DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Thunderbolt?

D Jay Cee 4:31 AM - 22 February, 2015
Anyone find any DJ related uses for Thunderbolt connectors? I am upgrading yo a MBP soon and hate that there are only two 3.0usb connectors
D Jay Cee 7:10 AM - 22 February, 2015
I see there is a Kanex Thunderbolt to USB 3.0 adapter...I guess I can use this instead.
dj_soo 6:17 AM - 23 February, 2015
you can get thunderboldt external drives as well as thuderbolt USB hubs.
D Jay Cee 10:46 AM - 23 February, 2015
Next question.... how easy is it to transfer data from a windows external drive to one formatted for Mac
dj_soo 1:21 PM - 23 February, 2015
super easy. iirc, you can plug in a PC-based harddrive into a mac and copy files from the harddrive (not the other way tho). If you want files from a mac-formatted HD to a PC, you need to buy a program to read the drive.
Code:E 10:53 PM - 27 February, 2015
I use a thunderbolt HD nd LOVE it. I will never go to anything else. Its so fast. I also plan on buying on of those thunderbolt docking stations. There are tons out there. Belkin seems to be the most well known one.
Code:E 10:55 PM - 27 February, 2015
eshop.macsales.com

just look on there it will get you started
DJMark 10:57 PM - 27 February, 2015
My uses for Thunderbolt:

Thunderbolt enclosure with a Samsung 1TB 850pro SSD (when DJ-ing)

Thunderbolt video output (when DJ-ing videos)

Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter (when home, faster/more reliable than wifi)

Thunderbolt-to-Firewire adapter (still have a couple older Firewire 800 drives)
The Return of Dj Sparky 2:18 AM - 28 February, 2015
I never realised apple removed the ethernet port, what are they playing at,
first the line in now that, whats next ro be cut apple? probably usb to force people to buy thunderbolt equivalent devices
DJMark 2:42 AM - 28 February, 2015
LOL.
dj_soo 6:03 AM - 28 February, 2015
Quote:
eshop.macsales.com

just look on there it will get you started

Man I wish SSD weren't still so expensive.
Laz219 2:11 PM - 28 February, 2015
They really aren't if you get them from the right source.

I was looking at (cost price- i work in a computer store that sells mac)
They charge $190AUD to move from 120-240, where I can buy a 256SSD for $97 (of the same make/model they use)
dj_soo 5:02 AM - 1 March, 2015
I would need at least 500 gigs - seem to go up exponentially the higher the capacity.

Or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places here in canada
D Jay Cee 10:34 AM - 1 March, 2015
Quote:
I would need at least 500 gigs - seem to go up exponentially the higher the capacity.

Or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places here in canada

This is true... I have 320GB of songs....wait till I go video!
D Jay Cee 4:22 AM - 6 March, 2015
next question...I DJ at a large club that has some outdated equipment.
in one location (Party room) there is a DVI connection that goes to a projector....
another location (larger party room) that has VGA and RCA
lastly the dance club has, wait for it, only RCA or BNC!
I am looking around and I see nothing direct to go from thunderbolt to RCA...only to DVI and on another forum even that does not always work right away....some displays are not compatible for some reason.
I am trying to get the club to pony up the dough to upgrade...but this is a military club on the base over here in Japan....they are broke supposedly.
Rebelguy 4:42 AM - 6 March, 2015
Can you use this for the RCA conversions?

www.amazon.com
D Jay Cee 5:11 AM - 6 March, 2015
I don't trust shady Chinese companies...but thanks though.
Code:E 5:23 AM - 6 March, 2015
dont use rca, if they want you to ook up to rca they need to have house scaler box. it should cost 400 for one
Rebelguy 7:30 AM - 6 March, 2015
Here'a another option that you can order directly from Amazon.

www.amazon.com
DJCarlos. 7:21 PM - 10 November, 2015
Hi all, I am interested in this conversation and would like to have your advice.
I am moving from pc to mac and also worry about the few usb ports available.

What's is best in performances and usability stability....

On pc I am using serato dj and serato video.
1 sl3 on usb (or ddjsr, or Pioneer nexus 900), 1 2to external usb 3, 1 korg controller usb
To output video I use hdmi or vga (it depends on the venue).
I also have a cooling pad, as it gets really really hot in the club plus the video etc normally I use a usb

What you recommend for mac ?
Using the two usb 3 ports for the sl3 (etc) and for the korg controller
And thunderbolt the hard drive on one of them ?
Thundebolt the cooling pad ?
Thunderbolt for the vga via an adaptor ? (Or buy and hdmi vga adaptor)
Hdmi for the hdmi

Or another setting ?
Thanks a lot
Code:E 10:40 PM - 10 November, 2015
Ok lets back up Carlos.

All macs that you ill end up buying have 2 USB ports and 2 thunderbolt.

No current model has any cooling issues, so I would plan on ditching the cooling pad altogether (but I will give you an option for that in a min)

ALWAYS plug you sound card device (SL box, sound card enabled mixer, all in one controller) directly into your computer. NEVER use a hub for them.

So that leaved you 1 more USB port for everything else. Get a good POWERED (vitally, important) USB hub. I use a USB 2.0 hub, But USB 3.0 will also work. Plug everything else into that. I have a 10 port hub and have run 2 Akai MIDI controller (MPD32 & APC) plus 3 CDJ 2000's in HID mode. plus I have plugged a couple of USB thumb drives in also with MP3's (not video's) and had no issues. I personally hated hubs, but when I changed to mac I had no choice and I have run a hub with tons like that and no issues. If you really want a cooling pad. Run it off of you USB hub. Or cut the USB port off and get a 5 volt DC adapter and plug it into the wall/powerbar.

As for you music. Thunderbolt for sure! I love and and swear by the Lacie Rugged thunderbolt drives.

Now any modern mac will have HDMI out, Use that for HDMI, as for VGA yes get thunderbolt (mini displayport) to VGA adapter. By 2 of them and keep them both on you. Even the apple brand ones fail all the time, none seem to be better than others, so keep a spare at all times just in case.

Another very good option (but no cheap) and way to ditch the USB hub, eshop.macsales.com
I'm thinking of getting one for myself. I haven't seen anyone in person use one of these hubs yet, but I have read good things. So it might be worth looking into. Only downside is the massive power supply that dock needs.
DJCarlos. 11:53 AM - 11 November, 2015
Thanks again for all the info and advice.

2 extra questions

For the thunderbolt drive, I already have an external hard drive, so I will see if I can buy just the case for it, because for the videos I have a 2t, and buy a new everything it may be expensive

For the hub, why it has to be powered ? :-)
I am trying to limit the cables and stuff to plug for a quick install

For the rest, thanks again for the reply and time taken.
DJ Baby Boy 2:18 PM - 11 November, 2015
Quote:

Another very good option (but no cheap) and way to ditch the USB hub, eshop.macsales.com
I'm thinking of getting one for myself. I haven't seen anyone in person use one of these hubs yet, but I have read good things. So it might be worth looking into. Only downside is the massive power supply that dock needs.

Code E I can vouch for these ... I picked one up and it is AMAZING right now that is the only thing I plug directly into my laptop when spinning I'm able to run a Rane 62, 2x CDJ 2000's in HID, 2x Reloop Neons, iPad (Sonic Logic Midi over USB), 4TB WD MyPassport Pro & HDMI out to club system with absolutely zero issues at all ... Sometimes the 2x CDJs and neons will be substituted for Dicers & two USB cams when using turntables ... The power supply isn't that bad at all but I'm also used to carrying around either a G-Drive or G-Raid and having to power those as well (not the case since I've gotten this hub and started gigging with the WD though)

Quote:
Here'a another option that you can order directly from Amazon.

www.amazon.com

I would strongly advise against this ... I ordered one as I thought it'd be a good backup and I won't even use it as that as the resolution that it outputs is larger in surface area than the TV/s that it's actually going to and it happens on every single one ... Check this out from Joshua Carl & DJ Eloy it's a little old now but still good information in there Watchvimeo.com

Quote:
Thanks again for all the info and advice.

2 extra questions

For the thunderbolt drive, I already have an external hard drive, so I will see if I can buy just the case for it, because for the videos I have a 2t, and buy a new everything it may be expensive

For the hub, why it has to be powered ? :-)
I am trying to limit the cables and stuff to plug for a quick install

For the rest, thanks again for the reply and time taken.

You can definitely get an empty shell for your hard drive but I would suggest getting a new TB external as then you can keep your current as a backup and not have to worry about the wear and tear that's already been put on that drive thus compromising it's life especially when transplanting it ... As far as the hub the reason you'll want a powered one is because a single USB output is not meant to have so many different devices pulling from it at the same time and will put a lot of extra strain on that one port ... A powered hub will help regulate the power distributed to all the devices plugged in so your USB port on the computer doesn't have to work as hard to power and transfer data and can primarily just worry about data transfer
Lou Dog 1:48 AM - 12 November, 2015
Just curious. What are your laptops specs? I'd be too paranoid to run all that off a dock. But cheers to you if it's working for you
DJ Baby Boy 2:16 AM - 12 November, 2015
Quote:
Just curious. What are your laptops specs? I'd be too paranoid to run all that off a dock. But cheers to you if it's working for you

I did a lot of at home testing and stress testing before I ever attempted this live but I'm running a 2012 15" MBP 2.3 i7 with 16GB ram a 512 SSD for OS & 2TB HDD in the optibay with my DJ library on an external 4TB HDD
Scully DJ Services 3:29 AM - 12 November, 2015
Just curious, but what is the purpose of having a 2TB in the optical bay if you use an external for music?
DJ Baby Boy 3:35 AM - 12 November, 2015
Quote:
Just curious, but what is the purpose of having a 2TB in the optical bay if you use an external for music?

The reason I have the 2TB is for aditional storage ... I use it for Dropbox which takes about 500GB itself and that's also where I primarily keep all of my ambient visuals and video samples for ME I also have my Photos backup in there as well as all the shared folders with other DJs ... I also use it for keeping documents and such and when editing on my MBP I keep all of my stored clips for Final Cut on there as to not clutter up my OS drive and help performance ... That's also where all my downloads go until I can Label and organize everything (stored in dropbox as well)
Scully DJ Services 3:56 AM - 12 November, 2015
Ok cool that makes sense. Thanks for sharing
Code:E 7:34 AM - 12 November, 2015
Quote:
2 extra questions

^^^ what he said.
Code:E 7:37 AM - 12 November, 2015
Quote:
Code E I can vouch for these ... I picked one up and it is AMAZING

Dam. Well my birthday and xmas are coming up. I might have to let the wife know.... I just wish someone in Canada had stocked them before the Canadian dollar shit the bed. %30 mark up in less than a year for no reason is a hard pill to swallow.
PopRoXxX 7:59 PM - 13 November, 2015
Quote:
As for you music. Thunderbolt for sure! I love and and swear by the Lacie Rugged thunderbolt drives.

We've been over this Code:E lol!

It's not the "best" solution, but yes, it is a solution. Also, not the best wallet situation if you're looking to getting your money's worth all around
Code:E 9:13 PM - 13 November, 2015
Quote:
It's not the "best" solution,

It by far is the best solution. It;s not cheap, but it is better.
PopRoXxX 10:58 PM - 13 November, 2015
How would you say it's the best solution?

A drive that's USB 3.0 with twice the capacity and more transfer speed over the comparable thunderbolt drive. Go for the thunderbolt hub with not only extra USB 3.0 ports but also added audio input/output card, FireWire 800 port, Ethernet, etc.
Code:E 1:08 AM - 14 November, 2015
Quote:

Glad you asked.

Quote:
A drive that's USB 3.0 with twice the capacity

That depends on the thunderbolt drive you buy. You can get any drive in any size you want.

Quote:
more transfer speed over the comparable thunderbolt drive.

Prove that...... In a apple's to apples comparison. Meaning the Same drive (seatgate, WD, ect.) in 2 different enclosures into the same computer..... I have never seen anywhere a real world test with a USB 3 beating a thunderbolt. And theoretical speeds this isn't even a debate.

Plus the fact that you dont loose one for only 2 USB ports on your mac to a harddrive. I would never suggest running a HD or soundcard off a USB hub.

Quote:
Go for the thunderbolt hub with not only extra USB 3.0 ports but also added audio input/output card, FireWire 800 port, Ethernet, etc.

Now thats something different. Buying the dock and then using a USB 3 drive makes sense. I still wouldn't do it because 5 USB ports for me is just the bare essentials. It's also more to setup and extra cost. Also doesn't leave a lot of room for backup's. I carry 2 USB hubs and 2 power supply's for those hubs in my gig bag. And soon a duplicate HD for backup. If that dock dies, nobody is carrying around 2 of those docks.
PopRoXxX 7:42 AM - 14 November, 2015
Quote:

Quote:
Glad you asked.

Quote:

That depends on the thunderbolt drive you buy. You can get any drive in any size you want.

True story. Here I am comparing the Lacie Rugged 2TB thunderbolt vs the Seagate Backup Plus Fast 4TB USB 3.0 for the same exact money

Quote:
more transfer speed over the comparable thunderbolt drive.

Quote:
Prove that...... In a apple's to apples comparison. Meaning the Same drive (seatgate, WD, ect.) in 2 different enclosures into the same computer..... I have never seen anywhere a real world test with a USB 3 beating a thunderbolt. And theoretical speeds this isn't even a debate.

Plus the fact that you dont loose one for only 2 USB ports on your mac to a harddrive. I would never suggest running a HD or soundcard off a USB hub.

Proved already with the above test. Lacie Rugged 2TB thunderbolt only travels 175-190mbps. Seagate Backup Plus Fast travels 200-225mbps.

Quote:
Go for the thunderbolt hub with not only extra USB 3.0 ports but also added audio input/output card, FireWire 800 port, Ethernet, etc.

Quote:
Now thats something different. Buying the dock and then using a USB 3 drive makes sense. I still wouldn't do it because 5 USB ports for me is just the bare essentials. It's also more to setup and extra cost. Also doesn't leave a lot of room for backup's. I carry 2 USB hubs and 2 power supply's for those hubs in my gig bag. And soon a duplicate HD for backup. If that dock dies, nobody is carrying around 2 of those docks.

How is it more to setup than your USB hubs again? Dock + power. Think you're doing the same exact thing. And from very hard field testing: I've been using the same thunderbolt dock for two years with no problems still.
DJMark 6:19 PM - 14 November, 2015
Quote:
I love and and swear by the Lacie Rugged thunderbolt drives.

The "Lacie Rugged Thunderbolt drives" I've seen have the Thunderbolt cable wired directly into the case, so if the cable gets damaged or worn out the whole drive is useless until serviced. I'm much more in favor of drive cases that just have the appropriate jacks on them.
Code:E 7:42 PM - 14 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I love and and swear by the Lacie Rugged thunderbolt drives.

The "Lacie Rugged Thunderbolt drives" I've seen have the Thunderbolt cable wired directly into the case, so if the cable gets damaged or worn out the whole drive is useless until serviced. I'm much more in favor of drive cases that just have the appropriate jacks on them.

Very true But there are models available with a detached cable (i have one). The attached cable was a bad move IMO.