Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Pre fader fx

busy1 1:06 PM - 23 January, 2015
Why no pre fader fx on serato dj but pre fader fx in dj intro? Am I missing something? This should be an essential.
PorkyG 1:17 PM - 23 January, 2015
busy1 1:33 PM - 23 January, 2015
Does this feature vary between hardware or is set in stone through the software? I read the above article but couldn't find a clear definition.
PorkyG 2:02 PM - 23 January, 2015
In the article it states every effect is pre-fader unless you activate the usb insert to make it post fader.
busy1 2:25 PM - 23 January, 2015
I must have hit something on accident then. I'll go through all the settings when I get off work and see if I can get it to work. Thanks for the reply and feedback PorkyG I appreciate it.
PorkyG 2:26 PM - 23 January, 2015
No problem, hopefully it helps and you find out what it is.
busy1 12:42 AM - 24 January, 2015
I've checked everything and still no luck. I've google this question and found post from 2013 and 2014 saying that the fx are all post fader. Is this true for the newest version of serato dj? I redownloaded dj intro and the fx are pre fader but on serato dj they are all post.
busy1 1:16 AM - 24 January, 2015
Also I had pre fader fx during the 14 day trial. I lost them as soon as I bought the program.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 4:07 AM - 24 January, 2015
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this sorry. Are you wanting pre-fader FX for any reason in particular?

If you're using Serato DJ FX, in most cases with a controller the FX will be post-fader. It can vary though across hardware.

What hardware do you have?

Sam.
busy1 5:03 AM - 24 January, 2015
Thank you for the reply Sam. Yes I am wanting pre fader fx. I don't play for big clubs or anything but we do throw party's and get down at the house sometimes and I like to preview the fx on a track before I play them. I am using the mixtrack pro 2. I'm just confused because everything was fine until I bought the program and I'm just trying to figure out if it's something I did or if that is just how the program is setup.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 5:41 AM - 24 January, 2015
Nothing should have changed between the trial and full version of Serato DJ - they are the exact same thing.

I see what you are referring to though, you're talking about cue for your FX. Unfortunately there is no FX pre-fader cue option available. You can only listen to your FX through the master output.

Sam.
busy1 5:54 AM - 24 January, 2015
Thank you so much Sam. That shit was driving me crazy.
musiclee 5:55 AM - 24 January, 2015
I too would like an option of pre or post for Fx
I want to listen to my FX BEFORE lifting up fader, pre-fader
Johnny.S 12:15 PM - 24 January, 2015
I don't want to sound dumb but what is the difference between post fader and pre fader effects?
busy1 1:48 PM - 24 January, 2015
serato.com
There is a explanation in this article. I was referring to pre fader ( my cued track through the headphones) and post fader( main output through speakers).
musiclee 9:20 PM - 24 January, 2015
Pre-fader is independent of fader
Your fader is down you hear FX
Your fader is up you hear FX
Same amount of FX independent of fader

Post-fader is dependent on fader
The more you raise fader the more FX
The more you lower fader the less FX
So if your fader is down you hear no FX
As you taise your fader. Your FX increases

So depending on your needs you may want PRE or POST
musiclee 11:27 PM - 24 January, 2015
So in a band situation most FX are post fader as you want FX to increase with volume fader
When fader down you dont want to hear your vocal reverb, delay

But for monitors you want pre fader to have independent volume control so channel fader doesnt affect what you hear on stage
Dokumentary 8:38 AM - 27 January, 2015
^^^^^ Nope ^^^^^

Neither of those terms refer to cueing. What you're looking for is a way to hear the fx in your headphones before you use it "in the mix". Right?

That would be like "preview effects" or something like that. Your explanation is fine but, those terms are already defined and mean something a bit different.
PorkyG 11:55 AM - 28 January, 2015
Quote:
serato.com

That's my bad bro, I didn't know you were wanting to hear them pre-mix in, I thought you were having an issue where your effect was trailing even after closing the fader.