Scratch Live Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Scratch Live?

auto-crossfade

DjCo 5:53 AM - 25 July, 2006
automatically crossfade songs when in auto mode and also at a constant volume when songs tend to be louder or quiter than others, so if the next song tends to be somewhat quiter, it would automatically adjust the volume to the song that was previosly playing. that would be great
djykcor 8:05 PM - 25 July, 2006
the volume thing is cool,but auto crossfade?? I mean, how lazy can you get?? See,thats why technology will put an end to us one day,if the program can do a whole show(mixing and all) by itself,then what do people need us for...I can deffinitly tell what type of dj you are...
Dj KaGeN 11:31 PM - 25 July, 2006
NO & No... there are tools to get your tunes all the same volume...
Pete Moss 12:14 AM - 26 July, 2006
While there may be merit for unattended auto play during a 7 o'clock happy hour or dinner at a wedding, I would hate SSL to turn into PCDJ. I just use Windows Media Player.
andrew b 6:05 PM - 18 August, 2006
it sounds like dj co doesn't even want to MIX anymore hahah someday, serato version 4.9 will be able to mix without doing anything, just show up to your gig and let serato do all the work for you. hahah
BriChi 6:08 PM - 27 August, 2006
I do a lot of mobile work, not club, It would be nice if SSL did a similar thing like ITunes where you can have your auto mode do a mix within 10 seconds of the song ending. I'm not trying to be lazy, I mix all night, It would just be nice for dinner time where there is 20 minutes of background music to set up a playlist and let it auto mix so you can step away for a minute to see how the bride and groom are doing, go to the bathroom, grab a drink or have a cigarette (if you smoke) without worrying about being back in time to mix the next background song. The auto feature now is a step in the right direction, but it sux that it doesn't mix into the next track,,,,there is nothing worse than dead air between songs. Right now i just fire up ITunes for background time, but it stinks having to make another connection to the mixer just to do this
Dj KaGeN 5:36 AM - 28 August, 2006
put on the yanni or kenny g and check back in 60 minutes....
Mista Cham 9:28 AM - 28 August, 2006
i would love the auto feature....ive done gigs where i had to just let a cd play that i ws given that night, and i couldnt just let the cd play out i had to mix all the cuts on the cd... i didnt have an extra cd player with me... itd be nice to be able to just setup an early background music playlist and let take a break... i usually just use winamp, but again sometimes thats just not practical...
BriChi 12:50 PM - 28 August, 2006
Quote:

I'd kill myself if the dj played that shit for background and I was a guest at a wedding. You might as well put them to sleep. I try and play at least some upbeat back ground shit like Stevie Wonder of newer radio crap. I base it differently every party based on the type of crowd I have
dj KarrsiN 3:53 AM - 12 September, 2006
I agree that deejays are becoming lazy, serato has spoiled us too much. If peoople want stuff to get mixed on its own, then maybe they should just make a pre-mixed cd and let it play...
Sam 5:34 AM - 12 September, 2006
We always intended to add a crossfade option to auto mode ... turns out it's damn tricky. It's something that we will work on, but no guarantees, I'm afraid.
Dj KaGeN 4:03 PM - 12 September, 2006
scratch that off the list....... now.
Prime-X 6:28 PM - 12 September, 2006
Dj KaGeN,

From the way you are talking it sounded like your probably around early 20's, stock in the stone age era, ha? Might as well, suggest stop making or upgrading this stuff and stay on your 8 track, right? Time moves on and create new challenges that's the way of the future, what they are suggesting is a good thing if you been deejaying for 10yrs or more you get tiered of standing all the time over there on your little booth just fading in and out that music. It get's boring after a while when you are doing ballad music for weedings, dining, speeches, and etc... you would want to automate that if that would be possible, right? What if you are hungry or even want to use the bathroom and no backup dj how are you going to do that...mix cds. What if you have mix cd's that was made by order dj and advertise their name once every few tracks you don't want that for people to here. More features that they can add the better I think. Enjoy that. :)
Dj KaGeN 7:59 PM - 12 September, 2006
oh dude.... for Pete’s sakes..

If you would like to discuss things - attacking me first is not a good way to start your rebuttal - now that my friend is childish at best.

If you must know I am past my twenties - that info would have been attainable on the internet had you taken a moment to look me up, but you seem to like things handed to you.

If you've been dj'ing for 10+ years - that's great, how about you record a thing or two and slip that CD "OF YOUR OWN" on and take a long walk since you are not wanting to STAND AND WORK (I get TIRED-- WHAaaa !!!) for your paycheck.

Automation - great subject. I automated my home a few years ago; it's great so many things are now possible with simple programming, lights on and off, sprinklers based on current weather, zoned heating cooling based on room temps, announcing or blocking calls - touch screen in the kitchen visually see all the goings on and even to choose play lists of songs and the list goes on and on...... Yep it's nice to have it all at your fingertips (I worked VERY hard just to be lazy) I hear that companies automate and that makes LESS jobs for humans - since robots do not share your whine of getting TIRED or hurting feet or eating or pissing... It may be a good solid idea to leave automation out of this profession.

You said you’d like to create new challenges but yet you’d like to simplify your DJ job. I understand that you may have written this in haste and not thought it all the way thru – happens all the time on the forum. But, jeez you've been forced to pee your pants while dj’ing or you HAD to play a PREMADE mix CD laden with advertisements? Am I reading this correctly?

SERATO – Is there help for this man? – he’s having serious issues.

BTW - why the smiley face? You're lookin silly enough.
J.J. 10:28 PM - 12 September, 2006
Yea KaGeN, while Serato is at it, they should scratch off Tempo Matching display, Track Overview display, Waveform display, Beat Matching display, Track gain, Absolute mode, Looping, Cue points, Crates, MP3 support, searching, album art, and Instant doubles. Why even bother with future things like subcrates, ASIO, key adjust, Pitch Range Adjustment, auto looping & effects.

I never had it while using vinyl and I don't need it now. [/sarcasm]

Please take in consideration other users needs. Especially when your in the Feature Suggestions forum.

I would greatly appreciate auto-crossfade with an option for crossfade time in seconds. No, I am not lazy. Winamp plays through my headphones out and their is to much feedback. Even with ASIO drivers, they would be disabled when Scratch Live is on.

I DJ a lot of my own parties or different occasions for my family like graduations. I am NOT going to be behind the DJ booth all night. Especially when I'm working for free. I need eat, go to the bathroom, visit the bar frequently, visit with family and friends, work a XLR light show, take request, make announcements, and most of all work the dance floor.

Don't get me wrong, I love to mix. But you have to understand I do this every day of my life as a hobby. Serato OWNZ, now where is Key Adjust?
Dj KaGeN 10:49 PM - 12 September, 2006
"" I am NOT going to be behind the DJ booth all night. ""

Ok, I get it. I'm being inundated by people who want to be “the BIG MAN with all the cool Toys” and still be able to eat/drink and somehow still feel the need to complain that they need time to take a leak too.... You are giving such strong arguments for your case. Serato should note this in their next programmers meeting stating that both, Prime-X & JJ eyes are both turning yellow while mixing and this is a major concern.

This is Dj software. Not advanced Winamp. And I'm sorry you like to come here and complain that your family is working you so hard for free.

There are many talented Dj's on here with advanced controllable lighting setups that forget about eating/drinking while addressing the decks and focus on rocking the party. If you want to be such a slouch, and mention how you need a bathroom break, RETHINK it please save up the money and hire someone that can pull it off with a touch of professionalism.

"Don't get me wrong, I love to mix. But you have to understand I do this every day of my life as a hobby."

If you truely beatmatched the music while you spun everyday - you'd never ask for it to do the work for you.

What's cookin in your microwave?
dj KarrsiN 8:20 AM - 13 September, 2006
Quote:

If you truely beatmatched the music while you spun everyday - you'd never ask for it to do the work for you.

I agree with KaGen. Cue points, looping and all the SSL features have opened a new world of creativity for dj's. I believe that auto mixing or auto beat matching would kill the art of mixing NOT help it.
J.J. 5:58 PM - 13 September, 2006
DJ KaGen. You have got to be kidding if you think we actually mix country, salsa, cumbia, and slow songs. NOT EVERYBODY IS DJING AT A CLUB.

"If you truely beatmatched the music while you spun everyday - you'd never ask for it to do the work for you."

Yea, I bought Serato so I can just listen to music and not mix? Whatever. I mix everyday what I want to listen to. As for mobile work, you PLAY what others request.

Think outside the box. Different strokes for different folks.
Serato, please bring us auto-crossfade for the mobile DJ's that play a variety of music. For DJ's like Dj KaGeN, he won't have to enable this feature and thus not hurt his feelings.
Dj KaGeN 7:14 PM - 13 September, 2006
Looking back and attempting to determine what you may mean with your rhetoric only further proves my point. There is not a strong need for programming this since neither can give solid reasoning for instituting this feature.

Case closed.
J.J. 9:24 PM - 13 September, 2006
Johnny KaGe, you mix country and spanish. I would love to here your mixes.

Either way, Sam already spoke.
Quote:
We always intended to add a crossfade option to auto mode ... turns out it's damn tricky. It's something that we will work on, but no guarantees, I'm afraid.

OWNED!
Dj KaGeN 10:00 PM - 13 September, 2006
Since there is not a guarantee for auto crossfade which surely must encompass some form of beatmatching - you'd better step up and start practicing.
RussOne 11:12 PM - 13 September, 2006
It makes me sad and disappointed to see what the art of DJ'ing is being dummed down to. Can anyone say iRobot! An internal crossfader feature would be a good idea for the purpose of preparation. For example! You got that long ass flight to that next gig coming up. This is perfect downtime to work on your playlists/mixes, your set for given venue. The automatic crossfader idea is just downright laziness. If you know you're gonna need to take breaks, pre-mix your own shit and keep on hand for those given moments. Honestly, when I used to go to clubs to see the featured DJ do his thing, I honestly can't recall ever seeing him/her ever leaving their post once the wheels were in motion. But everyone is different.
J.J. 11:39 PM - 13 September, 2006
A club DJ will never need auto crossfade. I would leave the club if I ever saw that.

Since when did auto-crossfade = beatmatching?

Quote:
Since there is not a guarantee for auto crossfade which surely must encompass some form of beatmatching - you'd better step up and start practicing.

Practicing what, fading in and out of country songs?

Quote:

What happened to all this laziness, not leaving the booth, save up the money and hire someone that can pull it off with a touch of professionalism talk?

Why aren't you mixing Kenny G? Lazy Bastard. [/sarcasm]

Ahh, now are you starting to see where we are coming from.
BriChi 1:32 AM - 14 September, 2006
Playing a premixed cd is bullshit when you do mobile work and every crowd is different, It would be cool to be able to line up a prepare list for dinner based on the type of crowd you have that way if you do have to take a piss and happen to run into a guest you know you don't have to rush back to the booth within 4 minutes to play the next background track, I have been in the mobile industry for 15 years and it has nothing to do with laziness. Anyone who plays kenny g cd's for background music should be dragged out of the business, nothing like putting your guests to sleep while they are eating. If people feel that strongly about not having this then why not take the "AUTO" mode totally out, it's a waiste of programming. Kagen, No one should say using this feature is being lazy, (unless you use it to mix your dance sets too). All i am saying is when you do jobs like i do with video shows, digital pictures, plasma's, etc....you would know that during the downtime you are copying pictures onto computers and into slideshow readers for the guest to look at,,,so, during dinner, I am WORKING, and would like to not have to worry about the music for 15 minutes and concentrate on making sure my clients are happy, and my presentations look good. I agree that this feature is not needed, but if they need to put wave forms in so people can see if the beat is matched up, then why not have an auto fade. I think having the waveforms and spinning wheel are the biggest waiste of cpu power in the whole program, if you are a DJ, then you should be able to mix by ear not wave forms,,, but i am not complaining about it. If you are a real "not lazy" dj, then why can't people beat match on there own by ear, instead they add bpm readouts and wave forms,,,Now that's a joke
SUBSTANCE 6:39 PM - 15 September, 2006
It would appear that alot of 'mobile dj's' want this feature... nuff said.
djivanlopez.com 7:53 AM - 29 November, 2006
More features in SL, why are we arguing? I don't use all features in current version of SL, but my other SL user friends do. As long as the stability is still there, more features are always welcomed!