DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DJing in school Gymnasium for Beef/Beer

Fvizone 6:56 PM - 8 October, 2015
Hey guys, new to the forums here! Name is Sergio, and I'm looking for help.

I am DJing a Beef/Beer as a donation to the family. Currently I have yet to look at the gymnasium (lets use gym for short). But under my assumptions, usually school gyms are fairly large with lots of acoustical problems. Right now, the event is a week and two days away (aka my time to prepare). I have two (2) Alto Ts112A speakers as my mains (I am a mobile DJ, so please do not hate) and that is it. It's going to be approximately 100-150 people max, and need to know if having these two speakers ONLY will be do-able. If not, what kind of upgrade am I looking at? I already have lights and whatnot covered (not so much for a gym, but they will do the trick).
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:37 PM - 8 October, 2015
2 2way 800watt speakers for a gym.....have fun with that
Fvizone 7:40 PM - 8 October, 2015
Quote:
2 2way 800watt speakers for a gym.....have fun with that

Listen, I'm not trying to receive any kind of smart comments, only trying to receive advice/help.
DJ Reflex 1:17 AM - 9 October, 2015
A sub would help a lot. If you're not trying to blast the snot out of everyone, then you might be OK with just your tops and a sub or two. If you're trying to rock the place, then you'll need at least double what you have AND subs.
Fvizone 2:51 PM - 9 October, 2015
Quote:
A sub would help a lot. If you're not trying to blast the snot out of everyone, then you might be OK with just your tops and a sub or two. If you're trying to rock the place, then you'll need at least double what you have AND subs.

Thank you so much for your reply. I talked to my buddy and he's going to let me borry his 18" sub, and I now have another alto 12" on it's way for a monitor/help for that umphf. I will keep that set up in mind though, thank you so much!!
dj_soo 2:06 AM - 10 October, 2015
careful with those altos - they can blow very easily if you push them past their limits and because they're a quiet, entry level speaker in a large room, it can be very easy to push it past its limits.
desmorider 2:09 AM - 10 October, 2015
2 quality tops and 4-8 decent subs minimum for a gym if you want decent spl.
Fvizone 2:13 AM - 10 October, 2015
Quote:
careful with those altos - they can blow very easily if you push them past their limits and because they're a quiet, entry level speaker in a large room, it can be very easy to push it past its limits.

Without a doubt. I keep them under the signal clip and I don't let that red dot appear what-so-ever. I've done an 8 hour event in 90 degree weather with these outside of the tent before and they handled great. It was a sweet 16 outside in the back yard, when everyone went up front to play volleyball, I shut them off to make sure they stayed cool. They handled really well, especially for 8 hours. I stayed away from the 15", which are apparently more prone to being blown.
DJ'Que 4:25 AM - 11 October, 2015
if no one is dancing and your just playing must then your 2 tops will be ok. but if its a dance your going to need atleast 2 dual 15" tops (name brand) 2 dual 18" subs (name brand)
Fvizone 2:35 AM - 13 October, 2015
Quote:
if no one is dancing and your just playing must then your 2 tops will be ok. but if its a dance your going to need atleast 2 dual 15" tops (name brand) 2 dual 18" subs (name brand)

Yeah, it's a Beef and Beer so basically everyone is going to be sitting down and chatting really. But I will also keep that setup in mind, thank you!
desmorider 3:43 AM - 13 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, it's a Beef and Beer so basically everyone is going to be sitting down and chatting really. But I will also keep that setup in mind, thank you!

where are you located? what is a beef and beer?
DJ'Que 4:55 AM - 13 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

im guess beef jerky and beer fest.
Fvizone 5:08 AM - 14 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's an event for a charity that is open to the public. It's a private event, meaning it's for close friends and family, but it's public due to anyone is allowed to come. My uncle's girlfriend's dad was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer and the operation is thousands of bucks. So people come together and help support by purchasing tickets. In return for those who purchase tickets, you get raffles, free food, and drinks.

Fvizone 5:08 AM - 14 October, 2015
I didn't mean to type in the quote, I'm on my phone so I apologize.
DJ Lowrider 2:13 PM - 14 October, 2015
Quote:

I run my Alto TS112a's through a mixer, which I connect my controller to. This way I keep the channel and master volume on the controller to no more than 50%, that way I can drive the alto's pretty hard without them peaking. No issues yet doing that, and I've been using them for two years.

I'd imagine the three alto's you have with the sub will be ok if it's more of a sit down/eating affair. Good luck!
Taipanic 2:45 PM - 14 October, 2015
For background levels of volume you should be OK with the two tops and a sub. As stated, careful about overdriving those Altos, they will sound puny in that big room and Altos don't have a lot of tolerance being driven hard. If you needed to play at dancing volume levels I'd recommend renting a better system.
DJ'Que 3:59 PM - 14 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I run my Alto TS112a's through a mixer, which I connect my controller to. This way I keep the channel and master volume on the controller to no more than 50%, that way I can drive the alto's pretty hard without them peaking. No issues yet doing that, and I've been using them for two years.

I'd imagine the three alto's you have with the sub will be ok if it's more of a sit down/eating affair. Good luck!
are you talking about a mixing board or a mixer. either way you can blow them speakers. if you push them to hard. A mixing board will give you cleaner sound if your speakers can handle it.
DJ Lowrider 9:43 AM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
are you talking about a mixing board or a mixer. either way you can blow them speakers. if you push them to hard. A mixing board will give you cleaner sound if your speakers can handle it.

Just the trusty old mixer I used to run my technics off, but keep the levels down on my controller so the software never goes into the red. I always monitor the speakers throughout my sets to make sure the speakers aren't peaking into the red themselves, and not had any issues so far.
Fvizone 1:17 AM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:
For background levels of volume you should be OK with the two tops and a sub. As stated, careful about overdriving those Altos, they will sound puny in that big room and Altos don't have a lot of tolerance being driven hard. If you needed to play at dancing volume levels I'd recommend renting a better system.

No worries about over driving, I'm extremely careful with them. No dancing so I will be okay.

Quote:
Just the trusty old mixer I used to run my technics off, but keep the levels down on my controller so the software never goes into the red. I always monitor the speakers throughout my sets to make sure the speakers aren't peaking into the red themselves, and not had any issues so far.

I do exactly what you do, except I don't have a mixer plugged into my controller. I use my controller straight into the PA. I make sure they don't clip/peak on the actual speaker itself, or on my controller.
Fvizone 2:52 AM - 21 October, 2015
Event has passed, it went very well. It was a small gym, which made it annoying, but it was very doable. 2 mains + monitor, as well as one sub was enough to cover half to 3/4th 's of the gym with 150 people. I like that as if people don't like the music, they can go in an area that doesn't hit them that hard. Only problem was figuring out the mic announcements as people couldn't hear me too well, or they were all just drunk and weren't paying attention.