DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Old Bay Area Radio Mixes

esp1 6:26 AM - 18 April, 2009
Before the new crop of djs on the local airwaves, I use to listen and record mixes by DJ Cameron Paul, Michael Erickson, Alexander Mejia, Billy Vidal, Dave Moss and even Theo Mizuhara back in the 80s. Does anyone have copies of any radio mixes from the 80s from any of these djs? Got a few of their mixes...wouldn't mind hearing some more from them
esp1 11:15 PM - 20 April, 2009
bump...anyone see this?
Audio1 3:07 AM - 21 April, 2009
Post 80's and 90's sets of Bay Area radio DJ's. I have some boxes full of old radio tapes. Might have to start ripping them soon.
esp1 5:09 AM - 21 April, 2009
thx for the response Audio1...here's one to get this thread started...

for the new heads out there...here's a short intro to a 1988 Dave Moss megamix...

www.zshare.net

enjoy!
esp1 4:48 AM - 22 April, 2009
here's another 10 min. snippet of a DJ Davey D. and Alex Mejia mix--with mixes from around the country circa 1990

this snippet includes a special DJ Red Alert mix for KMEL

www.zshare.net

more rare snippets to come...if you have any complete Bay Area radio mixes, I can hook you with the rest of the mixes..get at me

for everyone else
enjoy again!
esp1 4:50 AM - 28 April, 2009
here's another short intro from DJ Theo from 1988

www.zshare.net

last one to load..since there doesn't seem to be much interest in listening to old radio mixes
DJ SPAIR 10:55 AM - 28 April, 2009
Quote:
thx for the response Audio1...here's one to get this thread started...

for the new heads out there...here's a short intro to a 1988 Dave Moss megamix...

www.zshare.net

enjoy!

Wow... the edits are remixng are amazing!
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 11:48 AM - 28 April, 2009
+1

much respect to all the trail blazers and trendsetters
uno seis 3:53 PM - 28 April, 2009
i have a box of old tapes with mixes from wild and kmel during the 90s...gotta find em when i go back up to the bay in mid-may
esp1 4:57 AM - 30 April, 2009
looking forward to uno seis...

glad you enjoyed them...DJ Spair...I remember getting records from DJ Dave Moss at Tower Record near Pier 39...he worked there when he was mixing at KMEL...would ask what he played on his show and then ultimately buy those same records...lol..the good ol' days

yes, trailblazers...DJ Mike
FRISKOEDDY 7:39 AM - 30 April, 2009
+1
djscottyfox 12:50 AM - 3 May, 2009
im gonna ask Pete, our production director, if he has any of the reel-2-reels of the old mixes. hes been at KMEL since 87. he might have some. i had tapes n tapes of cameron n theo, prince ice, etc.... i can ask michael erickson too.
djscottyfox 12:53 AM - 3 May, 2009
Scotty Fox Mixes

rapidshare.com

theres some of mine from like 96-97 on here...and 2000.. not really what ur lookin for, but u can see their influence...
Audio1 5:15 PM - 4 May, 2009
^^ Thanks for those Scotty. The ones labeled "kyld1, kyld2 and WILD_MIX_1997_MAX", I pretty much was trying to imitate that with my old Tascam 424 at home when I was a Junior and Senior in High School. Such dope sets!!!
Audio1 5:15 PM - 4 May, 2009
Crazy transitions too... I loved the Josh Wink tranisition. "I am READY!"
Audio1 5:21 PM - 4 May, 2009
Here are 3 Wild949 mixes circa 1999-2001 era, Alot of Electro, House, Latin and uptempo hits.... You might hear Sandstorm somewhere in these.

Majestic Chris - Wildstyle
www.mediafire.com

Leslie Perez - Wildstyle
www.mediafire.com

Jazzy Jim - Wildstyle
www.mediafire.com
esp1 4:08 AM - 5 May, 2009
thx DJScottyfox...that RIM mix is a nice one...always enjoyed mixes where the djs put a little extra in making the mix...as opposed to record to record with simple blends and cuts...will check out the others as well

thx Audio1 for the share....I thought people forgot the thread

will share a few more goodies in a bit
Djbran 5:18 PM - 5 May, 2009
Just got this recently from the homey Dino Rivera from Spintronix when he was a guest dj for KMEL back in the day. Really takin it back with the Love Lines & Party line.
www.mediafire.com

anyone know what happened to Rosary? she still doing radio? her midday slot along with Trace & Franny was just perfect.
deezlee 8:42 PM - 5 May, 2009
hey thanks for putting those up... haven't had a chance to download em yet, but i'm definitely looking forward to it...

game recognize game... in the bay mayn, in the bay mayn, in the in the bay mayn...
djscottyfox 1:41 AM - 6 May, 2009
Rosary just kinda disappeared, i dont know where she went.. but since you mentioned Love Lines, i'll bring the mood down and let you know Evan Luck passed away last week in Costa Rica...

Big shot to SPINTRONIX in the house, doin it live since 1985.
uno seis 3:39 AM - 6 May, 2009
man, those 90s scotty fox mixes totally bring back memories
Boba Tha Hut 6:37 AM - 6 May, 2009
Scotty

Is that 'Head over heels' your own remix or is it on one of your comp mixes you put out back in the day?
djscottyfox 7:14 AM - 6 May, 2009
i made it......just for the mix.. these mixes were made before i ever did the comp records..
Djbran 7:38 AM - 7 May, 2009
Quote:
Rosary just kinda disappeared, i dont know where she went.. but since you mentioned Love Lines, i'll bring the mood down and let you know Evan Luck passed away last week in Costa Rica...

Big shot to SPINTRONIX in the house, doin it live since 1985.

Sorry to hear about Evan Luck. R.I.P.
Audio1 5:21 PM - 7 May, 2009
Quote:
man, those 90s scotty fox mixes totally bring back memories
I have them recorded on tape at home somewheres.... peep the edits he made on the sets. Funk Phenomena transition down.... Custom version of Jocelyn Enriquez... Good use of loops in pre-serato era. My homies said that SCOTTY FOX would actually produce and play keyboard over some of the Freestyle acapellas, like Alibis (before he snapped his copy in the club).
djscottyfox 7:23 PM - 7 May, 2009
audio... ur homies lied... i didnt play keyboards or anything like that...lol... i just knew how to layer samples etc... and i didnt snap the alabyes 12"... i just took a lot of time to make the mixes, about a day each maybe......
djscottyfox 7:23 PM - 7 May, 2009
and im eating string cheese
Audio1 7:28 PM - 7 May, 2009
The 90's was a magical time.... Remember, Everyone claimed they could beat QBERT in a battle back then, because he was a made up fantasy until videos surfaced. LOL
DJ SPAIR 10:32 PM - 7 May, 2009
Quote:
The 90's was a magical time.... Remember, Everyone claimed they could beat QBERT in a battle back then, because he was a made up fantasy until videos surfaced. LOL

Yo! You know what.. I remember listening to the party line on KMEL around 90-91 and someone was saying" man qbert is wack I'll out scratch that lil filipino any day" then everyone says to the guy" let's hear you scratch!" and dude put his phone to the speaker and started scratching. I can't remember if it was good or even better than Qbert's but recently I found out that the culprit was DJ FLARE! lol!
esp1 3:43 AM - 8 May, 2009
thx DJ Bran for the mix...Spintronix is a class act since the mid 80s...still have an original promo mix by them

k...here's the longer version of that DJ Theo mix...was infamous around these parts...but he had some enjoyable mixes...always like the Magic Mike intro of this one

www.zshare.net

keep those mixes comin'
Audio1 5:11 AM - 8 May, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Yo! You know what.. I remember listening to the party line on KMEL around 90-91 and someone was saying" man qbert is wack I'll out scratch that lil filipino any day" then everyone says to the guy" let's hear you scratch!" and dude put his phone to the speaker and started scratching. I can't remember if it was good or even better than Qbert's but recently I found out that the culprit was DJ FLARE! lol!
The Bay area has some incredible DJ history!! I found this blog a while back... I wish they did more updates... legionsofboom.com Theres hella videos on YouTube now from Ladda Sounds (my mentor was part of this crew, DJ MK2 from Aim 2 Pleez), Spintronix, 3 Style and other Bay area crews from way back.
djscottyfox 9:55 PM - 8 May, 2009
Watchwww.youtube.com heres a video i put together about the group I was in before Spintronix. All the footage is from around 91-94...
Audio1 11:16 PM - 8 May, 2009
Dope video and mix.... The Best for last... Haha!
FunkyRob 12:03 AM - 9 May, 2009
Quote:
here's another 10 min. snippet of a DJ Davey D. and Alex Mejia mix--with mixes from around the country circa 1990

this snippet includes a special DJ Red Alert mix for KMEL

www.zshare.net

more rare snippets to come...if you have any complete Bay Area radio mixes, I can hook you with the rest of the mixes..get at me

for everyone else
enjoy again!

Damn, I think I remember listening that night. Or did they do that "guest mixers from around the country" thing more than once?

If memory serves me correct, one of them went all 'Everybody Dance Now!' by C+C Music Factory.
FunkyRob 12:26 AM - 9 May, 2009
How come I don't remember Dave Moss?
esp1 11:41 PM - 9 May, 2009
Quote:
How come I don't remember Dave Moss?

I don't he was on the station very long before moving on...but he left an impression on some people
djscottyfox 12:06 AM - 10 May, 2009
Quote:

that was an inside joke for all my fellow group members...we were all class of 1992 Lowell and Saint Ignatius, and that song was the prom theme for both our Senior Proms.. so I had to put that in there for em... The Indian guy seen DJin a lot is Sunil Kapadia aka Prince K, a fairly successful house dj and partner in PercussionSF..
esp1 12:41 AM - 10 May, 2009
Quote:

great video and the music was on point
esp1 1:10 AM - 10 May, 2009
quote]

Damn, I think I remember listening that night. Or did they do that "guest mixers from around the country" thing more than once?

If memory serves me correct, one of them went all 'Everybody Dance Now!' by C+C Music Factory.

Funky Rob...you have a good memory...for that..here's the CC Music Factory megamix from KCMU own Nasty Nes

enjoy!

more to come

www.zshare.net
Dj Billy Vidal 12:00 PM - 16 May, 2010
I have a bunch of old reel to reels in my garage..lol
Dj Billy Vidal 12:04 PM - 16 May, 2010
Oh yeah...Dave Moss left KMEL to go to work for Profile Records... he signed Dj Quick. Dave was a great Dj... Dr. Winkie owner of DV8 dicovered him back east and moved him to SF.
Djbran 11:06 PM - 20 May, 2010
Found this on facebook kmelforever.com
WestCoastAvenger 11:26 PM - 20 May, 2010
btw when's the next bay area jammy jam??
esp1 4:39 AM - 26 June, 2010
Quote:
I have a bunch of old reel to reels in my garage..lol

that would be great to hear them again..
Dj Adam Gonzalez 5:21 AM - 23 January, 2013
remember this?

The Late Nite Creep with Mixx Show DJs was a popular late night radio show on San Jose's Hot 97.7. On-Air Personality, Strawberry, with MIXX Show DJs: Vicious V, DJ Pleez, Rich Laxamana, Majestichris, Greg Lopez, Arturo Garces, Razor Rob, and Jazzy Jim.

--> Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ SPAIR 12:58 AM - 25 January, 2013
Quote:
remember this?

The Late Nite Creep with Mixx Show DJs was a popular late night radio show on San Jose's Hot 97.7. On-Air Personality, Strawberry, with MIXX Show DJs: Vicious V, DJ Pleez, Rich Laxamana, Majestichris, Greg Lopez, Arturo Garces, Razor Rob, and Jazzy Jim.

--> Watchwww.youtube.com

Dope! We never got this station in Oakland. I know a couple of the DJs on there.When was this filmed?
DJ SPAIR 1:10 AM - 25 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
remember this?

--> Watchwww.youtube.com

Dope! We never got this station in Oakland. I know a couple of the DJs on there.When was this filmed?

ooops never mind. I just noticed the date. 1995!
Audio1 1:40 AM - 25 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
remember this?

--> Watchwww.youtube.com

ooops never mind. I just noticed the date. 1995!
I lucked out in Hayward. I was able to hear it... so I had Hot 97.7, Wild 107 and 106 KMEL plus the local college station mixshows. ;)
Audio1 1:44 AM - 25 January, 2013
@SPAIR: Crazy how we know and work with a bunch of these cats today!
Audio1 1:50 AM - 25 January, 2013
We are starting to age ourselves today. (Heading to Red Bull Thre3style battle to heckle at the DJ's. LOL)
dj garcia 3:25 AM - 30 January, 2013
Quote:
remember this?

--> Watchwww.youtube.com

Hhahahaaa! Ese Pollo!
DD 8:03 PM - 23 February, 2015
I have a lot of archives :)
HighTopFade 4:46 AM - 25 February, 2015
I used to listen to Steve Masters a lot on 105.3 back in the late 80s. I think he's a pro gamer now.
Ingo B 5:52 PM - 3 March, 2015
Steve Masters was legit. While he wasn't the most technical live mixer (his musical phrasing was off at times), he was clean and had the dopest, raddest, freshest record collection.
Ingo B 5:52 PM - 3 March, 2015
Steve Masters was legit. While he wasn't the most technical live mixer (his musical phrasing was off at times), he was clean and had the dopest, raddest, freshest record collection.
djbigboy 11:10 PM - 5 March, 2015
Will confirm Ingo's assessment...not super great in person but spot on with programming...nice guy to boot....
kmelforever 10:59 PM - 18 July, 2015
I saw Evan Luck of late 80s early 90s KMEL fame last night in Costa Rica, alive and well. He is the evening DJ at a station called Radio Dos. I talked to him about his time in the SF Bay. He is particularly proud of being the pioneer of Love Lines before the version with Adam Carolla, MTV, etc. So stop saying he is dead.
Alex Mejia 3:13 PM - 19 August, 2015
Thanks for listening Guys - Most of on this thread truly Rock.... Keep the underground alive!