Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Vestax VFX-1

The Reverand 2:17 AM - 30 April, 2009
In case you haven't seen it:
www.dj.ru

Anyone from Vestax wanna confirm or deny this?
The Reverand 2:35 AM - 30 April, 2009
Reasons I think this picture may be real:
The reflections are REALLY good, too good. Especially around the Vestax logo.
It's a dust magnet just like the VCI-300 (Zoom in if you can't see the dust) and there is a finger print below the Vestax logo and to the left of the VFX-1 text.
The VCI-300 has black screws, this unit appears to have silver screws and are slightly farther away from plum than the VCI-300's.
There are two spots on the right edge od the plexi top that look a little scuffed and one of the top knobs has some minor imperfections suggesting that pieces of this unit may have been made on a desktop fab.

All that being what it is, the artist could just have an amazing eye for detail.
kraal 5:24 AM - 30 April, 2009
no that all proves it is fake... it is a doctored up version of a picture of the vci-300.... all that you say proof that it comes from a photo not a studio shoot.
if serato has not ever made the effects yet the unit would not be used so much :)
again people I make a good living faking photos.
TJ56 8:24 AM - 30 April, 2009
all i can say is this....
The Serato guys view all the threads on this forum so no doubt they have seen the pics and comments.
So having said that can one of you please come on and either confirm this as being real or throw it out as rubbish and put an end to all the speculation??
Thanks
jesuspend 1:59 PM - 30 April, 2009
well, from a marketing and sales standpoint, this effects controller could be for real. C'mon guys, why is it so difficult for the guys at vestax and serato to include effects into the program? well, you could argue that if added more stuff into the program it could make the program unstable etc etc... but it is really taking too long for them to not include effects, and i remember somewhere in this forum that the guys at serato are working on it. Ooops, i forgot to mention the "marketing and sales" standpoint thingy that i put on earlier. Well, if we have anticipated for effects to be used in Itch for so long, i am sure a lot of people wouldn't mind to spend some more money on this cool looking controller (well, you can call me a sucker, but i will definitely buy it), and what a good way to "prey" on us - the buyer. Itch is a pretty good digital controller software, but it is not complete because it doesn't have effects, so if this thing is for real, then it would really make itch "complete" (well, nearly). Apart from it, there is really no expandibility on using another effector to try to put separate effects onto each individual deck! So, it really leaves us with no option but to get this effects controller!
If Serato guys are looking at this, please enlighten us whether this effects controller is true. I would really appreciate that. By hook or by crook, you (serato and vestax) have got me, I WILL BUY THIS if you have it available. hahahhah
kraal 2:03 PM - 30 April, 2009
Quote:
well, from a marketing and sales standpoint, this effects controller could be for real. C'mon guys, why is it so difficult for the guys at vestax and serato to include effects into the program? well, you could argue that if added more stuff into the program it could make the program unstable etc etc... but it is really taking too long for them to not include effects,

the software and controllers are not even a year old that is not too soon for anything :)
honestly do you remember when itch was announced and the ns7 was announced we would of heard about the add ons too
TJ56 2:18 PM - 30 April, 2009
well imo this is real,
The reason i claim this is because serato/vestax have both had ample time to come on here to either confirm or rubbish rumours of this unit and have done neither, there silence speaks volumes.
jesuspend 2:21 PM - 30 April, 2009
Krall,
well, i only have a vague idea that the itch and vestax thing was announced somewhere in late 2007; even if it was announced in 2008, i am sure the in house R&D would have started way earlier than that, and how could they not think of effects?

TJ56,
I totally agree with you. Maybe we should give them a day or two to actually "See" this posting, hahaha, just giving them the benefit of the doubt, alright :) ?
TJ56 2:25 PM - 30 April, 2009
TJ56,
I totally agree with you. Maybe we should give them a day or two to actually "See" this posting, hahaha, just giving them the benefit of the doubt, alright :) ?

YEAH, you listening Vestax????? you have 2 days to come up with answers, dont make me come round there ;-D haha
jesuspend 2:26 PM - 30 April, 2009
oh another thing, i would think they will not response to it i.e. neither deny nor confirm without getting the permission from "the man" at Serato/vestax. How often do you see employee hacing enough guts to disclose what's in development publicly? they might loss their jobs hehehe
TJ56 2:31 PM - 30 April, 2009
Quote:
oh another thing, i would think they will not response to it i.e. neither deny nor confirm without getting the permission from "the man" at Serato/vestax. How often do you see employee hacing enough guts to disclose what's in development publicly? they might loss their jobs hehehe

yeeeaaaahhh
...... scaredy cats are yaaaa's????
how about any serato/vestax members that are planning on leaving ther job may want to let us in on secret b4 they go??? ;-)
TJ56 2:33 PM - 30 April, 2009
seriously tho, i bet there sitting back and laughing there bollox off at these posts.
kraal 2:44 PM - 30 April, 2009
Quote:
seriously tho, i bet there sitting back and laughing there bollox off at these posts.

thats what i was thinking
jesuspend 3:15 PM - 30 April, 2009
well, we all do like a bit of rumours isn' tit? hehe :)
sheeno 3:51 PM - 30 April, 2009
The whole point of Itch is to have 1 to 1 mapping from controller to sowftware. If serato were about to add effects to itch, then an "add on" controller such as the one in the pic above would be the only way to do it.

As long as it was reasonably priced, I'd buy it.
kraal 3:56 PM - 30 April, 2009
Quote:
If serato were about to add effects to itch, then an "add on" controller such as the one in the pic above would be the only way to do it.

i doubt that is the only way......
sheeno 4:08 PM - 30 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
If serato were about to add effects to itch, then an "add on" controller such as the one in the pic above would be the only way to do it.

i doubt that is the only way......

Its the only way to do it and keep the 1 to 1 controller mapping ethos.

From the serato website: "Itch features: Integrated "one to one" hardware to software mapping for instant control and minimum setup time."
kraal 4:50 PM - 30 April, 2009
i think you are reading that slightly wrong ... all that is saying is what is in itch is capable on the controller.... just like the nanoPAD has seperate scenes. but anyways unless it is cheap i wont be buying any add on... i have plenty of midi controllers already
James Roberts 8:13 PM - 10 May, 2009
i hope its true
pushafire 11:15 AM - 11 May, 2009
i written to vestax,,

and i got this answer..

Dear sir

Thank you very much for the interest on our products.

We would like to inform you that we are going to officially release
VFX-1 in the future.
We will ask our distributor in Germany "MUSIK MEYER" to contact with
you to provide you more details on it.

Thank you for all
Best regards
Take
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Take Tsuchiya <take-t@vestax.jp>
Vestax Corporation Sales Dept

so happy days
darcmarc 3:18 PM - 11 May, 2009
excellent pushafire!!! great news for sure!
Dj Kabrini Greens 9:45 PM - 11 May, 2009
this is going to kill my setup on the macbook.... 1 usb for itch one usb for hardrive.... cant plug in effects..... doh!
Kmxorbit 10:04 PM - 11 May, 2009
In my country there is a saying: "First see, then believe..."
The Reverand 7:08 PM - 13 May, 2009
Thanks pushafire!
djcerla 11:40 PM - 13 May, 2009
VFX-1 ----> convolute hoax for wannabe interface designers. Move on people, nothing to see here.
mrddyn 8:25 AM - 14 May, 2009
Quote:
In my country there is a saying: "First see, then believe..."

Dutchie?
Kmxorbit 1:19 PM - 14 May, 2009
you're close... ^^
chakktheripper 1:27 PM - 14 May, 2009
mrddyn 12:52 PM - 17 May, 2009
Ah Belgium then..
Kmxorbit 1:06 PM - 17 May, 2009
Who knows? ^^
mrddyn 6:45 PM - 17 May, 2009
Hah, you do obviously ;-)
DJ 2ni 9:58 AM - 2 July, 2009
Hi everybody

Is there any news about the VFX-1 for VCI300 ?

thanks
Dj_Whites 10:18 AM - 2 July, 2009
+1 for DJ 2ni. This VFX-1 is a.....SBAVVVVV
casket hands 11:14 AM - 2 July, 2009
cant come soon enough!
DJ Tenacious 4:22 PM - 4 July, 2009
Quote:
cant come soon enough!

DITO
casket hands 8:37 PM - 4 July, 2009
seems like a fall release is likely, I've notice a lot of hardware launches around then. fingers crossed
sheeno 3:27 PM - 9 July, 2009
I just made a trouser tent :-)

www.decks.co.uk

No RRP yet though :-(
nik39 11:02 PM - 13 July, 2009
www.skratchworx.com

Quote:
Available and shipping in September of this year.
nik39 11:04 PM - 13 July, 2009
Quote:
I just made a trouser tent :-)

www.decks.co.uk

No RRP yet though :-(

They state... £ 199.00... Thats like 300+ USD.
kraal 11:43 PM - 13 July, 2009
honestly who would pay 300.00 for that
dave412 12:50 AM - 14 July, 2009
im not familiar with those type of products but can't you get something close or better then that for $300?
Dj Beware 2:19 AM - 14 July, 2009
I am a little disappoint I guess I would have hoped they would have thrown in maybe six or seven buttons to trigger samples as well, wish full thinking I guess, I just means down the road when ITCH eventually gets sample triggering capabilities(assuming it will) I have to lug another piece of equipment......Oh well still a lot less to lug than 2 12's, records and a mixer.
casket hands 2:41 AM - 14 July, 2009
I would pay twice that for fx. I'll be first in line for this for sure!
kraal 3:02 AM - 14 July, 2009
Quote:
I would pay twice that for fx. I'll be first in line for this for sure!

efx should bee enabled through software not an extral controller..... so to pay twice that you are saying you would pay $1500 for a vextax combo to cover effects? that would be a waste of money.
I hope serato is paying attention to add the use of an extra controller it should be any midi controller of choice....cause there are many on the matket worth using
casket hands 3:23 AM - 14 July, 2009
welp, regardless of wishful thinking, its going to cost you, and you're either in or out, and I am definitely IN
kraal 3:33 AM - 14 July, 2009
whisful thinking says who? i mean i have seen lots of products that never sold listed on plenty of web stores. So untill it is on the shelf i look at it as a maybe.
I mean if you look at scratch live it also have the ability to be midi mapped to any midi controller
casket hands 3:38 AM - 14 July, 2009
for an optional add on that is dedicated to the rest of the hardware/software instead of a bootleg solution, I think the premium is justified.
J-Reign 4:10 AM - 14 July, 2009
I doubt that it will cost $300 in the states. Maybe more like $249.99. Some reason, Vestax stuff are more expensive in the Europe. Regardless, I'd pay $300 for it, maybe even a lot more. God knows I've spent how much hard-earned money for worthless junk.
casket hands 4:30 AM - 14 July, 2009
thats the spirit!
sheeno 7:55 AM - 14 July, 2009
They have a updated picture on www.decks.co.uk.

I'll deffo be pre-ordering this for £199.

They have added the following FX as well as a "time" knob - must be for beat matched FX.

HPF
LPF
DELAY
PHASER
FLANGER
BITCRUSHER
RING MOD
LOOP ROLL
SLICER
USER 1
USER 2
USER 3
sheeno 7:56 AM - 14 July, 2009
Sorry, the link is www.decks.co.uk
casket hands 8:17 AM - 14 July, 2009
gawwwd damn I want this now!
casket hands 8:20 AM - 14 July, 2009
first person to find a reputable US site taking preorders gets one shovel full of my eternal gratitude.
TJ56 8:20 AM - 14 July, 2009
IMO I think £199 is expensive, £100 seems a more realistic price, i know we all hounded vestax for effects to be added and its great that they listened but do you really think this is worth £199?
I paid £550 (if my mem serves me correctly) for my VCI-300 and for all of the neat things it does and controls to suggest an FX unit which will in effect only be changing the sound of the output will cost over a third of this is a bitter pill to swallow...
I'm sorry but it seems to me that Vestax listened to all the users of the VCI's asking for FX and then rubbed there hands together and thought CHING CHING.
Cut us some slack Vestax, were not made o money... not me anyway.
Tj
casket hands 8:22 AM - 14 July, 2009
considering I bought a miniKP for $125 I think double the price, and not to mention it looks VASTLY more functional, is reasonable.
TJ56 8:34 AM - 14 July, 2009
Quote:
considering I bought a miniKP for $125 I think double the price, and not to mention it looks VASTLY more functional, is reasonable.

sorry mate but i disagree with the GUESStimated price, however this is my opinion only and your entitled to yours
skratchworx 10:27 AM - 14 July, 2009
It's not so much the cost of the unit, but the ability to use effects with your controller. When you compare it to £449 for a Pioneer EFX or £298 for a Korg Kaoss Pad 3, the options that the VFX-1 gives you.

Look at it this way - do you feel that having effects in your set is worth £199? It's a tiny price to pay for the vastly increased creativity you get. When you're loop rolling and using filters, £199 will seem like a bargain.
TJ56 10:59 AM - 14 July, 2009
i feeled pissed mate that i shelled out a fair lump for the VCI and if i want FX i will have to shell out again,
Vestax..., as a good will gesture offer a discount to forum members, lets say 50% off...
kraal 1:48 PM - 14 July, 2009
still seems fake... for the simple fact that'loop roll'is added. or maybe that proves my point that this can be added with the software and no need to buy this specific controller..... cause honestlt prive asside that unit looks more cramped than my nanoKontrol
nik39 2:06 PM - 14 July, 2009
The idea of Itch is to offer an integrated solution. Why should Serato+H/W/vendors break this idea and now offer open Midi configuration?
skratchworx 2:31 PM - 14 July, 2009
TJ56 - you bought the VCI-300 knowing it didn't have effects. So why should you get a discount now that it does? Your VCI-300 still does exactly what it was sold to do. Effects however are an optional extra, therefore you have to pay. Just suck it up, shell out the cash and have fun!

Kraal - I've held one in my hands. It's real.

As nik39 says, ITCH is a closed loop. If you want ITCH specific features, you use ITCH specific hardware. It allows Serato extremely tight control over the products and ensures that things work really well.
kraal 2:33 PM - 14 July, 2009
Quote:

Kraal - I've held one in my hands. It's real.

good to know
TJ56 3:06 PM - 14 July, 2009
scratchworx
the 50% discount was meant as tongue in cheek mate, as for sucking it up, no, i dont see why i should tbh if i want to whinge mate i'll whinge.
yeah i have fun with the VCI but i'm pretty sure i do not stand alone when i say that we were kinda hoping that FX would be intergrated into the software somehow.
maybe this was impossible and a unit had to be developed? who knows?? Serato didnt say either way. but i suppose this new unit does answer the question that FX will cost ya.
TJ56 3:09 PM - 14 July, 2009
just thought i'd add that yeah i would like FX just didnt think the price would be talked as high as £200 for them.
nik39 3:25 PM - 14 July, 2009
Quote:
It's not so much the cost of the unit, but the ability to use effects with your controller. When you compare it to £449 for a Pioneer EFX or £298 for a Korg Kaoss Pad 3, the options that the VFX-1 gives you.

Look at it this way - do you feel that having effects in your set is worth £199? It's a tiny price to pay for the vastly increased creativity you get. When you're loop rolling and using filters, £199 will seem like a bargain.

I disagree here. The fact that the VFX seems to be an Itch-only device makes it less valuable compared to a device which can be used stand-alone. While I understand that there are costs involved when developing that stuff still £199 does not sound like a "bargain" to me. £199 for something which can only be used from within Itch? I don't know if I like this.
kraal 3:52 PM - 14 July, 2009
i agree with nik39 on this i will pay for a stand alone unit before i pay for that unit
skratchworx 3:59 PM - 14 July, 2009
I am surprised by the reaction to the alleged street price. The fact that it's ITCH only is largely irrelevant as the VCI-300 is ITCH specific to get the best from it. And for all we know, the VFX-1 may be a MIDI device too.

I look at it like this - If I'm going to commit £699 to a VCI controller for what is essentially 2 decks, a mixer and some cues and loops, and in the full knowledge that it doesn't yet do effects yet but probably will, then £199 seems like a total bargain to get that kind of functionality and creativity. You have after all bought into a closed system. It shouldn't come as a surprise that additional hardware may be closed too.

I guess I'll be able to comment more when I've used one.
nik39 4:01 PM - 14 July, 2009
Quote:
You have after all bought into a closed system. It shouldn't come as a surprise that additional hardware may be closed too.

That's the part I agree on. :)
kraal 4:06 PM - 14 July, 2009
not at all complaining about the add on... complaind about having to pay 350.00 or more USD for such an add on
nik39 4:08 PM - 14 July, 2009
I am not saying that it is way overprized or too too much, just saying that it does not sound like a bargain to me.
J-Reign 4:12 PM - 14 July, 2009
Of course standalone units will not effect individual channels.
skratchworx 4:14 PM - 14 July, 2009
Kraal - Vestax's pricing policy tells me that if it is £199 UK, then it'll be $199-249 in the US.
kraal 4:23 PM - 14 July, 2009
Quote:
Kraal - Vestax's pricing policy tells me that if it is £199 UK, then it'll be $199-249 in the US.

see 200.00 sounds better to me
Kmxorbit 4:24 PM - 14 July, 2009
What about the Numark FX controller add on?
What will that cost?

Because if they aren't interchangable -because of being closed systems- then people who do own both controllers are pretty much ripped off...
kraal 4:43 PM - 14 July, 2009
Quote:
then people who do own both controllers are pretty much ripped off...

well not really since you have to realize numark and vestax are 2 separate companies so you would expect to pay seperatly.
Kmxorbit 4:45 PM - 14 July, 2009
In order to control the software FX of the same software developper? You gotta be kidding...
kraal 4:49 PM - 14 July, 2009
honestly thats like saying buying the ns7 is a rip-off because it controls the same software as the vci-300.
skratchworx 5:22 PM - 14 July, 2009
As I said in the article, I have no idea if Numark have a FX controller in the works. It's an almost dead cert that they are, but without official info I can't really say.

But you're quite right - It'll be a bit of a pisser if one FX controller doesn't work on the other. But like I said previously, you've knowingly bought into a closed system so it really shouldn't be a surprise.
TJ56 5:25 PM - 14 July, 2009
Quote:

This totally baffles me, why cheaper in US than EU? What is this policy and why is it applied.
nik39 5:26 PM - 14 July, 2009
Quote:
But you're quite right - It'll be a bit of a pisser if one FX controller doesn't work on the other. But like I said previously, you've knowingly bought into a closed system so it really shouldn't be a surprise.

True.

I would not expect that you could use the one for the other. Ns7+VSI have different mappings and even support different set of functions.
skratchworx 5:54 PM - 14 July, 2009
TJ56 - bringing stuff into Europe, especially the UK, has additional shipping and warehousing charges - not to mention the extortionate customs payments.
seratosnatch 7:49 PM - 14 July, 2009
for me the VFX-1 looks dope. For all of you bitchin about having to buy more..you do not have too. The cool thing it is modular. If one needs fx, they buy and if not , then they just use a 300.

If ya buy a car and want extra features like AC or a high end stereo, it is optional and ya gotta buy. You don't have to though.

I love this FX idea!!
seratosnatch 7:50 PM - 14 July, 2009
who knows though maybe fx will be just midi cc and one can program with a midi controller, but I kind of think it will not be..
casket hands 8:54 PM - 14 July, 2009
For those owners of both the ns7 and the vci that feel like they are getting 'screwed', look at it this way, if you own a ps3 and an xbox, the games won't work on both and neither will the controllers. Think of this as buying rock band, sure it's expensive,but will it make you enjoy your console more? Yes? Then if you think it's worth it, buy it. I don't know about you guys but $300 doesn't seem like that much money.
kraal 9:06 PM - 14 July, 2009
just to add to this heated discussion as stated by serato
Does ITCH come with free updates like Scratch LIVE?
Serato will be providing free updates to the software that fix bugs and extend functionality.
key words extenfunctionallity at no point doees it mention you will need a new controller to use it tho.
nik39 9:10 PM - 14 July, 2009
And at no point does it explicitly mention that FX will be for free.

Analogy: Video SL is a plugin which you had to pay for (BTW, I think at a reasonable price). You could see FX as an additional plugin as well.
J-Reign 9:14 PM - 14 July, 2009
I'm sure numark is working on an effect unit as well and should be introduced before the VFX comes out. Plus why would you want something like a VFX that MATCHES the VCI-300, next to an NS7? It's like mating a chihuahua with a great dane!

Is ITCH really the same for both NS7 and the VCI-300 anyways? I saw a video that showed the NS7 having Fader-start.

I could imagine the VFX working like a dongle that activates an effects portion, like a 57sl. I just hope the VFX lets you daisy-chain the USB-B port.
kraal 9:37 PM - 14 July, 2009
dont take my post on here to personally :) cause i am just talking and speculating won't form any real opinion till it is available... besideds even when i used virtual dj i didn't use any effects :)
nik39 9:52 PM - 14 July, 2009
Quote:
I could imagine the VFX working like a dongle that activates an effects portion, like a 57sl.

Eh... the 57SL does not act as a dongle. The 57SL has effects *on board*.
TJ56 10:14 PM - 14 July, 2009
listen, some of us are not happy about the estimated price (me being one of them)and some are drooling at the mouth with a fist full of cash and already queuing up at there nearest stockist, i personally would like to hear from serato at whether or not FX could of been integrated into the software and controlled via the 300 or a combo of both pc/mac etc, if this is a definate no (due to the demand) building a seperate unit is totally justified, however if it could of been done...... well.... (feel free to insert comments here)
but i suppose im clutching at straws as serato would never reveal if it could and tarnish there relationship with Vestax
casket hands 10:27 PM - 14 July, 2009
Even if they could have doubled up and repurposed some buttons, i'd much rather have dedicated buttons so you aren't reaching for shift or doing delicate mouse clicking to choose your effect.
kraal 10:37 PM - 14 July, 2009
tj56 i agree with you and also feel that there is still time that i could be controlled via any midi device or keyboard...... so i think it is important for everyone to voice thier conserns and opinions .... only time will tell
nik39 10:42 PM - 14 July, 2009
Quote:
i'd much rather have dedicated buttons so you aren't reaching for shift or doing delicate mouse clicking to choose your effect.

+1
Deejay Dumb Bii 5:18 AM - 15 July, 2009
Comparing my design of a VFX effects unit (in an old post) vs. Vestax's....mine would be a fail, and Vestax wins for simplicity. I still want their efx unit to be a little bigger. Add some more up faders, and more assignable midi buttons/knobs then they should have everyone satisfied.
sheeno 7:42 AM - 15 July, 2009
Its unlikely that serato will allow you to control the FX via any other means than buying thier business partner's hardware, so I think you can put that one to bed.

On a personal level, I think as long as the FX are of good quaility and are implimented correctly (ie no clicks / pops when engaged) and dont eat up the processor, I think £199 is fairly reasonable.

I cant think of any other FX units you could buy for £199 which are multi channel, multi FX and customisable.
Kmxorbit 11:54 AM - 15 July, 2009
well, we'll see... ofcourse it's a good thing that FX are introduced.
I just hope we will not end up with a seperate controller for each seperate feature...

Because after all, it was the concept of itch to deliver a one-in-all DJ solution.
kraal 2:24 PM - 15 July, 2009
so we get a controller for effects. then one for samples then one for video .... i mean according to the logic in saying this controller is acceptable cause itch promises one on one intergration then these controllers are justified also
Cid K 2:29 PM - 15 July, 2009
Man that would suck balls to have 3 controlers for 3 different applications... Id like to see 1 controler fx for the sampler as well as for video, or at least one for fx and sampler on the smae controler.

Am wondering also how all this is gona work with the VCI-300, like how to plug it or where to plug it, USB maybe ?
DJ Luciano of The Beatills 2:29 PM - 15 July, 2009
Being an NS7 owner, I hope for an FX add-on module from Numark. I'm sure they're working on it. The CDX and Axis 9, etc all had effects built into the unit and a nice jog wheel to activate them. Not perfect, but a good start. And after seeing the time and care they put into the build quality of the NS7 I have faith in them creating an amazing add-on controller. Numark, if you're reading this, PLEASE add on 6 (or more) dedicated triggers for an ITCH internal sampler. The same lovely rubber buttons I use for cue point triggers would be ideal. Wrap it in the same brushed metal as the NS7 and make it relatively affordable and I'll be in line with a fistful of dollars like my name was Clint Eastwood.

--DJ Luciano of The Beatills
TJ56 2:36 PM - 15 July, 2009
Quote:
Man that would suck balls to have 3 controlers for 3 different applications...

This is how they get money out of us mate and speaking of balls this is where Vestax have a firm hold of us by.

Quote:
Am wondering also how all this is gona work with the VCI-300, like how to plug it or where to plug it, USB maybe ?

i also pondered over this
kraal 2:48 PM - 15 July, 2009
the other issue is see with this are new users. I mean if you add up the price of both a vci-300 plus dedicated efx controller.... or the ns7 plus dedicated efx controller. the you look at a sound card plus controller plus traktor or mixvibes you would probably not put itch up front
kraal 3:32 PM - 15 July, 2009
i noticed NUMARK has chimed in with a big 'if' VESTAX has yet to chime in on this subject. so seems to be more speculation added to this mystery
Kmxorbit 3:32 PM - 15 July, 2009
Quote:
the other issue is see with this are new users. I mean if you add up the price of both a vci-300 plus dedicated efx controller.... or the ns7 plus dedicated efx controller. the you look at a sound card plus controller plus traktor or mixvibes you would probably not put itch up front

I fear that also...
Cid K 3:39 PM - 15 July, 2009
Seems like that VFX1 will work with USB, so that means you will have to use both USB ports on the laptop... DAMN
kraal 3:53 PM - 15 July, 2009
or it could daisy chain so you plug the vci-300 into it then that into your computer
Cid K 3:57 PM - 15 July, 2009
That would be sick, just hope Vestax are bright enoght to think about that...
Kmxorbit 4:48 PM - 15 July, 2009
Yeah, would be neat, but I believe it will be difficult because currently the VCI already draws almost all energy out of a USB port.
Cid K 4:50 PM - 15 July, 2009
yeah thats what am thinking too.
kraal 5:33 PM - 15 July, 2009
Quote:
Yeah, would be neat, but I believe it will be difficult because currently the VCI already draws almost all energy out of a USB port.

but not with the power adaptor :)
Cid K 5:38 PM - 15 July, 2009
TRUE, honestly, i tried searching for that Power Adaptor, couldnt find any info's anywhere. I dont think Vestax is selling those devices.
kraal 5:39 PM - 15 July, 2009
vestax isnt but radio shack is
Cid K 5:43 PM - 15 July, 2009
Interesting, do you what model or wiche type i should get ?
kraal 5:47 PM - 15 July, 2009
radio shack ac adaptor cat no273-1768
Cid K 5:49 PM - 15 July, 2009
Thanks will look for that, just to be on the safe side.
J-Reign 6:35 PM - 15 July, 2009
I use this: www.americanmusical.com
Works great and got it at a local Sam Ash.
casket hands 12:21 AM - 16 July, 2009
a post from the scratchworx comments section apparently (taken with a grain of salt) from a vestax source.

"You will be pleased to hear this is the only currently available Effects unit for Serato Itch and will work with the Vestax VCI300 as well as any other Serato Itch controller, either present future."
DJ Luciano of The Beatills 4:51 AM - 16 July, 2009
I hope they mean "currently available" and not "currently in development". I think a nice Numark FX module would be great. I loved having the echo and flange on my old CDX's. Bandpass was nice too. It looks like the VFX-1 has a lot of effects going on. I'm sure Numark will one up Vestax like they did with the NS7. (Fingers crossed) And come on Serato!!! Give Numark a Sampler they can map to!

--DJ Luciano of The Beatills
Dj Ace 5:39 AM - 4 August, 2009
i would love to see rane itch controller...sigh
FutureMedia 8:16 PM - 18 August, 2009
Beginner DJ Macintosh expert with new VCI-300. Planning on buying VFX-1 when it ships. Also looking for NI Traktor Pro MIDI map for VCI-300. Anyone know where?
kraal 8:20 PM - 18 August, 2009
try djtechtools for the traktor midi map
FutureMedia 8:25 PM - 18 August, 2009
I did look there but it doesn't seem to be finished as far as I can tell. It's a work in progress by the discussion members there.
Tha Bumble 8:07 AM - 19 August, 2009
How is it going to connect to the VCI?
James Roberts 8:17 AM - 19 August, 2009
I think its going to be usb...

Be good if you could piggy back them.
FutureMedia 8:21 AM - 19 August, 2009
Hopefully they daisy chain from the VFX-1 to the VCI-300 then on to the computer.
o.c. 7:28 PM - 21 August, 2009
VFX-1 not for me. vci300 was expensive enough. should rather be more pleased with a soft solution. meanwhile ill be running traktor on my vci300.
FutureMedia 7:39 PM - 21 August, 2009
Quote:
VFX-1 not for me. vci300 was expensive enough. should rather be more pleased with a soft solution. meanwhile ill be running traktor on my vci300.
How you gonna do that? You got a map from someone? So far I haven't been able to find one myself. Would like to know where you got one if that's the case. Thanks.
James Roberts 7:42 PM - 21 August, 2009
I don't know why you'd want to.

Check out djtechtools.com
FutureMedia 7:45 PM - 21 August, 2009
They're not done with their map for the VCI-300 and won't promise a completion date.
djcerla 3:27 AM - 22 August, 2009
Amazing how people would trade optimization, speed and stability for a bunch of FX.
Cid K 3:58 AM - 22 August, 2009
LOLOLOL hehehehehehe :-D
o.c. 8:50 AM - 22 August, 2009
speed, stability, optimization? can you reconfigure itch to your own needs? if I only need this i can just stick to my turntables and pair of CDJ-1000 MK3. itch crashed in total two times during a gig with me and has sometimes problems to read my tracks (yes i have used support but problem could not be found). i had to rely again back on my dear tuntables. please dont always use this as a selling point. why is it amasing? diferent djs have diferent needs. the more djs you can service the more you will sell your products. for my digital needs the vci300 is just great, only the soft is not yet there for me. i just need more functions for my kind of music. scratching i do not need for this type of music but more idd effects, loops on the fly who are immediatly synch, 4 tracks in a go... are playing a big role for me as a dj, just te be more creative, and my crowed loves it. and i simply dont want to buy even more hardware to do this job. i have already so much hardware... itch is a great product for basic turntable feels, and does a great job in scratching, but just does not suits everybody. and i love my vci300. i like it more then the vci100. Traktor did not yet crash once with me. its a product who is there for a while and i can tell you for me it is reliable.

if you look on djtechtools.com you will find a mapping whos almost doing the job. i have adapted this one a bid for my needs and is stable. soon there will be one of djtechtools as well and this one sounds pretty great. patience...
djcerla 9:49 AM - 22 August, 2009
So you need perfect sync (beatgrid), 4 decks, FX.

Yes, the VCI-300 was definitely the most logical choice on the market.
o.c. 11:09 AM - 22 August, 2009
i love the controler hardware of vestax (at least it doenst feel like a toy, good build quality, nice jogs, strong reputation, good choice if your are used to vinyl...), i dont think there is much better on the market. at least not for me. so this was logical for me. so for controler hardware im staying with vestax. i had the vci100 with traktor but found the vci100 less handy then the vci300 and wanted to have an integrated sound card. so bought the vci300 with itch. but coming from vci100 with traktor left me with a feeling that itch was not offering everything i needed. so i had to stick with the vci100 with traktor to have all functions i needed but was still stuck with external soundcard and some things of the vci100 that i did not like or moving to the vci300 which i personally consider as a better version of the vci100 but with lack of traktor functionality. not an easy choice for me. so i decided to keep the vci300 (i used already other controlers but nothing could convince me yet to change) with hopes that itch will have more functionality in the future (without extra hardware) or when a good mapping for traktor use comes along.

4 deks is not really necessary. i can still use two deks in combination with cdjs or my turntables. perfect beat sync would be nice for mixing on the fly loops. dont need this for basic mixing. fx idd. for my style of music effects is still doing a great job. in this forum i see that some people think its so overated...well tell that to my crowd. for electronic music like progressive, house, trance, techno... people can go wild when using the right effects at the right time. for this style of music its higher rated then scratching.

anyway at this point i dont know if i made the right choice. if itch is adding some features (without extra hardware) or a perfect mapping for traktor is coming alone i made the right choice.
if not, idd i will have to change.
casket hands 11:37 AM - 22 August, 2009
wow, that is hard to read.

I wouldnt hold your breath for many new features besides FX at this point. the FX will likely require that you buy the VFX-1, I doubt we will see a software solution. traktor mapping is likely your best bet if you really cant live without what traktor offers.
o.c. 11:53 AM - 22 August, 2009
sorry, i know the post is way too long, wont happen again, and english is not really my native language :) ok, i will just give it some more time. if anybody thinks to have another market solution feel free to pm me.
FutureMedia 12:13 PM - 22 August, 2009
No. It was not too long and post all market solutions here please. No apology needed. That was very well written. I could tell English is not your first language yet you were elequent. Please don't think long posts are a bad thong. Too few post here as it is. I wish a lot more would post here.

A month from now we should know what's going on. We've got Itch 2.0, VFX-1 and either Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or Wondoze 7 all coming at us in the next 30-60 days at the most.
FutureMedia 12:14 PM - 22 August, 2009
o.c. What OS and computer make model and specs are you using?
o.c. 12:39 PM - 22 August, 2009
FutureMedia, Im using a clean install Windows XP SP3 on a seperate partition only foer Itch or Traktor use (with no other soft like anivirus, firewall...)

Toshiba Satellite P300-1GC
Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo processor T9550, Intel PM45 Express chipset. 2.66 GHz | front side bus : 1066 MHz | 2nd niveau cache : 6 MB
800GB Harddrive
4,096 (2,048 + 2,048) MB DDR2 RAM (800 MHz)
o.c. 1:15 PM - 22 August, 2009
ive updated my profile. so if more info needed....like what kind of material im using you may check my profile.
kraal 4:32 PM - 22 August, 2009
Quote:

anyway at this point i dont know if i made the right choice.

if you cannot use ITCH as it currently is then you currently did NOT make the right choice
FutureMedia 5:13 PM - 22 August, 2009
It's a very weird time right now on the verge of a whole new hardware-software paradigm.
Hoothoot 5:15 PM - 22 August, 2009
o.c. seems like you need a Allen & Heath Xone 4d....but dont we all
kraal 5:16 PM - 22 August, 2009
Quote:
It's a very weird time right now on the verge of a whole new hardware-software paradigm.

i agree and for that i suggest anyone not owning the units may want to wait if 'the lack of features' is an issue. because you may just not like the features being added.(that is the one reason i say a preview of atleast the ready to ship features be shown)
o.c. 5:17 PM - 22 August, 2009
kraal of course i can use itch as it is. its just not enough. thats my problem. and by choosing a vestax controler im sure i have choosen for quality and relyability. if you know a better all in one setup that suits me that is equal to the quality of a vestax controler... please let me know.
kraal 5:19 PM - 22 August, 2009
Quote:
\ if you know a better all in one setup that suits me that is equal to the quality of a vestax controler... please let me know.

i own the VCI-300 myself so sorry but as you can see my search has lead me down the exact same road you went
o.c. 5:24 PM - 22 August, 2009
Quote:
o.c. seems like you need a Allen & Heath Xone 4d....but dont we all

thks ill take a look at it. i own now a xone 92, great machine too. great build.
o.c. 5:30 PM - 22 August, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
\ if you know a better all in one setup that suits me that is equal to the quality of a vestax controler... please let me know.

i own the VCI-300 myself so sorry but as you can see my search has lead me down the exact same road you went
i see, well the vci300 is a great controller, when i first saw it i was sold... at that moment didnt think that using itch iso traktor was such an issue for me.
FutureMedia 5:37 PM - 22 August, 2009
As a novice, I was steered to the VCI-300 by an specialist in the B&H Store in Manhatten when I was there at the end of May on holiday. He made me feel like it was the best way to go right now. I don't regret getting it. Just puzzled by the unknown Serato Itch 2.0 and the Vestax flip from Native Instruments' (NI) Traktor with the VCI-100 - which I did not know existed until after I bought the 300 - and now its alliance with Serato for the 300 and the VFX-1. I mean I wonder what made them change software alliances for the 300 controller and the upcoming effects controller? Makes the scene look a little conflicted and disloyal. Who do you trust?

I asked NI tech support about a VCI-300 Map for Traktor and they said no way Jose. So what the hay? It appears DJTechTools is making more money continuing to support the VCI-100 than they are interested in getting a VCI-300 Traktor map done.

Should we buy a VCI-100 + a WHAT MAKE MODEL sound card + the Traktor Pro upgrade to be covered? Could the output of the VCI-100 input to the VCI-300 use the VCI-300's internal sound card? This seems like it's not the time to pull the trigger on any of the above as Itch 2.0 + VFX-1 will change the landscape completely. Frustrating times we're in.
o.c. 6:19 PM - 22 August, 2009
think i found a solution for me. if itch 2.0 does not add features and really needs you to buy as well the vhfx-1 to make effects to work or no decent traktor mapping is coming out ill sell my vci300 (with pain in my heart) and my xone 92 to replace this by the xone 4d with traktor. less gear and all what i need. Allen & Heath has idd very good material and has a good reputation. the only thing im not going to like are the smaler jogs then the vci300 and is less portal if you dont need all your gear... but i can live with that. Thanks for the advice Hoothoot.
o.c. 7:03 PM - 22 August, 2009
Quote:
I mean I wonder what made them change software alliances for the 300 controller and the upcoming effects controller? Makes the scene look a little consflicted and disloyal. Who do you trust?

They changed from Traktor support to Serato just for a marketing/selling point of view. When you use a limited product it will create a frustrated need for more. Now they can sell their own additional hardware to cash in more money. If Traktor would work on the VCI300, no need for extra hardware. Im sure many people will buy the vhfx-1 because they have been screeming for effects because they love their vci300. Its a company. They need to make money...but i dont really like this way of working. Too many questions of where itch is going to.

It appears DJTechTools is making more money continuing to support the VCI-100 than they are interested in getting a VCI-300 Traktor map done.

True but they are now officially busy with it, They even have a VCI300 to test. The number of people that are getting frustrated is growing. They simply cant neglect this group. Hell i would even pay for a fully working traktor mapping.
FutureMedia 7:04 PM - 22 August, 2009
Who makes the "xone 4d" please? What is it and please provide a Link?

Also FYI for the Macintosh users only, I just discovered over at the Vestax website movies page ci.vestax.com a software solution that supports BOTH the VCI-100 and the VCM-100 MIDI Controllers from Germany called "djay" - includes a lot of effects options we don't have with Itch - for only $50 at djay-software.com

Looks like a second Mac - I have both MacBook & MacBook Pro - could be the AUX source into the VCI-300 for this software option to be added to a VCI-300 - Itch setup to do effects occasionally or mainly on the side. No offense to Serato but what the hey!
o.c. 7:27 PM - 22 August, 2009
Quote:
Who makes the "xone 4d" please? What is it and please provide a Link?

www.xone.co.uk

But a very expensive solution if you are only going to use it as midi controler. If i sell the vci300 and my normal mixer (Allen & Heath xone 92), i could replace these two by only using the xone 4D. Then i feel the price is right for an Allen & Heath. Im using Allen & Heath for a while. Top and pro material.
FutureMedia 7:30 PM - 22 August, 2009
From the djay tech support discussion section forum.djay-software.com

"The VCI-300 only integrates with Serato Itch, as it uses a private protocol (not MIDI compatible).

So to use with djay you'd have to go with the VCI-100 or the VCM-100. "

NOT MIDI COMPATIBLE ! ! ! What the hey ! ? ? ? ! ! ! I am now officially flabbergasted.
kraal 7:53 PM - 22 August, 2009
you have to realize that the point of the vci-300 was it's combination with itch... so all this complaining that it doesnt work with other software is kinda mute
FutureMedia 7:59 PM - 22 August, 2009
Quote:
www.xone.co.uk

But a very expensive solution if you are only going to use it as midi controler. If i sell the vci300 and my normal mixer (Allen & Heath xone 92), i could replace these two by only using the xone 4D. Then i feel the price is right for an Allen & Heath. Im using Allen & Heath for a while. Top and pro material.
That looks like a lot of power. How much money is it and are the sound cards inside it?
o.c. 8:17 PM - 22 August, 2009
ready... 1900eur here in Belgium. The sound card is idd inside. Dont forget it acts also as a normal mixer. So you can also just plug in your turntables or/and cd players plus others... and you have many features. In Belgium the vci300 cost 700eur plus the additional price for the vhfx-1 850eur maybe? rest 1050eur but for that price you have a great mixer and an all in one solution. my normal mixer xone 92 was already 1100eur. If i would have bought xone 4d from the start it was 50eur cheaper then buying the xone 92 and the vci300 plus effects. damm :) anyway i did not know the 4d was out.
FutureMedia 8:18 PM - 22 August, 2009
$2800 US Dollars. Never mind.
FutureMedia 8:21 PM - 22 August, 2009
Plus Traktor Pro
o.c. 8:21 PM - 22 August, 2009
:)
o.c. 8:29 PM - 22 August, 2009
Idd plus traktor pro. But I think here are a few places where you can buy packages with traktor pro for around the same price. I have already Traktor Pro so wont need to purchase that anymore. When you are using Allen & Heath you are really using top material. If you just need a controler and you dont need it for heavy duty the price is indeed not justified.
Serato
Pene 10:31 PM - 23 August, 2009
Quote:
From the djay tech support discussion section forum.djay-software.com

"The VCI-300 only integrates with Serato Itch, as it uses a private protocol (not MIDI compatible).

So to use with djay you'd have to go with the VCI-100 or the VCM-100. "

NOT MIDI COMPATIBLE ! ! ! What the hey ! ? ? ? ! ! ! I am now officially flabbergasted.

um.... the VCI-300 is definitely MIDI compatible :)
FutureMedia 1:05 AM - 24 August, 2009
Plus one can't register to get in on their discussion and support section. I've been playing with Traktor Pro Demo today and I love the effects. But the Serato Itch layout is much better as you can see a lot more of the waveforms in Itch - one on top of the other all the way across the screen - than you can in Traktor squished next to one another. Here's hoping Itch 2.0 + a VFX-1 will match Traktor's effects capabilities.
FutureMedia 12:41 AM - 25 August, 2009
Apple officially announced this morning that OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard ships this Friday. Will Serato PR or engineers here have anything to announce or tell us on this board Friday once it has started being installed on Macs?
Cid K 12:42 AM - 25 August, 2009
Well am already running Snow Leopard and up to now, SSL 3 and Itch with VCI-300 works perfectly. No hickups no sound dropouts.
FutureMedia 12:43 AM - 25 August, 2009
What is SSL 3 ?
Cid K 12:43 AM - 25 August, 2009
The new Serato box.
FutureMedia 12:44 AM - 25 August, 2009
Link? I am clueless. Why do you need a SSL Serato box? What's it for?
djfrancov 12:46 AM - 25 August, 2009
really?
Cid K 12:46 AM - 25 August, 2009
You dont need SL3 to run itch, am just saying, i have tested both.

www.serato.com
djfrancov 12:46 AM - 25 August, 2009
if you dont know what a serato box is ...you dnt need to be a dj...lol
FutureMedia 12:58 AM - 25 August, 2009
I'm only using files on hard drives no CDs nor turntables. That's why I didn't know. But I am a beginner too.

I'm thinking of getting the VCI-100 with Traktor LE + Upgrade to Traktor Pro and plug that into the AUX of the VCI-300. But I'm going to wait for the VFX-1 and Itch 2.0 to ship first.

Thanks for the Snow Leopard operation report Cid K. Really appreciate it. My copy will be delivered Friday.
kraal 1:01 AM - 25 August, 2009
Quote:
I'm only using files on hard drives no CDs nor turntables. That's why I didn't know. But I am a beginner too.

I'm thinking of getting the VCI-100 with Traktor LE +

no worrys about being a beginner i have been djing for years and never touched a serato box :)
but i would wait for the vfx-1 and see if it does what you want before paying for anymore software
Cid K 1:04 AM - 25 August, 2009
Yup id do the same too if i were you.

No problem for the report lil bro. We all need to start somewhere !

Peace
FutureMedia 2:00 PM - 28 August, 2009
So now that we have Snow Leopard released will a Serato engineer please comment on 1.1 and 2.0 Itch compatibility and feature enhancements Snow Leopard may help provide?
kraal 2:02 PM - 28 August, 2009
i am sure more testing needs to be done... when they are done testing i am sure a public announcement will be made
Cid K 2:13 PM - 28 August, 2009
Am pretty sure to take full advantage of the new Snow Leopard OS there will be alot of changes to be made insode the software. For instance, better usage for Multi Core and Multi Ram, better manegement, maybe based on 64bit and that new Grand Central and open CL feature (those are for Mac not sure if windows have any of those.)

Let me know what you guys think, or maybe we can bring this into a new thread...

Cheers
FutureMedia 2:50 PM - 28 August, 2009
Could everyone remember that Serato engineers have had access to development copies of and tools to develop for Snow Leopard for more than ONE YEAR? It's not like they are looking at Snow Leopard for the first time and thinking "now what should we do?" I find the level of ignorance about software development here to be astonishing.

Serato probably - and according to Cid K, a Mac expert, in an above post did - accomplish Itch 1.1 Snow Leopard compatibility. The question is did they develop Itch 2.0 specifically FOR Snow Leopard to take advantage of the items Cid K listed above. Testing has been done for months.
Cid K 3:00 PM - 28 August, 2009
I totaly agree with what FutureMedia is saying... The Snow Leopard was available to all the Apple Dev members from the day Snow Leopard was announced so that software compagnies can start testing new ways to create new version of their apps with the upcomming release of that said OS. Maybe not specificaly to add features but at least to stay on top of the game and make it the most reliable and stable as it can. Plus new builds were getting released every few weeks/months.

I work for a game company and it's pretty much the same as for developing softwares, the dev teams is always abit up front. For exemple, i got a few users already testing version 2011 of a game design tool, when most of the production didnt even start to use the 2010 version. Ok so maybe Serato isnt as big as Ubisoft... True, but it is the same process for everybody or every company.
Cid K 3:05 PM - 28 August, 2009
Am thinking that we really should start a new thread about this, cause now all those last post doesnt have anything in common with the VFX-1.

Maybe a Moderator can take those last poste and create a new thread.

Cheers.
FutureMedia 3:11 PM - 28 August, 2009
There's a new OS 10.6 thread "OSX 10.6 SNOW LEOPARD AND ITCH: REAL WORLD TEST"
started by djcerla here:
www.serato.com
Cid K 3:13 PM - 28 August, 2009
Fantastic now let's give this thread a lil break and start posting on the new one.