Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Constantly writing tags after analyzing

goldvoltron 4:58 PM - 13 January, 2015
Recently I cleaned up my Macbook Pro, upgraded the hard drive(to SSD), more ram(max) etc. I also reformatted my external drive and only put the music that I am using for a mix on it.

Followed the Serato guide to adjusting settings to ensure the Mac runs as smooth as possible. Set buffer in the software to 2, turned off auto gain and made sure keylock is not on.

Ran Serato DJ and analyzed the folder in question with no issues. However, when I play a track the bottom info bar shows "writing tags blah blah" when the song starts.

Went back and re-analyzed the tracks and still getting the same issue. Any suggestions?

Specs:

Macbook pro(mid 2010) - Yosemite 10.10.1
2.4GHZ - i5
8GIG memory

Only used for Serato DJ. Bluetooth & Internet are OFF.
Serato, Support
Ian W 3:20 AM - 14 January, 2015
Hey goldvoltron,

When you play a track and it says writing ID3 tags, are the waveforms already up and running?

also did you follow these instructions when reformatting your External?:

support.serato.com

Would recommend to flick a ticket through at support.serato.com and someone from the support team will help you out with your issues

Cheers,

Ian
Dj Kue13 3:33 AM - 14 January, 2015
I have the exact same issue, did you get this resolved?
goldvoltron 4:21 AM - 14 January, 2015
The tracks are playing with full waveforms when it happens. the external drive was formatted to the mac OS standard. Also verified permissions etc.

Guess the next step is a support ticket.....
goldvoltron 9:28 PM - 14 January, 2015
Decided to use another HD to test. The tags are still being written during play, but its not as frequent as before.
goldvoltron 12:37 AM - 15 January, 2015
Something I noticed with the tags. When I load a new track, the previous tracks tag starts writing.
BBN 1:53 AM - 15 January, 2015
I see this a lot too.
Loading a new track and something is written to the previous track, even if I didn't change cues, loops, flip or anything.
Mackadelic 3:29 PM - 18 January, 2015
I'm having the same issue. Once I stop one track and start another one, the previous starts writing tags. Is it supposed to do this? I keep my library folders sorted by modification date so this messes me up.
gfella 8:30 PM - 18 January, 2015
I'm on a MBP 2010 with Rane 62.
Mp3, aac, wav and aiff files are rewritten.
This started when I changed my HD for an SSD drive, I tried 2 SSD's, last one is a Samsung Evo 840.
I have both SSL and SDJ installed, it does NOT happen in SDJ but only in SSL, very weird.
Before I was in contact with support ( Matt P ) I did these steps.

-renew V2 file several times.
-delete and renew crates.
-delete the .pref file.
-analyze my library several times.
-remove SSL and re-install again.
-clean install of Snow Leopard.
- clean install SSL.
-run files trough MP3Repair programm.
-deleted all IDv1 tags with MediaRage.
-set all tags to IDv2.3 with MediaRage.
-set all tags to IDv2.2 with MediaRage.
-transcoded wav to mp3 or aac to mp3 or mp3 to wav to test.
-repair permissions.
-upgraded to Yosemite.
-start to build my library from scratch in SSL.
-uncheck protect library in setup.
-files and folders are read and write.
-installed trim enabler for the SSD.
-new rips from cd.
-new downloads from I-tunes, Beatport etc.
-couple off things I forgot.

Sometimes these steps help for a day or 2, but the rewriting always comes back, but maybe these steps can help some of you.( fingers crossed)
As mentioned, I have no files rewritten in SDJ which is on the same drive.
Also, when I move the files to my Imac I have no files rewritten in SSL, so the problem is in my MBP.
Somehow related to my SSD ( not officially Apple supported) but why is SDJ not affected?
gfella 12:48 PM - 25 January, 2015
Two hours after I wrote my last post, the SSD died.
Next day I went to the store where I bought it and got a new one, it was still under warranty as it was only 3 months old.
Installed it and copied my backup files and now it's working how it should be, no rewriting.
When I connect my external drive also no rewriting ( nothing changed to that disc).
Just like that.

In a nutshell, I replaced my internal non SSD last year, because it crashed, but before that happened, no rewriting was going on.
I went with a Crucial SSD and after installing the rewriting started and one week later the disk died.
Replaced the Crucial for a Samsung 840 evo but the rewriting still happened, only in SSL not in SDJ, anyway I wanted to stop this, but whatever I tried, it did not help.
Apple hardwaretest or Onyx and other tools all say the SSD was fine and sofar it worked fast and fine except for the rewriting.This tells me something is not working how it should be, and since my files work fine on my Imac with the same version of SSL, I know the problem is not SSL but my disk.

How big is the chance that you install two bad disks? Well, anything can happen as you can see.
So if you still have tag rewriting going on and the steps to fix this did not help you, try another computer first and check your disk.

FYI, rewriting should only happen when you change something to the file, cue point etc, when you eject the file, you see the tag writing at the bottom in the software.
When you reload and eject this file again, there is no rewrite, since there is nothing changed in the file.