DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Fader "dead" zone on TTM-56S, doesn't exist on TTM56

DJ Owns 8:58 PM - 19 March, 2015
Hey there,

I picked up a rane TTM56s and bumped my TTM56 down to usage on my second set of turntables. I was playing with the new TTM-56s and I notice there's a big dead area at the end of the fader where I get a few mm of nothing at all, while the older 56 has no such dead zone. It makes doing some scratch techniques a lot more difficult because even though the curve is sharp, I still have to move in and out of this deadzone.

Is there any way to configure and/or fix this issue on the mixer?
AKIEM 1:53 AM - 20 March, 2015
On the fader you can adjust the sensor by bending it slightly closer or further.
DJ Owns 6:39 AM - 20 March, 2015
Yeah, I did some further research. That was one of the two main solutions.

I wrote a full entry about it on my proiect site here:
www.shredjesse.com

The short version goes like this:

The fader has 1.87mm of dead space per side, or aproximately 8.3% of the entire fader. I measured it with a dial caliper, this is not a fictional number. See blog entry above for picture. Switching in the line faders yielded the same results, there is a giant dead space on this mixer supposedly definitively built for scratching. I am not the only problem with this, there is an issue with this mixer.

The bending the sensor fix failed me. The tabs surrounding the sensor prevented me from bending it adequately to get below 1.87mm of dead space. I had to trim the plastic back with a razor blade and bend the sensor to reduce the dead space notably. Pretty ridiculous to have to do on an $800 or so mixer renowned for being the premier scratch DJ mixer... and even then it's still not as good as the original 56. I don't want to risk bending it too much further as it may result in damage.

There is an alternative fix. I can take apart the fader (as I've already had to do) and add more padding to the end of the o-rings. IE: Fill in the dead space with material. I found an online video demonstrating this, but the person used o-rings from bic lighters.

I intend to investigate this solution, but using o-rings and/or other materials as acquired from my local hardware store.

If anyone from rane is reading this and has a legitimate excuse that doesn't involve doing something so jenky on an $800 industry leading mixer... I'm all ears. This has been a big let down. I thought I was UPGRADING!
DJ Owns 7:03 AM - 20 March, 2015
Just found a small additional o-ring to add onto the fader rails. Adding this and bending the sensors just a tab allowed me to achieve a 0.3mm cut in time.

Adding in a thicker diameter of o-ring works relatively good. It does mask the fact that 8% of the 45mm of fader travel is completely worthless... but I doubt I'll miss that 8%.

Still wildly underwhelmed to have to do this to such an expensive and supposedly industry leading mixer.