Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

dj pool video files errors

DJ Marv the Maverick 6:37 AM - 15 May, 2015
I get my videos from one of the top 2 recommend video pools.

I noticed that some videos come up with the lightening sign and "file contains incorrect data structure" message.

When I try to analyse those videos, they are skipped by Serato DJ and Scratch Live.

But when I load them on a deck the wave starts to build and the lightening sign goes away and they play normally. But if I edit an information in the tags, the lightening returns and wave form has to be built again when I load.

Its just not one or two videos. I don't know the exact number as its during my set that I see the videos in question.

First time I noticed about 30 videos, I re encoded them through handbrake as I didn't want to start downloading dozens of videos again. And that sorted it out. I'm kinda wary about having to do that to the new files as I'm aware of reduction in quality of my method.

I have contacted the pool and they have kindly offered me a decent extension on my current subscription.

I'm just trying to trouble shoot, is it something from my end? I use OSX and download via Chrome or Firefox.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:30 AM - 15 May, 2015
I have just scanned the tags of my video library, there are 415 videos affected

"This file has incorrect data structure"

I know i have played many of them before and now they are all missing "wave builds"

Still trouble shooting
They were not all downloaded on the same day.
e.g on a particular date of downloading, some videos were without errors whilst about 25 were with errors.

I'm at a loss.
djnak 8:11 AM - 15 May, 2015
some how the metadata got corrupt more than likely...you might me able to fix effect file by doing a "save as" in mpeg streamclip (<<< I haven't actually done this in a really really long time or even have mpeg streamclip anymore so I can offer no help on settings)

Just remember if you do this you are basically just resave the files in a new container and will lose all previous metadata
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:06 AM - 15 May, 2015
Can I use quick time instead? I've got Mpegstreamclip also.

I just tried a "save as" in quick time and compared original and copy in VideoSpecs.
There was no difference in specs. I played the file too and there was no difference in quality.
The new file has no errors.

So QuickTime or Mpegstreamclip?
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:07 AM - 15 May, 2015
Will "KeyFinder" corrupt my metadata?
djnak 7:57 PM - 15 May, 2015
I have never used key finder so I can offer no help , If quicktime does a save as the same as mpegstreamclip I dont see why not?
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:37 PM - 15 May, 2015
Trouble shooting continues.
I dont think its "Keyfinder" as i didnt run all the videos through it after downloading.
Could it be my downloader (chrome and firefox)?
I normally use the "download queue" method from the pool. Could it be that? I will try straight download.

Work around
Spent the entire afternoon "saving as" in Mpegstreamclip.
LOST ALL METADATA and have to readd them to crates again.

I need to find a solution to prevent reoccurrence.
Code:E 10:09 PM - 15 May, 2015
Quote:
Will "KeyFinder" corrupt my metadata?

Maybe. I have never used key finder but it could be it. If keyfinder built for videos?
Quote:
Could it be my downloader (chrome and firefox)?

Are you using a software downloader or just the part built right into chrome?
Quote:
I normally use the "download queue" method from the pool. Could it be that? I will try straight download.

Assuming you talking about xtendamix, I have never had that cause a single issue. I don't like the VJ pro zip files and download them method, I would suggest not doing that.

Quote:
I need to find a solution to prevent reoccurrence.

We still need to find the cause.
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:53 PM - 15 May, 2015
Hey Code:E thanks for chiming in

1. Keyfinder is for audio to my knowledge. I tried a batch of videos in it following download from the pool as they didnt have Key Codes in the metadata. Maybe i ran a 100 video through it nothing more than that. It was just a trial and i havent scanned any files again in it. But i had over 400 videos with the error in question. So that kinda rules out KeyFinder as the culprit. Even some videos i downloaded last week.

2. I'm using the downloader built into the browsers (chrome initially, lately firefox)

3. Im with Smash. My workflow - Preview tracks if i like, i queue it, after adding all tracks to the queue, I go through the list again, deleting ones i dont need, then hit download, i usually hit 5 downloads at a time, then transfer to external HD, scan in Serato, thats where i start seeing the errors on some files.

4. Still looking. Im gonna be downloading carefully now. After each file is downloaded i will give it a quick spin in serato. Its not fun having to edit data of over 400 files. All cue is gone and they were ones i set not the ones that came with the file from the pool.

Uber frustrating to say the least.
Code:E 12:14 AM - 16 May, 2015
Quote:
3. Im with Smash. My workflow - Preview tracks if i like, i queue it, after adding all tracks to the queue, I go through the list again, deleting ones i dont need, then hit download, i usually hit 5 downloads at a time, then transfer to external HD, scan in Serato, thats where i start seeing the errors on some files.

Excatly what I do, and I have never had an issue, so I think your good too go there.

Man I wish I could help more. I don't know what else to try at the moment. Hopfully DJ Mark chimes in, he's really smart and knows morew about the makup of files than I do.

What version of SDJ are you runing, or SSL. I know SSL had a version that would destry files. I think it was SSL2.3.3 (the version that came on the CD with my SL4). Sdj might be having the same issue.
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:37 AM - 16 May, 2015
I'm using 1.7.5 Serato DJ
I barely use Scratch Live again but in my frustrations I gave it a spin to see if it was global. I believe I have the 2.5
DJ DisGrace 1:20 AM - 16 May, 2015
Quote:
Spent the entire afternoon "saving as" in Mpegstreamclip.

You can run a Batch List.

Quote:
LOST ALL METADATA

Yes, you will. That's the point. Like Nak said:
Quote:
Just remember if you do this you are basically just resave the files in a new container and will lose all previous metadata

Quote:
have to readd them to crates again.

You can just overwrite the new "Saved As" file in the original hard drive folder, no need to redo crates in Serato.

Hope these tips help save some time.... Unfortunately I can't think of any reason why they are being corrupted in the first place.