Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

How to deal with a beat grid offset in middle of song

D-Jakey 7:14 PM - 1 August, 2015
Hi, I have a song which is 4/4. I manage to line up the beat grid but at certain points in the song, the new down beat starts after two beats, to clarify it counts:

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 1 -
A - + - + - + -B - + -C - + - + - + -D

I put a down beat marker on A and B. After that I tried to put a down beat marker on C which resulted in the down beat marker B being removed (probably to close to C). So now I have a down beat marker on A and on C and on D. However, this results in the bpm of the song to change between A and C....

I hope my problem is clear. How do you manage such a situation where the down beat is offset from the original down beat?

Thanks,
D-Jakey
DJ Frank Stallone 1:06 AM - 2 August, 2015
Great Question. I tried making a flip to solve the problem. Another way I have addressed this was to use an editing program to add the extra 2 beats and make an entirely new file. I would love to hear other ideas.
938MyDJ 10:07 AM - 2 August, 2015
I just mark a spare Cue-point and name it 2/4. In that way, I am aware the my downbeat is on count 3 instead of 1.
Pete Input 10:56 AM - 2 August, 2015
If that kind of brainless shit happens, i will make a new downbeat marker just before it happens. Then scrolling forward to the mixing out point and there i will put another downbeat marker and gridding the rest normally.
Also, i put a cuepoint markers to the downbeats so i know to take of sync for that section.
Visually like this... X = downbeat marker.

IIIIIIIIIIIII X IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII X IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:36 AM - 3 August, 2015
Tracks like that, I don't beat grid. Just CUE points at the beginning and the most likely mix out point.
D-Jakey 7:08 PM - 4 August, 2015
If I understand correctly Serato DJ doesn't have a nice solution for this. However it should be quite simple to add in the software: The beat grid stays the same (no tempo change) however, one should be able to mark a beat as being the downbeat. Currently, if you do nothing, the bar markers are still aligned with the beats however, the downbeat moves half a bar. Should I fill in a feature request for this?