Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Received my DJM-S9

Mick Swell 4:20 PM - 4 October, 2015
I received my DJM-S9, and it's beautiful. Just wanted to give a heads up, Serato DJ 1.7.8 doesn't support the S9 but the 1.8 beta does, even though I didn't see it in the notes. When you connect the S9 with Serato dj 1.8 beta it prompts you to install the driver. Very very dope mixer.
dj Krazey leo 5:11 PM - 4 October, 2015
Videos photos anything. Let's see
Mick Swell 5:21 PM - 4 October, 2015
Will post a photos when I am back home tonight.
A_Jack 11:35 AM - 5 October, 2015
1.8 Beta???
nick3597 11:44 AM - 5 October, 2015
cool mick where are you located?
Mick Swell 3:07 PM - 5 October, 2015
Quote:
cool mick where are you located?

In California. I ordered mine through guitar center and they received it in the warehouse and shipped it out. I think they are back on backorder now.
JaeOneMusic 5:20 PM - 5 October, 2015
Good to know. I will be picking mine up when It arrives at my local GC tomorrow.
JaeOneMusic 5:24 PM - 5 October, 2015
I'm not on the forum often. Where/how does one acquire the 1.8 beta? I want to be all set up before I pick it up tomorrow.
Mick Swell 8:54 PM - 5 October, 2015
@JaeOneMusic I got an email to join the beta, I think if you search around you will find it in the forums.

Let me know how you like your S9, I love it except for one thing which is really bothering me. The cut in on the fader is like 3-4mm of dead space before the sound cuts in, and this is with the fader curve on the sharpest setting. I have to move the fader at least 3-4mm when scratching to get the volume to cut in. Compared to my rane 62's 1mm cut in, this is annoying. Let me know if you have that same thing going on with yours. Thanks!
JaeOneMusic 10:17 PM - 5 October, 2015
Does it have bumpers that need to inserted internally? I will have it tomorrow and I can check for you then!
deejdave 11:51 PM - 5 October, 2015
Quote:
@JaeOneMusic I got an email to join the beta, I think if you search around you will find it in the forums.

This were instructions NOT to share any info on this.
deejdave 11:52 PM - 5 October, 2015
Quote:

*THERE were...........................
JaeOneMusic 12:22 AM - 6 October, 2015
Well damn, I can understand why, but hopefully someone will help me out since I will have my s9 tomorrow according to UPS.

Hitting the floors but no public software available for use? That would be super weak.
deejdave 12:30 AM - 6 October, 2015
You should contact Serato directly ASAP and ask what your options are in terms of support.

support.serato.com

If you are in a super rush you can always call @ +64 9 304 0899 keeping in mind this is New Zealand so I would exhaust other contact methods first.
JaeOneMusic 5:11 AM - 6 October, 2015
Thanks.

I sent an email to them using the link you provided. Hopefully this is sorted out soon. Kind of disheartening to spend that much on a mixer without finalized software available for it.
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:02 AM - 6 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Yep that's one way to sure get banned from being on a beta ever again.
JaeOneMusic 10:39 AM - 6 October, 2015
That option has already been understood and squashed. Next.

Anyone have any more useful info? Thanks.
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:41 AM - 6 October, 2015
Quote:
That option has already been understood and squashed. Next.

Anyone have any more useful info? Thanks.

Yep wait until the mixer is released to buy with the software.

Muppet NEXT
JaeOneMusic 10:49 AM - 6 October, 2015
Muppet? All I am saying is yea, that has been understood now. We can't and aren't allowed to be discussing the 1.8 beta on the forum. I get it.

As far as being released, I didn't have any special hook up or anything. It was available, I bought it, etc.

Hopefully Serato support gets back to me sometime soon. If anyone else has any useful info they can share that is within community guidelines, thanks in advance.
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:56 AM - 6 October, 2015
This is your best bet, or contact Pioneer as they also wont be happy that stores are selling the mixer.

Quote:
You should contact Serato directly ASAP and ask what your options are in terms of support.

support.serato.com

If you are in a super rush you can always call @ tel:+64 9 304 0899 keeping in mind this is New Zealand so I would exhaust other contact methods first.

You could also try E-mail sales@serato.com
JaeOneMusic 11:02 AM - 6 October, 2015
Thanks! I already exhausted those methods as stated above (besides the call to NZ).

Hopefully I get a response and am not waiting too long for corporate entities to duke it out over who screwed up. LOL.

But yea, I noticed GC no longer had the "arrival/avail" date listed. I called the store, asked them about it. The guy there said, "yes, our main distribution warehouse has them, so I can have it shipped to the store." Naturally I figured it was all good. Purchased it, had it shipped to the store, and then a few days later noticed the date was back on the web page, even though the shipment was already on its way.

*Shrugs* Apparently I've been caught up in some nonsense.
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:27 AM - 6 October, 2015
Ya sure looks like it, Serato will sort you out they good like that. Just wont do it on these open forums. Remeber they are all in bed asleep at the mo haha
JaeOneMusic 11:31 AM - 6 October, 2015
Yup. I am not expecting a response for another 8-12 hours or so.

Understood. Thanks!

I will update once I hear back.
nick3597 1:56 PM - 6 October, 2015
Anyone know when this will be in the uk? and mick that is interesting about the curve on the fader it should cut it straight away with minimal gap on sharpest curve setting any pics??
DJ Sidies 2:20 PM - 6 October, 2015
Quote:
Anyone know when this will be in the uk? and mick that is interesting about the curve on the fader it should cut it straight away with minimal gap on sharpest curve setting any pics??

I would also like to see pics of this as I have pre ordered?

I have ordered from dj kit in the UK but they don't know when it will be in stock
nick3597 2:29 PM - 6 October, 2015
Hi dj sidies I've ordered from dj kit also let me know on here if your hear anything please thanks
DJ Sidies 3:43 PM - 6 October, 2015
You to mate
boabmatic 3:49 PM - 6 October, 2015
westenddj.co.uk have a eta of 30th Oct on their website, and they tend to get gear at launch day.
JaeOneMusic 3:57 PM - 6 October, 2015
I will post some pics up this afternoon.
Culprit 5:07 PM - 6 October, 2015
yeah I heard a few got shipped. Congrats dude!
Mick Swell 8:44 PM - 6 October, 2015
Well I made a mistake, my apologies, I obviously didn't have any cruel intention. I assumed the mixer was released and people receive them as they become available. I actually got word today from a pioneer customer service rep that they were released on accident, not sure how I was supposed to know that. Anyway, I'll be waiting for the manuals and info when they are actually released.
Mick Swell 8:54 PM - 6 October, 2015
Quote:

I can't do the pic right now but I will try to get a video posted somewhere so you can see. The cut is just under 3mm out, measured it. This isn't that big but compared to 1mm on a rane it makes a difference with crabs and quick fader scratches.
JaeOneMusic 9:01 PM - 6 October, 2015
No need to apologize, as it isn't our fault.

GC screwed up. I'm on the way to get mine now. Hell, it is paid for.

Serato got back to me. Told me what I already know, which is that I need the 1.8 beta. Wasn't provided info on how to attain it.
Mick Swell 11:21 PM - 6 October, 2015
Apologies for posting about the beta in the general forums as well. Honest mistake. I was under the impression that the beta forum is only for bugs, since I wasn't reporting a bug I didn't post there. Won't happen again.
JaeOneMusic 11:36 PM - 6 October, 2015
Serato got back to me. Had to provide proof of purchase. I'll let everyone know how it goes in a few hours.
Mick Swell 12:44 AM - 7 October, 2015
Quote:
Serato got back to me. Had to provide proof of purchase. I'll let everyone know how it goes in a few hours.

Let me know about the cutoff you experience bro, I am curious. Thanks.
JaeOneMusic 5:04 AM - 7 October, 2015
Mick, I experienced the exact same thing as you, but figured out how to change it.

1. Click the set up tab in Serato.
2. Go to the Audio tab, between DJ Preferences and CD/Vinyl tab
3. Click "Custom" and this will open the DJM-S9 setting utility
4. Click on the preference tab, you should see an adjustment for the gap in the fader cut in you speak of.

Perhaps you can help me out now. LOL I am trying to get it to run in Relative/Abs mode. So far it only runs in Internal.

I am sure I am overlooking something hella dumb, but I am a long time SSL user so all this new stuff is gonna take me a bit to learn.
JaeOneMusic 5:21 AM - 7 October, 2015
I'm in business now. Time to see what part of the software I can break LOL.
nick3597 9:56 AM - 7 October, 2015
So is the faded curve adjustable through serato software ? Thanks
nick3597 1:06 PM - 7 October, 2015
sorry fader
Mick Swell 2:39 PM - 7 October, 2015
Quote:
Mick, I experienced the exact same thing as you, but figured out how to change it.

1. Click the set up tab in Serato.
2. Go to the Audio tab, between DJ Preferences and CD/Vinyl tab
3. Click "Custom" and this will open the DJM-S9 setting utility
4. Click on the preference tab, you should see an adjustment for the gap in the fader cut in you speak of.

Perhaps you can help me out now. LOL I am trying to get it to run in Relative/Abs mode. So far it only runs in Internal.

I am sure I am overlooking something hella dumb, but I am a long time SSL user so all this new stuff is gonna take me a bit to learn.

Hey JaeOne, thanks for your input.

I was half asleep trying this but I don't remember seeing the custom button, so when I go home I will give it a go again. Just to make sure, you are not talking about the latency slider are you?

Quote:
So is the faded curve adjustable through serato software ? Thanks

Hey Nick, I am going to confirm this today when I get home.

However, through further experimentation I came across something very interesting. Please keep in mind the fader curve adjustment from the mixer is set all the way to the sharpest cut and the fader tension is all the way light. When there is absolutely no laptop connected through the usb and you are playing vinyl only, the cutoff of the crossfader is 1mm. So if I move the crossfader from all the way left where it is only playing the left deck only 1mm in towards the right, the right deck cuts in at full volume. This is fantastic and what I want always. Now this is the weird part. At this point the crossfader has been moved in from left to right 1mm and there is full volume and I have left the crossfader at this point. I now take the usb and connect it to the laptop, and this is not with serato dj open, this is just connecting the usb to the laptop. As soon as the usb is connected, the S9 recognizes a computer has been connected and boom! The sound shuts off. I now have to move the fader in towards the right more to get volume which brings me to the original problem, about a 2.5-3mm cut in to get volume to come through again. So:

With no laptop connected and just playing vinyl, the cutoff = 1mm. PERFECTION!

With a laptop connected, no serato playing vinyl, or serato and playing serato control records, cutoff = 2.5-3mm. =(

Now this for some people won't matter at all. But it matters for me and i'm sure for others as well. I still enjoy using vinyl to scratch and when I am performing fast clicks or crabs with the fader, not all the sounds come through because my fader hand doesn't click the fader far enough.

I am going to make a quick video and post it on youtube with a link to demonstrate to the pioneer team what is going on. Now I don't know anything regarding programming by any means, but the fact that the cutoff changes when a laptop is connected makes me think that it is a programming issue and can be solved with a firmware update so the cutoff is 1mm at all times.

Thoughts anyone?
nick3597 3:41 PM - 7 October, 2015
Thanks that's explained things quite a lot very odd maybe it's a driver problem
JaeOneMusic 4:14 PM - 7 October, 2015
Guys, as I explained above, follow the steps, or go into the applications folder and find the Pioneer utility and you can change it there. Trust me.

The exact dead space you are talking about is taken care of in that manner.

If you can't get into the Pioneer application through Serato the way I explained above, you can access it through the applications folder on your drive. Once you set it, the mixer retains the setting, so even with no laptop connected you have the dead space before cut in you prefer.
Mick Swell 4:22 PM - 7 October, 2015
Quote:
Guys, as I explained above, follow the steps, or go into the applications folder and find the Pioneer utility and you can change it there. Trust me.

The exact dead space you are talking about is taken care of in that manner.

If you can't get into the Pioneer application through Serato the way I explained above, you can access it through the applications folder on your drive. Once you set it, the mixer retains the setting, so even with no laptop connected you have the dead space before cut in you prefer.

Beautiful I love it! Thanks JaeOne, I will try it when I get home first thing. This will make it truly the mixer of my dreams. Ha!
JaeOneMusic 4:29 PM - 7 October, 2015
This forum software is pretty archaic. I would attach a pic but I don't wanna upload it somewhere first.

But yeah, trust me, it is there. Skip getting to the setting utility through Serato.

Instead, go to your applications folder, find the Pioneer folder, click on the "DJM-S9 setting utility" icon, then navigate to the "Preference" tab.

At the bottom you'll see a virtual slider. It says "Adjust the silence amount at either end of the cross fader."

You can adjust it from 0.3mm to 5.5mm. Once it is adjusted it will be saved. The default is somewhere in the middle at about 3mm.
JaeOneMusic 4:32 PM - 7 October, 2015
I actually had mine adjusted last night at about 0.3mm and I find it to be too little silence. I think 1mm is the sweet spot.
Mick Swell 4:38 PM - 7 October, 2015
Quote:
This forum software is pretty archaic. I would attach a pic but I don't wanna upload it somewhere first.

But yeah, trust me, it is there. Skip getting to the setting utility through Serato.

Instead, go to your applications folder, find the Pioneer folder, click on the "DJM-S9 setting utility" icon, then navigate to the "Preference" tab.

At the bottom you'll see a virtual slider. It says "Adjust the silence amount at either end of the cross fader."

You can adjust it from 0.3mm to 5.5mm. Once it is adjusted it will be saved. The default is somewhere in the middle at about 3mm.

Quote:
I actually had mine adjusted last night at about 0.3mm and I find it to be too little silence. I think 1mm is the sweet spot.

Wow man thank you so much. This has been driving me crazy and I thought it was doomed. I am going to try today around 5pm when I get home. Again, thank you.
JaeOneMusic 4:45 PM - 7 October, 2015
Quote:

Wow man thank you so much. This has been driving me crazy and I thought it was doomed. I am going to try today around 5pm when I get home. Again, thank you.

No problem, brotha. Let me know how it goes. I stayed up until about 2:30 am messing around.

This mixer is the bomb. The lay out is awesome. I like it much more than the 62's my friends own. I have been on an old Ecler/Tascam XS8 that I stuck an SL1 circuit board inside of years ago. LOL
Mick Swell 5:01 PM - 7 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

No problem, brotha. Let me know how it goes. I stayed up until about 2:30 am messing around.

This mixer is the bomb. The lay out is awesome. I like it much more than the 62's my friends own. I have been on an old Ecler/Tascam XS8 that I stuck an SL1 circuit board inside of years ago. LOL

Wow that's crazy lol. I agree fully, this mixer is amazing. I have been using the Rane 62 since it came out but the S9 is way better. I am going to be selling the Rane.
JaeOneMusic 6:02 PM - 7 October, 2015
Only thing I miss from my Ecler is a switch to go from master/cue signal immediately instead of the knob.
p45 7:57 PM - 7 October, 2015
Quote:
westenddj.co.uk have a eta of 30th Oct on their website, and they tend to get gear at launch day.

Boab i was in westenddj yesterday they had one out on display in the shop.
boabmatic 9:11 PM - 7 October, 2015
Yeah paul.. I saw a vid on their Facebook with A Guy called Gerard checking it out..

U get to try it out ?
p45 9:26 AM - 11 October, 2015
Boab

had a quick go and i want one! 62 might be heading for early retirement !
Culprit 10:22 AM - 11 October, 2015
Quote:
Boab

ughhhhhhh :/
JaeOneMusic 1:06 AM - 12 October, 2015
Yup, super glad I waited. I'm loving my s9 so far. Definitely prefer it over the 62.
boabmatic 11:25 AM - 12 October, 2015
Quote:
Boab

I just want to stick my head in the sand and never see one in the flesh as I cant justify a new mixer after just picking a new 15inch MBP ..
Dj Bestow 2:20 PM - 19 October, 2015
Waiting for mines bought it from Pro Audio Star.
Frankie Glasses 7:38 PM - 19 October, 2015
Quote:
Waiting for mines bought it from Pro Audio Star.

did they give you a delivery date?
Dj Bestow 7:43 PM - 19 October, 2015
So just got off the phone with them and most likely end of November. Pioneer hasn't shipped any out yet from what he said. Spoke with another store and they confirmed the same thing, end of November most likely.
Frankie Glasses 8:00 PM - 19 October, 2015
damn...
Dj Bestow 8:40 PM - 19 October, 2015
Quote:
damn...

Yep was really hoping for late October. Had a bunch of gigs from here to mid November. Oh well back to the Vestax til then.
Mr. Goodkat 4:57 PM - 20 October, 2015
im hearing last week of the month at GC, might call around to some stores to see if they are available. pretty sure they are taking pre orders.
Dj Bestow 5:28 PM - 20 October, 2015
Quote:
im hearing last week of the month at GC, might call around to some stores to see if they are available. pretty sure they are taking pre orders.

I have a feeling Pioneer going to push back release date another two weeks.
DJ Sidies 6:32 PM - 20 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I have a feeling Pioneer going to push back release date another two weeks.

Why would they do this?
WarpNote 1:52 AM - 21 October, 2015
Quote:
Why would they do this?

Probably because shipping the units from China took longer than expected?
Pretty common issue..... They wanna be ready to deliver in all parts of the world at the same time. Loads of unhappy US customers last time, when they shipped in europe before the US.
(Somehow Rane always do the opposite and "nobody" cares....)
DJ Lil Vito 3:18 AM - 21 October, 2015
I don't believe this guy. Said he'd take a photo yet nothing.
DJ Sidies 6:30 AM - 21 October, 2015
But they have enough to ship them to loads of djs but the people who have paid they don't.
Dj Blee 7:19 AM - 21 October, 2015
I know this is gonna make me that guy but I put down money on that whole gold set...... Definitely can't wait to get it. I've had 1 GC said I'm 100% going to get it but I'm still nervous it's not gonna show up.
Dj Bestow 10:30 AM - 21 October, 2015
Quote:
I don't believe this guy. Said he'd take a photo yet nothing.

Thats what im saying lol...damn trolls.

Quote:
I know this is gonna make me that guy but I put down money on that whole gold set...... Definitely can't wait to get it. I've had 1 GC said I'm 100% going to get it but I'm still nervous it's not gonna show up.

Just go for it bro. You will have it very soon after pre-order. WarpNote said it best, pretty sure there waiting on shipments from China. Couple stores confirmed this also after asking them. Should be any day now to be honest.
Dj Bestow 10:50 AM - 21 October, 2015
"Our Supplier has informed us we will receive our next shipment of this model the week of 10/30/15. If you can't wait, call us at 855-272-1087 and we'll suggest other possible solutions. You'll see why MusiciansFriend.com is the #1 destination for musical gear on the Internet!"

Hmmmmmmm....
DJ Tecniq 1:36 AM - 23 October, 2015
That shit ain't shipping out till Nov 1st in the US who's he kidding...
JaeOneMusic 8:42 PM - 29 October, 2015
What does everyone think about the default amount of silence present at the end of each side of the cross fader when the laptop is not connected? I dunno about you guys, but I still enjoy coming home sometimes and practicing my cuts without needing my laptop out.

Check out this video for what I am referring to...

Watchwww.youtube.com

I really feel that they need to make the default amount smaller in another firmware update.
DJCASHWELL 2:53 AM - 30 October, 2015
have you tried recording mixes with it yet? just wondering if there are any glitches with that part of the hardware/software. how is the sound quality from the outputs when hooked up to mobile or club sound system? how does the mic sound? these are all previous issues from past pioneer initial controller/mixer releases.
Dj Bestow 3:01 PM - 30 October, 2015
musiciansfriend.com got them in stock. Just spoke with them and if ordered today will receive Monday or Tuesday a home.

www.musiciansfriend.com
Mr. Goodkat 11:20 PM - 31 October, 2015
how is everyone liking the mixer, got my demo on and it was interesting.

its gonna take some time to get used to it, but its like the new ttm57.

very impressed. lotta options and a little cramped but i think im gonna pull the trigger
Dj Bestow 11:32 PM - 31 October, 2015
Quote:
how is everyone liking the mixer, got my demo on and it was interesting.

its gonna take some time to get used to it, but its like the new ttm57.

very impressed. lotta options and a little cramped but i think im gonna pull the trigger

Nice, another two weeks most likely for me till pre-order comes in.
JaeOneMusic 1:31 AM - 1 November, 2015
Make sure you guys watch the video here first before committing to this mixer.

Watchwww.youtube.com

It is covered in the manual, but they need to get the default fader silence space FIXED now. Once they do that, I have no doubt in my preference of this over the 62.
BBN 1:30 PM - 1 November, 2015
Over here in Germany it looks like every shop has another delivery date.
Some say Dec. 1st, others say Nov. 4th.
The Rane Sixty-Two was the best mixer I ever had in more than 20 years, but I had to preorder that S9, just because I want to leave my DDJ-SP1 and Dicer at home now and Mojaxx's review video answered all my open questions.
I'm still hoping to receive the mixer this week.
DJ Sidies 2:29 PM - 1 November, 2015
The Guy at DJkit.com told me that they are at the Warehouse in Berlin & will be shipped to the UK this work. So I hope to have mine by the weekend.
Sticky K 4:11 PM - 1 November, 2015
As a long time Rane owner as well, the S9 seems to have the right stuff combining what I liked in the 57 and 62. Im currently using a 62 and must admit theres stuff i hardly ever use or need my X1 for better workflow. Im pretty sure i could leave the X1 at home for video sets and map all i need to one of the user modes for video effects...

Put in my pre order last week but still going to keep the 62.

Needed to know if it comes with vinyl and the guy in this video made me laugh. Sounds like hes having an orgasm hehehhehe. Best unboxing so far.

youtu.be
DJ_X_Trodinaire 6:17 PM - 1 November, 2015
My son and I went and looked at the S9
instagram.com
deejdave 7:51 PM - 1 November, 2015
I love how you are with your son........... I have a son who is just shy of 7 months and I can NOT wait to include him in my excursions!!