Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Serato Video Buffer Size for my new Macbook Pro 15 Retina

Dj Toobs 4:59 AM - 27 October, 2014
My old MBP13 only had a Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB and therefore i was recommended to set my video buffer under 384mb. After following all the suggested presets for Serato Video, i would still run into problems here and there when video mixing. So i am finally updating my Macbook pro from a 13inch late 2011 to a new Macbook Pro 15 Retina 2014. Here are my new MBP15 specs:
• 2.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
• 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
• 1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage
• Intel Iris Pro Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory

My question is, where should i now set my video buffer size to?
Is there anything else i should adjust with this switch to a 15inch w/ProGrapics?

Thanks
DJMark 6:08 AM - 27 October, 2014
Since you just spent all that money on a new MBP, I'd suggest dropping another $199 on......

Oh, and stay away from Yosemite for now.
Code:E 8:13 AM - 27 October, 2014
Oh just say it mark. Check out mix emergency before you jump too far into Serato video.
PopRoXxX 8:13 PM - 28 October, 2014
Quote:
Since you just spent all that money on a new MBP, I'd suggest dropping another $199 on......

Lol
Dj Toobs 5:01 PM - 29 October, 2014
MixEmergency? how is this compare, (Serato's own software vs 3rd party software)? MixEmergency website doesn't really explain anything and all the tutorials are weak. Where can i see this bad boy in real action? if its going to save me from headaches like SL Video and Serato Video has for the past 3 years, then i do not mind spending $199.

but for now, i need to know the answer to my question:
My question is, where should i now set my video buffer size to?
PopRoXxX 5:07 PM - 29 October, 2014
Totally worth the $199 homie. Hands down
Dj Toobs 5:26 PM - 29 October, 2014
Coo. Then its a mandatory investment.
Do you guys recommend me stay with Scratch Live or should i make the switch to Serato DJ?
PopRoXxX 5:38 PM - 29 October, 2014
Oh yeah. If you're serious about video, it's definitely a must have. I have both ME and Serato Video, but I use ME all the time. The stability vs usability vs features makes it FTW

It works with both SSL & SDJ, but SDJ 1.7.2 is looking like it's going to be an amazing release for the DVS side once all the driver bugs get sorted out. I would jump on the beta and run the crap out of it and put in any bug/hang/crash reports that you may encounter.

I still play on SSL 2.5 all the time as well with my 57 to this day. Whatever is best for you is what I would go with. But any help on the BETA will make this release that's coming even better ;)
Dj Toobs 6:38 PM - 29 October, 2014
Question regarding ME. Do i still need to convert the videos to the recommended Serato Video Presets using Handbreak?
PopRoXxX 6:50 PM - 29 October, 2014
Yeah. You can do that. Or just make/convert your MP4's/MOV's with MPEGStreamclip as well. It plays it all and better
Code:E 6:55 PM - 29 October, 2014
Quote:
Yeah. You can do that. Or just make/convert your MP4's/MOV's with MPEGStreamclip as well. It plays it all and better

I like mpeg stream clip much better than handbrake.
Dj Toobs 6:58 PM - 29 October, 2014
One last question before i purchase this. Does it automatically work with Rane Sixty-Two or would i have to midi map everything?
PopRoXxX 9:13 PM - 29 October, 2014
Any device native to Serato works natively with ME
Code:E 6:54 PM - 30 October, 2014
Quote:
One last question before i purchase this. Does it automatically work with Rane Sixty-Two or would i have to midi map everything?

This shouldn't scare you. Midi mapping is easy and give you the ability to customize your setup.
Dj Toobs 8:57 PM - 31 October, 2014
ME is $149 not $199, so its even a better deal. i purchased it and i am impressed.

Even with my new macbook pro 15, Serato Video was still be tripping. it keep on Quiting Unexpectedly and it would come back up and then quit again. I will stop using it from now on.

I did a 2 hour 45 minute practice session using Mix Emergency Video mixing and not once did i have a problem. Wow, thats what up!
Code:E 10:44 PM - 31 October, 2014
Quote:
Wow, thats what up!

we might be assholes, and cynical pricks from time to time. but our advice is true.
Dj Toobs 11:17 PM - 1 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Wow, thats what up!

we might be assholes, and cynical pricks from time to time. but our advice is true.

Thank you for your advice.
My Halloween gig last night was great. Didn't have any issue with ME like i use to with Serato Video. I guess there is no use for SV.

For anyone having issues withe SV, I recommend the $149 investment for MixEmergency.