DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Best microphone on a Rane mixer?

djcaba 3:15 AM - 17 June, 2015
So the word is that the sm58 is the "industry standard"... I'm thinking about a sm58s (the only difference is the on/off switch)...

Which one should I get? (By the way, I'm on a Rane 61 for this instance if that even matters)

If there are any other recommendations, I would really like to hear your opinions!
WhattaMac 5:52 AM - 22 June, 2015
Shure SM58 is a "standard" vocal mic. However, there are MUCH better mics if you want to spend more money...

Shure BETA 58 is a significant improvement and usually sells for around $150
Electro Voice ND767 is about same price as sm58 but has a cleaner sound with much better feedback rejection.
Electro Voice ND967 (flat top) - $170. Great Mic, excellent feedback rejection with flat/low cut filter switch.
Sennheiser 935 - great mic, nice clear highs, $180
Shure Beta 87 - best Shure vocal mic but $187.... I would probably go EV ND967 over this tho.

All of this will help but keep in mind that even Rane Myers don't have very good mic pre-Amps compared to a good live mixer nor do you have the EQ on DJ mixers either.. Good enough for making announcements and maybe the occasional Rapper/MC but I wouldn't try to put a high quality vocalist thru one...
dj Krazey leo 1:55 PM - 29 June, 2015
i have both ev mic that WhattaMac is describing an they both are excellent on rane mixers i,m currently using the 57 mk2 an they're crystal clear with no feedback.