Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

iPad remote usb bus

Pabloz 7:33 PM - 24 April, 2015
I've given up my ddi sx for a ddi sb and looking at adding another controller, the iPad remote will be fine.

I only have 2 usb ports on my computer, one for the controller and one for my hard disk with all my tunes.

Which one is better to use a usb port for? the disk or controller? I don't want to connect the iPad wirelessly, the lag is enough but I don't have my wireless on when working for performance.

cheers.
Logisticalstyles 2:21 PM - 28 April, 2015
I would guess you'd have to run the external hard drive through a USB hub since Serato is pretty insistent on user's connecting the hardware directly to the computer. Why did you give up an SX for an SB?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 6:02 PM - 28 April, 2015
Or just carry create an ADHOC network and use the Remote wirelessly, or carry a spare router with you.......
Pabloz 6:58 PM - 28 April, 2015
Thanks for the replies.

Using the hard disk and iPad through a hub is the option I went for but it was an absolute disaster. Using the iPad and controller at the same time resulted in;

- Wave forms cutting out while playing (visual and audio)
- samples not playing or changing banks
- hot cues delayed or not working
- complete freeze and crashes.

Using wireless has a lag making it useless. At this stage this app is a great idea but useless. My advice to anyone with a similar question is just don't do it. I won't even try an add on controller after that experience. I didn't try this at a gig so no big deal.

I gave up my sx for an sb so I could use an external mixer to hook other devices into and a wireless mic that actually worked. The mic issue with the sx is appalling. I realise if you turn down the output of the wireless transmitter it cuts distortion but you lose a lot of volume too. I also have an iPad hooked into the desk as a back up. The SB allows more space and I can do everything with it I can on the SX. I also figured that as new controllers are realised I can upgrade and use new features for a few hundred dollars rather than trying to chase the latest and greatest controller for sometimes over 2K.

I'm working a lot but I really lose my enthusiasm for being creative when I delve into this stuff too much. I believe the iPad will soon have enough space to be used. This with a controller unlocks more options and I believe is the future. The waiting game never stops!
anthracite98 7:21 PM - 28 April, 2015
Can you get a HD with Firewire or Thunderbolt to free up the USB slot?
Pabloz 7:25 PM - 28 April, 2015
that had crossed my mind but thunderbolt drives are expensive. I don't know why I have 2 of those and only 2 USBs….
Serato, Support
Ian W 3:45 AM - 29 April, 2015
Hey Pabloz,

Would recommend raising a ticket at support.serato.com and one of the support guys can look into it for you a bit deeper and find out what the issue could be as the way you have it set up (i.e. Controller plugged in straight into the computer and HDD & other devices on a hub) is whats recommended.

Out of curiosity is your hub powered? If not then that might be the issue as we always recommend using powered hubs.

Regards,

Ian
DJ Baby Boy 12:16 PM - 16 May, 2015
I'm curious as to what your computer specs are because I have run two CDJ 2000's a webcam and serato remote through a hub (powered) with no issues ... I very very strongly advise that nobody ever use a USB external as I've seen way too many issues with them even on powered hubs ... If the price of a thunderbolt external is discouraging you I'd suggest buying the smallest capacity drive you can and swapping the internal drives so your current larger drive is in the new thunderbolt enclosure ... I highly recommend serato remote even over wifi as there is virtually no lag when using a personal router or adhoc (I've even had good results on clubs router) ... Also what software version are you running?
deejdave 6:26 PM - 16 May, 2015
Quick question. Pretty obvious but in skimming this I did NOT see the answer. The USB hub IS powered correct? If not use a powered one and things should be fine. I do understand not using Remote with Wi-Fi as it works well most of the time (key word MOST) but in a performance situation most does not cut it.

As stated above you should absolutely be keeping the interface (any device containing the Sound Card) for best results. The Remote (iPad or iPhone) as well as HDD should work fine along with any other devices you have with the Powered USB hub provided you stay within the means of the power consumption. The SB is one of the more demanding devices in this situation but it will be direct to the laptop. I agree with above suggestions on using a thunderbolt and possibly even moving your library to internal. Not my preference but there are some advantages to it.

To clarify I have used both an iPad and an iPhone at the same time with two CDJ-2000's, the DDJ-SP1, 900SRT and an external (USB) HDD at the same time with no issues. Not my normal setup as I usually use Thunderbolt and NOT all that other stuff at the same time LOL but the whole point was to test that exaggerated setup for quite a few hours just to make sure it all worked.................. and it did. The largest issue I had was the USB external was not as fast as I have become used to. NOT slow by any means but not as fast.