DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Next step into laptopless DJ'ing

Will08272 6:25 PM - 18 May, 2015
djworx.com

I've been somewhat vocal in several threads as have many others and it is actually happening. Interesting times in the future of DJ'ing. Embedded serato see you sometime in the future.
 6 7:30 PM - 18 May, 2015
So they're trying to eliminate the laptop but they can't eliminate the necessity of a screen so you would need that.... Might as well stay with the laptop.

Or, eventually a touch screen device will be capable of running the DJ software.

I don't know about this.

nm
Mr. Goodkat 9:23 PM - 18 May, 2015
im with sixx, seems redundant. as we've seen with computers, they arent that big and they have infinitely more tactile options for searching and a screen that has a stand(the base so it can sit on flat surfaces) or has options to put on a stand.

why would you want a mixer with all your files in it anyway? you have to bring a mixer everywhere you go instead of a laptop? isnt that the concept? or just that there will be mixer that you plug in with hard drives like cdjs that also have screens built in? or you bring your own screen? much confuse.
Will08272 11:20 PM - 18 May, 2015
Watchwww.youtube.com
This is the video that was linked in the article

To me currently it is just small proofs of concept, but with some of the philosophies of having turntablist have the benefits of DVS with out the laptop just one less thing to worry about. Take the Z2 which is what was used in the video, it has two usb ports so in theory the users bring their external HDD/Flash drive and that's it. From the software stand point less latency and better hardware integration. Then the part of adding sensors to the turntable as was explained on the video, it will a bunch of midi funtionality to the turntable, with them adding sensors of all kinds to just about everywhere. It ultimately is making the move back to dedicated hardware as is what is happening all over computing. There exist a sensor for just about anything and with computers shrinking and getting faster and cheaper at lightning speed it's just the natural progression happening in tech.
Mr. Goodkat 12:03 AM - 19 May, 2015
but you still need a display, you need a way to search. tablets or small computers seem like a better option.

as far as hardware goes, i always say the same thing about computer daws or hardware synths and samplers. hardware is a computer, it may be dedicated for that only purpose, but its still a computer. its cool to have small tech, but id rather have a keyboard(not touch screen, since i drink and sweat during djing which makes touch screens tricky) and large enough to see 2-3 ft away.

if i end up with a mixer with a 5'' screen that can display, say 15 songs at a time(so i can still see the font), it would drive me crazy. 13 inch screens are even too small for many people.

sometimes smaller is better, but sometimes its actually a hinderance especially in a poorly lit nightclub environment.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:23 AM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
djworx.com

I've been somewhat vocal in several threads as have many others and it is actually happening. Interesting times in the future of DJ'ing. Embedded serato see you sometime in the future.

I've BEEEEN said they need to do that...

The laptop game would fall apart...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:26 AM - 19 May, 2015
Man, all they have to do is realistically, put some usb ports on said mixer, have a SMALL Monitor and Keyboard.....

Done.
Will08272 1:15 AM - 19 May, 2015
imgur.com
This is a horrible mockup i just did but someone is going to make this or a 4 ch version of something similar. Right now it doesn't seem ideal for laptop users as one's workflow has adopted around the laptop. But being having your focus on the mixer and equipment at all times verses looking off to the side or looking up if you have the screen in the middle will be a big plus for many. It will take some work to as far as how you organize your library and workflow.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:24 AM - 19 May, 2015
I dunno, I've seen a lot of cats JUST work the mixer.....once they make the track selection....

And again, a portable mini flat screen tablet like monitor and wireless keyboard?

The thought of NO MORE DRIVERS....no more periferal induced latency?

Man listen...
 6 1:29 AM - 19 May, 2015
Even Miss Daisy had a driver....

nm
 6 1:31 AM - 19 May, 2015
Btw, if you're doing a set, realistically, right now you can get away without touching the computer. A good rane mixer with scroll/load options is all you need. However, for the average DJ, you need to be able to search. A keyboard is a necessity whether it's in the form of a touch screen or whatever. So really, this doesn't do anything if you still need a screen. Might as well just keep the laptop or a touch screen computer capable of running the DJ software and you know we're not far from that.

Look at Mix Emergency. That is already running on a MacBook Air.

nm
MPC O.G. 2:24 AM - 19 May, 2015
Can't you do this with a Mac Mini and a good 7 inch touchscreen? Just asking...
Will08272 2:52 AM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
Can't you do this with a Mac Mini and a good 7 inch touchscreen? Just asking...

In theory yeah, or even an ipad using one of the external display apps with usb, there are many other ways of accomplishing the same thing, the appeal is the dedicated hardware aspect i guess.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:39 PM - 19 May, 2015
The first company to eliminate the laptop aspect will WIN.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:11 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:

Denon already did years ago with the HS 5500's.......

Can have up to 5 tb drives and a keyboard all hooked up via a powered usb hub. They can be linked via a network cable. The screen isn't the best but it does work an I've done this many, many times! Oh and the platters are spinning and you can even place your favorite 45 on for the "true" vinyl feel......

I still have yet to see any company make a better player that can do everything the 5500's do.

I use mine EVERY weekend and as long as I can buy parts for them or something that can match them comes along, I'll never quit using them...... 👌
Will08272 3:13 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:

Getting a new pioneer set there is no need for a laptop and given the updates to rekordbox and the screen thats on the XDJ 1000 its clear the direction they are headed, i think it is safe to assume the next flagship pio deck will further improve on the XDJ 1000. The only crowd left out in my opinion are turntablist. And as was shown in the video the solution will be to integrate the computer into the mixer. If pioneer or someone expanded a bit on what the XDJ-R1's mixer portion is doing then they will take over. All it needs would be two usb hubs for files and a usb port or two to send midi out to effects units and they will be good.
Will08272 3:15 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Denon already did years ago with the HS 5500's.......

Can have up to 5 tb drives and a keyboard all hooked up via a powered usb hub. They can be linked via a network cable. The screen isn't the best but it does work an I've done this many, many times! Oh and the platters are spinning and you can even place your favorite 45 on for the "true" vinyl feel......

I still have yet to see any company make a better player that can do everything the 5500's do.

I use mine EVERY weekend and as long as I can buy parts for them or something that can match them comes along, I'll never quit using them...... 👌

I had a 5500 it was my first piece of DJ equipment, and it is a shame it was so ahead of it's time. It it had released now with a better screen and a platter the size of the 3900 which i love, man i think they would have a shot.
Will08272 3:21 PM - 19 May, 2015
Don't like that there isnt an edit button as i always get some new ideas when i post but anyway. The whole sensor on the turntable thing intergrated with this cpu embedded mixer idea is the key. Sensors on the tonearm and platter to send all that information back to the software as data and interesting things will happen. As was said in the video, one could play there regular vinyl or control there dvs software with there regular vinyl and have the best of both worlds all without a computer. Not having to switch between CV's and your regular vinyl is another thing that this solution can be touted as a feature. Im sure it is possible now but would require possibly more work then a mixer having all that functionality built in. That is just one example of removing a link on the chain (laptop) would be good. The world of all these options can drive some mad but man is it all cool.
Gio Alex 4:14 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
So they're trying to eliminate the laptop but they can't eliminate the necessity of a screen so you would need that.... Might as well stay with the laptop.

Or, eventually a touch screen device will be capable of running the DJ software.

I don't know about this.

nm

I sorta disagree, I wouldn't mind a simple/basic CDJ style display on a mixer.
Gio Alex 4:15 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:

This has been done already on several devices, just not for DVS/vinyl. Stanton, Pion and Numark (i think) have done this.
 6 4:23 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

This has been done already on several devices, just not for DVS/vinyl. Stanton, Pion and Numark (i think) have done this.

Yup.

Nm
AKIEM 5:27 PM - 19 May, 2015
lh3.googleusercontent.com

Mac Mini inside the TTM56 with a touchscreen was all planed out.

I even had all the parts.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:31 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:

And truth be told, that's what it's gonna eventually turn into....
AKIEM 5:34 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

And truth be told, that's what it's gonna eventually turn into....

seriously, thought it would have happened by now

Touch screen right there is sweet....

hmmmmmmmm................ I might have to go back in the lab
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:35 PM - 19 May, 2015
Even if cats have fat fingas, a wireless keyboard and mouse?

Game over.
Mr. Goodkat 5:36 PM - 19 May, 2015
i just dont see it being as simple as a laptop. touch screens and drinks or wet/sweaty fingers. adding a mouse and wireless keyboard.

why cant people just be happy ;)
AKIEM 6:02 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
i just dont see it being as simple as a laptop. touch screens and drinks or wet/sweaty fingers. adding a mouse and wireless keyboard.

why cant people just be happy ;)

nah, I had it all worked out, and that touchscreen worked way better than I imagined it would. And this was before the ipad mind you.

- Problems with the resolution were fixed.
- Mini keyboards, had to wait for those, that was good.

The three things which stopped the progress was the size of plugs, cables and how much cutting into the mixer, and worries about heat.

But - it is absolutely possible - And this was 10 years ago.
Mr. Goodkat 6:28 PM - 19 May, 2015
im not saying its not possible but i dont see the pros out weight the cons of having a laptop or a mixer with a laptop and screen built in.

sure if you are going in mobile but club set ups? i dont see the benefit
AKIEM 6:36 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
im not saying its not possible but i dont see the pros out weight the cons of having a laptop or a mixer with a laptop and screen built in.

very simple - the future of the club setup is a 'usb port' - which is what you would arrive with in the laptopless era - or this
Will08272 6:43 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

very simple - the future of the club setup is a 'usb port' - which is what you would arrive with in the laptopless era - or this

That's it pretty much, just removing a link on the chain. Bring a flash drive with your music and do your job.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:48 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
That's it pretty much, just removing a link on the chain. Bring a flash drive with your music and do your job.

Boom.
Gio Alex 7:05 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:

I'd love this. Mixer with a USB port and a small screen for song and playlist selection with vinyl/dvs capabilities.
Will08272 7:55 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:

You sir may have to get back into the lab, you have something here.
WarpNote 8:13 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Boom.

Hate to break it to you, but Pioneer actually "won" this a long time ago with their CDJ line. At least the last few battles if not the entire war...

Personally I prefer Serato DJ and not usb/rekordbox, but the majority of club dj's do spin from usb these days.

If I had to bring a hard drive, external qwerty keyboard, and possibly a usb hub, I think I'd rather just bring my laptop anyway. Most of my venues have a djm900 anyway, so just plug the computer directly to the mixer and run the club kit...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:18 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
Hate to break it to you, but Pioneer actually "won" this a long time ago

That's great for DJ's who prefer CDJ's...

But for the rest of us.....
Gio Alex 8:24 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Boom.

Hate to break it to you, but Pioneer actually "won" this a long time ago with their CDJ line. At least the last few battles if not the entire war...

Personally I prefer Serato DJ and not usb/rekordbox, but the majority of club dj's do spin from usb these days.

If I had to bring a hard drive, external qwerty keyboard, and possibly a usb hub, I think I'd rather just bring my laptop anyway. Most of my venues have a djm900 anyway, so just plug the computer directly to the mixer and run the club kit...

Actually didn't Denon really pave the way when they came out with the CD player that allowed you to add a hard drive?

I mean even if you want to give Pio the credit the difference with this really is that you can continue using Turntables. As amazing as the link system is and I have respect for it, I'm a Turntable person and not really into CDJs.
WarpNote 8:25 PM - 19 May, 2015
Yep, I hear you. I prefer turntables myself too.
But we're sadly getting fewer...

Also, I can still just bring my computer, a couple of control vinyl records, mats, needles, leave the box at home, now with the club kit. I dislike touch screens for performance control. (I've run both touch osc and lemur for quite a time)
AKIEM 8:37 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
Yep, I hear you. I prefer turntables myself too.
But we're sadly getting fewer...

Also, I can still just bring my computer, a couple of control vinyl records, mats, needles, leave the box at home, now with the club kit. I dislike touch screens for performance control. (I've run both touch osc and lemur for quite a time)

yup, I wont ever use a touchscreen for anything but maybe x/y effects.

Back when I mounted that touch screen - what it was for is loading songs from the library.

But what it did exceptionally is not be a laptop in the face but still center of focus.
WarpNote 8:37 PM - 19 May, 2015
Gio, you are absolutely right, pioneer normally dont invent, they jump on once they believe the market is ready. And then maybe refine their products down the line.

Not giving them credit, just stating the fact that they seem to dominate the pro market these days.

I'm not really sure who was first in that regard, both technics and numark did "turntables" with external storage.

And yeah, as said, I love my technics turntables, I just see the laptop as a very practical unit in the booth myself. Storage, keyboard, screen, processing power built into one unit, great concept imo. Leave the mixer clean, don't overcrowd it with screen(s). I also like the idea of modular setups, and this seems to be going in the opposite direction?

I dont wanna come off as overly negative, I think its great that someone is rethinking the workflow, and making the effort, it can only be a good thing for us DJs in the end :D
Gio Alex 8:40 PM - 19 May, 2015
I agree as well, I'm happy that we're moving in that direction and I really dig the idea. This opens the door to some really interesting mods.
AKIEM 8:48 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:

And yeah, as said, I love my technics turntables, I just see the laptop as a very practical unit in the booth myself. Storage, keyboard, screen, processing power built into one unit, great concept imo. Leave the mixer clean, don't overcrowd it with screen(s). I also like the idea of modular setups, and this seems to be going in the opposite direction?

I agree with this as well....

But maybe soon the size of devices will make it so modular wont be a thing because you are able to run the program from various systems in a setup. Meaning you could run it from your mixer, or from your phone, or from your screen, or ipad, or glasses... but thats still pretty far off but...
WarpNote 8:55 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
But what it did exceptionally is not be a laptop in the face but still center of focus.

Yep, this part I do really like myself too. Actually been looking into the Air display app to possibly add an Ipad in that position. If only the serato remote app had a library view....
AKIEM 8:58 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Yep, this part I do really like myself too. Actually been looking into the Air display app to possibly add an Ipad in that position. If only the serato remote app had a library view....

yup, thought they would have had the library working by now.

I cant ever see pressing a button by taping a screen - while working
WarpNote 8:59 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
I agree as well, I'm happy that we're moving in that direction and I really dig the idea. This opens the door to some really interesting mods.

That is true, and I also like having options, although I prefer my main setup with turntables and a club mixer, I also do have a set of cdjs (albeit the older cdj1000mk3 model), also the ddj-sx for smaller mobile events, and the amx/afx combo for general messing about.
WarpNote 9:03 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
Yeah, It can be somewhat risky, I have run the remote on both an ipad mini and the iphone. Its ok for "casual" use, but not "intense" work imo. Also made setups for both ssl and resolume (a vj program) in touch osc & lemur, but still ended up buying dedicated midi controllers for the purpose.
WarpNote 9:07 PM - 19 May, 2015
Also on the note of touch screens, I did consider upgrading my old cdj's and looked into the new xdj player, but the lack of buttons put me off. Have a hard time justifying the cost of cdj2000nxs, might pick up a used pair of the non nexus 2000 at some point, if the price was right, but still on the fence.
AKIEM 9:08 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, It can be somewhat risky, I have run the remote on both an ipad mini and the iphone. Its ok for "casual" use, but not "intense" work imo. Also made setups for both ssl and resolume (a vj program) in touch osc & lemur, but still ended up buying dedicated midi controllers for the purpose.

yup, I thought touch os and various ipad type stuff was going to be excellent for customizability but having to always look...
Gio Alex 9:13 PM - 19 May, 2015
Why is everyone talking touch screens. I'd take a simple CDJ screen, with a knob, no different from scrolling with a serato mixer or CDJ without the touch capabilities. Buttons. I may give this project a shot if I can find a an electrical/computer engineer.
WarpNote 9:16 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
Why is everyone talking touch screens.
Probably because of Qwerty keyboard search without a keyboard, also to "cut corners" on hardware built without dedicated knobs/buttons. And the fact that Thud Rumble were indeed using a touch screen...?
AKIEM 9:20 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
Why is everyone talking touch screens. I'd take a simple CDJ screen, with a knob, no different from scrolling with a serato mixer or CDJ without the touch capabilities. Buttons. I may give this project a shot if I can find a an electrical/computer engineer.

So when I mounted that screen it wasnt because it was a touchscreen, it just happened to be. But I did find it useful. Loading songs and scrolling the library. It can be good for 'non-performance' type stuff.
Gio Alex 9:26 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Why is everyone talking touch screens.
Probably because of Qwerty keyboard search without a keyboard, also to "cut corners" on hardware built without dedicated knobs/buttons. And the fact that Thud Rumble were indeed using a touch screen...?

Ahhhhhh i see. Didn't think about the searching part. I though all preparation playlists/crates and load track.
Phuture2 9:31 PM - 19 May, 2015
Rekordbox is the answer
 6 9:33 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Hate to break it to you, but Pioneer actually "won" this a long time ago

That's great for DJ's who prefer CDJ's...

But for the rest of us.....

Exactly the reason why I think the laptop isn't going anywhere.

Video DJ's will need a laptop or at least a bigger screen.

nm
WarpNote 9:58 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
Rekordbox is the answer
Already discussed above, until pioneer release a mixer that actually will read from external storage, let you load tracks and play them using a regular turntable, OR make a rekordbox enabled vinyl turntable, there is no rekordbox answer for vinyl dj's..
Phuture2 10:04 PM - 19 May, 2015
You can read from an external hard drive with no issues. There is the RX controller right now. Works great
Gio Alex 10:14 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
You can read from an external hard drive with no issues. There is the RX controller right now. Works great

Not for DVS though. That's what we're talking about here.
WarpNote 10:25 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Not for DVS though. That's what we're talking about here.

Exactly, I'm not knocking pioneer hardware, I got both cdjs, a djm and a pio sdj controller myself. But there is no rekordbox solution for vinyl dj's so far.
Mr. Goodkat 10:55 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
Ahhhhhh i see. Didn't think about the searching part.

this is what i keep gettin at.

the other problem is that every club would have to have the same mixer or at least the protocol for the software.

the key is getting a 13 inch computer down to say an 8-10'' that could slide under a mixer or like a tablet that has a wirless keyboard. but you still have to mount that keyboard somewhere to search.
Gio Alex 3:28 PM - 20 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Ahhhhhh i see. Didn't think about the searching part.

this is what i keep gettin at.

the other problem is that every club would have to have the same mixer or at least the protocol for the software.

the key is getting a 13 inch computer down to say an 8-10'' that could slide under a mixer or like a tablet that has a wirless keyboard. but you still have to mount that keyboard somewhere to search.

How about if you iphone or droid serve as a bluetooth keyboard for searching? Like an app. Similar to Serato Remote. I still prefer a small screen like an mpc. keep it basic and simple. Otherwise you might as well keep the laptop.

But overall, I don't disagree with your idea. would be nice.
DJ Remy USA 6:00 PM - 20 May, 2015
whats the point of this, seems cool but I still have to connect a screen.....and I still need my digital files I'd rather have my laptop
DJ Remy USA 6:07 PM - 20 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
djworx.com

I've BEEEEN said they need to do that...

The laptop game would fall apart...

I doubt it, this seem great for guys playing sets they already have pre planned seems like a bad idea for someone who needs to search and freestyle their sets. I am not searching on a screen that small.

I see guys rocking the CDJ with USB sticks but those guys are almost always playing pre planned sets so it just appears that they are dope when in reality its just rehearsed set which I have no problem with either.

I dont see this solution being for all DJs but maybe for some
DJ Remy USA 6:08 PM - 20 May, 2015
Quote:
imgur.com
This is a horrible mockup i just did but someone is going to make this or a 4 ch version of something similar. Right now it doesn't seem ideal for laptop users as one's workflow has adopted around the laptop. But being having your focus on the mixer and equipment at all times verses looking off to the side or looking up if you have the screen in the middle will be a big plus for many. It will take some work to as far as how you organize your library and workflow.

I could see this working
DJ Remy USA 6:13 PM - 20 May, 2015
Quote:

This I really like I could get with this, I just dont like the idea of moving my music twice. Download music to the laptop then organize it then move it to another system. Its a little cumbersome and Im sure I would leave songs at home kinda like back when I used CDs
WarpNote 6:14 PM - 20 May, 2015
Quote:
I see guys rocking the CDJ with USB sticks but those guys are almost always playing pre planned sets so it just appears that they are dope when in reality its just rehearsed set which I have no problem with either.

While I mostly agree on this, I've seen club jocks that can find their stuff pretty fast on a cdj. Arguably they mostly stick to a limited set of genres, but not preplanned sets still.

But all in all, I absolutely agree. Would not dream of doing an open format set or a private event without my main lib running in serato on a mac....
DJ Remy USA 6:18 PM - 20 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

While I mostly agree on this, I've seen club jocks that can find their stuff pretty fast on a cdj. Arguably they mostly stick to a limited set of genres, but not preplanned sets still.

But all in all, I absolutely agree. Would not dream of doing an open format set or a private event without my main lib running in serato on a mac....

You right I work with a female DJ that uses USB sticks but she only plays deep house. She can find her stuff fast because she knows exactly what she is playing next. Its a great look when you are playing just one or 2 genres but trying to find what I need on those CDJ screens I tried I did a set with them on USB and I struggled to find music quickly I even played a few songs twice cause I couldnt find what I wanted next. Didnt like it just my opinion
DJ Remy USA 6:21 PM - 20 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Boom.

the more we remove from our setups I think it lessens our value, anyone can show up with a USB stick and press play just like anyone can show up with a laptop it will making entry level that much more "entry" the bar is around $250 a night on average across the globe for a DJ, something like this would surely slash that number, not everyone can command Qbert money
Taipanic 6:40 PM - 20 May, 2015
While I have never used it as I have the 5500's the Denon Engine software looked to work pretty good with the 3900s. You could connect an IPad for track selection & searching.
Mr. Goodkat 6:47 PM - 20 May, 2015
i dont think anyone thinks its the worst idea ever, but when you start saying ditch the laptop, but bring a ipad or extra keyboard, are you really saving that much space? arent you sacrificing ease of use(the size of screen plus keyboard/mouse built in) or durability (macbook pro vs ipad or small screen).

i can bring 2 midi controllers(ni x1 and sp1) a laptop, cvs, plus cords and chargers pretty easily in one bag. anything smaller and it probably gets accidentally broken or even more easily stolen. if i see someone walk off with a bag my size i would notice, if its any smaller, lets say it was reduced to a usb drive and a screen and a cord that would fit into a very small enclosure, thats just waiting to get thieved. not that laptops cant and havent been stolen, its just the smaller the product, the easier theft is.
AKIEM 6:54 PM - 20 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

This I really like I could get with this, I just dont like the idea of moving my music twice. Download music to the laptop then organize it then move it to another system. Its a little cumbersome and Im sure I would leave songs at home kinda like back when I used CDs

Maybe.

Ive always hated external hardrives. But my plan in the future is to park all my computers and carry everything I need on SSD. Hopefully the entire OS apps and everything as a "live back-up". Im still bringing the laptop to the club etc, but personally, I can do everything but spin on my phone + ipad. But I hope to be around when showing up with a flash drive is possible (for me too)

This is just the Laptop Era
DJ Irv 9:41 PM - 20 May, 2015
The first version of scratchlive ran on my 450MHz G4 Powerbook. Granted it didn't run amazing but ran good enough and was reliable.

There is no reason why they can't port ScratchLive Traktor DVS to a smartphone. The smartphone could be the touchscreen and computer. If you were using a mixer like the Z2 it would give you 2 free USB ports to plug in drives.

Putting touchscreen in mixer everyone uses at club would mean dealing with a mixer that has no a broken touch screen. I'm just sayin'.
Gio Alex 9:54 PM - 20 May, 2015
Quote:
The first version of scratchlive ran on my 450MHz G4 Powerbook. Granted it didn't run amazing but ran good enough and was reliable.

There is no reason why they can't port ScratchLive Traktor DVS to a smartphone. The smartphone could be the touchscreen and computer. If you were using a mixer like the Z2 it would give you 2 free USB ports to plug in drives.

Putting touchscreen in mixer everyone uses at club would mean dealing with a mixer that has no a broken touch screen. I'm just sayin'.

Well even if it weren't for the clubs, would be nice to have this as a home setup or a mobile rig.
DJ Irv 9:57 PM - 20 May, 2015
Still cain't believe with INTEL behind them they had such a crappy demo model.
AKIEM 10:09 PM - 20 May, 2015
Eh... a touchscreen for club use could work... they have em for all kinds of automatic tellers, self checkouts, atms, , resturaunts, etc
Mr. Goodkat 10:14 PM - 20 May, 2015
yeah, but the difference is the environment. a. its dark and the screen is small. if you mess up at the auto teller or atm you can cancel the transaction, if you push the wrong cue or the screen gets wet via drink spill what happens. b.) since you are actually moving(or doing drugs), some people sweat thru hands or grab a drink and get their hands wet. this seems like a potential area for trouble.

if always used the keyboard cover for serato, which adds a level of protection for spills and a bit of grip for typing so much i rarely take it off, even at home.

my laptop is on a stand as well, so its harder to spill drinks than it is on a small screen closer to the setup.
AKIEM 10:17 PM - 20 May, 2015
Quote:
yeah, but the difference is the environment. a. its dark and the screen is small. if you mess up at the auto teller or atm you can cancel the transaction, if you push the wrong cue or the screen gets wet via drink spill what happens. b.) since you are actually moving(or doing drugs), some people sweat thru hands or grab a drink and get their hands wet. this seems like a potential area for trouble.

if always used the keyboard cover for serato, which adds a level of protection for spills and a bit of grip for typing so much i rarely take it off, even at home.

my laptop is on a stand as well, so its harder to spill drinks than it is on a small screen closer to the setup.

same time, atms are outside in the winter, and have dickheads spiting on them and whatever... If a mixer can survive a both, a touchscreen should be able to - designed correct of course.
Gio Alex 10:21 PM - 20 May, 2015
Quote:
Eh... a touchscreen for club use could work... they have em for all kinds of automatic tellers, self checkouts, atms, , resturaunts, etc

Good point. However, you're talking about clumsy ass djs that love to spill drinks on shit.
Mr. Goodkat 10:22 PM - 20 May, 2015
true. i guess that new pioneer controller is the first step in seeing how it works.
Gio Alex 10:22 PM - 20 May, 2015
Quote:
Still cain't believe with INTEL behind them they had such a crappy demo model.

Yeah, it could be that they rushed to do this. Also, even though it's intel I think it's a separate department. Maybe they have a very small budget to start with for the project and then dump more funds if it seems like a lucrative idea?
Gio Alex 10:23 PM - 20 May, 2015
Quote:

same time, atms are outside in the winter, and have dickheads spiting on them and whatever... If a mixer can survive a both, a touchscreen should be able to - designed correct of course.

Yeah, you're right.
AKIEM 10:27 PM - 20 May, 2015
drinks spill on mixers and laptops too :)

you know how much I hate some dumbass buying me a drink and handing it to me across my laptop :/ for real?
Gio Alex 10:28 PM - 20 May, 2015
Quote:

you know how much I hate some dumbass buying me a drink and handing it to me across my laptop :/ for real?

That shit is the worst. I always make them pass it around. I cringe when anyone reaches over the gear.
Mr. Goodkat 10:31 PM - 20 May, 2015
Quote:

its that moment when you grab the drink with two hands like its a live grenade.

but srsly have had 3 occasions where the drink goes on the keyboard and i immediately rip it off and pour the drink off. only once did it burn the touch pad/mouse area out. which, btw, is about 200$ cheaper if you do it yourself, but not sure if apple has changed that too.
Mr. Goodkat 10:32 PM - 20 May, 2015
rip off the keyboard cover.
 6 10:33 PM - 20 May, 2015
Quote:
rip off the keyboard cover.

I was just about to say... damn! lol

nm
ral 1:21 AM - 21 May, 2015
ttm56 + coca cola

Watchwww.youtube.com
 6 2:12 AM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:
ttm56 + coca cola

Watchwww.youtube.com

Welcome to 2008. Don't tell me this is the first time you've seen this?

I liked that video they had a truck running over an SL1

nm
ral 1:35 PM - 21 May, 2015
i've seen that long time ago

its just, since we're talking about spilling drinks and all, this new mixer with built in cpu should withstand coca cola (aka liquor)!
DJ Remy USA 2:10 PM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:

this right here I can see the screens getting broke and messed up. You should see how the DJM 800s in my city look at this point they all look horrible and have something wrong with them some barely work.
DJ Remy USA 2:12 PM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Comparing a DJ mixer to ATM machine that is built to be outside is very bad comparison and its reaching.
s3kn0tr0n1c 2:51 PM - 21 May, 2015
This defo more aimed at the turntablist who wants latency right down. Any steps towards getting a truer vinyl feel has my thumbs up.
AKIEM 3:27 PM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Comparing a DJ mixer to ATM machine that is built to be outside is very bad comparison and its reaching.

wasn't really a comparison tho. point is that a touchscreen is not really the fragile prone to fail technology people think it is.

Its not more fragile than a laptop, it can be built to whatever specs needed... tons of examples of cash registers and self checkouts as examples of multiple dumb asses touching equipment daily. It can be done and will even improve in the future.

I just don't see that as an issue.

...if it were up to me I wouldn't actually incorporate a touchscreen anyway. Well unless we get some tactile feedback Watchwww.youtube.com

And I hope know one thinks they can poor a coke on a mixer... lol
Gio Alex 3:36 PM - 21 May, 2015
Pretty soon everything is gonna be touch screen anyway. so.....
DJ Remy USA 6:14 PM - 21 May, 2015
I just dont dig the idea of touch screens its not very accurate to me, Im still on the laptop or just use vinyl/CDs if you really want to "keep it real" or in this case appear.
 6 6:15 PM - 21 May, 2015
The problem with touch screens will be the typing part. I have a feeling that when we get to that stage, an actual keyboard will be a necessity.... so, external keyboard plus touchscreen - might as well keep the laptop!

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:18 PM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:
external keyboard plus touchscreen - might as well keep the laptop!

nm

Makes no sense to keep the laptop IF they can incorporate an OS in to the mixer.

You just need a big monitor LIKE the laptop and fullsized keyboard, (or smaller).

Taking the work out of all the preconfiguration of an OS would be monumental.

The only convenience of a laptop is downloading music on the spot.
DJ Remy USA 6:24 PM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
external keyboard plus touchscreen - might as well keep the laptop!

nm

Makes no sense to keep the laptop IF they can incorporate an OS in to the mixer.

You just need a big monitor LIKE the laptop and fullsized keyboard, (or smaller).

Taking the work out of all the preconfiguration of an OS would be monumental.

The only convenience of a laptop is downloading music on the spot.

Heres were I disagree, I find it cumbersome to have to have to transfer my music into my mixers computer, unless they plan on making a mixer thats a full on computer with the ability to run OSX/Win 7 any all my other apps it just gives vendors another reason to make mixer's that much more expensive

Also that means you have to bring your mixer to every event with you, do you think these vendors are gonna all develop with the same standards? Of course not they will develop there own mixer cpu that probably only works with their system

Finally I just dont see the laptop leaving the DJ booth in favor of mixer with a built in CPU, touch screen/wireless keyboard/mouse extra usb port for external HD combination. All of that you guys want is on your laptop already, you want your laptop inside the mixer now thats what this sounds like to me.

ijs
Taipanic 6:34 PM - 21 May, 2015
I think touchscreens built into a club mixer would only last 1-2 years. DJs have an innate talent for destroying equipment that isn't theirs.

Always sucks playing on abused gear, would suck even more so if that means you don't have access to cue points, looping, etc...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:43 PM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:
Heres were I disagree, I find it cumbersome to have to have to transfer my music into my mixers computer, unless they plan on making a mixer thats a full on computer with the ability to run OSX/Win 7 any all my other apps it just gives vendors another reason to make mixer's that much more expensive

Also that means you have to bring your mixer to every event with you, do you think these vendors are gonna all develop with the same standards? Of course not they will develop there own mixer cpu that probably only works with their system

I'm thinking the mixer can connect to any external HD. Also it depends on the setup.

1.) If the "Futuristic" Mixer is already at the club, you obviously wouldn't bring yours, you'd bring your HD....assuming the keyboard / mouse is there already.

2.) If there is NO mixer in the club, you'd have to bring the Futuristic one anyway, along with the HD, keyboard, & mouse.

3.) If they have a REGULAR Serato or Non Serato mixer in the club, you'd then bring your Laptop/Serato Box whatever...and no keyboard / mouse.

You're bringing the same amount of stuff if you're doing option 2 or 3.

If you're doing option 1, you're carrying even LESS stuff.

Quote:
Finally I just dont see the laptop leaving the DJ booth in favor of mixer with a built in CPU, touch screen/wireless keyboard/mouse extra usb port for external HD combination. All of that you guys want is on your laptop already, you want your laptop inside the mixer now thats what this sounds like to me.

You have to remember, the LAPTOP was the lastest and most variable product, introduced into the DJ chain of things that you most likely NEED to DJ.

Before it was 2 turntables and a mixer.

Now it's 2 turntables a mixer and a laptop.

The future would be 2 turntables and a mixer that has the capability to do what the laptop was ushered into the DJ chain for in the first place....to give you access to electronic files...

The truth is that you really just need the FILES...it doesn't matter what device runs the program to play them.
AKIEM 7:00 PM - 21 May, 2015
The other thing is there is really only so much power and space required. Whether "it" is built into a mixer or not will be sort of an unnecessary question.

I think its pretty inevitable that the tablet and laptop will completely merge and there will be all types of very small capable devices at hand - pretty close now.

And if your old and miserable ass wants to feel like you are on a type writer there will be a case for you - same as iPad keyboard.

There will be no reason to keep the screen separated from the CPU, battery, memory... One serface is inevitable.
 6 7:06 PM - 21 May, 2015
"The future would be 2 turntables and a mixer that has the capability to do what the laptop was ushered into the DJ chain for in the first place....to give you access to electronic files..."

I disagree. You can't force people to use one type of mixer - so like it's been said. Either you bring your own mixer with your music already loaded there (or an external if that's the case) or you deal with whatever is provided for you - and you just bring your laptop.

That's provided this new mixer has a built in touch screen.. and if it doesn't and you have to bring a screen on top of that... might as well stay the way it is.

The laptop ain't going nowhere for a very long time.

nm
Gio Alex 7:22 PM - 21 May, 2015
Ya'll are hating hard. Ima make this mod for myself so I can save space. lol

Less screen staring. Just play the damn music and dance.
Mr. Goodkat 8:36 PM - 21 May, 2015
has nothing to do with hating, it has to do with

1. you have to bring your own mixer or club has to have the mixer
2. the screen has to be easy to read and search(like a laptop)
3. atm and check out screens work, but they have big huge buttons and easy to touch with generally 15'' screens or bigger. were talking about a 5-7'' screen. does that seem the same as an atm or check out screen.
4. taipanic noted that djs break stuff. what happens when you come in one nite and the previous dj messes up the mixer? you can use the screen? with a laptop, if joe blow uses a corrupt file or his laptop has some sort of virus on his laptop thats on him.
5. you have to search meaning you have to have a legit keyboard. i can type much faster on a laptop keyboard without mistake than any touch screen keyboard.
6.whos gonna make this mixer that everyone will use? pioneer ? wait, half the people from this board wont even mess with pioneer. rane? nah that wont happen. other companies? what other companies do djs trust in clubs?

in the future maybe the tech will be available to make this more feasable, but right now its just redundant under the current tech availability.
Gio Alex 9:44 PM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:
1. you have to bring your own mixer or club has to have the mixer

Do it all the time for shitty venues anyway. I have spare mixers. I particularly have one in a flight case at all times. Always. Just for gigs.

Quote:
2. the screen has to be easy to read and search(like a laptop)

I started off vinyl in low lit situations where I can barely see the grove. It's not that complicated in 2015. Look at the NI Traktor Kontrol D2s. Crisp display. Honestly, it will be a thing and we will adapter just like any change all of us DJs complain about.

Quote:
3. atm and check out screens work, but they have big huge buttons and easy to touch with generally 15'' screens or bigger. were talking about a 5-7'' screen. does that seem the same as an atm or check out screen.

Button and touch screen combo. Like the scroll knob on serato rane mixers.

Quote:
4. taipanic noted that djs break stuff. what happens when you come in one nite and the previous dj messes up the mixer? you can use the screen? with a laptop, if joe blow uses a corrupt file or his laptop has some sort of virus on his laptop thats on him.

You can always just plug in your serato box just like usual and not use the features. Crappy, clumsy and sloppy DJs break shit all the time. That's always going to be a thing. You and I know that.
Quote:
5. you have to search meaning you have to have a legit keyboard. i can type much faster on a laptop keyboard without mistake than any touch screen keyboard.

use your iphone or ipad as a midi control keyboard app. I mean, there's ways around this.

Quote:
6.whos gonna make this mixer that everyone will use? pioneer ? wait, half the people from this board wont even mess with pioneer. rane? nah that wont happen. other companies? what other companies do djs trust in clubs?

Lol I will save this message. Someone will make the attempt. Will it be successful? who knows, maybe not. But it is on it's way. They've already done it, just not for DVS.
Mutis Mayfield 9:50 PM - 21 May, 2015
The only thing which could replace a macbook (or mac mini) are powerfull ipads or newcoming appletv (with appstore, reduced price and all the dj apps and so.)

Sooner or later seratodj will be running in iOS (or the final product whatever it will be called when ipad pro or new appletv will be released)

It is just around the corner (first week of june).

Let's bet?
Gio Alex 9:53 PM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:
The only thing which could replace a macbook (or mac mini) are powerfull ipads or newcoming appletv (with appstore, reduced price and all the dj apps and so.)

Sooner or later seratodj will be running in iOS (or the final product whatever it will be called when ipad pro or new appletv will be released)

Let's bet?

I'm sure it'll happen. Traktor already did it. I bought that app out of boredom and never really used it. But it works, and that was like 2 years ago, at least.
DJ Remy USA 10:08 PM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I'm thinking the mixer can connect to any external HD. Also it depends on the setup.

1.) If the "Futuristic" Mixer is already at the club, you obviously wouldn't bring yours, you'd bring your HD....assuming the keyboard / mouse is there already.

2.) If there is NO mixer in the club, you'd have to bring the Futuristic one anyway, along with the HD, keyboard, & mouse.

3.) If they have a REGULAR Serato or Non Serato mixer in the club, you'd then bring your Laptop/Serato Box whatever...and no keyboard / mouse.

Quote:

You have to remember, the LAPTOP was the lastest and most variable product, introduced into the DJ chain of things that you most likely NEED to DJ.

The future would be 2 turntables and a mixer that has the capability to do what the laptop was ushered into the DJ chain for in the first place....to give you access to electronic files...

The truth is that you really just need the FILES...it doesn't matter what device runs the program to play them.

I need the work flow, I just cant see it being better without the laptop. Plus I dont want my mixer to be my computer and I dont want to move files twice from the laptop into the mixer, then we probably have to analyze the files too so that we access to cue points, loops, etc
Mr. Goodkat 10:09 PM - 21 May, 2015
pioneer has that controller that has the screen that looks doable. outside of my reasons above, which i think you made good points, if you look 10 yrs down the road will turntables be realistic to create technology for the small market share they make up for djs.

think about it, 20 years ago, probably 90-95% tts in clubs with 5-10%cds . 10 years ago, about 60-70% tt and 30-40% cdj 5% dvs laptop. 2015 maybe 25% tt, with the rest being cdjs/controllers/computer without either. The resurgence of actual vinyl (not cv) has to do with listeners not djs.

i just dont see the analytics for a major corporation to create this type of technology on a mass scale for dvs.
DJ Remy USA 10:10 PM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:

Let's bet?

I could see the Ipad taking over DJ setup before I see them putting computers inside of mixers
DJ Remy USA 10:12 PM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:

not hating everyone just has different opinions on it
Gio Alex 10:12 PM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

not hating everyone just has different opinions on it

I agree, it was for lack of a better word. But I don't think the idea is that crazy.
Gio Alex 10:16 PM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:
pioneer has that controller that has the screen that looks doable. outside of my reasons above, which i think you made good points, if you look 10 yrs down the road will turntables be realistic to create technology for the small market share they make up for djs.

think about it, 20 years ago, probably 90-95% tts in clubs with 5-10%cds . 10 years ago, about 60-70% tt and 30-40% cdj 5% dvs laptop. 2015 maybe 25% tt, with the rest being cdjs/controllers/computer without either. The resurgence of actual vinyl (not cv) has to do with listeners not djs.

i just dont see the analytics for a major corporation to create this type of technology on a mass scale for dvs.

I mean, I see where you're getting at. This is true. But there are DJs out there demanding it. It may not be the majority, but I still think a company will make an attempt at this. It can always serve as a controller anyway. Similar to the one that stanton, pio and numark make that don't require you using your computer. All in one solution; no computer. Not saying it's going to replace computers, but some may like such an option.
Mr. Goodkat 10:22 PM - 21 May, 2015
i wanna see how this pioneer turntable thing goes as far as sales and maybe a mkII or plx 2000 come out.

if pioneer goes in on the idea, i can see it working, just because they have the biggest hardware infrastructure and money.

who knows maybe serato/traktor and pioneer are working on it as we speak....
AKIEM 10:22 PM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Let's bet?

I could see the Ipad taking over DJ setup before I see them putting computers inside of mixers

Thats my point about the question becoming mute when size becomes a none issue.

When iOS and osx merge and the difference between a laptop and tablet is a keyboard peripheral - it won't really matter.
d:raf 10:23 PM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:

I may be reading this wrong (or maybe I'm just country), but I've never seen an ATM with a 15" screen.
AKIEM 10:24 PM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I need the work flow, I just cant see it being better without the laptop. Plus I dont want my mixer to be my computer and I dont want to move files twice from the laptop into the mixer, then we probably have to analyze the files too so that we access to cue points, loops, etc

Well you wouldn't, you would just keep your files on flash drive.
Gio Alex 10:25 PM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Exactly! Similar to Rekordbox
Mr. Goodkat 11:05 PM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I may be reading this wrong (or maybe I'm just country), but I've never seen an ATM with a 15" screen.

the big ones at the bank or bank drive thrus? the small cheap ones have buttons on the side,
as far as ive seen.
d:raf 11:17 PM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

the big ones at the bank or bank drive thrus? the small cheap ones have buttons on the side,
as far as ive seen.

...like this? insidebiz.com

That looks more like a 10"-13" to me (comparing with my MBP that I'm using now versus the 15" I have at home). Hard to tell just from the pic though.

</contemplates taking a ruler to the ATM>.
 6 11:22 PM - 21 May, 2015
" I agree, it was for lack of a better word. But I don't think the idea is that crazy. "

I don't think the idea is crazy at all... just impractical at this point.

nm
Mr. Goodkat 3:08 AM - 22 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

as far as ive seen.

...like this? insidebiz.com

That looks more like a 10"-13" to me (comparing with my MBP that I'm using now versus the 15" I have at home). Hard to tell just from the pic though.

</contemplates taking a ruler to the ATM>.

this advertising site says that adds must be on 8-15'' screens so...

www.cashcard.com.au

and this spec is 15''. www.diebold.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:57 AM - 22 May, 2015
Quote:
The laptop ain't going nowhere for a very long time.
nm

It absolutely will...

Might wind up being some wireless Apple watch app which connects to the mixer....

Trust, the technology is there, it's all the corporate and political string pullers of the industry calling the shots.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:00 AM - 22 May, 2015
Quote:

Who keeps saying move files to the mixer?

Hopefully by then SOMEONE will have a better library management system, and all you have to do is hook up an external...
AKIEM 5:36 AM - 22 May, 2015
you can pretend its a laptop all you want: cnet1.cbsistatic.com
DJ Remy USA 1:32 PM - 22 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Let's bet?

Thats my point about the question becoming mute when size becomes a none issue.

When iOS and osx merge and the difference between a laptop and tablet is a keyboard peripheral - it won't really matter.

I could dig this, Im also dreading the whole laptop/tablet merging I see slowly happening. I already have an Ipad mini with a keyboard on it but I only use it for business and fun not for anything music related.

What needs to happen first is record pools need apps like DMS has a dope app that syncs with drop box but its only for Iphone not even Ipad supports it..anyways another subject
DJ Remy USA 1:32 PM - 22 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I met you in person you aint country at all..lol
DJ Remy USA 1:35 PM - 22 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Yea but that doesnt work keeping my media on a flash drive unless they come out with a 1TB flash drive its not feasible. I produce to and I need quick access to my media I cant have it 2 different places when I need sample for a remix in ableton I dont want to have to plug in another media device to access it. I like everything all internal but thats just my work flow I know guys who have 3 different devices with media spread across all three I cant even imagine staying organized. Again this is just my work flow I need my media centralized.
DJ Remy USA 1:36 PM - 22 May, 2015
Quote:
you can pretend its a laptop all you want: cnet1.cbsistatic.com

I have this exactly for my Ipad mini its super dope, I WILL NEVER DJ with it
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:50 PM - 22 May, 2015
Quote:
Yea but that doesnt work keeping my media on a flash drive unless they come out with a 1TB flash drive its not feasible. I produce to and I need quick access to my media I cant have it 2 different places when I need sample for a remix in ableton I dont want to have to plug in another media device to access it. I like everything all internal but thats just my work flow I know guys who have 3 different devices with media spread across all three I cant even imagine staying organized. Again this is just my work flow I need my media centralized.

Yo, I'm with you on the whole work off an internal drive etc...but truth be told, technology is advancing at such a rate that the externals will be smaller than ever and hold a lot more than 1 TB. And you already know they have external FLASH drives, so speed shouldn't be an issue...
DJ Remy USA 2:06 PM - 22 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Yo, I'm with you on the whole work off an internal drive etc...but truth be told, technology is advancing at such a rate that the externals will be smaller than ever and hold a lot more than 1 TB. And you already know they have external FLASH drives, so speed shouldn't be an issue...

I would have to have something like happen first, Im not against getting rid of the laptop but the alternative has be better and has to improve my current work flow. Im at the point where I know what works for me and Im sure everyone else is too, I dont mind doing something new but I need to be slowly introduced to new work flow patterns and removing the laptop changes the work flow in a major way for me
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:17 PM - 22 May, 2015
Quote:
I would have to have something like happen first, Im not against getting rid of the laptop but the alternative has be better and has to improve my current work flow. Im at the point where I know what works for me and Im sure everyone else is too, I dont mind doing something new but I need to be slowly introduced to new work flow patterns and removing the laptop changes the work flow in a major way for me

Ha, you sound like me! No version 1.0 anything here bruh! If ti ain't broke....

But yeah, by the time this mixer gets invented, storage will be a non issue....
 6 3:13 PM - 22 May, 2015
The laptop will merge into an iPad or something like it - That's where Apple is heading. We all know that.

Still - I don't see that going away. (I needed to correct myself since I did say laptop but in reality, the laptop is just morphing.)

nm
AKIEM 3:48 PM - 22 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Well there are 1TB USB flash drives available right now.

And a little bigger with an extra USB cable plenty of 2.5" SSDs

Its just a matter of some years when most users will be able to store all their data on a cheap SSD drive.
AKIEM 3:49 PM - 22 May, 2015
Quote:
The laptop will merge into an iPad or something like it - That's where Apple is heading. We all know that.

Still - I don't see that going away. (I needed to correct myself since I did say laptop but in reality, the laptop is just morphing.)

nm

In other words, its going away.
WarpNote 3:53 PM - 22 May, 2015
Quote:

Yep, had one for over a year now...
AKIEM 3:55 PM - 22 May, 2015
www.engadget.com

10TB SSD on the way.
WarpNote 4:10 PM - 22 May, 2015
I'd LOVE that!!
AKIEM 4:28 PM - 22 May, 2015
Quote:
I'd LOVE that!!

Yup!
AKIEM 4:48 PM - 22 May, 2015
Cmon 10TB SSD? thats ALL my data ever...
d:raf 5:15 PM - 22 May, 2015
Quote:

...at least until 4k video (or something like it) becomes "standard"; 1 gig = 3 minutes of video.

forums.androidcentral.com
AKIEM 5:20 PM - 22 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

...at least until 4k video (or something like it) becomes "standard"; 1 gig = 3 minutes of video.

forums.androidcentral.com

Yeah, I was just thinking about how you make the space and it gets filled....
WarpNote 6:11 PM - 22 May, 2015
Quote:

I think I am at about 25-30 TB now, and its growing everyday.
I do a lot of video work, 4K in floating point color resolution is
becoming the new standard, does take up a lot of space...

And Im not counting the redundant double backups into this.
AKIEM 6:16 PM - 22 May, 2015
Jeeze
skinnyguy 6:31 PM - 22 May, 2015
embedded in the mixer? maybe, but pio already does it with their cdjs. i'm sure that's where it's headed with their analog turntables. plx 2000 right there. bring your own keyboard/mouse/monitor. just give it a few years to spread with their hype machine and endorsed djs.

would be nice if all that was needed to upgrade to the next model would be to upgrade the chip. but corporations would want you to buy the entire thing. so maybe your chip-embedded gear would last for 2 - 3 years before an updated chip needs updated hardware to go with the new features. but imagine a mixer as a hub. plug your chip in one port and the other ports are for your flash drives / hard drives. time for an upgrade? get a new chip/dongle.

and this is just for audio files. vj's are gonna def gonna need something beefier.

on a side note, there is a full blown windows computer on one of those stick things like the chromecast. i believe someone in the photobooth community already got it working for a booth. i don't see why a dj program wouldn't be able to be installed on a strong enough machine that size. then the mixer could still act as a hub with replaceable stick computers. so technically the laptop is gone, but the computer is still there. and like before, bring your own mouse/monitor/etc.
DJ Remy USA 9:13 PM - 22 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Its just a matter of some years when most users will be able to store all their data on a cheap SSD drive.

bro those 1TB USB drives are formatted in EXfat you can format a drive any size you want in EXfat doesnt mean its actually that size. I need to see proof of an actual 1TB flash drive that a consumer could afford.
DJ Remy USA 9:14 PM - 22 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Yep, had one for over a year now...

show me and how is the drive partitioned I would love to find me one of these
DJ Remy USA 9:15 PM - 22 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I think I am at about 25-30 TB now, and its growing everyday.
I do a lot of video work, 4K in floating point color resolution is
becoming the new standard, does take up a lot of space...

And Im not counting the redundant double backups into this.

thats just too much you have more data than some full scale fourtune 500 enterprise networks. 30 TB is not a little number not at all
WarpNote 10:07 PM - 22 May, 2015
You guys obviously never worked with pro video. My graphic/video/audio projects folders go back to early 00s. Most people in this business have way more actually.
AKIEM 11:59 PM - 22 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

bro those 1TB USB drives are formatted in EXfat you can format a drive any size you want in EXfat doesnt mean its actually that size. I need to see proof of an actual 1TB flash drive that a consumer could afford.

Right, but we are talking about the future