Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Linking Tracks to each other

DJ Yaz 5:30 AM - 14 December, 2004
So here's my idea...

I have about 50 crates going (I use the Itunes crates mostly). I have seperated my music into many catagories including Accapella, Instrumental and Breaks. So my complication is that when I spin hip hop I flip records really fast. I will mix in a song like "Goodies" and will bring it in first with the instrumental, then maybe play a few bars of the break (when i say break in this case I mean the pre-prepared breaks with the songs beat but some guy yelling throw your hands up over it or something). Then I will mix into the actual song. So it would rock if I could link all these tracks together in a way that didn't force me to create a bunch of new crates. So say I play "Goodies" instrumental on the right deck, then in the corner of the display on the right deck it would show me all the songs that I have linked to "Goodies". The original, the break, maybe the accapella of "Get Low" that I often mix over the instrumental of "Goodies". This way I could drag a track from this list to the left deck, and mix it in lighting quick. As it stands now I have to navigate between my Breaks, Instrumental, and Party music crates to do this. While I can do this now, I am looking for way to do it better and faster!

I know there has been some talk about integrating the Griffin Powermate into SSL. This feature would be an excellent application for this, because if I could scroll through and select one of the linked tracks, and then load it on the other deck from the powermate I would be a mixing machine!

Ideas, comments, criticisms?

Discuss... :-)
nik39 9:31 AM - 14 December, 2004
Linked tracks is a very good suggestion, I would love to see that!
djpetey 9:48 AM - 14 December, 2004
some people have been offended when people offer workarounds on this board and I dont remember if that was you, but if a workaround would work for you, i have done similar linking using a field that you dont normally tag.... example, if you dont usually use comments, you could type "goodies" in the get low accapella field and when you search for goodies on ssl, you would get the break, inst, regular song and get low accapella..... I like the concept of linked tracks, but until then, maybe thatll help
nik39 10:04 AM - 14 December, 2004
djpetey, yeah, right now I also use this "workaround", but its a pain (but better than nothing).
Imagine this linking of tracks like weblinks. You clikc on one track, and click on linked tracks, than a new list will appear will all those linked tracks, and from then you can again cick on linked tracks... Just like www, that would be awesome.
BassChamber 10:29 AM - 14 December, 2004
good point!
DJ Yaz 12:10 PM - 14 December, 2004
Quote:
some people have been offended when people offer workarounds on this board and I dont remember if that was you, but if a workaround would work for you,

Yeah, I was the one that brought up the work around thing. It really only bugs me when people use work arounds as a way of saying a particular feature is not needed, or shouldn't be included in SSL. You have a good idea though. I would still like to see tracks linked in a new release of SSL, this seems like the best solution to me?

Good Stuff!
SpinThis! 5:19 PM - 14 December, 2004
links would rock! bring them on... that could satisfy nik's (?) suggestion too about grouping files--like instrumental, acapella, and the regular version of a track together.
BadCompany 8:49 PM - 14 December, 2004
maybe this could be done with the label color?
Anton 11:18 AM - 14 February, 2006
Maybe - but no too much colors to choose from.

But any kind of linking is definitely a must have feature!
JD 4:03 AM - 17 February, 2006
This would be great.
DJ Nat 5:44 AM - 18 February, 2006
Maybe an option could be to have a comment linked also...

Then you would know the best spot to mix into the track or any other tips on how these 2 tracks mix/work well together ect.
DJ Yaz 7:30 PM - 18 February, 2006
Quote:
Maybe an option could be to have a comment linked also...

Then you would know the best spot to mix into the track or any other tips on how these 2 tracks mix/work well together ect.

Interesting.
ACME 4:08 AM - 19 February, 2006
Quote:
So it would rock if I could link all these tracks together in a way that didn't force me to create a bunch of new crates. So say I play "Goodies" instrumental on the right deck, then in the corner of the display on the right deck it would show me all the songs that I have linked to "Goodies". The original, the break, maybe the accapella of "Get Low" that I often mix over the instrumental of "Goodies". This way I could drag a track from this list to the left deck, and mix it in lighting quick.

Good idea, I think I thought something similar once... :-)

I would also like the ability to add tags/keywords to every tune, so that you can browse and search by using tags.
DJ Nat 8:15 AM - 19 February, 2006
Quote:
in the corner of the display on the right deck it would show me all the songs that I have linked to "Goodies". The original, the break, maybe the accapella of "Get Low" that I often mix over the instrumental of "Goodies". This way I could drag a track from this list to the left deck, and mix it in lighting quick.

Spot on... but, with the ability to order the list so you can have your fav mixed track at the top of list ect
Osiris 1:43 PM - 10 March, 2006
Linking tracks??? This has got to be one of the best ideas I've read so far... I would love to see it happen! :)
ilon 6:58 PM - 12 March, 2006
i love it.
mister iLL 9:01 PM - 12 March, 2006
i must have missed this originally. this is a feature that i would consider to be very important! when i use vinyl, i arrange my crates so that certain things are grouped together, so i don't have to flip through the crates to find a song that i know works well with the one that is currently playing. we should have the ability to do this in ssl as well.
ilon 5:09 AM - 13 March, 2006
for Mister ill's suggestions, i think it can work in a way where there will be a drop down menu for each track for a letter in the alphabet for each crate... kind of like color coding that is already offered.
DJ Nat 4:13 AM - 17 March, 2006
I don't care about the other features.

I WANT THIS 1!!!
BUSTAMOVE90210 12:50 AM - 19 March, 2006
Quote:
So here's my idea...

I have about 50 crates going (I use the Itunes crates mostly). I have seperated my music into many catagories including Accapella, Instrumental and Breaks. So my complication is that when I spin hip hop I flip records really fast. I will mix in a song like "Goodies" and will bring it in first with the instrumental, then maybe play a few bars of the break (when i say break in this case I mean the pre-prepared breaks with the songs beat but some guy yelling throw your hands up over it or something). Then I will mix into the actual song. So it would rock if I could link all these tracks together in a way that didn't force me to create a bunch of new crates. So say I play "Goodies" instrumental on the right deck, then in the corner of the display on the right deck it would show me all the songs that I have linked to "Goodies". The original, the break, maybe the accapella of "Get Low" that I often mix over the instrumental of "Goodies". This way I could drag a track from this list to the left deck, and mix it in lighting quick. As it stands now I have to navigate between my Breaks, Instrumental, and Party music crates to do this. While I can do this now, I am looking for way to do it better and faster!

I know there has been some talk about integrating the Griffin Powermate into SSL. This feature would be an excellent application for this, because if I could scroll through and select one of the linked tracks, and then load it on the other deck from the powermate I would be a mixing machine!

Ideas, comments, criticisms?

Discuss... :-)

good idea and more user friendly if the software is created for it. however you can do it now. type in the track title in the same order by name and then artist in your song column, and same bpm in your bpm column and they'll line up. that's how i do it.
Clark @ Breakin-Records.com 8:43 PM - 19 March, 2006
I really like the extra mini-pop-up page idea of linked tracks. I mix very quickly, w/ acapellas, etc., also, so I NEED this, too, ASAP!
DJK 6:57 AM - 20 March, 2006
Do it serato!
DJ Yaz 11:30 PM - 3 April, 2006
Bump. Please consider this Serato.
DJ Nat 12:00 AM - 4 April, 2006
Bump Bump.
ACME 1:27 PM - 4 April, 2006
A couple of ideas more about linking:
- harmonic linking, with automatic key detection
- convert labels to full tags
DeezNotes 2:14 PM - 4 April, 2006
Word.
DJ Yaz 9:56 PM - 4 April, 2006
interesting.
DJ Nat 11:01 PM - 4 April, 2006
What if you could rate each linked track out of say 5?

Then we could autogerenate a quick setlist, just pick the first track and the number of tracks. SSL would select all top rated linked tracks and put them in a new crate for mixing... How cool's that?
DJ Yaz 7:14 AM - 5 April, 2006
could you elaborate on that? I think I understand but not sure. So SSL would track how often you play one track with another, then rank them in a link window? Sounds interesting...
DJ Nat 8:26 AM - 5 April, 2006
Kind of... You rate the link between 2 tracks, so if you have more than 1 track linked to a track you know which 1 mixes best. So with this you could build a high rated set from tracks that are linked together. So you could play by manual selection, build a crate manually from linked tracks, or a SSL macro would build the list based on highest ranking, start track and number of tracks following (Auto Linked Set to Crate)...

Hope that made a bit more sense.
DJ Yaz 5:40 PM - 5 April, 2006
I think I get it.
SloMocean 11:24 PM - 7 April, 2006
linked tracks sound dope... i'm highly interested
Clark @ Breakin-Records.com 7:49 AM - 14 April, 2006
Quote:
Kind of... You rate the link between 2 tracks, so if you have more than 1 track linked to a track you know which 1 mixes best. So with this you could build a high rated set from tracks that are linked together. So you could play by manual selection, build a crate manually from linked tracks, or a SSL macro would build the list based on highest ranking, start track and number of tracks following (Auto Linked Set to Crate)...

Hope that made a bit more sense.

Why don't you just learn how to read bpm's for un-related tracks. How long have you been mixing?
DJ Yaz 9:35 AM - 14 April, 2006
Don't be a hater dude. We are trying to be productive here.
DJ Nat 12:35 PM - 14 April, 2006
Quote:
Why don't you just learn how to read bpm's for un-related tracks. How long have you been mixing?

What do you mean by "reading bpms"?

I've been mixing 4 months and going ok... My main point for this is making perfect sets for mixed CDs.

All this should really be done using our ears and wave form overviews. Mybe we are getting spoiled and a bit lazy...
Clark @ Breakin-Records.com 3:30 AM - 16 April, 2006
What do you mean by "reading bpms"?

I've been mixing 4 months and going ok... My main point for this is making perfect sets for mixed CDs.

All this should really be done using our ears and wave form overviews. Mybe we are getting spoiled and a bit lazy...

EXACTLY!

Learn the art of mixing. I'm not trying to insult you, but 4 mos.? No, using your ears is NOT the answer. Learn about BPM's:

www.newpowermagazine.com

Somebody screwed-up the formatting and layout of my column, but just read it.

I'm not in the mood to go into it. I'll just tell you two BIG basics of dj'ing: mixing and bpm's.

There's no getting around the two, so don't try to re-invent the wheel as a square if making circles is difficult to learn.
Monk-A 9:43 AM - 3 May, 2006
thats not a bad article mate...

don't agree with all of it but it wa spretty interesting.
Clark @ Breakin-Records.com 3:20 AM - 8 May, 2006
Quote:
thats not a bad article mate...

don't agree with all of it but it wa spretty interesting.

Thx, Monkey-Man. In fact, I've always liked monkies. I've been known to be called a primate here-and-there, too.

What did you disagree w/? I won't moon you like most monkies would.
Monk-A 1:51 PM - 8 May, 2006
although i have to admit that sometimes i use that start around 90-100, build up to 125-135 then drop back down i don't work out BPMs i just kinda know if soemthing will be within the BPM range, and I'll generally go for the best track to drop afterwards, even if that just means a stop button and drop

either way i think your explanation on how to build a set was pretty spot on mate.

peace
DJ Yaz 10:24 PM - 8 May, 2006
Can we stay on topic peoples?
DJ Yaz 12:52 AM - 4 June, 2006
bump
DJ Nat 2:12 AM - 4 June, 2006
1.6?
DJ Yaz 2:21 AM - 4 June, 2006
I have 1.6 and this sure isn't in it unfortunately. 1.7. start the chant 1.7 1.7 1.7 1.7 1.7 1.7 1.7 1.7 1.7 1.7 1.7 1.7 1.7 1.7 1.7 1.7 1.7 1.7 1.7 1.7 1.7 1.7 1.7 1.7 1.7 1.7
DJK 6:43 AM - 4 June, 2006
wow, 1.7 just sounds weird...
DJK 6:44 AM - 4 June, 2006
PS: @ 2.0 we get new SL2 box and a 8 channel empath with ssl integrated and a cup holder.
fingular 12:12 AM - 26 July, 2006
linked trax would be sic!!
P to the K 4:48 PM - 7 December, 2006
I hoped (and expected) that track linking would have been a feature before i got serato and really hope its added - it would be great for example linking a hip hop tracks with the original it sampled, or as suggested, to acapellas and others that mix well with it.

Maybe a links box/window could be included to the left/right of the virtual deck for linked tracks. This would behave in the same was as the main browser (ie drag or crtl+left/right arrow to load it or prepare or whatever).

This is an essential feature. Please do this!!
ekwipt 12:46 AM - 19 December, 2006
I like the idea of tracks that mix well as well as do not.

Sort of like a rating but in relation to each other..... i'm sure it would bog the system down though foe large playlists
DJ Yaz 5:06 AM - 14 February, 2007
Bumping another 2004 suggestion.
DJ Swivel 4:12 PM - 30 April, 2007
I would love to see this feature. I didn't even realize the thread started in 2004 until Yaz just bumped!!

I'm relatively new on serato, only a few months, but as a DJ this is a MUST!!!! I'm suprized this hansn't already been incorporated into the software in the 2+ years this topic has been going.

It really does need to be introduced. I was about to start my own topic until I started searching around the forums and say that others have already been talkin aobut it. RANE/SERATO, WE NEED THIS!!

For me the original idea came from playing original samples, then mixing straight into the hit record created from the sample. But often times they dont line up in BPM because the producer either sped up, or slowed down the sample to create the record. And its a huge pain searching for the record in another crate, especially when time is of the essence. I usually don't wanna play the original for more than 8 bars, so having the linking would really save on time!!!
Trystan 4:52 AM - 1 May, 2007
Quote:
What if you could rate each linked track out of say 5?

Then we could autogerenate a quick setlist, just pick the first track and the number of tracks. SSL would select all top rated linked tracks and put them in a new crate for mixing... How cool's that?

Great idea. What I do now is use the Genre, Album or Comment Field to link tracks.

ie. The Beatnuts - Watch Out (i would put that with J-Lo and vice verca)

Or put Quick Mix Medley 1 in 10-15 track I drop 15 second snippets of @ the end of the night.

This is a great idea.
Inofaith 11:18 PM - 1 May, 2007
I sometimes write the names of tracks which will mix well with the current one on the inside of the record sleeve.

I am already using the genre and album fields for their original purpose leaving only the comment field for some basic linkage.

This feat would be as essential als packing your record bag with a sort of set lay out in your head.
Mr WIlson 11:44 PM - 4 December, 2007
I like the idea of linking tracks together.
because;
if you like scratching and battle records, it's not good to have a battle record as one long track. there aren't enough markers for that to work well.
also if you chop up each individal sound as a file it can be awkward finding and changing them quickly.
it would be great to have lot of small chunks of tunes or battle breaks, and bea able to link/compile them on the fly to temporerally make one track from the chunks. This small compilation could maybe be saved as a crate of a different colour too to differentiate from normal crates. Plus you could rearrange the order of the tracks like in a playlist.
DJ Yaz 6:13 AM - 13 February, 2008
Quote:
I would love to see this feature. I didn't even realize the thread started in 2004 until Yaz just bumped!!

Word, this is some old stuff. Can we get some love on this dev team?
DJ Dill Pickle 5:57 AM - 16 February, 2008
loving this track link idea!!!
DJ FLATLINE 3:37 PM - 23 February, 2008
BUMP!
DJ Yaz 11:42 PM - 12 April, 2008
bump bitches!
DeezNotes 1:30 PM - 23 April, 2008
Just a thought...

What if there was another pane added (where Import, Review, Browse, etc. is located) which was labeled "Related" or something like that. Right now, I have some tracks tagged in a way which would show multiple results based on key words. If SSL could do an automatic search on a specific track which matches similar track names, similar artists, or whatever tags you prefer, it could dynamically give you those results in another pane without having to navigate away from where you're currently browsing. Of course we'd need a manual way to relate tracks which have no relation via tags (ex. sound), but you'd have to do this anyway to "link" tracks.

My apologies if this has been suggested here, but this similar feature found in Outlook, Spotlight, etc. just had me thinking...
AKIEM 3:38 PM - 23 April, 2008
I like that one Deez

that might even work better then 'link to crate'
DJ FLATLINE 12:10 AM - 24 April, 2008
yeah I do that also......I put the tracks I want "linked" in the remixer field and search based on keywords.
DJ Delf 8:10 AM - 26 April, 2008
I'm just thinking about one feature, which is similar to your feature DJ Yaz. When you had defined association between song and his acapella/instrumental, would be delicious to have a feature, which can switch song with his acapella respective instrumental on the same deck. For example on the left deck I'm playing the original song, then I press the "switch the left deck to acapella" button and now I'm playing the acapella on the same deck in the same part of the song. So I don't need to mix it on the right deck. Song, acapella, instrumental should be synchronized via cue point saying "1st cue of song is 1st cue of acapella" etc. Because all of them are of the same BPM, it is possible to switching them together in that easy way
AKIEM 10:02 PM - 26 April, 2008
There was a thread suggesting a file system that used three song tracks you could switch between...

and there is another thread, where I put up a tip about how to do it with ABS mode...

...but Im to lazy to find them right now
DJ Yaz 7:21 AM - 1 May, 2008
Akiem, Is your ABS method based on all the files being the same length and you just load the tracks to the deck to switch? Can you give me a hint on how to search for that? I'm interested!
AKIEM 8:08 AM - 1 May, 2008
www.scratchlive.net
dere yous goes maing

damn, I need to come up more flashyer headlines, no one even noticed that joint
DJ Yaz 4:43 AM - 7 May, 2008
Interesting. Now if only SSL gave us the option to do this easily by setting sync points on the tracks to avoid the early acapella issue.

Good thinking Akiem :)
night owl 11:35 PM - 23 May, 2008
i just write in the comment field related info ...and then when i type any related info in the search field all related items are shown ....YEH?
DJ McCoY since1986 1:35 PM - 24 May, 2008
Link, Type in Comments on Tracks you would like link, and The Main Song and then Link. When you type the name of the song and link or what ever would be easier to remember all the songs would come up in the search. This is just a easy way that I have learned without adding a feature other than more cue points which should be the next feature added.
cultureofmusik 1:54 AM - 2 June, 2008
i use both serato and native instruments for studio reasons.
but hands down on native instruments 4 decks 1 time meaning midi and 3 decks 2 decks and 1 internal with a midi sick man. check it out
easy
cultureofmusik
illkid 12:05 AM - 11 July, 2008
+1 for linking tracks
that should be a essential feature!
DJ Yaz 1:13 AM - 23 July, 2008
Post created... December 13, 2004, 9:30 PM

I want to point out that this thread is coming up on it's 4th birthday. SSL what's up?
SeriousCyrus 1:44 PM - 6 November, 2008
+1 A couple of buttons to quickly link tracks playing would be great too.
DJFoster 7:22 PM - 7 March, 2009
Yeh i totally agree, appreciate the "workaround" solution and i will def use that now, but my comments fields are already in use; i rate my tunes out of 100 in that bit. Another way is changing the colours of the bullet point things, these help you see immediately at a glance what type of sounds go together, but a more specific "link" system is needed.SSL you should address this one in the next update, its been like 4 years since this was suggested, clearly it would be very useful and not exactly the hardest application to add surely!? Come on guys!!
DJ Yaz 7:46 PM - 8 March, 2009
bump, this belongs in 2.0
analogboy_ 1:38 AM - 14 March, 2009
+1 for linking tracks here!
I play techno and, when not in full-on freestyle mode in a 100 tracks crate (much like w/ vinyls), i organize my track selection in little sequences of 3 tracks or so that have a nice interaction and then go from one seq to another.
A simple track linking feature would spare me the time & hassle of browsing loads of little crates for all my small sequences.
It would instantly multiply my "choosing the next track" skills.
serkan 9:41 PM - 23 March, 2009
Quote:
bump, this belongs in 2.0

Respact man... this thread is more than 4 years old now and you still believe in it :)

I kinda like that feature. Well I don't think that I would use it, ever. But I can think of A LOT DJ's who would just loooove that feature.
Jer10t 4:09 AM - 9 July, 2009
Hey guys did anyone come up with a solution for this? I have one:

I write program code with m$ .net, as well doing the DJ bit in my spare time. Seeing this feature request made me think, "I must have this! It will multiply my selektah by at least 10 fold!!" So I wrote the tool to do it.

The tool allows you to drag-n-drop to / from the Serato UI to create a list of tracks that pair with one you indicate. You can get a list of related tracks by dropping the current deck's song onto my app. You can add to the related list by dropping onto it. You can drag from my lists back to Serato to play it. Everything is saved in an XML file. Pretty nifty?

I will release the app in a week or two as freeware. I need time to clear up a few litlte issues with it before I feel it's ready for everyone. The major down side is I can only help Windows users since the code is VB .NET (yes I know its icky, but it's what I do).

If anyone is a programmer - I could use some help with relative paths. My app will fail to locate a file if your library ever changes to a new drive letter. Perhaps Rane has an SDK that will let me interface to their library.
casious 9:35 PM - 15 July, 2009
This is an EXCELLENT idea!!!

But rather than web site type links or popup boxes or any additional stuff in the deck area. I would like to see it like this. The way SSL is set up now you have on the left the window for the crates, to the right of that is the track list window with all your tracks. Add a third window to the right of the track list window, this window will show the related/linked songs. So as you scroll through each track in your track list, the related/linked songs show up accordingly in that third window to the right, and you can just tab over to that window, select a song and load to the deck like normal. And this window can be adjustable to make wider, narrower, or close completely for those who don't want to use this feature.

I do know how it should be programmed/set up to identify which songs you want linked because I may want Song-A to link to Song-B, and Song-B to link to Song-C, but I don't want Song-A to link to Song-C, so it can't be as simple as just checking off a box, and that's why just typing a name or something in comments or remixer fields won't necessarily work for me in all instances.

Maybe an additional setup type feature similar to + button to create a new crate. In the new Related/Linked window, there can be a plus button, where you highlight the track you want to make a group for, then click the + button, then you drag and drop the tracks you want to link, then click the + button again and some algorithm saves that grouping of all those tracks for the track you selected. Or maybe you create a new type of crate, a linked crate, then same thing, drag the files to that crate, then drag the crate to the linked window, and it saves that group, not as a crate, but to work in the way I described above. I don't know, just thinking out loud, I'll leave that up to the geniuses, but it would definitely be a usefull tool in SSL.

I'm sorry to extend this longer, but I do have to comment on people who swear that their feature suggestions are always so simple to implement. If you've ever developed a complex computer software program, or even a complex database in programs like Access or Excel, then you know that even the most simplest sounding change request, may take weeks or months to write and implement and test for proper functionality, stability, and interactions with all other pieces of the program. Not to mention the idea of having to do it for both PC and MAC (I don't know if that makes a difference, but I can't imagine it helps any). So people, please give Rane and Serato a break, we have an incredible product, and while many suggestions are really good ones, they can not work on every single one 24/7, and they can't try to do everything at once. Let's be happy that we have a great product that is stable and reliable and has to this point all that we need to be able to rock the house that we can use for an additional source of income (or to make a living if so applies to you), and let the professionals at Rane and Serato do what they do as they continue to improve on this product with FREE updates. Don't assume your "simple" request should be able to go into the next immediate release because YOU think it's not hard to implement.
Jer10t 8:53 PM - 26 July, 2009
Well I have not heard from people at Serato about this, so I'm going to go ahead and link my utility. They may remove this post if they disagree. Get it here: www.jerrio.net.

The utility is free, and will always be free for as long as I maintain it. I may also release it GPL - still pondering that.

It works basically as everyone has requested, excecpt that it does not integrate to Serato in any way. You must drag-n-drop to and from my window to interface with it. It does not read id3 tags, only shows you the file names.

My goal is to interface with Serato's library, so that I do not need to spend the effort writing code to handle id3 tags and find what drive letter your library is today... Maybe they will add it after seeing how this works.
DJ Yaz 5:12 AM - 3 August, 2009
Props to you for making that code. Serato needs to integrate this into the program though I think! Simple or not this is 2004 suggestion!! It's been 5 years. At this point it seems like they are arbitrarily excluding this feature. If that's the case they should come out and say that so we don't waste our time asking for something they have decided against.
Wizzy 4:56 PM - 3 August, 2009
Not sure if this helps but a lot of us use the comment section to tag/ link our tracks
ie: every track that goes "it takes two" with or is a cousin of.... gets the comment tag of "it takes two". Then when you search all of those tracks that go with or are associated with pop up in your search.
Bartechone 1:41 PM - 12 March, 2010
linking tracks is the first I want to see !
IRONIC 2:05 AM - 17 March, 2010
would be very cool
DJ Yaz 11:14 PM - 20 March, 2010
Looking forward to the 6th anniversary of this thread late this year. Come on guys!!!
Mr Frrreshhh 7:20 PM - 16 October, 2010
I guess it would be no problem to program this feature, so what the F*** is the matter?
why don't you Serato guys listen to your customers?
This would be a really great feature!!!
illkid 3:32 PM - 18 October, 2010
Serato we need this!
Mr Frrreshhh 10:06 AM - 25 October, 2010
I NEED this feature!!!
ocelot_ed 6:26 PM - 28 December, 2010
Not entirely sure if this angle has been suggested before, but what I reckon would be ideal for this is two additions:

1 - a button between the two decks that you can press when you like the two tunes playing together
2 - a smart crate type thing that will pop up and show tunes that go well with what you have most recently loaded into a deck, based on what pairs of tunes you've pressed the button for.
DJ_'Ready-Made'_Ren 5:31 AM - 6 February, 2011
+1 I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but what I'd like to see is the ability to load up the SP6 automatically, whether when loading a track on the decks or just loading samples.
I want to be able to link samples to a track, so that the SP-6 is populated with those same samples every time I load it. naturally, you'd run into problems if loading the same track on both decks, but you could always get around that by using the banks.

But given the lack of even a courtesy official response after all these makes me think it's barely worth mentioning.
DJ_'Ready-Made'_Ren 12:32 AM - 9 February, 2011
Perhaps I should add that we now have this feature (or at least a variation of it) with Video SL. If I can now link a video track to an audio track, couldn't the same 'technology' be used to link samples to a track? Or tracks to tracks, for that matter?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it'd be no mean feat, but it's features like these that will help keep Serato the number one choice (at least for me).

And please, if it can't or won't be done, won't someone from the dev team chip in and tell us something? I'm sorry but not a single post in a six-year old thread? It doesn't exactly inspire one with confidence.

We can always live in hope, but I never liked it there and don't visit often.
DJ Yaz 8:01 PM - 18 May, 2011
7th anniversary of this thread has come and gone. I'm just saying.
DJ Kid Stretch 8:22 AM - 20 May, 2011
very nice idea, you could also have a scratch sample linked for fast scratching!
DJ Yaz 6:09 PM - 28 May, 2011
Good call
Dj D.ONE 7:18 PM - 14 July, 2011
+1 i want this!
Mr Margaret Scratcher 2:43 AM - 29 October, 2011
I thought about this feature the other day, and it tuns out a lot of other people want it too...
Dj D.ONE 1:14 PM - 29 October, 2011
This post stared in 2004, if we still dont have it by now we prob never will.. so i guess we will have to use the workarounds :S
=A=C= 12:09 AM - 8 November, 2011
I had a similar idea today, slightly different. Without knowing about this thread I searched the forum and landed here.

Here's the idea:
I'd like to have a button that adds links between two tracks that play great together.

So imagine you're mixing at home, just improvising an unprepared set.
Every time you discover that two tracks are very compatible, you hit this button.
In the ID3tags of both songs, a link to this other file is created automatically.

After doing that for a while, each song could contain multiple links to other songs you've once marked. Songs that contain one or more links, have a symbol next to the track title. If you click on that symbol, you get a list of compatible songs to load on your other deck. This would grow year after year, until you have your whole collection covered. (Of course you're able to edit that list and remove things from it.)

With this new function you don't necessarily have to prepare your gigs anymore. You can trust on the links you made at home or during other party's.

To make it even more futuristic: This could be linked to something like the Gracenote Database, serato users have the option to share their link-data online.
You browse the online database for a certain song, and a list of compatible songs is presented based on the data entered by the serato user group.
Don't know how achievable this is technically, but it could be interesting.
Anyhow, I'd be happy with some sort of instant link button to start with. :-)
AKIEM 12:56 AM - 8 November, 2011
I like that idea
DeezNotes 8:58 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:
I like that idea

+1

Having a button in SSL that just adds a "link" flag in the MP3 tags of two or more songs sounds nice.
Dj D.ONE 7:05 AM - 9 November, 2011
Quote:
I like that idea

me too +1
Dj Ari Bozza 9:56 PM - 13 November, 2011
+1
DJ Yaz 2:08 AM - 19 November, 2011
Still asking...
DJ ROC HOUND 4:57 AM - 6 December, 2011
still liking this idea.
+1
Dj Ari Bozza 3:52 AM - 3 October, 2012
So, anyone think this is still a good ideia?
AKIEM 5:43 AM - 3 October, 2012
yes
=A=C= 10:00 PM - 3 October, 2012
+ 1 bump
actually it's the only big feature I really miss. Don't care for eyecandy or advanced video stuff.
A way to label compatible tracks should be a basic feature, in whatever form. Ideally in the way I suggested above, but I'd be happy with another implementation too. Now there's no way.

I did this already +10 years ago, when I still mixed with vinyl.
Had 'em all in plastic transparent sleeves; Each one contained a piece of paper, where I wrote compatible tracks on, while mixing @home.
I WANT THE DIGITAL VERSION OF THAT ! :-))
please developers, take note of this old thread, I'm apparently not the only one.
or can someone enlighten me, why it would be hard to implement??
Dj Ari Bozza 3:22 AM - 9 October, 2012
This would be a brilliant feature as the more you used your serato, the better your library will be and you will never lose track of the mixes that best worked.
Dj Ari Bozza 3:35 AM - 9 October, 2012
Just checked the OP's date: 2004. Yes, this idea has been around for EIGHT YEARS, yet it has not been implemented yet...

I think that the people at Rane are way too entertained making room for new hardware and other crappy software and forgetting what really got them here in the first place.

I find all of this very upsetting, as there are many easy to implement suggestions that are being overlooked and ignored.

Obviously you can't implement everything the community comes up with, but there are ridicously easy things, such as Day Mode in scratch live, that already exists on other Rane's software! Why they are unable to easily implement this is beyond me.

Rane & serato crew, i truly hope you start paying more attention to you community. You are not alone in this market anymore, and i can easily see you being slaughtered by rekordbox or even traktor if you don't step up the game
djchrischip 3:44 AM - 9 October, 2012
Quote:
Just checked the OP's date: 2004. Yes, this idea has been around for EIGHT YEARS, yet it has not been implemented yet...

I think that the people at Rane are way too entertained making room for new hardware and other crappy software and forgetting what really got them here in the first place.

I find all of this very upsetting, as there are many easy to implement suggestions that are being overlooked and ignored.

Obviously you can't implement everything the community comes up with, but there are ridicously easy things, such as Day Mode in scratch live, that already exists on other Rane's software! Why they are unable to easily implement this is beyond me.

Rane & serato crew, i truly hope you start paying more attention to you community. You are not alone in this market anymore, and i can easily see you being slaughtered by rekordbox or even traktor if you don't step up the game

+10000
BERTO 2:00 AM - 10 October, 2012
Rane has nothing to do with seratoitch... Serato deals with software and Rane hardware...you cant get mad at Rane for not having serato itch daytime mode... I understand peoples frustration but try other platforms for suggestions to Serato twitter email and facebook are good to contact them...not much serato i teractions lately on forums (maybe something big coming) midi out midi out midiout!
TrashGordon 1:17 PM - 7 January, 2013
+1

I'd love to see this feature! Would it make much easier to organize the library. This would be somethin really new!
Dj Ari Bozza 6:49 PM - 28 October, 2014
+1 Again. How about it, Rane?

Traktor doesn't have it... it would be a great idea!
=A=C= 3:07 AM - 31 October, 2014
I think this SSL section of the forum isn't monitored anymore by Serato development team, so I reposted the idea in the Serato DJ feature request forum.
Add your +1 votes there please... :-)
serato.com
DJ Angst 11:59 PM - 5 April, 2016
rekordbox has this feature now... Serato: no. Why?
Mr Wilks 11:25 PM - 4 May, 2016
+1