DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Mixer sold on me :(

Code:E 5:46 AM - 21 March, 2015
So my Res had a DJM2000 for the last 3-4 years (since they came out) and I came in tonight to find they sold it. I knew they wanted too. I was really the only one who ever used it. I scared more dj's than I can count. So I'm stuck using there beat up 800 tonight and holy fuck I forgot how bad this mixer was compared to the 2000. It's like learning everything all over again... I think I'm going to have to buy a DDJsz. I really liked having that space in the middle for my hands to really work the mixer. Anyway thats my rant for the night :(
Discobee 5:29 PM - 21 March, 2015
Why don't you just buy yourself a DJM2000?
Code:E 6:11 PM - 21 March, 2015
I was thinking of that. But if I buy my own and bring it in every night I play I wont be compensated for it's use. So I would rather the club owns the gear I own.
Mr. Goodkat 9:51 PM - 21 March, 2015
hated that 2000. might have been nice to mix straight house or techno though. did you ever really use all those eq features?
Code:E 11:52 PM - 21 March, 2015
Quote:
hated that 2000. might have been nice to mix straight house or techno though. did you ever really use all those eq features?

Actually I LOVED all of it features. Though I will be honest there where a few features I didnt use all the time. The big Effects unit on top I used all the time. The filters where/are better than the 800, and I LOVED the full turn on the filter, The 800/900's half turn bs sucks. I like being able to me that much smoother witht he full turn knob. And the touch screen in the center, I used the MIDI controls on it for ME and serato efx, along with the sampler. I liked the beat masher a lot but never used it enough, and nobody uses the eq/crossfader,
deejdave 3:18 AM - 22 March, 2015
Damn dude. I thought the 2000 was yours. Do you own CDJ-2000's or were those the clubs property as well? Sorry to hear this though. SZ is nice though.
Gio Alex 6:41 PM - 22 March, 2015
I don't even know you, but I know you really love that damn mixer lol. Sorry for your loss homie.

I'm sure it's an amazing mixer, but it's too much of a spaceship for me.
Code:E 6:54 PM - 22 March, 2015
Quote:
Do you own CDJ-2000's

Well both would be the correct answer. I own a pair. But the club also owns 4. So if there are out on repair or I'm playing out somewhere else I always have a pair.
Quote:
SZ is nice though.

I see one guy in town has one. he also bought the pioneer Turntables to go with it. I might want to ask him to let me borrow it for at home use for a day or 2.

Quote:
but it's too much of a spaceship for me.

I totally get that. Most DJ's would agree with you. I bet it more of a comfort thing, I was just soooooo used to it. My biggest pet peeve after 2 nights of using an 800 again is the filters. Dam I hate the knob thats 50/50. I also own a Xone92 and it has amazing filters (probably why i use them all the time in my mixing is because i got used the ones on the xone) And its filter knob is also a full turn rather than the 50/50.
WarpNote 7:07 PM - 22 March, 2015
Sorry for your loss Code:E.
How does the Serato software HPF/LPF filters add up in comparison, in your opinion?
Code:E 12:34 AM - 23 March, 2015
Quote:
Sorry for your loss Code:E.
How does the Serato software HPF/LPF filters add up in comparison, in your opinion?

I need to test. I remember back year ago switching from VDJ to SSL, the club I was at then had cdj 1000's and a 800. I remember going with the the mixer's over the software, but that may have been for ease of use more than anything. But I 'm going to look into Serato DJ's Filters. I plan to goto SDJ when 1.7.4 is out of beta. I will have to change the way I play a little when i change so I think a few nerd out nights rebuilding touch OSC templates and remapping all of my midi controllers is in order.
dj_soo 6:27 AM - 23 March, 2015
From a producer's standpoint, software filters rarely measure up to hardware ones, but I've never really liked the sound of pioneer filters. The Izotope Serato DJ filters sound much better than the ScratchLive filters tho...
Mr. Goodkat 9:31 AM - 23 March, 2015
def pioneers best filter though, the djm 2000.
WarpNote 12:41 AM - 24 March, 2015
Reason for asking, I find the software filters i SDJ quite nice.
And I actually prefer the SDJ software reverb over the DJM900 hardware reverb...
Mr. Goodkat 1:17 AM - 24 March, 2015
900s are too bright and harsh, they add so much gain really have to watch how i use them. the 800s filters were less harsh imo. unlike code i like em in the set in the middle with the low pass and hi pass on the same channel. i used to always forget that in the 2000
WarpNote 8:19 AM - 24 March, 2015
Personally, I prefer the combo filter types with both lpf & hpf and a 12 o'clock neutral. However, dedicated "one way" filters can be very nice too, like the ones on A&H. I never played on the djm2000. Also, the hardware filter on Rane 62/64/68 is really nice, especially when you turn down the resonance in setup. :-)
Discobee 8:22 AM - 25 March, 2015
You guys ever tried the Boost + Filter on the djm750? Now that is one effect I luv! The djm750 is supposed to be the lower entry of the djm mixers, but I absolutely luv mine. In fact I have both a black one and a silver one that I've modded the SL2 box into. Cannot live without the Boost + FX.
Watchwww.youtube.com
Mr. Goodkat 4:39 PM - 25 March, 2015
each channel of the 900 mixers has those plus 2 more, the 2000 had 6 efx similar as well.

never seen that vinyl effect though on the main efx knob.
WarpNote 6:57 PM - 25 March, 2015
So the boost is basically combining the color fx with an echo trail? All in one knob?
Discobee 7:23 PM - 25 March, 2015
^^That is a good way to describe it. And if you turn off the Boost button in the middle of the wet effect, it will make a sweeper-like sound that fades away. The best sound is the Filter+Boost though.
Code:E 10:08 PM - 25 March, 2015
Quote:
So the boost is basically combining the color fx with an echo trail? All in one knob?

Looks like it... And I like the way its sounds based on that video... I would like to find a way to re create it in Serato DJ.
WarpNote 10:59 AM - 26 March, 2015
Uhm yeah, very nice, espcially to have it on one control only. The way things could be chained in SSL, would probably be possible in there. But yep, need to have a look at this in SDJ. Actually think I saw something similar with a controller once? Might actually have been a pio controller, or could it have been something like the Numark NV?

Gonna have a mess around with my SP1/SX and the Akai AFX to see if i can figure it out. There's a lot of FX in those expansions that I haven't really had the time to explore :-)
WarpNote 11:06 AM - 26 March, 2015
Talking about fx, I do like the X-Pad on the DJM-900.
Discobee 6:33 PM - 26 March, 2015
Don't forget that the Boost+ColorFX can also be layered on top of the other regular effects too! The Boost and the Vinyl Brake effect are exclusive to the djm750.

The XPad is pretty neat...but I tend to like to keep sliding my finger back and forth on it too much haha.
WarpNote 5:22 PM - 27 March, 2015
Vinyl brake is also in SDJ if I remember correctly...
Discobee 6:22 AM - 29 March, 2015
I meant exclusive to the DJM line of mixers. I'm still using SSL.