DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

consequences of not breaking in ortofon OM s-120's???

DJ Vtoner 1:41 AM - 22 October, 2014
So I've had a pair of ortofon OM s-120's for almost a year now and I've recently had to replace the one stylus. Im coming from 44-7s because I wanted a higher signal for use with serato. I've been djing for almost 14 yrs now, on the same 1200s as well, and I've never once heard of breaking in needles. I guess because I've never had any issues until now and searching the internet has been the first place to mention break in.

So the problem im having now after only 1 week on the new needle is the signal coming through SDJ is horrible. There was the typical .1 - .3 "pitch sway" which I'm used to... HOWEVER after about an hour of mixing tonight it went from the normal to dipping about 1.5 in either direction. The needle is clean, and only cleaned with the provided ortofon brush. I've also switched turntables to make sure it was that specific needle and not the pitch control failing with the same result. Since I had just replaced the needle I was being very easy with back cueing and avoiding scratching altogether to prolong its life. Both needles have the same turntable calibrations too. Contact points seem to be clean on both the tone arm and the head shell.

Could the lack of a break in cause my issue?

Any help is appreciated....I just hope I didn't waste my money buying these needles if this is going to be a reoccurring problem.
blackavenger 2:20 PM - 9 November, 2014
Sell those S-120s and buy the (white/black) Q-Berts........best Ortofons ever made, IMO.
dj jamalot 3:04 PM - 9 November, 2014
Or buy the Djs series best Ortofon's ever made, IMHO.
blackavenger 4:56 PM - 9 November, 2014
I had the Blue DJs at one time. I also had the Pink Scratches, the Silvers, and the Blacks. My friend has the S-120s.....still think the OG (white/black) Q-Berts are the best. ;-)
dj jamalot 5:02 PM - 9 November, 2014
Man i've had my blue Djs's since 1997 i've replaced the needles numerous times but i cannot seem to part with them they just work for me.
djvtyme85 8:18 PM - 9 November, 2014
q berts hands down. i have two s 120 conchords and only one works. other gives no signal on any turntable with any stylii...my homie brought the q berts the same day and his are flawless. other than that i used to love the nightclub series. now i'm using my shure but i miss the visibility of the ortofons
Mighty Dragon Sounds 12:26 AM - 10 November, 2014
Just recently migrated back to my Shure 44-7s for my primary all around use.... I loved my 120s with my Technics.... but with these Super OEM turntables that I have been using lately... Such as my Reloop RP8000s... I don't know if its the extra torque or what, but the 120s suck on them...... But the 44-7s worked gloriously!
blackavenger 12:45 AM - 10 November, 2014
Shure 44-7's are groove-huggers for sure, but they eat up my vinyl. That's fine when you are using CV, but terrible when you are using real vinyl. These records are old as is, and I have been playing them on/off for over 2 decades. I just can't risk destroying them......a lot of them are irreplaceable. Some would say the Q-Berts eat up vinyl too, but that has not been my experience with them.
Joee 12:52 AM - 10 November, 2014
Quote:
Shure 44-7's are groove-huggers for sure, but they eat up my vinyl.

the 44's have been the least record wearing needles i have ever owned

if setup correct no gram weight balanced arm & 3 grams on the counter weight they show be perfect
blackavenger 1:48 AM - 10 November, 2014
That hasn't been my experience w' the 44-7s.
It's all good, I just prefer the Q-Berts....not just for the tracking, but the visibility as well.
Dj Rehab 4:34 PM - 10 November, 2014
m44 are the least wearing needles. Ortofons literally leave pieces of the record everywhere after a cut session..........