Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Buying a Mac Book Pro with working Video Card for VideoSL (AMD Radeon HD 6770M ?

BAESIC 4:07 AM - 6 November, 2014
I have been shopping for hours and researching to buy a Mac Book Pro that will definitely work with Serato VideoSL, which I have purchased and Pioneer DDJ SX, that I have been using since October 2013. Any replies with information on solid Mac Book Pro 15" Laptops (and graphics card specs) running Serato VideoSL without problems are appreciated!

These are the specs from a potential purchase (will the graphics card work? will there be hiccups from the ?) ;

MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.4 15-Inch (Late 2011) features a 32 nm "Sandy Bridge" 2.4 GHz Intel "Core i7" processor (2760QM), with four independent processor "cores" on a single silicon chip, a 6 MB shared level 3 cache, 16 GB of 1333 MHz DDR3 SDRAM installed in pairs (two 8 GB modules), a 1 TB Serial ATA (5400 RPM) hard drive, an 8X DL "SuperDrive", dual graphics processors -- an AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 1 GB of dedicated GDDR5 memory and an Intel HD Graphics 3000 graphics processor that shares 384 MB of memory with the system
DJ.WAZZA.AU 4:18 AM - 6 November, 2014
Yes that will work
BAESIC 4:31 AM - 6 November, 2014
Thanks Wazza.au, fingers are crossed this works out, been wanting to do video for awhile now and saved for the investment. Just bought the Mac Book Pro with those specs. Anyone using Mac Book Pros 2011 and up for Video SL List your graphics card specs and help others out. It took a lot of time and research because of all kinds of conflicting info, including AMD processors not working and the dual video processors with intel. When you're shelling out over a grand it's nice to know that what you are getting is going to work! Peace!
Code:E 3:48 AM - 7 November, 2014
Quote:
Yes that will work

Quote:
gers are crossed this works out,

No need it will work.
Code:E 3:49 AM - 7 November, 2014
Now you might get issues with Video SL. But Serato Video should be better and Mix Emergency will be the best.
BAESIC 5:21 PM - 8 November, 2014
Code:E, thanks for the reply, Mac Book Pro in hand today, downloading Serato DJ 1.7.1 for it to run on the Pioneer DDJ-SX first. I am primarily aiming to run Serato Video (to clarify). I also have a SL-1 box and a SL-3 box. I will try to give an update on installation and how Serato Video is running with the DDJ-SX once installed.
BAESIC 5:24 PM - 8 November, 2014
I suppose the first thing I might upgrade on the laptop would be the hard drive, as it's 5400rpm... maybe solid state in the near future.
dj jamalot 3:57 PM - 9 November, 2014
i run a same spec 17 in with perfect results not a single issue it actually outperforms my late 2013 i5 2.9 ghz iMac i use at my residency, that i7 is a beast and the graphics cards work great.
dj jamalot 3:59 PM - 9 November, 2014
And the 5400 rpm hard drive is not an issue with mine as it only holds music all video is stored on a External WD Firewire 800.
$amThadj 2:45 PM - 19 November, 2014
I am looking to upgrade my Macbook pro its a 2008, 4Gb RAM, Duo core,
Dual Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
and NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB
Seagate SSD 1tb Hybrid

I am on Scratch Live and Serato Video

I have never had issues really but now it seems to lag while loading and occasionally freezing the videos for a few secs while loading and i am itching to upgrade. Now what are your specs that are not all out on the 3k side that can comfortably handle the job? MUST be a MAC, a TB of disc space, 3.0 usb for speed, I dont care about Retinas other than the ones in my eyes :). Beat my present one on the graphics card. Highest i am willing to spend it $2500. I have been thinking of this but i don't know anyone that has it and how it handles itself on Serato video ..
store.apple.com
dj jamalot 8:35 PM - 19 November, 2014
I have a 2009 2.8 core 2 duo 8 gigs of ram 256 samsung SSD with a 512 fb nvidia 9400 / 9600 but it's been retired for some time I could see it struggling on SDJ. So I now use i5 and i7 only for video working great.
FunkyRob 7:04 PM - 27 December, 2014
Is this the same one? Seeing some good deals on ebay.

www.everymac.com

I like that it has Firewire & Thunderbolt. Not ready to start replacing all of my external drives.
dj jamalot 7:59 PM - 27 December, 2014
Quote:
Is this the same one? Seeing some good deals on ebay.

www.everymac.com

I like that it has Firewire & Thunderbolt. Not ready to start replacing all of my external drives.

That's the one... Well late 2011 but yup that's what i use...
FunkyRob 8:41 PM - 27 December, 2014
cool, do you have a video out adapter you recommend? I need an HDMI output.
dj jamalot 9:10 PM - 27 December, 2014
i use the cheapest one at best buy i bought 2 works just fine...
DJ Tecniq 4:20 AM - 28 December, 2014
Been using this to run videos. The one from Apple finally crapped out on me. This one u feel does a finer job and tighter connection👍 www.radioshack.com
DJ Tecniq 4:20 AM - 28 December, 2014
I feel*
Frankie Glasses 9:20 PM - 30 December, 2014
Hey guys looking into this one for myself:

Late 2011 15" MBP (10.10.1 OSX Yosemite)
Processor: 2.4GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 8gb 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
Drive: 256SSD

I run SSL or SDJ w/ME

What do you guys think?
Code:E 10:41 PM - 30 December, 2014
SSL with ME yes. SDJ with ME, I don't think so.
Code:E 10:41 PM - 30 December, 2014
It also has a 2nd video card you didn't list.
Frankie Glasses 10:50 PM - 30 December, 2014
Quote:

Why not with SDJ & ME?
Frankie Glasses 11:21 PM - 30 December, 2014
How about this one?
Specifications:

Display: 15.4-inch LED-backlit Retina display with IPS technology; 2880-by-1800 native resolution at 220 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors

Processor: 2.7 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.7 GHz) with 6 MB L3 cache

Storage: 512 GB SSD

Memory: 16 GB DDR3L memory

Graphics: Dual graphics processors

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M (with 1 GB of GDDR5 discrete video memory) and integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000
Video

Thunderbolt digital video output (native Mini DisplayPort output); compatible with DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI output using optional adapters; support for dual display and video mirroring

Audio: Dual microphones; headphone/optical digital audio output (minijack); support for Apple
and Expansion*

Two Thunderbolt ports (up to 10 Gbps)

Two USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
HDMI port
SDXC card slot
Headphone port
MagSafe 2 power port
Communications: 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking (802.11a/b/g compatible); Bluetooth 4.0
Camera: 720p FaceTime HD camera

Software: Yosemite (Operating System)
Code:E 12:32 AM - 31 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Why not with SDJ & ME?

Cause SDJ sucks and requires more power. That's more of a question for Serato than me. Also don't use Serato Video again same problem. Yes it will work but to work well it needs to me SSL and ME.

I have a new top end 15 inch MacBook pro and it doesn't run Serato DJ with ME (and CDJ 2000s in HID mode) very well. I'm still using SSL. I want to switch, but that stupid CPU light comes on all the time. And as soon as I move to SDJ I know I'm going to want to run Pitch N Time as well.
Frankie Glasses 12:35 AM - 31 December, 2014
Do you think that ME is the problem?
Frankie Glasses 12:36 AM - 31 December, 2014
Also, do you get dropouts, crashes or studdering when you use SDJ w/ME? or is it just the CPU light that you are worried about.
Code:E 12:38 AM - 31 December, 2014
Quote:
Do you think that ME is the problem?

No ME is the solution. It runs everything so much better. Hell running ME on my system adds very little stress.
Code:E 12:39 AM - 31 December, 2014
Quote:
Also, do you get dropouts, crashes or studdering when you use SDJ w/ME? or is it just the CPU light that you are worried about.

honestly I haven't used SDJ enough to know and I haven't used it since SDJ 1.5 because HID mode is so bad in Serato DJ.
Code:E 12:40 AM - 31 December, 2014
Quote:
How about this one?
Specifications:

Display: 15.4-inch LED-backlit Retina display with IPS technology; 2880-by-1800 native resolution at 220 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors

Processor: 2.7 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.7 GHz) with 6 MB L3 cache

Storage: 512 GB SSD

Memory: 16 GB DDR3L memory

Graphics: Dual graphics processors

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M (with 1 GB of GDDR5 discrete video memory) and integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000
Video

Thunderbolt digital video output (native Mini DisplayPort output); compatible with DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI output using optional adapters; support for dual display and video mirroring

Audio: Dual microphones; headphone/optical digital audio output (minijack); support for Apple
and Expansion*

Two Thunderbolt ports (up to 10 Gbps)

Two USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
HDMI port
SDXC card slot
Headphone port
MagSafe 2 power port
Communications: 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking (802.11a/b/g compatible); Bluetooth 4.0
Camera: 720p FaceTime HD camera

Software: Yosemite (Operating System)

That's not a bad computer you should be ok with that one for a couple of years.
Frankie Glasses 12:42 AM - 31 December, 2014
Reason i ask is because it seems SDJ perfomrs better without ME and have almost no issues on my current MBP. I was hoping if i upgraded to a better mac it would solve most of my issues. I read other posts that they run SDJ & ME with no issues on higher spec macs than mine.
djdonnydee 4:58 AM - 6 January, 2015
just recently bought a used MBP Early 2011 2.3GHz with 1GB card using 2 internal HD with SDJ and ME thing works great. My old MBP 2009 w/256M card use to peak the audio and USB all the time. Now it doesnt even come close to peaking with internet and other apps on.Thanks to Code:E for his advice.
DJ Tecniq 3:23 PM - 7 January, 2015
Quote:
just recently bought a used MBP Early 2011 2.3GHz with 1GB card using 2 internal HD with SDJ and ME thing works great. My old MBP 2009 w/256M card use to peak the audio and USB all the time. Now it doesnt even come close to peaking with internet and other apps on.Thanks to Code:E for his advice.
awesome it may not be able to run video but you can try👍
dj fiddler254 6:04 AM - 17 February, 2016
Hi guys i want to purchase a macbook pro for video mixing/recording video mixtapes but i dont know the exact specs to shop for that will give me good service and is ebay or amazone a trusted site or i will be risking my cash?
DJ Tecniq 1:04 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:
Hi guys i want to purchase a macbook pro for video mixing/recording video mixtapes but i dont know the exact specs to shop for that will give me good service and is ebay or amazone a trusted site or i will be risking my cash?
At least a 2012 MacBook Pro or above with high definition Nvidea card, 4 gigs ram or more.
popnwave 4:54 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:

You can troll ebay for one, just make sure the seller has a long history with good transactions.

www.macsales.com gets older 2012 models in occasionally, just make sure it has the dedicated/discreet video card.

Craigslist is an option if you are in a big enough market, usually a university town will be a treasure trove of used Macs. Just follow same precautions, have people show you a working product, verify serial # and specs in OS X in person and do it in a safe, public location.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 6:07 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
awesome it may not be able to run video but you can try👍

That 2011 should be just fine, I have the same model and it run SDJ, ME and Resolume with no problem.
popnwave 7:19 PM - 17 February, 2016
eshop.macsales.com

This machine is pretty loaded, nice cheap but it's the last of the expandable body types that you can drop a 2TB internal drive in the optibay.
popnwave 7:19 PM - 17 February, 2016
nice = not :D
dj fiddler254 6:38 PM - 15 March, 2016
Hi thanks for the advice @djtecnic and @popnwave.
I have done research and came across a 13.3" MacBook pro (mid 2010)
-OS X El Capitain
-version 10.11.13
-2(2gb) memory slots each @1067 MHz DDR3
-250GB HDD
-Nvidia GeForce 320m 256mb

Will it give me good response in live video mix and live video recording?
Your feedback are highly appreciated.
dj jamalot 7:06 PM - 15 March, 2016
By the size of the video ram I doubt it...
dj fiddler254 7:11 PM - 15 March, 2016
What if I upgrade it, my seller is requesting for 500$ is it worthy, she's used it minimal times.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 8:44 PM - 15 March, 2016
15" 2011 and up if you want absolutely no problems at all.......
popnwave 9:20 PM - 15 March, 2016
Quote:
What if I upgrade it, my seller is requesting for 500$ is it worthy, she's used it minimal times.

I used to rock out with a 2009 one with similar video RAM when I first used Scratch Live. You can pull off SD videos (up to 480p) without a problem, but when you start anything in HD you're going to get a ton of stuttering between the slower processor and less video RAM.

I personally would not pay more than $250 for video use.