DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Transitioning Between DJ Etiquette, Tips, vinyl you use during switch over...

AndrewRivas 7:20 PM - 26 July, 2015
Hey Guys,

What's the etiquette for switching over a single sound card?

I want to come in like a pro: be easy to work with, not step on any toes, not make myself look like an idiot.

My game plan for now is to bring a few records for the switch over to mix in. Few Best Of Records and other records that have differing BPM and a few different artists because I have no idea what I'm going to be walking into.

1. When it's almost your time to go on: should you remind the DJ in the mix or let them know you are there and wait till they say they are done?

2. Is it frowned upon to ask the dj before to land you in bpm range, if you want to open with a specific track that you have for the switch over?

3. Double checking: it's better switch with vinyl then bring in your own sL3 and transition into the other channels of the mixer by swapping out the RCA of the tables.

4. Anything else I should know? Besides don't unplug or remove any of the other DJ's gear: like needles, remove the USB from their comp...

Thanks for your help!
DJ Matty Stiles 5:46 AM - 27 July, 2015
1 your presence alone should indicate that it's time for you to go on. If they are rude, politely gesture "1 more track?" They will get the hint.

2 I would never do this. Besides, you should be capable to adapt and play any thing at any given time

3 there are several ways to do this...I like to bring "real music" to transition serato to serato. If it's a CDJ I'll have a USB with tracks and long mixes in case of emergency. The other alternative is play a mix off your phone with an Aux to RCA cord (make sure airplane mode is on)....if you really know what your doing then you can go straight serato to serato but I have found this to be very clumsy (especially in small booths) with cords and laptops flying me about everywhere (I like to have time and space to set up properly). Others may disagree but this is my preference

4. Just be polite, punctual and presentable. Smile, introduce yourself, shake hands and of course kill it in the mix
SeriousCyrus 6:00 AM - 27 July, 2015
1. know you're paid, know your agreed hours, you got appointments, if the guy running the show don't mind the other dj, remind them you're still getting paid for the hours booked. If you're good at something, you don't do it for free, if you play longer than what's said, get paid. If the other dj wants to play longer it's nothing on you.
SeriousCyrus 6:12 AM - 27 July, 2015
I've made double my fee before coz i'm keeping the place dancing and just asked for more money to keep playing for an hour.
Laz219 2:27 AM - 28 July, 2015
1- As long as they know you're there/ready- I'm sure that's enough.

2- I wouldn't, especially since the last song I choose for a set is usually something I'd have been holding out to play at the end, I assume a lot of others do the same.

3- It depends where I am, if it's with someone I know- we'll just transition over Serato-->Serato. I'll just hook up my output channels to the spare channels and start my first track with internal mode. This then gives them the time to pack up, and I can take the input leads (from the turntables) while everything is still playing on internal.
If it's an unfamiliar place, or I don't know the other person- I don't want to be messing around at the back of a mixer while they are trying to work, I'll just use regular vinyl.
DJ Mozo 2:48 PM - 28 July, 2015
stop the music. cut the sound. and announce you're the best in the world and just drop the next track.. edm logic..

Don't touch his equipment unless he's just left all his stuff on the tables and left. Like they said, have some sort of music whether its usb, phone aux, vinyl, whatever it might be, enough to be able to set up everything and troubleshoot if necessary . But be aware of the Serato card if you're using the same one. If you're capable of connecting your cables and everything needed without interrupting the other dj/getting too much in their way, then do so, but don't disconnect their cables, or bump the table, or anything to distract/disrupt the mix.

1. At least introduce yourself and say hey I'm on after you at 1230. Cool.
2. Don't request a bpm, but it's not rude or impolite to ask where they'll be at in respects so you can mix in no problem.
3. answered above.
DJ Matty Stiles 9:55 PM - 28 July, 2015
Internal on the spare channel. Good idea
R-Tistic 11:02 PM - 28 July, 2015
For switchouts, I usually bring an aux cord, and use Virtual DJ to play a song matching the BPM, just to set me up to get on, so that I can even do a quick mix between two songs if I need to. It just gives cushion in case something acts up, and nothing at all feels rushed. I still keep a vinyl with me too though.

I have never asked for a BPM, I just hop on wherever they are because I can find something to go with whatever it is, from 50 BPM to 148 BPM.

Usually, we exchange needles and vinyls during their last song, and maybe they run on internal at the time.
RonDu 3:07 PM - 29 July, 2015
Quote:
For switchouts, I usually bring an aux cord, and use Virtual DJ to play a song matching the BPM, just to set me up to get on, so that I can even do a quick mix between two songs if I need to. It just gives cushion in case something acts up, and nothing at all feels rushed. I still keep a vinyl with me too though.

^^^This
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:29 AM - 2 August, 2015
Yup. So many tools out there, hell you can run Traktor DJ off an IPad or iPhone via aux whilst changing over.

I was watching a boiler room episode yesterday and one skill often overlooked is MCing during the change over.
The booth had two CDJs and a Pioneer mixer, but the new DJ wanted to use the new Rane Rotary Mixer. They both played of USB sticks.
So during the changeover the MC jumped on the mic. The mixer swap took less than 5 secs.