Websites Discussion

Talk about our websites Serato.com and Whitelabel.net
To talk about a Serato product such as Scratch Live or ITCH please find the appropriate forum area.

Preview Player

Fakeem 4:18 PM - 11 May, 2009
The preview player won't load. I don't want to waste time downloading songs without hearing them first. When will the player be fixed?
Serato, Support
ChrisD 10:25 PM - 11 May, 2009
The preview player works fine for me.

You must have javascript enabled for the preview player to work. If it's disabled the player won't load.

If you have any pop-up blockers installed you'll have to set them to allow pop-ups from the whitelabel.net domain.

What browser and OS are you using Fakeem?
Fakeem 2:56 PM - 14 May, 2009
XP and IE7. The pop up player worked the first time i used it , but hasn't worked since.
Fakeem 2:57 PM - 14 May, 2009
also, whitelabel.net is in my allowed list
Serato, Support
ChrisD 10:50 PM - 14 May, 2009
Hmmm, strange - I re-tested the preview player in IE7 and IE6 on XP and it works OK for me.

I was asked if I wanted to allow pop-ups from the whitelabel.net domain, I said yes, the page reloaded, then I could open the preview player.

Do you see any yellow exclamation marks on the status bar at the bottom of the browser window? These indicate javascript errors. If you can see a yellow exclamation mark then click it and see what the error message is.

Confused...
Fakeem 2:44 PM - 16 May, 2009
It doesn't get that far. When i try to open the player in another tab, it closes immediately. When I click the preview button, nothing happens at all.
There are no exclamation marks or error messages. There is a green checkmark, yet nothing else happens.
cooquist 9:58 PM - 16 May, 2009
I have the same problem. IE 6, IE 7 and IE 8 : it happens on them all. I thought is was a popblocker but it says allowed just like Fakeem. And I just went to Java and all is running fine according to their tools.
Fakeem 1:38 AM - 17 May, 2009
thanx 4 the cosign cooquist. i was starting to think there was a conspiracy...
Serato, Support
ChrisD 11:41 PM - 17 May, 2009
Crazy - I absolutely cannot replicate this problem.

Do either of you have any 3rd party browser tool bars installed (eg. from Yahoo or Google) ?

These sometimes include pop-up blocking functionality in them which may need bypassing for the Preview Player to work.
Fakeem 5:45 PM - 19 May, 2009
Nope, but i've noticed something odd. The only time the preview player works is AFTER i log into WBLS to listen to their feed. Yesterday and today, the player wouldn't open until AFTER i was logged into the station, so somehow, the player is piggybacking on that stream.
Serato, Support
ChrisD 5:22 AM - 20 May, 2009
That's very strange indeed Fakeem.

There's two parts to the preview player: the pop-up window itself and the audio streams fed in to the player.

The pop-up window is simply a web page opened via javascript. It has some javascript to load in the track data and contains a Flash media player to play back the MP3 audio stream. Nothing fancy there.

The audio streams are served off our download servers. There's a bit of trickery to make sure that only logged in whitelabel.net members can play the streams but in the end it's really just a MP3 file served over HTTP.

So I can't think how being logged into an entirely different web site would influence the workings of the Preview Player given that every element of the player (HTML, Flash, javascript, MP3 etc) is served via the whitelabel.net domain.

But, um, at least you found a way to make it work :-)
cooquist 9:16 PM - 24 May, 2009
Hey I just found a hack way of getting it to work as well. If I sit there and click the preview button for a track multiple times it actually will play on like the third time or so. I completely redid my browsers and java from scratch and still had the same issues so in frustration I just kept clicking the preview button and it randomly finally worked! So something is obviously causeing a delay in the code somewhere. Also another trick is once I finally get a preview applet started, I can keep adding songs to it fom that point on.

So weird that it's not consistent. It used to be when I first joined, not sure what changed...
Serato, Support
ChrisD 10:45 PM - 24 May, 2009
Quote:
If I sit there and click the preview button for a track multiple times it actually will play on like the third time or so.

It could be that the javascript files are a bit slow to load. But glad you found a workaround of sorts.

Quote:
Also another trick is once I finally get a preview applet started, I can keep adding songs to it fom that point on.

Yep, that's by design - it's supposed to work that way. The idea is that you can browse through the Release list and keeping adding tracks to the preview player as you go.
Fakeem 9:14 PM - 8 June, 2009
Well, my wbls trick no longer works.
Does whitelabel reset on the first of each month? I've noticed that the player issues have happened the first week of each month.

I'll try the constant clicking trick. I hope it works.
Fakeem 9:16 PM - 8 June, 2009
The constant clicking trick worked...at least i'll have access until the bugs are worked out.
Fakeem 7:50 PM - 22 June, 2009
Well, the constant clicking to get the preview player to work doesn't work anymore. I had to resort to logging in to WBLS's online feed to get the preview player to work again. Has anyone figured out why this is happening?
ambiguoustwitch 10:02 PM - 31 August, 2009
same here. first time logging in today, and i can't get the preview player to work at all. i am however, getting an error:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0; MSN Optimized;US)
Timestamp: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 22:01:47 UTC

Line: 31
Char: 43
Code: 0
URI: www.whitelabel.net

does this help?
Serato, Support
ChrisD 10:36 PM - 1 September, 2009
ambiguoustwitch, that's strange. I tested the Preview Player in IE 8 (in both normal and IE 7 compatibility modes) and it works OK for me.

You'll have to allow pop-ups from the whitelabel.net domain the first time to open the Preview Player. But other than that it should work OK.

If you can't get it to work then, as an experiment, could you please try a different web browser.
ambiguoustwitch 5:32 PM - 2 September, 2009
ya, that's what i ended up doing. i installed firefox and it works fine. on IE, i had the pop-ups allowed and a new tab was opening for it, but it was coming up with that error for some reason. i still can't get it to work in IE, but whatevs. for what i'm getting out of the website, this is a very minor inconvenience for me.
Serato, Support
ChrisD 10:29 PM - 2 September, 2009
OK, cool ambiguoustwitch. Glad you're happy :-)
Riddim Mix Solja 2:27 AM - 13 September, 2009
i have a suggestion try deleting all ur cookies and temp files from browser and see if that works
ambiguoustwitch 6:05 PM - 16 September, 2009
nope, still doesn't work with IE for some reason. Firefox is good tho, so i'm going to stick with it.
Mr. Walker 11:37 PM - 14 November, 2009
Ugh... so this is a common enough problem, because it's happening to me too... on my new laptop. I have the same problem where the window is open for half a second. I have Whitelabel in my Trusted Sites, and I even tried it with the blocker off, but it's not working
Serato, Support
ChrisD 10:24 PM - 15 November, 2009
What operating system and browser (including version) are you using Mr Walker?
Mr. Walker 11:16 PM - 15 November, 2009
Windows Vista Service Pack 2 and IE8 (No Update Versions, it says). And it really is just the preview section. If I click on the preview arrow, the window opens and quickly closes, but if i click on the title of the song track, the other window opens just fine. But even in that window, where I can either preview or download the track, the preview arrow does nothing.
Serato, Support
ChrisD 2:01 AM - 16 November, 2009
IE8 will, by default, block all pop-ups.

If this is happening you'll see a yellow bar across the top of the web page saying that a pop-up has been blocked.

If you click this yellow bar you'll been given a few options. Select the "always allow pop-ups from this website" option.

The web page will then reload and the preview player should open OK.
Mr. Walker 10:35 PM - 19 November, 2009
but it's not the pop up blocker... i have whitelabel in my Trusted Sites. when i click on the player the window opens VERY briefly, then closes. If it were being blocked like a pop-up, I'd totally agree with that theory.
Serato, Support
ChrisD 10:39 PM - 19 November, 2009
Ahh, OK. Sorry, should've read your description more carefully :-)

It would be interesting, as an experiment, for you to try a different web browser on the same computer. If it's at all possible for you to download Firefox, Safari or Chrome and try that I'd be very grateful.

Basically, I'd like to see if I can determine whether it's an OS related issue or something about IE8 in particular.
Mr. Walker 10:44 PM - 19 November, 2009
a whole new browser??? Ugh... fine. I'll try Chrome, I guess... check back in a while.
DEE JAY ANDRE 2:29 AM - 21 November, 2009
is this live
DEE JAY ANDRE 2:30 AM - 21 November, 2009
guess it is
DEE JAY ANDRE 2:31 AM - 21 November, 2009
hey there is a site where i can download entire album or packages does anyone know yhe site
Mr. Walker 5:01 PM - 21 November, 2009
Here's an update so far. I downloaded google's chrome browser, and when i tried to open the preview window, the window said i needed to update the Flash Player. So i went to upgrade it for IE, but even after that, the same thing happened. I noticed though, that in the lower left-hand corner of IE, it said there was an error on the page.

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; MDDC; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; OfficeLiveConnector.1.4; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; InfoPath.2)
Timestamp: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 16:50:41 UTC

Line: 615
Char: 3
URI: whitelabel.net

But after upgrading the player for Chrome, the preview window there works just fine. I'd rather not have to remember to use two different browsers for what i'm doing, but until that error gets fixed, that's what I'm doing, huh?

Thanks for the suggestion, ChrisD.
Serato, Support
ChrisD 3:14 AM - 24 November, 2009
Mr Walker,

I tried IE8 on Vista 64 bit and, as I expected, had no problems at all.

The line that's generating the error (line 615) is a very standard piece of javascript which in and of itself should not cause problems.

There seems to be something specific to your particular installation of IE8 which is causing problems.

Out of curiosity, have you tried using the Preview Player with IE8 running in IE7 compatibility mode?
Mr. Walker 5:06 AM - 30 November, 2009
damn... forgot all about compatibility mode. Hold on...
Mr. Walker 5:12 AM - 30 November, 2009
Nope... no difference there.

New error message though.

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; Media Center PC 4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Timestamp: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 05:08:57 UTC

Line: 623
Char: 2

But the Chrome workaround seems like the answer for me. This post is coming from my Desktop computer. I will try the compatibility mode on my laptop later and post the results.
Mr. Walker 3:53 AM - 1 December, 2009
... and even in compatibility mode, not working. This post is from my laptop.
Serato, Support
ChrisD 10:04 PM - 1 December, 2009
Grrr. That's annoying.

I'm stuck for ideas right now. As I said, I've done plenty of Preview Player testing in all versions of IE (works fine in IE 6 too, despite the fact that we no longer officially support it) so I'm at a bit of a loss.

I'm glad that you at least have the fall back of using another browser but I'm sorry for inconvenience caused by this. Each time I do some tweaks to the Preview Player I'll make sure that I use IE 8 a lot during testing. Who knows, maybe the problem will *magically* disappear for you during future changes.
marcA 9:26 AM - 2 December, 2009
Quote:
but it's not the pop up blocker... i have whitelabel in my Trusted Sites. when i click on the player the window opens VERY briefly, then closes. If it were being blocked like a pop-up, I'd totally agree with that theory.

i have the exact same problem...
marcA 9:28 AM - 2 December, 2009
sorry, previous post wasn't complete; i have this since i needed to reset IE8 to factory defaults....
i did accept the whitelabel domain when popup blocker was asking me to, and i also moved whitelabel to trusted sites but no go...
marcA 9:43 AM - 2 December, 2009
hmmm above is a message that says to quickly click multiple times on the play button... well that trick seems to work...
Mr. Walker 7:42 AM - 9 December, 2009
yeesh... well, again, using Chrome isn't a major issue, but it is good to see that somebody is on the case... keep up the good work, ChrisD
Serato, Support
ChrisD 9:17 PM - 9 December, 2009
marcA, what OS are you running?
marcA 6:23 AM - 10 December, 2009
W7 x64...
b_boy@charter.net 5:47 PM - 15 January, 2010
Player is not working...

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729)
Timestamp: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 17:45:31 UTC

Line: 621
Char: 18
b_boy@charter.net 5:48 PM - 15 January, 2010
Help...
b_boy@charter.net 5:52 PM - 15 January, 2010
New error message after switching to compatibility mode...

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729)
Timestamp: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 17:51:10 UTC

b_boy@charter.net 6:08 PM - 15 January, 2010
Line: 621
Char: 18
Serato, Support
ChrisD 11:19 PM - 17 January, 2010
Hi b_boy.

That's a strange error. It looks as if a javascript file has failed to load correctly.

Have you used Whitelabel.net before and had the preview player work correctly? Or is this the first time you've used the preview player?
jon- e- blaze 6:01 AM - 25 January, 2010
hey guys, i had this same exact problem to a t. I tried all kinds of things for an hour. After about an hour of trying different things i go to preview a track and a pop up opens up and says i need to update my adobe flash player to atleast 9.0. I installed the latest version, and have been able to open up everything perfect. Try your adobe flash player update... hope this helps.
KCDJ 5:32 PM - 9 March, 2010
When I try to preview a song I get the same problem but thiss is the error message I get. Any help would be appreciated!!

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; CPNTDF; OfficeLiveConnector.1.4; OfficeLivePatch.1.3)
Timestamp: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 17:30:23 UTC

Line: 45
Char: 2
Serato, Support
ChrisD 1:59 AM - 11 March, 2010
Hi KCDJ.

Thanks for providing me with the specific error information you're receiving.

I've tried replicating this bug on an identical Windows version and, unfortunately, everything works OK for me. Frustrating.

One part of your user agent string makes a little bit suspicious though: the OfficeLiveConnector stuff. This might be responsible for the error, although I'd be surprised given that the error is occurring on a very simple piece of javascript that should be supported way back as far as IE4.

However, I'll try installing the Office Live Connector on a machine here and see if that makes any difference. I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, if you have the option of installing another web browser on your computer you'll probably find that that will work OK.

Sorry for the inconvenience.