DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Mobile DJ Speakers

Corrigan 5:26 AM - 30 January, 2015
Looking to purchase some 15" Active Speakers. There are a lot of brands, models, and opinions out there, I am looking for some reviews on what you currently have both pros and cons. Yamaha? JBL? Yorkville? RCF Art Series? Not looking for the bottom of the line stuff but something thats well built, superior sound and can't pump when it needs too. Thanks in advance for the input.
desmorider 12:01 PM - 30 January, 2015
What's your budget? What size crowds? What kind of music? What size crowds you want to play for?
Corrigan 3:09 PM - 30 January, 2015
I do a lot of traditional events weddings, sweet 16, etc but I do a lot of bars and clubs too. Crowds can be 100 plus, biggest one 300. Depending on event dictates music, most times open format. Price point probably under $1,000 per speaker.
desmorider 3:45 PM - 30 January, 2015
You have some good choices under $1000 per box. If you will always use a sub, i say go with a two way 12in speaker. If you are going to play gigs without a sub, get two way 15in speakers. The yamaha dsr and dxr series are really good and are under $1000 per box. The rcf hd32a sounds really good and is under $1k. If you step your budget up a little, then the ev etx series and rcf art745a are worth looking at, but $1150-1300 per box. For subs, if you want loud and aggressive you cant beat the ls801p. If you go with rcf tops, make sure the sub(s) you look at have hi pass out. Jbl also has a new powered series, and it looks interesting, however the performance is unknown at this point. They are also a few months out from being available.
rayjthedj 4:36 PM - 30 January, 2015
There is not a better buy out there, for what you get, than the Yamaha DXR15's for under a grand, that includes covers and air assisted tripods for under 1K each :)

Do not skip on the covers if you decide on DXR's.
HighTopFade 6:20 PM - 30 January, 2015
Can't see going wrong with Yamaha DXR. Even their "budget" DBR series is impressive.
DJ GaFFle 6:48 PM - 30 January, 2015
Yamaha seems to always make very good tops.
DJ GaFFle 6:49 PM - 30 January, 2015
Their Nexo line sounds incredible!
Aden 7:46 PM - 30 January, 2015
Quote:
I am looking at the DBR15s and the ZLX15s. Is there a significant upgrade from the ZLX to the DBR? If not, are there any other options that are priced the same?

Imo, yes. The DBR get much louder in full range mode without distorting. DBR has a 7 year warranty too. I'm seeing the DBR15 new on ebay for $529 obo. The ZLX15p new is at $499 obo.
Aden 8:08 PM - 30 January, 2015
Quote:
Looking to purchase some 15" Active Speakers. There are a lot of brands, models, and opinions out there, I am looking for some reviews on what you currently have both pros and cons. Yamaha? JBL? Yorkville? RCF Art Series? Not looking for the bottom of the line stuff but something thats well built, superior sound and can't pump when it needs too. Thanks in advance for the input.

If you're open to getting a sub I'd go with a DBR/DXR12 and use the extra funds to pick up a sub. The new EV EKS18 sub will retail at $999 but you'll have to wait a few months before they hit the stores.

If you're not interested in a sub than the DXR15 or RCF HD32 would be my recommendations.
desmorider 8:51 PM - 30 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

If you're open to getting a sub I'd go with a DBR/DXR12 and use the extra funds to pick up a sub. The new EV EKS18 sub will retail at $999 but you'll have to wait a few months before they hit the stores.

If you're not interested in a sub than the DXR15 or RCF HD32 would be my recommendations.

The dxr15 would be good ok without a sub, however i wouldnt recommend 12in tops, even hd32a's without a sub.
Aden 9:13 PM - 30 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The dxr15 would be good ok without a sub, however i wouldnt recommend 12in tops, even hd32a's without a sub.

Oh shoot, you're right. I didn't realize the HD32s were 12". I stand corrected. My bad.
Joee 11:29 PM - 30 January, 2015
i'd also suggest you look into these--> www.electrovoice.com

under 1K per box the yamaha dxr15 is a good choice, i would advise you to save a little longer about $1,300 per box look at the rcf art 745 & ev zxa5

for around $1,000 per box look at the ev etx15p
BigWave DJ 12:00 AM - 31 January, 2015
Quote:
I do a lot of traditional events weddings, sweet 16, etc but I do a lot of bars and clubs too. Crowds can be 100 plus, biggest one 300. Depending on event dictates music, most times open format. Price point probably under $1,000 per speaker.

I have the Yamaha DXR 15's. I do exactly the gigs you do and they have always sounded really good. Get the covers, the finish is not very scratch resistant. I use the DXR 8" as a monitor and it sounds really good. Going to get another and 2 12" subs for a "smaller set up"
Al Poulin 1:43 AM - 31 January, 2015
Agreed on the DXR15s being terrific for the money AND requiring covers. I've had my pair for almost 2 years and they have been issue free and sound terrific for small to medium (up to 150 people IMO) venues. More than that, and I would opt for smaller tops on a pair of subs (like my DXR8 tops over DXS12 subs).

If you want more output, better transducers and a much more durable finish (and you don't mind NOT having the mixer section), the DSR115s are a step up and are worth the extra $$$ if you plan on playing loud and not always bringing subs. They are excellent stand alone tops. Another excellent stand alone top (in the 1000$ range) is Yorkville's NX750P-2. Although a bit clumsier to handle because of its size and single carry handle, it puts out serious low end and gets very loud as well. Many good choices out there these days.

www.sweetwater.com

yorkville.com

Al

Al