Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

SDJ embedded version

Djkom 10:53 AM - 25 November, 2014
Looking at the new dj hardwares and the future improvements, we can guess that there is more and more highly integration of mixing software into the hardware: Numark NV, Traktor S8 and Recently the Pioneer XDJ 1000 are the good examples.

So I think Serato should now develop an "embedded version" of SDJ to compete RekordBox.
This embedded version will have simply the ability to:
- Read Serato/Itunes playlists on usb storage
- Display tracks waveforms as in SDJ/SSL
- Manage Cues/loops like in SDJ/SSL

I doubt that Pioneer will be a partner for such feature, but it's a door opened for all others like Numark, Denon, Vestax...

All we want is a back up solution for the future players...

What do you think guys ?
Djkom 11:07 AM - 25 November, 2014
I forgot to mention that this embedded version will be made for players with color screen of course ;)

And I think it's not a big deal for Serato to implement this feature (or precisely define the protocols for reading and writing data because the UI part will be made by the hardware companies) and it's a big advantage IMO because SDJ can already export playlists on USB storage so it's just a continuity to what they have already started :)
Djkom 3:21 PM - 17 December, 2014
Nobody is interested by my idea ?
Will08272 11:45 PM - 17 December, 2014
Ive mentioned this in a couple other threads that i would love to see it, but with pioneer being the main seller of tabletop players and they probably wouldn't hope on board because of rekordbox, it just wouldn't be as viable and would be more restricted features wise. Also it increases the number of variables for problems, if one player goes down for some reason your sol, for clubs maintaining the current version of the software for all the players. But for all in ones it would be amazing, a version of the SZ with some screens a usb port and SDJ embedded would be pretty damn awesome.
Chino 3:48 PM - 14 March, 2016
+1 I would like to see Serato bring back an embedded version of Scratch Live.
DJ Johnny Bertone 5:00 PM - 14 March, 2016
It would be cool but this is like chevy using a ford motor in a silverado. Pioneer being the top producer wouldn't support it because they have their own embedded product, which is obviously trying to be pushed to be competition for SDJ since they released the computer version, so who's next? numark? denon? they can't compete with pioneer. as much as i dislike the feel of pioneer controllers and CDJs (Even though i own a DDJ-SX2 and had a set of CDJ 1k MK3s) no one would be able to compete with them enough to justify it. building an embedded version, making contractual obligations with hardware suppliers, working on designing and producing a new product to launch with this embedded version, and marketing it would not be worth it, verses the cost of just whipping up a contract with a few companies and having compatibility with their universal program thats already established.

the idea is cool and id support it but looking at it from a business standpoint its more than likely not going to happen because its not mutually beneficial between the company and the end users
maarawoe 6:37 PM - 14 March, 2016
Serato is not even able to maintain its remote app or create ipad version of the serato. I doubt they will make an embedded version when they fail on much much easier tasks...
Chino 10:23 PM - 15 March, 2016
Pioneer has the Rekordbox platform. Denon has the improved Engine 1.5 software. These are both capable of being embedded. The signs are all there as to where the DJ industry is headed. I just hope Serato gets on board soon or they may risk loosing a significant percentage of the overall DJ market share.
popnwave 11:16 PM - 15 March, 2016
Quote:
Pioneer has the Rekordbox platform. Denon has the improved Engine 1.5 software. These are both capable of being embedded. The signs are all there as to where the DJ industry is headed. I just hope Serato gets on board soon or they may risk loosing a significant percentage of the overall DJ market share.

The market is so fragmented I don't see that happening. There are too many people happy to use lesser options, and why leave Traktor out? Are they doing something Serato isn't that makes them immune to the same market actions?
DJ Johnny Bertone 11:29 PM - 15 March, 2016
Quote:

There so even Denon is out so there's no reliable hardware supporters left that would split that market area
Chino 11:59 PM - 15 March, 2016
Traktor (Native Instruments) is a software company that now manufactures its own hardware. It was very smart of NI to do so. The issue is that there is almost a monopoly by Pioneer in the DJ industry. Pioneer amounts to almost 60% of all DJ equipment sales world wide. A monopoly of any industry is not good for consumers. Companies like Denon, Rane, Serato, Traktor, and Virtual DJ NEED to be as innovative as possible! This will keep the price of DJ gear/software low and include more features like embedded software. Competition is a good thing for consumers!!
deejdave 4:58 AM - 17 March, 2016
Quote:
Pioneer amounts to almost 60% of all DJ equipment sales world wide.

Correct. Pioneer DJ just gave up on their all-in-one concept in favor of Rekordbox DJ. Denon along with Gemini have had a history of playing catch up with Pioneer since god knows when. The fact that Pioneer just gave up on it combined with the fact that Denon & Gemini just made their attempts are all the clues I need to know the all-in-one concept is on its way out.
Chino 6:29 PM - 17 March, 2016
I disagree. Embedded technology is the future. The only reason Pioneer DJ has given up on embedded is because there is more money to be made in licensing. Pioneer DJ is not a company known for great customer service, build quality or truly caring for their customer base. Their overall business model is VERY different from the legacy Pioneer company(which I have great respect for). Pioneer DJ DOES excel at marketing which is why their market share is so strong.

The DJ community NEEDS more diversified product offerings. One or two companies should not have the power to dictate the future of any industry let alone the DJ industry. Embedded technology can offer an alternative to having to use a laptop. I believe diverse product offerings in the DJ community is a concept that should be embraced by all. Competition amongst companies brings more diverse products, more features and drives costs down. That is a win for consumers!
deejdave 8:07 PM - 17 March, 2016
Having one company handle every aspect on any given device (from hardware, to OS, to SW and everything in between) is not exactly what I would call diverse.

Furthermore a pro level device such as the SZ is already at a price point most are not willng to pay. Throwing a computer inside of it is not exactly the most effective way I can think of to drive costs down. Furthermore to add to this people will still need computers for their everyday life as well as their other professional music needs. SO not only is this saving people money but it is costing them more while providing less options.

In the end time will tell but it is pretty hard to ignore the obvious is all I am saying. We can speculate as to what would be good and what WE would want to see or we can simply state the obvious as to what IS happening as we speak.

Bottom line I fully agree with competition being good for the consumer but you are making it sound like you will be able to use ANY hardware and ANY DJ app you want if this were to happen. BOTH are false and you would be locked into which ever app it supports and must use whatever device it is installed in. I for one HATE limitations so this is certainly not for me.
Quote:
The only reason Pioneer DJ has given up on embedded is because there is more money to be made in licensing

The actual reason is because there was no money in the all-in-ones. The FIRST thing any unfortunate receiver of these all in ones (XDJ-R1, XDJ-RX, etc) ask is "why doesn't it connect to Serato or raktor, etc?" DO a search on these and you will literally see this is the most commonly asked question.

It's not like this hasn't been attempted. Stanton, Cortex, Pioneer, Gemini & more all attempted. While they lacked actual OS/software the fact remains there is not all that much of a gain to be had by adding such IMO.