buy your new styli there will be a small piece of paper in the bottom that states all the optimum weights for the different stylus types.

'Wait, so I just want some clarification. I have a pair of orto nightclubs. I would like to purchase the Q-bert stylus..are you saying that would work?'

On this forum its been said that the q-bert styli dont match any of the other carts in the ortofon range, like wise with the new digitrak ones, due to differences with the cartridge.
DeezNotes 12:42 PM - 4 August, 2006
Quote:
'Wait, so I just want some clarification. I have a pair of orto nightclubs. I would like to purchase the Q-bert stylus..are you saying that would work?'

On this forum its been said that the q-bert styli dont match any of the other carts in the ortofon range, like wise with the new digitrak ones, due to differences with the cartridge.

From what I've read, you won't get the maximum output advertised unless you use the cart body along with the stylus. Those 2 carts have really high output... especially the Q-Bert.
nobspangle 7:06 PM - 4 August, 2006
All the ortofon needles will fit and work on all the ortofon carts. However they are not all supposed to be interchangable.

I'm pretty sure that the nightclubs are the same as the DJs and the scratch (just different needles) so they can be changed over.

The ProS is different so you aren't supposed to swap that one in.

I think the digitrack and the qbert are the same as each other but not the same as the rest.

Ortofon should provide more info on this. With the hifi carts it is an advertised feature. I have a 510MkII, if I want to upgrade to a 520 or 530 I just buy the new needle and I'm there.

Here's what the guy from Ortofon had to say
Quote:
As for being interchangeable, the general answer is yes except there are 3 exceptions. You can't change the Pro (which you shouldn't be using with SSL anyway) and the Qberts and DigiTracks are not interchangeable with the others. Why? They use a different engine (in laymans terms, they have more copper windings). While they'll fit, you'll recieve far from optimal sounds.

All of our other DJ stylus are interchangeable.

So it's a little criptic.
yuri 7:36 PM - 4 August, 2006
wait.. so i CANT use concord pro s stylus with my concord djs cart???? can someone verify this.. and if so why?
yuri 7:36 PM - 4 August, 2006
and why should i be using the pro s with ssl?
nobspangle 8:24 PM - 4 August, 2006
You can use a pro s stylus with a djs cart, it's just that they are physically different carts so you won't get optimum performance.

If you had (for example) a djs cart and a nightclub cart, apart from the colour they would be identical, it's just the stylus that is different.

I don't know why Mr. Ortofon said you shouldn't be using a Pro S with SSL, maybe to make more money out of his stupidly expensive digitracks.
B.A.M 9:02 PM - 26 January, 2011
I have been using Concorde Pro S with SSL for almost a year now and I havent seen much of a problem, the only thing I could mention is the signal strength droping a little in the SSL window. Although never low enough to disrupt the signal.

One of my needles have finaly worn out and I had the same question; Are the stylus interchangeable with Concorde carts.

Here is a link to the Ortofon DJ web page for the CC Pro S Specs:
www.ortofon-dj.com

Here are the Specs for the digitrack:
www.ortofon-dj.com

They both claim low ware on vinyl, they are both Spherical stylus types. The overall differance between them is minimal.

It now begs the question New Carts or New Stylus?
DeezNotes 10:00 PM - 26 January, 2011
New stylus. If you go with the Blue DJ, it is fully interchangeable. If you go with the Digitrack, it'll work.. you just won't get the high [loud] output described in the specs.

The pink or Q-Bert needles will give you less record wear than the DJ or the Digitrack (if you care about that).
Dj Piatro 1:09 AM - 29 May, 2012
hi. And what about an s-120? Can i put the s-120 stylus on my concorde nightclub mk2 E? Now i use the blue DJS stylus mounted on a nightclub mk2 with no problem.

I read on ortofon website this: "The Ortofon-Serato S-120 represents a
completely new way of constructing
and designing cartridges. Its
breakthrough patent pending
technology has been designed to
provide maximum freedom for DJ performance. An innovative technology, called
asymmetric suspension, takes the
cartridge performance to the next
level."

Does it mean,that they wouldn't fit on my cartridge? Thanks for help.
djvtyme85 1:43 AM - 29 May, 2012
It fits but with a little push, a better choice is swapping any other ortofon cart. Either way biggest sacrifice is sound quality if your using actual vinyl with Serato no difference.
Sepo 12:26 AM - 11 September, 2013
And another thing, does anybody here knows if there is the difference beetween concord cartridges like proS and nightclub (1st version) ?
Bathory 7:06 PM - 27 March, 2015
I was curious also about this. I have nightclub mkii. And want to use the arkiv stylus in the nighrclub cart. ???

Anyone??

Bueller..........bueller .......
DJ Irv 9:45 PM - 27 March, 2015
From what I been told the tips are all interchangeable but the Qberts and Nightclub MKII have their coils wound a bit different and might not work/sound the same. Not exactly sure but if you did a little you will find a more technical answer.
Biglerst5 12:52 AM - 12 February, 2016
Having an issue with this new pair of ortofon scratch needles, the hot pink ones. They skip on every single record and pull away like the anti skip is maxed put when it's at zero. I have 1210 M5G's. I have balanced the arm, have the counter weight at 3, tone are height at 3, and 0 anti skip. The only way I can get them to not skip or skate is to max out height of arm and counter weight all the way in. Fully aware this is horrible for the needles and records. Any suggestions, I'm open ears. Thank you, appreciate your time.
DJ Irv 1:28 AM - 12 February, 2016
New Ortofons need to break in. It could take a little before they start stickin'.
Biglerst5 1:36 AM - 12 February, 2016
Quote:
New Ortofons need to break in. It could take a little before they start stickin'.

Ok, I appreciate that info
djvtyme85 4:33 AM - 17 February, 2016
may be a defective pair. yes, ortofons need a break but what your experiences is bit much
DJ Irv 2:54 PM - 17 February, 2016
My nightclubs back in the day took a while to break in. They tore records up but damn did they sound good.
Biglerst5 5:40 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:
may be a defective pair. yes, ortofons need a break but what your experiences is bit much

Bought a set of nightclub stylus to replace the pair that I'm having issues with. When they arrive that should kinda tell me if they were defective. Couldn't think of anything else to try or do.
desmorider 9:54 PM - 17 February, 2016
where did you get the set of panks you have? Any chance that they are bootlegs?
Biglerst5 10:31 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:
where did you get the set of panks you have? Any chance that they are bootlegs?

No. Someone had me test the Anti skip and it is definitely broken. It pulls the arm back towards the pitch control and a high speed even when the dial is at zero. Think the spring is loose or broken. That's a Even bigger problem. Need an engineer to fix that ??? LOL
Gio Alex 10:50 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:
Need an engineer to fix that ??? LOL

LOL a technician, not an engineer.
bucko73 10:17 AM - 18 April, 2017
my dj pro s has just decided to quit working out of 1 channel its only 2 years old I have removed the stylus and stuck it on my old ortofon arkiv cart and it seems to be working fine
Dimulecka 9:01 AM - 20 August, 2017
Hi,
Hope someone used such combination and could advise me please. As I'm strugling to find this info anywhere.
Basically I've got Concorde Pro silver cartridges and in the need of replacement styluses. I'm thinking of getting Nightclub mk1 S stylus instead of standard silver Pro. Is it worth extra £ and would give me a benefit instead of distortion?
Thank you in advance for your help!
Juli1 9:12 PM - 25 August, 2017
Quote:
Hi,
Hope someone used such combination and could advise me please. As I'm strugling to find this info anywhere.
Basically I've got Concorde Pro silver cartridges and in the need of replacement styluses. I'm thinking of getting Nightclub mk1 S stylus instead of standard silver Pro. Is it worth extra £ and would give me a benefit instead of distortion?

Hi!

Same question here, if someone already test this a feedback would be nice.

Thanks in advance.
DeezNotes 11:09 PM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:
Hi,

It would work, but you won't get the full output the nightclub cart is capable of. The coil in the silver will give you a lower output. This may not matter much if you're just playing control vinyl.
Dimulecka 11:15 AM - 21 December, 2017
Quote:

It would work, but you won't get the full output the nightclub cart is capable of. The coil in the silver will give you a lower output. This may not matter much if you're just playing control vinyl.

Thanks for your reply mate!
RR437T 6:05 PM - 21 December, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for your reply mate!

That's not entirely accurate. All other things being the same, the lower the cart's output, the better it sounds. There's many other factors to consider besides output. Going from a 5mv cart to a 6mv is nothing more than a slight volume adjustment. Any MM/HOMC phono pre on the market can easily deal with any one of those carts. Both are very, very high output.

" Is it worth extra £ and would give me a benefit instead of distortion?"

That's a far more relevant question. You should not be getting any distortion with any cart. Assuming nothing is physically broken, distortion is either going to be an equipment miss-match, setup or break in. DJ gear is pretty standardized, so I don't see a miss-match as likely. Setup should be the same for both of the carts you are looking at. That leaves break in. Phono carts break in a lot. So much so, that sometimes a brand new cart with 0 hours on it can sound defective. You need to put some hours on it before its OK to do any serious listening. Typically, on a brand new cart, I can hear it improve from record to record for the first 20-30 records. If you are playing live, put at least 25 hours on a cart before using it. 50 is much better, and 100 is best.

I got the cart specs from this web site. You may want to check it to be sure I was looking at the same 2 carts you are.

www.needledoctor.com
HK1200 7:42 PM - 21 December, 2017
Fwiw, I've been rocking blue Concord DJ S carts with yellow Night Club (mk1) tips since the 90'... partially because Polo blue and yellow were the official colors of that era, but also because they sound great and hold a groove extremely well imho. Love them. Zero issues with dvs, for anyone wondering.
KC1 11:54 AM - 29 August, 2019
I'm thinking of switching to OM carts soon, so are they all the same or is there a specific OM cart I should look for?

I currently use Ortofon Qbert stylus and or Nightclub E depending on what I'm doing.

Can I use any OM cart?
PaulDeLoop 9:22 AM - 7 December, 2019
Hi there! I have three sets of Ortofon Nightclub MK1(yellow). I did some test using SSL1 tool (green circles in options). For two of my cartridges measurements are exactly the same. Circles are identical for the first and the second cartridge. For my third cartridge measurements showed that circle was bigger. I checked it with all three needles (all Nightclub mk1 taken from cartridge one and two) and all the time it showed that the third cartridge has higher output level. How is it possible?
PaulDeLoop 9:22 AM - 7 December, 2019
Hi there! I have three sets of Ortofon Nightclub MK1(yellow). I did some test using SSL1 tool (green circles in options). For two of my cartridges measurements are exactly the same. Circles are identical for the first and the second cartridge. For my third cartridge measurements showed that circle was bigger. I checked it with all three needles (all Nightclub mk1 taken from cartridge one and two) and all the time it showed that the third cartridge has higher output level. How is it possible?