DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Choice of 3 PA Systems

Boltonguy 7:38 AM - 5 May, 2015
Hi Guys. Hope you are all well and keeping busy.

I am in the process of upgrading my system (2 X DXR15s). Although I am not a DJ as such (I'm a singer using backing tracks) I do use the system for pretty much the same type of venues as you.

Anyway, I'm looking at 3 systems

1. 2 X Yamaha DXS12 Subs with 2 X Yamaha DXR10 Tops (1 sub for smaller venues and 2 subs for larger venues)
2. 2 X ETX-15P Tops
3. 2 X RCF745a Tops

Here in the UK they all fall in the cost bracket of £2,000

I am choosing the above brands due to local aftersales service

I do like a full sound with nice round bottom end. Would a 12 inch sub be better than a 15 inch top? The specs for the ETX & RCF Tops do state a lower frequency than the DXS12 sub but the sub will be coupled with the floor.

Please note that I am a solo artist so carrying 18 inch heavy subs around with me is not an option.

The venues I perform at vary from a small corner in a bar to a 300 person function room.

Types of music are the usual 60s, 70s, 80s party music.

Thanks for all your advice
Joee 12:08 PM - 5 May, 2015
Quote:
1. 2 X Yamaha DXS12 Subs with 2 X Yamaha DXR10 Tops (1 sub for smaller venues and 2 subs for larger venues)
2. 2 X ETX-15P Tops
3. 2 X RCF745a Tops

all very good choices

Quote:
Please note that I am a solo artist so carrying 18 inch heavy subs around with me is not an option.

don't be so sure about that, the new ev ekx 18" subs weighs just as much as the 12" yamaha dxs12
www.electrovoice.com

the 15" ev is 56lbs
www.electrovoice.com

Quote:
I do like a full sound with nice round bottom end. Would a 12 inch sub be better than a 15 inch top? The specs for the ETX & RCF Tops do state a lower frequency than the DXS12 sub but the sub will be coupled with the floor.

the dxs12/dxr10 combo will give you that bottom that your looking for, but the art745-a with it's 4" compression driver will give your vocals the best sound. project far & sound crystal clear even at very hight SPL

so why not get the art 745 & get a rcf sub, this one actually weighs less than the dxs12
www.rcf.it
Boltonguy 12:23 PM - 5 May, 2015
Thanks for that. The trouble with a 18 or 15 sub is space as well as weight. I can sometimes be in a small corner for a bar which is why I opted for the 12 sub option. Also the rcf top and sub option is out of my budget.
Code:E 7:42 PM - 5 May, 2015
I would do #1
BigWave DJ 12:12 AM - 6 May, 2015
@Boltonguy, I have the #1 set up and I've very happy with the performance. Like you I also have the DXR15's as well and in both cases the bang for your buck is hard to beat. Indeed the DSX12's are kinda heavy I think. No doubt the RCF would be a better option but the price is(Canada) very high and really not that many dealers stock the line. I really would like to hear them.
You can go wrong with the Yamaha's, get the covers!
Boltonguy 6:27 AM - 7 May, 2015
Thanks. I've arranged a demo of the Yamaha DXR/DXS, the RCF745, the RCF evox8 and the EV ETX15P this Saturday at my local music store. Will let you know how I get on.
Boltonguy 4:24 PM - 9 May, 2015
Ok. Just come back from the music shop. I tried RCF745a, ETX-15P and the DXR10/DXS12 combo

1. The RCF has a very bright mid and top and is very powerful.
2. The ETX15 again is the same but with slightly less top. A little more bass than the RCF
3. The DXR10/DXS12 combo was obviously more bottom heavy due to the separate sub. The highs weren't as pronounced as the RCF and the EV

I like a nice full sound with bottom end. My friend preferred the RCF but she prefers miss and highs. However a pair a RCFs would be £2,000.

My intention was to have two tops and two subs on the Yamaha but after testing it was deemed that 1 sub and 2 tops was ample and kept up with the RCF and EV.

At first the shop had the RCF On the stage floor so the bass was lovely, however as soon as they went on sticks you lost most of the bottom end. My friend still said they had enough bass but it just wasn't the same as the DXS12 sub.

I decided to buy 2 DXR10s with 1 DXS12 sub which cost £1300. I couldn't justify the extra £700 for the RCFs.

Luckily I spend a bit of money at the shop so I have them on approval. A gig tonight and tomorrow so will see how the system goes. I do have a soft spot for the yamahas as my old system was 2 DXR15s and I believe the 1 sub and 2 tops is a significant improvement on that

I will let you all know how they go after the weekend gigs.

Thanks for all your input.
Mr. Goodkat 12:59 AM - 12 May, 2015
can we make a pa/lighting section for these posts?
Boltonguy 8:27 PM - 18 May, 2015
Well I've used the rig for 2 weekends and I think I'm going to trade it in for 2 15 tops again. I just found the sub to be a bit too thumpy and not smooth. I did the settings in extended low frequency with a 100 hz crossover but I am just not happy with the sound. I'm going to take them back and get 2 EV EKX15 powered tops. This is the same price. This will reduce set up/down time and the bottom end will be smoother and more controllable. I think the EKX tops will be an upgrade from my DXR15 tops plus they are a wood finish. I have 1 more gig on Friday with this DXS/DXR set up so will see if I can improve the sound. If not then it's EV. At least I gave it a try.
Joee 8:41 PM - 18 May, 2015
Quote:
I'm going to take them back and get 2 EV EKX15

why not look @
Quote:
the 15" ev is 56lbs
www.electrovoice.com

& the 12" 41lbs
www.electrovoice.com
Joee 8:42 PM - 18 May, 2015
Quote:
I just found the sub to be a bit too thumpy and not smooth.

sounds like you need a 18" the ekx 18" weight is the same as a dxs12
Boltonguy 9:08 PM - 18 May, 2015
Yes I've seen the range. The 15 sub is tempting. Very lightweight and good specs and not a band pass. May get the 15 powered tops first then sub later in the year when I have the larger Xmas parties lined up. I did look at the Yamaha DSR115 but size is bigger and its heavier.
Al Poulin 9:56 PM - 18 May, 2015
DSR115s are VERY tough to limit. :-)

Al
Al Poulin 9:57 PM - 18 May, 2015
they are big and heavy, but are built to last. The Line-X finish on them is WAY better than the whimpy finish on the DXRs - my only compaint about the DXRs.

Al
Al Poulin 10:09 PM - 18 May, 2015
Joee's idea of simply trying a better sounding/performing sub is certainly a good one. I personally prefer a pair however. I'm always thinking "what if my sub fails?" Then you're left with really whimpy sound. If you have a pair of them though, you can still sound decent for the rest of the night.

Al
JDforKing 11:24 PM - 18 May, 2015
Quote:
Well I've used the rig for 2 weekends and I think I'm going to trade it in for 2 15 tops again. I just found the sub to be a bit too thumpy and not smooth. I did the settings in extended low frequency with a 100 hz crossover but I am just not happy with the sound. I'm going to take them back and get 2 EV EKX15 powered tops. This is the same price. This will reduce set up/down time and the bottom end will be smoother and more controllable. I think the EKX tops will be an upgrade from my DXR15 tops plus they are a wood finish. I have 1 more gig on Friday with this DXS/DXR set up so will see if I can improve the sound. If not then it's EV. At least I gave it a try.

I have a pair of ev elx15p (i had a pair of yamaha dxr15 but sold them) and i also have the dxr dxs combo and 15s on sticks do not compare to the dxr dxs combo. Having a dedicated sub will always give better bass response in my opinion.
Boltonguy 8:13 AM - 19 May, 2015
Yes I do appreciate that a 3 way system is better than a 2 way system but I'm just not keen on the sound that the DXS12 gives out. I'm a solo singer using backing tracks 60s to 10s. Having 2 subs is too much on both weight and cost. Do I think having 2 EKX15 tops with a EKX15 sub will be the best solution. Ou bringing out the sub as and when needed. I can't believe the 15 sub is 5kg lighter than the DXS12
Boltonguy 10:04 AM - 20 May, 2015
last one. Has anyone compared the Alto Black 15 top with the EKX15P top? there is only £10 difference between the 2 speakers.
dj_soo 11:09 AM - 20 May, 2015
EV is a much more trusted brand than Alto - most anyone will tell you that.
Boltonguy 12:10 PM - 20 May, 2015
Yes I know that EV are the more well known brand but here in the UK, Alto certainly has a large presence in the market and the black series seems to be more pro than the TS series
dj_soo 7:24 AM - 22 May, 2015
I didn't say well-known - I said trusted.

The Blacks do seem like a higher quality than the TS, but they couldn't get the TS series right what with all the reports of blown speakers, so what makes you think they'll be able to get the Blacks right?
Boltonguy 7:38 AM - 22 May, 2015
I've decided to go with the 2 ETX15P speakers then get the EKX15SP sub in a couple of months. That rig should see m through my gigs for a good while :-)
Boltonguy 7:39 AM - 22 May, 2015
I meant EKX15P tops
dj_soo 8:07 AM - 22 May, 2015
is there a reason you're going with 15" tops when you're planning on using a sub?
Boltonguy 8:14 AM - 22 May, 2015
I'm not planning on using the sub for all gigs. Only the larger ones.
dj_soo 8:26 AM - 22 May, 2015
I would probably suggest the 18" sub to pair with the 15s then. 2 would be better.
Boltonguy 9:44 AM - 22 May, 2015
Thanks dj but cost and space is at a premium. It's basically now between 2 RCF745s (my local retailer is telling me these are the ones to get) which cost £2,000 a pair. Or 2 EKX15P which have a better mixer on the back, look cleaner, are wood and would come in at £1600 a pair. This would leave me £400 to put to a sub for the future. Hmmmm I hate my indecisiveness
Boltonguy 4:51 PM - 30 May, 2015
Just thought I'd update. Went to 2 shops today. 1st shop with 2 EKX15 tops. Ran music through a dynacord desk. Nice sound but a little sharp and quite distorted top end. Also, a small thing but it's not very clear to see from the back if you are limiting. I'm a singer so I'm used to looking for a red light on the back of a speaker to see if I'm peaking. I imagine trying to glimpse over at the LCD display on the EV is rather difficult. Anyway I then went back to the other shop to retest the RCF745. Had a pair on stocks running through a Yamaha MGP desk. Same songs and I just straight away heard the difference. Much clearer cleaner and fuller. More fuller bass notes too. I tried to get the limit light on the back blinking but just couldn't. It's a simpler interface on the back. Basically 3 lights. 1 XLR input and a boost button. Plus it's 5kg lighter. It is £200 a box dearer than the EKX but I just heard a clearer fuller sound on this box. I'm going to push the button tomorrow. Thanks for all your input guys. Please check this RCF box out.
dj_soo 7:20 PM - 30 May, 2015
if you get a sub for those RCFs, just make sure it has a built-in crossover.
Boltonguy 7:44 PM - 30 May, 2015
That is the downside of the RCFs but there are many subs with crossovers that I could use in future. I just felt the RCF was a bigger upward step than the EKX
dj_soo 9:44 PM - 30 May, 2015
it's a whole class above the EKX - the comparable EV speaker would be the ETX, but most reports are the RCF is still better.
Al Poulin 9:52 PM - 30 May, 2015
For your applications, the RCFs should be excellent and you should notice an improvement in vocal clarity and projection given the huge HF driver and low crossover point.

Al
desmorider 11:56 PM - 30 May, 2015
The ekx is nowhere near the same league as the 745a. I think the reason the price is so close between the two is that you giys pay a premium for the ev's across the pond. The 745a has a 4in coil on the horn and a crossover freq of 650hz. Hard to beat that. The zxa5 ev compares to the loudness of the 745a, however I think the 745 sounds better. My opinion.
Joee 12:21 AM - 31 May, 2015
Quote:
The ekx is nowhere near the same league as the 745a. I think the reason the price is so close between the two

huh?

are we talking about the ekx15p?

i got a price of $1,220 for the 745, the exk15p i was quoted a price of half that
Boltonguy 12:35 AM - 31 May, 2015
Here in the UK the price of the EKX15P is £850. The price of the RCF745 is £999
Joee 12:45 AM - 31 May, 2015
Quote:

ekx
www.agiprodj.com

www.fullcompass.com
desmorider 12:56 AM - 31 May, 2015
Quote:

Usa product imported to uk=$$$$$$$$. How much is ev zxa5 and etx15p there?
Boltonguy 7:02 AM - 31 May, 2015
Zxa5 = £1400. ETX15 = £1100
Boltonguy 7:03 AM - 31 May, 2015
However I think there is a new agreement (TTIP) being agreed which may reduce prices on imports and exports between US and Europe.
Boltonguy 7:28 PM - 5 June, 2015
Pick up the RCF745s tomorrow. First gig with them on Sunday so will let you know how they go :-)
desmorider 3:13 AM - 9 June, 2015
Quote:
Pick up the RCF745s tomorrow. First gig with them on Sunday so will let you know how they go :-)

Did you get the 745's?