Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Video Mix Recording help

Limin Li 5:04 AM - 22 June, 2015
So on Thursday night I did my very first serato video mix. It was awful to say at the least, because I was trying to bump the recording quality to 720p and it will only record up to 2 minutes. I had to bump it down to 480p. I did some research and it saying that my SSD read and write speed are too slow when I tried to record at 720p. I really would like to get a 720p video mix done. So my question is what do you do under this situation. Do I

A. Get a external capture card with a sd card slot

B. Get a thunderbolt 2 external hard drive

Thanks

specification:

MacBook Pro ME865LL/A
Pioneer DDJ-SX 2
DJ Baby Boy 6:10 AM - 22 June, 2015
Honestly in this situation you already have a mac ... You dump serato video and buy MixEmergency www.inklen.com there you'll be able to record pretty much as long as you want (I record 5 hour sets every Friday & Saturday) and export them later at a resolution and format of your choosing ... Also when recording with ME (and spinning in general) it won't be taxing the hell out of your system the way Serato Video does

With the mac you have honestly I wouldn't even be running video due to the lack of a dedicated graphics card but that should be even more reason to go over to ME because it will give you night and day difference with that machine
Code:E 8:42 PM - 22 June, 2015
Quote:
Honestly in this situation you already have a mac ... You dump serato video and buy MixEmergency www.inklen.com

Its more than just an "Honestly"

Limin Li Mix Emergency is your only choice.

Also I just noticed you have a 13 inch mac. Don't expect todo HD video with it. Especially with Serato Video. Now ME has made great advances to allow HD to work well in macs with the Intel Video Chip. So give it a shot. It will work better for sure and is a much better option that your other 2 ideas.
manny patel 1:32 AM - 23 June, 2015
I am having same problem with serato video not recording after 4 min yes guys are saying mix energy will do good but I have windows 8.1, Intel core i7 4700MQ 17 inch physical memory 8 gb

if serato video has problems recording they should be fixing it why we pay serato + video package when video is not working, if I am paying extra for video it should function properly

if I get mix energy and pay extra then what's the point of having serato video

technical help would be appreciate
djnak 3:33 AM - 23 June, 2015
Quote:
I am having same problem with serato video not recording after 4 min yes guys are saying mix energy will do good but I have windows 8.1, Intel core i7 4700MQ 17 inch physical memory 8 gb

if serato video has problems recording they should be fixing it why we pay serato + video package when video is not working, if I am paying extra for video it should function properly

You have received help...how are you going to record a video mix, when your files do NOT show up on the screen in the first place...

1 As I already told you the pool you signed up for is SHITTY period...
2. the youtube program you are using probably fucks the encoding up....
(on a sidenote ...you tube AUDIO is a horrible...You should NOT be playing b.s. audio in any live venue...)
3. the codec packs you have installed are probably fucking thing up also...

please before you blame Serato, take the advise that was given in the previous thread, find a legit pool

You want stability start with your files, codecs, get them straight...
manny patel 4:10 AM - 23 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

You have received help...how are you going to record a video mix, when your files do NOT show up on the screen in the first place...

1 As I already told you the pool you signed up for is SHITTY period...
2. the youtube program you are using probably fucks the encoding up....
(on a sidenote ...you tube AUDIO is a horrible...You should NOT be playing b.s. audio in any live venue...)
3. the codec packs you have installed are probably fucking thing up also...

please before you blame Serato, take the advise that was given in the previous thread, find a legit pool

You want stability start with your files, codecs, get them straight...

tks for the info

I am not playing any b.s live audio as I am not professional DJ yet.

non of my music videos are from youtube, all my files are from DJ POOL

I am not hear to blame any one or serato, we all share things which we come across

thanks againg for your info
Code:E 6:19 AM - 23 June, 2015
Quote:

1. thats a long dead horse. Give up now. Updates are not going to come
2. It does work. On compatible and properly setup hardware. You hardware is good. But not great and defiantly not amazing. Then you need to factor in what you are trying todo, record HD footage well playing to HD video`s all off the same Harddrive, And you want it to be really high quality. encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com

Quote:

* Mix Emergency. There is a point, call it the noob tax. But before you bash on Mix Emergency you should really just check it out. You will see any fee they charge is well worth the product and the quality you are paying for it. Serato Video does things ME doesn't do. You use the right tool for the job.
skinnyguy 7:29 AM - 23 June, 2015
None of your vids are from YouTube?

serato.com
DJ Baby Boy 7:38 AM - 23 June, 2015
Quote:
None of your vids are from YouTube?

serato.com

Hahaha

As stated in the other thread you mentioned using VJStreet which is basically about as well as using youtube rips the videos that I've gotten from there I had to re-encode to "fix" the file as best I could or completely throw out due to ghost frames or improper aspect ratio stretching/cropping ... either go with VJ-Pro/Smashvidz or Xtendamix those will give you the best quality and performance and are 110% trusted by the entire Video DJ community also if you're looking for one of remix videos check out Crooklyn Clan as they have amazing editors that know their shit too ... DJ Nak (above) is one of them and definitely not someone to write off when he gives you advice
djnak 4:47 PM - 23 June, 2015
Quote:

I am not hear to blame any one or serato, we all share things which we come across

I apologize if I came off a bit harsh, but in reality, you are blaming Serato for the issues that are more than likely user related problems (bad codec packs, improperly encoded videos video card drivers ect ect)
on a Pc...you have to put in a bit of work to get the correct settings.

Limin Li Im sorry your thread got derailed....

Serato and Mix Emergency record in 2 seperate ways....

Serato is more of a screen capture and records both audio and video live while you are doing it....

Mix Emergency records the audio live and logs the movements and actions of crossfaders/upfader/ effects/transitions/images/text ect ect ect.... and then "pieces together" the video afterwards when you render based on that log..... It use FAR less resources to record than a screen capture,until the render but that is done at a later time not during live pay straining your system

So If your computer is not quite up to specs, M.E. maybe the only way to go as it handles video much more efficiently than SV
the SOUNDINSURGENT 5:35 PM - 23 June, 2015
I'm gonna play devils advocate and say Seratos recording is their problem and it should be fixed.

This whole thing of having to record on a different drive is straight bullshit!!

Ok so half the problem is his content but the other half is Seratos problem and they should be held accountable for putting out such crap just as he is being held accountable for using shit vids from a bad source.

This giving Serato a pass shit has to stop.....

And yes I use ME which I learned a long time ago it's the way to go when using a Mac. So flame I you want but Serato needs to fix this because I can record on the same drive as my videos are on in HD and this is with a PC using another program.......
djnak 5:46 PM - 23 June, 2015
Quote:

Ok so half the problem is his content but the other half is Seratos problem and they should be held accountable for putting out such crap just as he is being held accountable for using shit vids from a bad source.

This giving Serato a pass shit has to stop.....

No one was doing this...when the first thread he started was about his videos not showing up , talked about sources, mentioned some ripper in another thread...

I mean do you really think recording is going to work, when you have all these underlying issues to begin with....
the SOUNDINSURGENT 6:16 PM - 23 June, 2015
I'll give you that ........
manny patel 6:24 PM - 23 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I apologize if I came off a bit harsh, but in reality, you are blaming Serato for the issues that are more than likely user related problems (bad codec packs, improperly encoded videos video card drivers ect ect)
on a Pc...you have to put in a bit of work to get the correct settings

its ok mate sometimes life is like that

I tried all different settings and options search youtube and google as well for the issue and the fix

still trying my level best to figure out and if I do so I will be helping others as well.
Code:E 8:54 PM - 23 June, 2015
Quote:
on a Pc...you have to put in a bit of work to get the correct settings.

So I was an ass also. But more of what he said.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:48 PM - 29 June, 2015
Not trying to derail the thread but is there a proper way to get videos from YouTube. I okay some niche stuff that the pools don't carry and I know that most of the stuff I want is on YouTube sometimes in 2k quality. I have the AAC/MP3 of most of this videos from iTunes and online music stores.
I have experimented with 4kvideodownloader and replace the audio in FCP. Plus I cut out skits and what nots.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:49 PM - 29 June, 2015
*okay = play

Niche stuff - African music (afrobeats, afrohouse, kwaito, soukouss etc)
manny patel 5:50 AM - 30 July, 2015
Quote:
Not trying to derail the thread but is there a proper way to get videos from YouTube. I okay some niche stuff that the pools don't carry and I know that most of the stuff I want is on YouTube sometimes in 2k quality. I have the AAC/MP3 of most of this videos from iTunes and online music stores.
I have experimented with 4kvideodownloader and replace the audio in FCP. Plus I cut out skits and what nots.

I am getting my videos from xtendamix, vjstreet for now until I can find better vdj pool,
xtendamix is free for 40 songs just get promo code from serato and register your self
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:05 PM - 30 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I am getting my videos from xtendamix, vjstreet for now until I can find better vdj pool,
xtendamix is free for 40 songs just get promo code from serato and register your self

They don't have African music videos. Xtendamix and Smashvision have a few in the pools. Not enough for a proper afrobeats set.

Thanks
manny patel 3:32 PM - 30 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
They don't have African music videos. Xtendamix and Smashvision have a few in the pools. Not enough for a proper afrobeats set.

Thanks

I know I am a vdj as well and trying for some good record pool as well since I play lots of African and east indian music hear in Canada
popnwave 4:15 PM - 30 July, 2015
Unfortunately for more regional music YouTube might be your best bet unless you can establish a relationship with the labels directly.

PLEASE for the love of all that is HOLY, redo the audio and re encode the videos you get from YouTube with proper keyframes is you MUST resort to this.

I will not lie, there are some gnarly looking, but rare as hell clips I did this for -only- because my hunt via pools, collections, auctions and the artists themselves have not nabbed me a better copy yet. I have never used a direct dump from YouTube though because that is always a recipe for embarrassment and disaster in most VJ programs.
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:21 PM - 30 July, 2015
Lol

That's why I asked the question in the first place. Everyone kept telling me to join a pool. I have active subscriptions to the most popular video pools, but I have needs that are not met by both combined.

I buy the African tracks from iTunes and Amazon, plus CD rips by my contacts back home. I just wanted heads up on how to re-encode/remux properly.

Anyways I'm learning by trial and error
DJ Tecniq 10:06 AM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:
Lol

That's why I asked the question in the first place. Everyone kept telling me to join a pool. I have active subscriptions to the most popular video pools, but I have needs that are not met by both combined.

I buy the African tracks from iTunes and Amazon, plus CD rips by my contacts back home. I just wanted heads up on how to re-encode/remux properly.

Anyways I'm learning by trial and error
just an FYI use www.offliberty.com if you want to rip from YouTube for vids pools don't carry. It will rip from the source just paste the link👍🏻