DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Pointers for a first time bar gig

KrispyKay 4:46 PM - 19 November, 2014
Long story short, I'm DJ'ing at a local corner bar that I frequent fairly often. DJ'ing is just a small hobby of mine, but it came up during a conversation with the owner and he wanted me to play on a Friday/Saturday night but being that it would be my first gig I opted for a weeknight, that being tonight. (Last minute, I know).
I got a couple friends coming but I don't want to scare away the regulars by adhering to my friends' music tastes too much. The regulars range from random people in their 20's, to people in their 40's, 50's, and 60's.
I don't really expect a huge crowd or anybody to come in that wasn't planning on it so how much does the music I play really matter? Should i try to appease the owner and his friends?

It's a neighborhood corner bar in Philly so I figure I'll play some 90's classics, some funky hip-hop to get people moving a bit and maybe throw in some electro in there at some point. I'd also need to throw in some classics by Journey, Nirvana, etc. I'm sure but mixing those is going to be impossible...ideas?

Should I just go with a new "theme" every hour or so?
phonze 4:53 PM - 19 November, 2014
Sounds like a nice mix of music, well aside from throwing in the electro lol.
KrispyKay 4:54 PM - 19 November, 2014
I mean that'd be for my friends for the most part...bunch of college kids, you know...lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:26 PM - 19 November, 2014
Quote:
I mean that'd be for my friends for the most part...bunch of college kids, you know...lol

ya......not gonna fly
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:26 PM - 19 November, 2014
Quote:
Long story short, I'm DJ'ing at a local corner bar that I frequent fairly often. DJ'ing is just a small hobby of mine, but it came up during a conversation with the owner and he wanted me to play on a Friday/Saturday night but being that it would be my first gig I opted for a weeknight, that being tonight. (Last minute, I know).
I got a couple friends coming but I don't want to scare away the regulars by adhering to my friends' music tastes too much. The regulars range from random people in their 20's, to people in their 40's, 50's, and 60's.
I don't really expect a huge crowd or anybody to come in that wasn't planning on it so how much does the music I play really matter? Should i try to appease the owner and his friends?

It's a neighborhood corner bar in Philly so I figure I'll play some 90's classics, some funky hip-hop to get people moving a bit and maybe throw in some electro in there at some point. I'd also need to throw in some classics by Journey, Nirvana, etc. I'm sure but mixing those is going to be impossible...ideas?

Should I just go with a new "theme" every hour or so?

Quick question....how much are you makin at this gig
KrispyKay 5:36 PM - 19 November, 2014
Well he wants to see how I do so for today just free drinks pretty much.
I'm not planning on playing anything too crazy that would scare the rest of the crowd, but some upbeat almost pop songs would be fine I assumed.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:52 PM - 19 November, 2014
Quote:
Well he wants to see how I do so for today just free drinks pretty much........

sigh.....facepalm
DJ Remix Detroit 7:52 PM - 19 November, 2014
For an open format neighborhood bar, you might want to scan the billboard top 100 lists from the last 4 or 5 decades to start.

the biggest task for you is reading the crowd when it comes to places like this. but you should be able to keep everyones interest with the common classics.

are people going to be dancing at all?
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:54 PM - 19 November, 2014
Quote:

The owner will now that he has this jackass working for free to make him money
Gio Alex 7:57 PM - 19 November, 2014
Pay attention to the crowd and not your laptop screen. Make a good impression and keep the crowd going. If they're dancing all night play a crappy song here and there the keep them going to the bar.
DJ Remix Detroit 8:15 PM - 19 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Relax man, it's a wed night at a corner neighborhood bar. Plus, he said DJ'ing is a hobby, it's not like he's a gigging DJ with a resume trying to DJ at a multi level bar in a crowded college town.

1 night just to test the waters is not gonna hurt anyone. its a good chance for him to get in there and learn something so he can be ready for the weekend.
DJ Remix Detroit 8:17 PM - 19 November, 2014
Quote:
I'm not planning on playing anything too crazy that would scare the rest of the crowd, but some upbeat almost pop songs would be fine I assumed.

just to make sure I'm understanding, you are just playing free tonight, but you will get paid from then on out?
RonDu 8:22 PM - 19 November, 2014
Great way to get your feet wet in the club/bar scene. If you do well you will be getting paid to doyour hobby.
O.B.1 8:30 PM - 19 November, 2014
some bars have those interactive juke boxes that post the most popular played songs - so that might be a place to get some ideas too...
O.B.1 8:36 PM - 19 November, 2014
Also a good rule is instead of offering to play for free the first time (or drinks) only insist on payment if the owner does infact like your show enough to want to book you again. That way you can ask for a fair payment. And if they don't like it enough to book you again they didn't lose much except a few drinks...
AIRX ONE 8:36 PM - 19 November, 2014
Rule #1 don't drink Rule #2 don't play for drinks …. if you are just going to have a good time and thats it cool have a good night. But you are asking questions so this tells me you would like to make a good impression. so with that said Rules 1 and 2 apply
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:57 PM - 19 November, 2014
Quote:
Rule #1 don't drink Rule #2 don't play for drinks …. if you are just going to have a good time and thats it cool have a good night. But you are asking questions so this tells me you would like to make a good impression. so with that said Rules 1 and 2 apply

I totally disagree with rule 1 ESPECIALLY if your only payment is drinks! lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:57 PM - 19 November, 2014
Quote:
If you do well you will be getting paid to doyour hobby.

Or a long string of doing work people should be paid to do for free
Gio Alex 9:07 PM - 19 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I actually agree with #2

Playing for drinks only perpetuates the behavior of some bar managers thinking it's okay to pay djs in drinks or that's what they're worth. Fuck that, cut me a check or gimme my cash, I ain't some wino.
Joee 9:40 PM - 19 November, 2014
"Pointers for a first time bar gig"

don't dj for drinks!!!!!!!! unless it's for a bottle of louie the 13th---> www.binnys.com
Gio Alex 9:46 PM - 19 November, 2014
Quote:

don't dj for drinks!!!!!!!! unless it's for a bottle of louie the 13th---> www.binnys.com

WORD!!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:55 PM - 19 November, 2014
Quote:

lol, I did a party when I was first starting out where it was me and several DJs. I thought we were getting paid then found out it was for drinks. I told the owner if thats the case I needed a bottle. They gave me a bottle of crap vodka which I then begin to sell shots of at a discounted rate from the booth/table. After a while they caught on that tons of people were just buying soda and juice then v lining to the stage lol
Joee 9:57 PM - 19 November, 2014
Quote:
lol, I did a party when I was first starting out where it was me and several DJs. I thought we were getting paid then found out it was for drinks. I told the owner if thats the case I needed a bottle. They gave me a bottle of crap vodka which I then begin to sell shots of at a discounted rate from the booth/table. After a while they caught on that tons of people were just buying soda and juice then v lining to the stage lol

i love it…….lol, how much did you make enough to cover your services i hope
DJMark 11:14 PM - 19 November, 2014
Quote:
local corner bar
Quote:
throw in some electro in there at some point.

There are some things that do not go well together and these are two of them.
KrispyKay 11:43 PM - 19 November, 2014
Yeah I'm getting paid next week. He suggested that I play on the weekend but this being my first gig, I figured a weeknight wouldn't hurt. I know the bartender well, plus I'm bringing in a decent size crowd for a wednesday. Don't plan on drinking more than like 3-4 beers during my set, but I'm done at 1 so that gives me a whole hour (plus after hours) of free drinking.

So no, not planning on DJ'ing for free forever. That does bring on the next question though, how much should I charge him for a weeknight and later on weekend night?
He has the speakers so all I bring is my laptops and a controller. Then lights if this works out but keep in mind, very much a beginner now so it's very basic.
AIRX ONE 3:06 AM - 20 November, 2014
My starting price is $350.00 for 4hrs if do not have to bring sound
AIRX ONE 3:08 AM - 20 November, 2014
If i was you id start out at $200.00 and down the road work on $200.00 + % of the bar sales
AIRX ONE 3:12 AM - 20 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I totally disagree with rule 1 ESPECIALLY if your only payment is drinks! lol

LOL Skip rule 1 and pls go Rule 2 :)
DJ Remix Detroit 11:36 AM - 20 November, 2014
Seeing that you have never gigged before and this has been just a hobby, you are going to look insane charging $350 for a first time wed, night.

That's like a high school kid applying at Mcdonalds asking for $50,000/yr.

The part of establishing relationships in the DJ business often calls for you to be flexible and humble at times..... but also not allowing yourself to get ran over and played as well.

Seeing that this is a small neighbor corner bar, i don't think it would hurt to hang out on the 1weds night and try it out as strictly a test run. Just make sure you are getting paid after that. And have your price established before hand so you and the owner are on the same page.

If you DJ for free after that 1st weds night... then yeah, you def are cutting yourself short.

keep us posted on how it goes, I'm interested in hearing about it.
Taipanic 5:31 PM - 20 November, 2014
What are other DJs making in your area? Are there a lot of DJ opportunities? Excess number of DJs looking for gigs? What kind of money is the bar making on that night? Pay SHOULD be based on experience but often never is. Some areas can pull that kind of money but I bet there are more cats working bars for $100 night than any other amount. Sucks but it's been that way since the 80's and is only getting worse in these "Everybody's a DJ" times.
Sally Jessy Raphael 6:36 PM - 20 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

You sound like loads of fun.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:55 PM - 20 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am, especially with all the money I make from doing the exact same thing that asshat will be doing for free.:)
Sally Jessy Raphael 8:31 PM - 20 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am, especially with all the money I make from doing the exact same thing that asshat will be doing for free.:)

But you're not doing the same exact thing... you've established yourself over the years and now you're making money off it. Highly doubt you walked into a club and demanded whatever your rate is now.

My first gig was five years ago working for next to nothing at a bar on weeknights because I was friendly with the staff. Now I'm at that same bar nearly every Friday & Saturday getting paid a good flat rate because of my persistence and reliability over the years.
 6 8:47 PM - 20 November, 2014
Next to nothing seems to be better than free.

nm
 6 8:48 PM - 20 November, 2014
Walmart employees make next to nothing compared to other people in the same line of work but they're still getting something. Lol

nm
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:48 PM - 20 November, 2014
Quote:
Next to nothing seems to be better than free.

nm

This!
DJ Remix Detroit 4:36 AM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
My first gig was five years ago working for next to nothing at a bar on weeknights because I was friendly with the staff. Now I'm at that same bar nearly every Friday & Saturday getting paid a good flat rate because of my persistence and reliability over the years.

yup! you gotta crawl before you walk.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:20 AM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

yup! you gotta crawl before you walk.

yup! And not getting paid is not crawling, its sitting in one place hoping if you sit there long enough the place your going will come to you
DJ Remix Detroit 11:49 AM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
yup! And not getting paid is not crawling, its sitting in one place hoping if you sit there long enough the place your going will come to you

true if :

I'd agree whole heartedly if the guy was an established dj with a resume. but he said it himself that it's just a hobby.

it just so happened that he was at the bar talking about his hobby and the owner brought it up and they agreed wednesday would be a test drive.

it's not the guy is hauling a full speaker setup and light rig.... he's just bringing his laptop and controller in on a dead night just to get a feel of him doing there.

once the test night is over with,, then he gets paid from then on.

i don't think it's reasonable at all for a hobbyist to give someone a few hours of a test ride.

same reason why the dealership doesn't charge you mileage for a test drive.
DJ Remix Detroit 11:50 AM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
i don't think it's reasonable at all for a hobbyist to give someone a few hours of a test ride.

*unreasonable
 6 2:40 PM - 21 November, 2014
A hobbyist belongs in the bedroom.

nm
 6 2:48 PM - 21 November, 2014
And I've said this before....

When I started DJing, it was also a hobby and for fun. However, when I first was asked to do a party for a friend, I charged him cause I knew it involved work. It was common sense. I didn't go on a forum and asked people if I should charge like many have plus back then DJ forums didn't even exist I don't think lol.

I've noticed over the years, especially with the development of DVS, people somewhow think its to go from the bedroom to an audience from a club or bar without getting some type of experience first.

And yes, you don't have the experience if you have to ask anybody else what to do.

The best route would be to tag along another DJ and learn from them AND possibly not get paid to do a set or something as you'll be there like an apprentice - not the main DJ. (No snaking).

Again, crawl before you walk.

DJ's nowadays want to take over a club within 6 months or less of DJing without any sort of real experience or passed down knowledge from a trusted DJ.

nm
DJ Remix Detroit 3:06 PM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:

unless he's hanging out at the neighborhood bar on the corner, and him and the owner are cool and just want to try something new out on a slow night,

from the sound of it, it sounds like the owner has never had a dj before. i could be wrong though

i could see if he planned on djing every weekend for drinks.... but it's 1 trial run on a slow night....
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:07 PM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:

When I started DJing, it was also a hobby and for fun. However, when I first was asked to do a party for a friend, I charged him cause I knew it involved work. It was common sense. I didn't go on a forum and asked people if I should charge like many have plus back then DJ forums didn't even exist I don't think lol.

I've noticed over the years, especially with the development of DVS, people somewhow think its to go from the bedroom to an audience from a club or bar without getting some type of experience first.

And yes, you don't have the experience if you have to ask anybody else what to do.

The best route would be to tag along another DJ and learn from them AND possibly not get paid to do a set or something as you'll be there like an apprentice - not the main DJ. (No snaking).

DJ's nowadays want to take over a club within 6 months or less of DJing without any sort of real experience or passed down knowledge from a trusted DJ.

nm

this, if cooking was a hobby would you go work at a Mcdonalds for a few hours for free just to see if youd like it?
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:11 PM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

unless he's hanging out at the neighborhood bar on the corner, and him and the owner are cool and just want to try something new out on a slow night,

from the sound of it, it sounds like the owner has never had a dj before. i could be wrong though

i could see if he planned on djing every weekend for drinks.... but it's 1 trial run on a slow night....
Its much easier to start off with a price than to start for free and try to work your way into getting paid. If the owners never had a DJ he needs to know from the jump its a job and jobs equal money of some sort. this way our friend here disent get roped into playing for for drinks for a few Months then the next dj having to go through the "why should I pay you I can get people to di this for free speech"
DJ Remix Detroit 3:17 PM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
this way our friend here disent get roped into playing for for drinks for a few Months

this is not the case... he clearly stated that:
Quote:
Yeah I'm getting paid next week. ... I figured a weeknight wouldn't hurt.

Quote:
So no, not planning on DJ'ing for free forever.

so yeah, if he were committing to playing for several nights for drinks.... you'd be spot on. but that's clearly not the scenario
DJ Remix Detroit 3:20 PM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
if cooking was a hobby would you go work at a Mcdonalds for a few hours for free just to see if youd like it?

if you worked at mcdonalds for for a few hours as a test run you'd make around $21.... minus taxes you'd be around $17.

drinks are around $5-$7 average, so he'd actually be making out better trying the bar out for 1 night.
DJ Remix Detroit 3:21 PM - 21 November, 2014
and like i said before, you wouldn't go into mcdonalds asking for $50,000/yr either.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:55 PM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
and like i said before, you wouldn't go into mcdonalds asking for $50,000/yr either.

you would if you were applying to be a manager
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:56 PM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:

We're not telling him to ask for a 401k and a signing bonus. Just get paid something for work
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:58 PM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
if cooking was a hobby would you go work at a Mcdonalds for a few hours for free just to see if youd like it?

if you worked at mcdonalds for for a few hours as a test run you'd make around $21.... minus taxes you'd be around $17.

drinks are around $5-$7 average, so he'd actually be making out better trying the bar out for 1 night.
How many of those drinks will the power company accept as payment for monthly bills?

Also drinks are NOT $5 to $7 average if you just buy a bottle and spin with your friends at the house #hobby
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:58 PM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
this way our friend here disent get roped into playing for for drinks for a few Months

this is not the case... he clearly stated that:
Quote:
Yeah I'm getting paid next week. ... I figured a weeknight wouldn't hurt.

Quote:
So no, not planning on DJ'ing for free forever.

so yeah, if he were committing to playing for several nights for drinks.... you'd be spot on. but that's clearly not the scenario

He hasnt gotten paid a dime yet so we still dont know if this is true or not.
DJ DisGrace 4:00 PM - 21 November, 2014
I've got to agree with Bezzle that getting "paid next week" is easy to say, at this point. When it comes down to actually getting paid, the precedent has been set, and the price range to be discussed during negotiations includes $0.00 and/or free drinks.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:12 PM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
I've got to agree with Bezzle that getting "paid next week" is easy to say, at this point. When it comes down to actually getting paid, the precedent has been set, and the price range to be discussed during negotiations includes $0.00 and/or free drinks.

yup, heres how this plays out, hell play wed and the owner will say you did great! I want to give you a try on Fri/Sat (the owner originally asked for him to play fri/sat but the op talked himself out if it, the owner wants a fri/sat dj). So our friend will show up and play Sat and at the end of the night the owner will tell him that they didnt do as good as he thought they would at the bar so he cant pay him THAT night but he feels they can build the nightm Our friend will play a few more Sats, the bar will do great, and after a few weeks pay will be brought back up and the owner will act confused and say what pay, we have a deal you play for drinks. If our friend pushes the issue he might get a $50 tip out. The next few the owner will be hard to find at the end of the night and finally the dj will say fuck this. The owner will put out a craigslist add for another DJ and when that next one comes in the owner will say "pay you? Why should I pay you when the last guy did it for drinks!"
DJ Remix Detroit 4:44 PM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

yup, heres how this plays out, hell play wed and the owner will say you did great! I want to give you a try on Fri/Sat (the owner originally asked for him to play fri/sat but the op talked himself out if it, the owner wants a fri/sat dj). So our friend will show up and play Sat and at the end of the night the owner will tell him that they didnt do as good as he thought they would at the bar so he cant pay him THAT night but he feels they can build the nightm Our friend will play a few more Sats, the bar will do great, and after a few weeks pay will be brought back up and the owner will act confused and say what pay, we have a deal you play for drinks. If our friend pushes the issue he might get a $50 tip out. The next few the owner will be hard to find at the end of the night and finally the dj will say fuck this. The owner will put out a craigslist add for another DJ and when that next one comes in the owner will say "pay you? Why should I pay you when the last guy did it for drinks!"

that's clearly an assumption, we can only wait for him to report back and lay down the facts.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:13 PM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

that's clearly an assumption, we can only wait for him to report back and lay down the facts.

lol, of course it is, we're talking about shit that hasent happened yet its all assumptions.....except for him playing for free thats a fact and that fact is setting a presidence
AIRX ONE 5:14 PM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:

nm
This #truth I've been in this game for 18 years played countless house parties for next nothing in most cases nothing. I did not spin my first rave until year 2 for $200 … I wish you the best of luck but at the same time someone with more experience should get the job. with that said ask your self this why is he picking you over someone with more experience… maybe to take
advantage of you …. just a thought
 6 5:35 PM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

It baffles me that you don't think getting paid with drinks is idiotic. For one, no drink costs $5-$7 bucks to the owner. Try maybe a $1 if that. Then, what kind of person would would his employed drunk while trying to entertain. So, he's expecting him to not be drunk, and get as few drinks as possible. The owner probably won't spend more than $30 on drinks for this guy.

So $30 to DJ for a while night, bring you shit? Yeah. Seems like an awesome deal.
/sarcasm

nm
 6 5:37 PM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
... the precedent has been set, and the price range to be discussed during negotiations includes $0.00 and/or free drinks.

Exactly. History will tell you that it is harder to get a raise than to get a cut in salary.

nm
 6 5:38 PM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol, of course it is, we're talking about shit that hasent happened yet its all assumptions.....except for him playing for free thats a fact and that fact is setting a presidence

Yup

nm
 6 5:40 PM - 21 November, 2014
"… I wish you the best of luck but at the same time someone with more experience should get the job. with that said ask your self this why is he picking you over someone with more experience… maybe to take
advantage of you …. just a thought"

Yup. Economics.

nm
 6 5:43 PM - 21 November, 2014
And "trial runs" are a joke to me. Anyone who says that to you is most likely trying to take advantage of you.

I've had the owner of a bar ask me to come DJ one night for free to see if I'm fit for the job. My response. Nope. This is what I actually did. I gave him a 30 min live demo while the bar was barely opening. Played for no one except him, the manager, and the bartenders. After said 30 mins, he asked me to stay after we agreed on a price. Got paid and the rest is history. DJ'ed at that bar twice a week for 2 years.

nm
DJ DisGrace 5:47 PM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
And "trial runs" are a joke to me. Anyone who says that to you is most likely trying to take advantage of you.

I've had the owner of a bar ask me to come DJ one night for free to see if I'm fit for the job. My response. Nope. This is what I actually did. I gave him a 30 min live demo while the bar was barely opening. Played for no one except him, the manager, and the bartenders. After said 30 mins, he asked me to stay after we agreed on a price. Got paid and the rest is history. DJ'ed at that bar twice a week for 2 years.

nm

+1

I've never played for free. The only time is like the situation you described, where I played for 30mins before the club even opened. Me, the manager, bartenders. I was new in town and was pushing for gigs at the larger established venues.

When trying to upsell video, I'll often mix videos for the same price as "music only", but even then just ONE TIME to effectively show management the advantages of video.
 6 6:22 PM - 21 November, 2014
Agreed. I do the same with videos. It doesn't cost me anything extra - anymore. At the beginning, when I was getting my library on point, I charged a premium charge for said videos but now that my library is on point and I've made my money back for the music library, I don't charge a premium price anymore. It's an incentive now.

nm
DJ Remix Detroit 4:13 AM - 22 November, 2014
Quote:
When trying to upsell video, I'll often mix videos for the same price as "music only", but even then just ONE TIME to effectively show management the advantages of video.

that's the same thing he's doing.....giving a one time preview to effectively show the owner the advantages of having a dj.

if his first night was going to be on a busy fri or sat night, then yeah, he should expect cash the first time..... but a slow week night to just bring in a laptop and controller and play for a couple hours just to test the waters.... is not unreasonable.
 6 5:44 AM - 22 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

that's the same thing he's doing.....giving a one time preview to effectively show the owner the advantages of having a dj.

Not at all. You're missing the word "upsell".... which means, he's already selling something. He's only upselling the video part.

nm
 6 5:45 AM - 22 November, 2014
"but a slow week night to just bring in a laptop and controller and play for a couple hours just to test the waters.... is not unreasonable."

and I missed the part where he said a "couple hours". Can you please point me to that?

nm
 6 5:50 AM - 22 November, 2014
and pay attention to this very carefully.

"I know the bartender well, plus I'm bringing in a decent size crowd for a wednesday. Don't plan on drinking more than like 3-4 beers during my set, but I'm done at 1 so that gives me a whole hour (plus after hours) of free drinking."

1. He's bringing a decent size crowd. <--- that alone says he should get paid.
2. ...but I'm done at 1 <--- definitely not two hours.

So, again, SHOULD have charged on top of free drinks even if it was only $50 bucks (though, since he's bringing people, I'm sure $100 doesn't sound unreasonable since they will probably spend 3 times as much on alcohol).

nm
 6 5:51 AM - 22 November, 2014
and forgot this one which I pointed to earlier....

3. Don't plan on drinking more than like 3-4 beers during my set <--- so getting paid with drinks is even more ridiculous considering said drinks won't cost the owner much.

nm
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:39 PM - 22 November, 2014
Quote:
and pay attention to this very carefully.

"I know the bartender well, plus I'm bringing in a decent size crowd for a wednesday. Don't plan on drinking more than like 3-4 beers during my set, but I'm done at 1 so that gives me a whole hour (plus after hours) of free drinking."

1. He's bringing a decent size crowd. <--- that alone says he should get paid.
2. ...but I'm done at 1 <--- definitely not two hours.

So, again, SHOULD have charged on top of free drinks even if it was only $50 bucks (though, since he's bringing people, I'm sure $100 doesn't sound unreasonable since they will probably spend 3 times as much on alcohol).

nm

Quote:
and forgot this one which I pointed to earlier....

3. Don't plan on drinking more than like 3-4 beers during my set <--- so getting paid with drinks is even more ridiculous considering said drinks won't cost the owner much.

nm

yup, now he's DJing AND promoting for....whats 3 beers cost...$6?
Dj Shamann 9:28 PM - 22 November, 2014
He's bringing people, he should get paid, done deal.
KrispyKay 2:41 AM - 3 December, 2014
Sorry it's been a while guys...forgot about this post honestly.
I didn't play last Wednesday as it was basically a weekend night being the night before Thanksgiving so he had a DJ booked a couple weeks in advance.

I'm playing tomorrow night and getting a 100 bucks which I think is fair, it's still a learning experience for me. Just as the first Wednesday night was, which is why I didn't feel the need to charge him for anything. He was technically doing me a favor of letting me play in front of a crowd as a learning experience, depends how you look at it.
To whoever said if it's a hobby so I should just stay a "bedroom DJ," really? I wasn't aware everyone was at a gig the first time they ever touched a vinyl/controller...you start somewhere.

Also, going back to playing for drinks, I had about 4-5 beers between 9 and 1, but the bar stayed open after hours so I've drank plenty. Granted didn't cost the owner $200 but I'm sure if I was paying I would've spent well over $100 so frankly, I'm not concerned as I got to go out and have a fun night for free.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:00 PM - 3 December, 2014
Quote:

I'm playing tomorrow night and getting a 100 bucks which I think is fair, it's still a learning experience for me. Just as the first Wednesday night was, which is why I didn't feel the need to charge him for anything.

see told you. do work get paid!

Quote:

He was technically doing me a favor of letting me play in front of a crowd as a learning experience, depends how you look at it.

100% WRONG, he's not "doing you a favor", your providing a service, a service that is generating him income and helping his busniess. There are a million ways to play in front of a crowd that do not involve him. its this mentality that fucks up new djs and hurts us all.

Quote:

To whoever said if it's a hobby so I should just stay a "bedroom DJ," really? I wasn't aware everyone was at a gig the first time they ever touched a vinyl/controller...you start somewhere.

Yes, and that somwhere is the bedroom and house partys, where hobbyists belong.

Quote:

Also, going back to playing for drinks, I had about 4-5 beers between 9 and 1, but the bar stayed open after hours so I've drank plenty. Granted didn't cost the owner $200 but I'm sure if I was paying I would've spent well over $100 so frankly, I'm not concerned as I got to go out and have a fun night for free.

Did the bar stay open later because it was busy? If so YOU'RE the reason and the bar probably made buku bucks because of it so the $100 you drank (which probably cost the bar $20) prob pales into what they made.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:01 PM - 3 December, 2014
At night the streets are filled with whores turnin tricks who swear they are doin their pimp a favor. Dont be a dj whore!
DJ Remy USA 3:18 PM - 3 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

just to make sure I'm understanding, you are just playing free tonight, but you will get paid from then on out?

Nope hes never gonna get paid the owner knows he's taking advantage of the kid and if the owner does pay him one day it will never be much money and he will surely be replaced by the next free hack DJ.

New DJs stop this nonsense, new employees still get paid so should new DJs. Playing for free never helps you and never believe anyone who says playing for free helps you IT NEVER HELPS YOU.
phonze 3:23 PM - 3 December, 2014
I can understand dropping in early and playing an 30 min/hour set so they can see how you are. But to do an entire night for free, is that really necessary? Doesn't seem fair to me.
DJ Remy USA 3:25 PM - 3 December, 2014
Quote:

nm

This right here
DJ Remy USA 3:29 PM - 3 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

this sounds about where the OP is headed...Ive been burned like this when I first started out.
 6 6:10 PM - 3 December, 2014
Quote:
At night the streets are filled with whores turnin tricks who swear they are doin their pimp a favor. Dont be a dj whore!

lol

nm