Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Windows 7 and itch

dave412 6:12 PM - 20 May, 2009
I have a the newest macbook and have been testing out the release canindate of windows 7(new vista) just for the hell of it in boot camp. I really have know intention of actually using windows 7 just want to know if Numark and Serato have been testing the software and hardware under this OS.
Numark, Support
sbangs 7:58 AM - 21 May, 2009
Hi Dave,

We test all updates very thoroughly to ensure maximum compatibility and best performance.
sl1pm4t 4:54 AM - 24 May, 2009
I've been running ITCH on Windows 7.
I've had one minor intermittent issue, sometimes if I disconnect and reconnect the USB cable from my NS7 I have to reboot the PC before ITCH will recognize the hardware is connected.
However, I haven't had that problem since reinstalling the NS7 driver and also I'm running the beta version of W7. Am about to update to the Release Candidate.
Numark, Support
sbangs 4:29 PM - 24 May, 2009
Please remember than the RC1 and any betas of Windows 7 are to be considered unstable versions for evaluation only.

Microsoft has made it clear that there may be some unexpected kinks which they will work out before its officially launched.

While the RC1 should be more stable than previous betas, I would strongly recommend using a tried and proved operating system such as XP.
sl1pm4t 11:46 PM - 24 May, 2009
Don't worry I know what I'm getting myself in for, and won't come crying when things play up on W7. I'm not playing out live, so can live with a few hiccups.

Anyway, further feedback. I upgraded to RC1 of Windows 7 yesterday and am experiencing a few more issues than was had on the beta. USB dropouts etc. There are still a few non-NS7 device drivers I need to track down and install so will report if things improve once the system is fully installed and patched etc.

BTW, Scratch Live is also less stable on W7 RC1.
sl1pm4t 10:41 AM - 10 June, 2009
Hi All,

Just an update on Windows 7.
At first I was having lots of trouble with W7 and Itch. USB Dropouts and audio glitches when loading new tracks etc, even tried increasing the USB buffer etc.

Then I realised Windows had set the power plan to Battery Saving mode, which meant my processor wasn't working at full speed.

Should have been obvious to me to check - but regardless, I thought I should mention it here in case it helps someone else.

Now i'm getting 99% perfect performance from Itch 1.1 B2 and Windows 7 RC1
Kmxorbit 11:27 AM - 10 June, 2009
Quote:
Now i'm getting 99% perfect performance from Itch 1.1 B2 and Windows 7 RC1

i'm interested in the 1% that is not perfect. What goes wrong there?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 10:52 PM - 10 June, 2009
Since one is a beta and the others a RC I'd say 1% is not too bad :-P
Tho again we're working on a timeline for testing to coincide with the public release of W7. So at present it's user beware.
sl1pm4t 11:19 AM - 11 June, 2009
I simply put 99% because I haven't been running it for long enough with the power management set correctly to be sure. :-)
And I'm also gradually lowering the USB buffer to really test it.
dave412 7:28 PM - 11 June, 2009
Thats cool of you to test it out. I just hope Windows 7 gives some vista users that are problems some right now some relief.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 10:11 PM - 11 June, 2009
I hope so too :D
Although Vista isn't as bad as people make out, it just takes a lot more tweaking than XP.
KLH 1:03 AM - 12 June, 2009
@Matt-C, does your comment mean that Vista/Win7 is now on par with XP, as opposed to Serato's previous stance (www.serato.com)?

-KLH
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 1:59 AM - 12 June, 2009
That FAQ was written at 1.7.2. Latops have come a long way since then, so are better able to work with Vista. My experience is that once you cut things back within Vista you should be able to get good performance. Although it depends on your computer and how the resources are being managed. Which is why XP is often the better choice.

But I am hoping that W7 will have come more streamlined and allow users to add the things that most don't need later. This would help many users get a more Mac like experience.
KLH 6:56 AM - 12 June, 2009
Fair enough. It seems that the tweaks for Vista/Win7 are just NOW being solidified - which is fine, but it's frustrating to have to choose between affordability and performance...

I'm a power user, so I don't mind tweaking at all, but at the end of the day performance always wins. I wonder if there are "known good" vista configs (ie dell latitude d630) that seem to be as stable as MacBooks or MacBook pros...

-KLH
sl1pm4t 1:15 PM - 12 June, 2009
My experience with W7 in general has been very good. Very fast (boot ups and general operation), my battery life has improved and I like the interface improvements (looks better than MacOS :-P ).
However, I was a Vista user for a year before that (on this same laptop), and didn't mind that either, so clearly i'm a fan.
I will say, that having to work on XP at work is a bummer for me. Lots of features I miss.
dave412 5:20 PM - 12 June, 2009
Quote:
My experience with W7 in general has been very good. Very fast (boot ups and general operation), my battery life has improved and I like the interface improvements (looks better than MacOS :-P ).
However, I was a Vista user for a year before that (on this same laptop), and didn't mind that either, so clearly i'm a fan.
I will say, that having to work on XP at work is a bummer for me. Lots of features I miss.

I assume you were kiiding when you said that W7 looks like or looks better than the Mac OS.
sl1pm4t 11:06 PM - 12 June, 2009
Nope. It's a fact.
kraal 11:56 PM - 12 June, 2009
opinions are not facts....
Kmxorbit 3:47 PM - 14 June, 2009
W7 doesn't look that bad at all, and the RC of W7 is surprisingly vivid and fast.
Ok, I use both platforms now, and both have their (dis)advantages...
It's a question of taste I guess.
VJ Kurve 3:55 PM - 14 June, 2009
Just installed W7 RC1 yesterday and spun for 6 hours running Itch 1.0.5 at a gig last night and had no problems! Can't wait for the final release of W7!
djamiri 8:54 PM - 14 June, 2009
Question to those running W7 and ITCH, did you download the 32-bit or 64-bit versions of W7? Just wondering if 64-bit W7 will work with Itch.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 11:45 PM - 14 June, 2009
Windows 7 was officially taking some pointers from OSX so that would be why W7 is looking slightly OSX-like.
dave412 12:33 AM - 15 June, 2009
Quote:
Windows 7 was officially taking some pointers from OSX so that would be why W7 is looking slightly OSX-like.

I agree with W7 looking slightly like OSX. Its good that they take pointers from a great OS.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 12:55 AM - 15 June, 2009
If OSX destroys Windows with satisfaction ratings of the closest alternative in Windows (and over 5 times that of some Windows versions) then no wonder Microsoft feel that Apple are onto something...
VJ Kurve 9:56 AM - 16 June, 2009
Quote:
Question to those running W7 and ITCH, did you download the 32-bit or 64-bit versions of W7? Just wondering if 64-bit W7 will work with Itch.

The 32-bit version. Still no support for 64-bit systems. =(
Richard Pagan 1:09 PM - 21 April, 2013
I just switched from windows vista to windows 7 on pc because vista kept freezing on me. Now windows 7 stalled on me also. I am using the numark ns6 and Serato itch. And it still freezes when I am playing in the house. It would be embarrassing if I play at a party and this freezes on me. Can someone help?
hamplifier 8:34 PM - 21 April, 2013
ive had no problems with windows 7 at all
M-anbe 8:01 PM - 26 April, 2013
Quote:
I just switched from windows vista to windows 7 on pc because vista kept freezing on me. Now windows 7 stalled on me also. I am using the numark ns6 and Serato itch. And it still freezes when I am playing in the house. It would be embarrassing if I play at a party and this freezes on me. Can someone help?

upgrade the ns6 firmware, i had the same prob with the ns6 + ns7
Richard Pagan 12:52 PM - 19 June, 2013
I just got a macbook pro, I am using the NS6 with serato itch, I thought I was good. But now serato itch is still freezing on me. I also hit the play button and it will not play. What can I do?
Please give me the steps to follow to fix this.